• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet another desperate thread about PS5 Backwards Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulipanzo

In a recent interview on GameSpark, SIE of Japan answered a question about PS1-PS2-PS3 BC on PS5.

While the answer amounts to "no comment", by this time last generation they had already confirmed only cloud based solutions would be used.
To be very cautiously optimistic, they are being more vague.

ManaByte

Gold Member
According to GAF, nobody buys a new console to play old games though

Like having it as an option is not necessary somehow..

Which is bullshit because one of the things I like most about my X is turning it on and having three generations of games right there. Four when the Series X hits.

And yes, I play old games. Was playing Castlevania Lords of Shadow and Hydro Thunder last night.

RasAlGhoul

Which is bullshit because one of the things I like most about my X is turning it on and having three generations of games right there. Four when the Series X hits.

And yes, I play old games. Was playing Castlevania Lords of Shadow and Hydro Thunder last night.

I don’t. Cool for you though.

GHG

Gold Member
Praise be for PC emulation.

But it shouldn't have to be this way. Sony are taking the piss with this. Just fucking allow people to play what they want from the ps1-ps3 era, the emulators exist ffs.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

But it shouldn't have to be this way. Sony are taking the piss with this. Just fucking allow people to play what they want from the ps1-ps3 era, the emulators exist ffs.
Would be funny if MS just let these onto their store for people to use.

Kokoloko85

I think the narrative is it isn't enough to swop consoling sides just because one sides does BC.

Being able to play 360 games on the Xbox one wasn’t enough to turn new and old fans away from PS4 clearly.
Basically it dont matter for console sales too much.

I will buy one in the future to play my old OG xbox games on it though and the best of next gen exclusives.

Id love to be able to play PS1, PS2 & PS3 games on PS5 but not being able isn’t gonna change my mind on what console to buy next gen.

Portugeezer

Would be funny if MS just let these onto their store for people to use.
Yes, but legally I don't think it's possible. Don't some emulators require some sort of copyrighted bios or whatnot? I am unsure if the terms.

You also have the case that they wouldn't even allow a 360 emulator on their store.

iJudged

Banned

excuse me yesss they do when it comes to PS, but regarding Xbox, as good as their BC is, it will never be good enough for gaf.

Also, we all knew this already, this is absolutely nothing new and it does not warrant a new thread, imho.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

That's in many cases not n emulation, most of the games for PC works natively.

Miles708

In a recent interview on GameSpark, SIE of Japan answered a question about PS1-PS2-PS3 BC on PS5.

While the answer amounts to "no comment", by this time last generation they had already confirmed only cloud based solutions would be used.

I'll never stop believing in complete, offline, disc-based PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 backwards compatibility, even in the face of hopeless and overwhelming proof of the contrary.

Tulipanzo Tulipanzo I'm with you on this, and will always be, until history will sweep us away.

Last edited:

stranno

I wouldn't expect anything from PS, PS2, PS3, PSP or PSV.

Playstation 4 only has a pretty amazing fully software PS2 emulator. No PS, PS3 or PSV emulation at all. There's a very basic PSP software emulation for Japan Studio's Remasters. But, amazingly enough, they only run each remastered game from the whole PSP catalog, so it's probably the wildest HLE emulation ever seen (oh, Parappa emulator build also runs Lumines and Puzzle Bobble, for some reason).

They spend less resources on Software Engineering in every generation, so..

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I would say that's not really true of Xbox fans. I think most of us love Xbox BC, especially the FREE remasters when Xbox & 360 games get the X enhanced treatment. When was the last time you saw any Xbox fans begging for a Mass Effect or FO 3 remaster?

Arkam

Would kill for real PS1-PS4 BC.... but not holding my breath. MS is the leader in this realm right now and even their BC is super spotty for Xbox and X360. Cant see Sony leapfrogging them on this front (for the same reasons).

FranXico

I would love to have it, but you would do well to get used to the idea of only getting the bare minimum (PS4 only).
Keep in mind though, it's not just about including emulators in the firmware, the games have to be licensed all over again, which can become a logistic nightmare, especially for older (PS1) games.
I doubt Sony would be willing to put that much effort into that. Hoping to be proven wrong, of course. We'll see.

Arkam

Why does Sony wanna support BC on PS5 then?

I would guess it has more to do with perception of value by the user who "imagines" they would go back an play their old catalog. So whether a person uses or not is kinda moot as long as the person thinks they will is all that matters for it to be attributed value.

sublimit

Banned

How are they "being more vague"??
He just declined to answer regarding PS1/PS2/PS3 BC which makes this whole thread pointless.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

Woffls

Expecting no B/C prior to PS4, and eventually you'll get the option to buy emulated PS1/2 games and you'll bloody like it.

Silvawuff

For me it would be nice because I never got a PS4 Pro, but I may play some titles down the line that would take advantage of a "PS4 Pro Mode" if the PS5 had it...which I sure as hell hope it would.

FranXico

I would guess it has more to do with perception of value by the user who "imagines" they would go back an play their old catalog. So whether a person uses or not is kinda moot as long as the person thinks they will is all that matters for it to be attributed value.
But that same logic applies to literally any optional feature.
The conclusion can only be that value is given by the consumer and that all optional features ultimately do add value.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
No it does not. That's the definition of BC: playing old game on the new console.
Nobody buys a new console exclusively to play old games. I don' think there's anyone that dumb

And no, its not "the definition of BC" .. Its not like I'm getting a PS5 and not play a single PS5 game. Lol what??

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Playing my PS1/PS2 games is the only reason I'd buy a PS5.

I probably spend more time playing those then any current-gen console games as it is. Add better save-states, button mapping, etc on the PS5 and it'd be a winner. I know, I know; they want to re-sell the games as part of their digital collection. But fuck that, I have them on disc.

Arkam

The conclusion can only be that value is given by the consumer and that all optional features ultimately do add value.

True. And I think it does work the same way for many optional features. I think where this carries extra water is that many have tangible backlogs (either physical or digital). BUt this is just my personal take on why it might be "worth it" for Sony to follow MS lead.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
If people cared about this feature, why was it removed from PS3?
Because it cost them too much money with how much tech was in the PS3. They essentially included an entire PS2 in the system. Which is exactly why they waited quite a while for the library to build up before they took it out and did a system revision, and the goof troop that is Sony fanboys were so over the moon with Uncharted 2 that they didn't even notice Sony blasting them in the ass when they took it out.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned

Yeah, it's not like you need a laser that can read PS1 games, another one that reads PS2 games, and then spend lots of effort in emulating the PS3 properly.

Let's ignore the hardware requirements for the sake of your argument, why not.

Playing my PS1/PS2 games is the only reason I'd buy a PS5.

I probably spend more time playing those then any current-gen console games as it is.

Perhaps you do but - no offense - what is your relevance against millions of other PS4/Xbox One players?

I am repeating myself but the data shows this feature isn't as popular as GAFers think. Why would people argue with the data or facts?

NahaNago

I honestly think they should just create an expensive retro console that handles bc for all past playstation consoles. That way the bc crowd gets what they want and the casual crowd can buy the cheaper newer console for the yearly releases of madden, cod, and fifa.

Chromata

The Spiderman stand alone isn't enough to make me get a PS5 early. At this point, the only thing that can convince me to do that is if I can play 4k60fps versions of Persona 5 Royal, Spiderman, TLOU2, GoW, and GoT.

The real reasons why I'd want a PS5 (demon's souls and horizon) are a ways off.

Last edited:

FranXico

Yeah, it's not like you need a laser that can read PS1 games, another one that reads PS2 games, and then spend lots of effort in emulating the PS3 properly.

Let's ignore the hardware requirements for the sake of your argument, why not.
Most standard blu-ray optical drives do have all lasers. PS4 BR drives as well. In fact, it probably costs more to have drives manufactured without the other lasers.
You do need to pay licensing fees to support playback of the various disc formats.

Last edited:
Of course you are right but every extra feature (like BC) requires some focus/effort/time/R&D budgets. If you put it against possible gains (more players attracted to specific platform? More money spend on those games via digital stores?) it might not be worth it. For PS1/PS2/PS3 emulation/compatibility on PS4 it required plenty of effort and wasn't worth it. For PS4/PS5 it's relatively simple. I don't know why people still don't get it?

KAL2006

Banned
While nice I don't think this is a major selling point that will sell consoles. People only care about their PS4 library. And many PS3 games have been ported to PS4.

However it would be nice to have. It would be so easy to implement for PS1, PS2 and PSP emulation as they already have a working emulator for those platforms. Just remove the trophy requirement and they can easily implement BC for atleast PS1, PS2 and PSP.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
This thread won't seem to go anywhere with a short rough translation of a snippet in the article.

It will just be another BC argument thread between fans of both camps.

Here is a Google Translate version of the article title:
Upgrade to PS5 version is possible even with used discs-Confirm with SIE about backward compatibility that you care about

If a native speaker wants to take on the tedious task of translating the article itself entirely, then a thread would be more worthy of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom