• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet more Majora's Mask teasing. (Interview in Game Informer.)

Rich!

All 4? TP and SS would be nice to have HD but OoT and MM would look hideous in HD. Why would anyone want that?

via emulation:

Majoras-mask-gameplay.png

yeah, a straight HD port would be nasty (although playing it in 1080p widescreen is definitely better than on an N64, and my preferred way of playing it). It would need a full remake.

OOT 3D style is the way to go. That'd be ideal, anything further is just wishful thinking.

Tom_Cody

I still kinda think that in the same way A Link to the Past was influential for building A Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask will be used as a kinda template/influence for building Zelda Wii U.
Link Between Worlds was the most non-linear Zelda of the last 20 years and Majora's Mask was the most strictly linear (the main game at least).

I just want Link Between Worlds' structure with a new completely new HD environment. Give me that and I will be in heaven.

via emulation:

yeah, a straight HD port would be nasty (although playing it in 1080p widescreen is definitely better than on an N64, and my preferred way of playing it). It would need a full remake.

OOT 3D style is the way to go. That'd be ideal, anything further is just wishful thinking.
Nasty indeed. Superior VC version is my preferred way to play MM...until that 3DS version. I mean I'd love some fancy, full HD remake like everyone else (even though I'd love having my 2nd fave game portable just as much) but I know that isn't financially feasible and would require far more effort than what went into WW HD (which already had HD assets).

Link Between Worlds was the most non-linear Zelda of the last 20 years and Majora's Mask was the most strictly linear (the main game at least).

I just want Link Between Worlds' structure with a new completely new HD environment. Give me that and I will be in heaven.
The main game of MM is only half the game. The other half (aka side quests) is just as non-linear as ALBW. I actually much prefer the MM approach. Have a solid main game with a solid side quest structure. For all ALBW's freedom, it sacrificed a lot of depth in level design to achieve it and I didn't care too much for that level of compromise.

Tom_Cody

3DS is cool, but i'd rather see it on Wii U. Wii U is the thing that needs games. How hard would it be to release on both? It would be nice to see all 4 3D Zeldas remade for HD.
It belongs on 3DS and even then it will be a niche title. A niche title that I will happily buy.

clubstoic

Banned
via emulation:

OOT 3D style with the new additions, high frame rate, and hopefully some high res textures thrown in. Everybody would love it.

Rich!

OOT 3D style with the new additions, high frame rate, and hopefully some high res textures thrown in. Everybody would love it.

yep.

OOT 3D looks fucking fantastic, and is a genuine reason to never, ever, ever go near the N64 version again. MM 3D needs to do the same.

Please. I missed this game when it came out and would love to play it.

It's been on the Wii VC for like, six years.

Either way, you should wait now, as the 3DS version is pretty much inevitable.

Tom_Cody

The main game of MM is only half the game. The other half (aka side quests) is just as non-linear as ALBW.
Well yeah, that's why I wrote my post in the way that I did.

If they want to layer a robust side quest system on top of an ALBW-esque main quest then I certainly won't complain.

The primary purpose of my original post was that 3-day system, while distinctive and memorable, was also restrictive and linear and it should not be used in future Zeldas.

Let's have MM on 3DS. That will be fine and good.

Dice//

Banned
I remember playing MM originally; it was dark and I didn't really care for it, especially the limited time mechanic.

I'll still probably pick this up if it gets a proper update/remake, though!

I suck at time management. I'd kill for an MM remake to have an easy mode that lets you keep loot after you rewind time and stop time in dungeons (where passing time just serves more to agitate than anything). :(

Love to see this anyways. The game needs a graphical facelift though.

Well yeah, that's why I wrote my post in the way that I did.

If they want to layer a robust side quest system on top of an ALBW-esque main quest then I certainly won't complain.

The primary purpose of my original post was that 3-day system, while distinctive and memorable, was also restrictive and linear and it should not be used in future Zeldas.

Let's have MM on 3DS. That will be fine and good.
It's weird. On face value the 3-day system might feel restrictive and linear in that it seems to force you to push towards a singular goal and nothing else, but when fully understood and played within the context and boundaries it really opens up the game significantly. At least it does for me. I never really felt like I was being pushed and the ability to rewind time when I felt like it made me feel like the God of Termina. But I do understand your point.

Tunic

I hope so! I want a remake to this game so bad. But I will be thoroughly excited if it is a sequel or something of that sort for the Wii U. I just want more Majora's Mask period!

It's weird. On face value the 3-day system might feel restrictive and linear in that it seems to force you to push towards a singular goal and nothing else, but when fully understood and played within the context and boundaries it really opens up the game significantly. At least it does for me. I never really felt like I was being pushed and the ability to rewind time when I felt like it made me feel like the God of Termina. But I do understand your point.

They should have told you from the beginning that you can slow the progression of time way down if you play the song backwards (the inverted song of time).

You have enough time to do what you want .

It is honestly not that big of a deal, yes, you have to try to start the longer quests at the beginning of day one (pirate/ Zora egg quest)...but it really isn´t THAT restrictive (as you said).

Anth0ny

via emulation:

HD definitely looks ugly in that shot, but just try playing the N64 or even VC version on an HDTV. It looks atrocious.

OOT 3D style is definitely the way to go. I wish I could play it on my TV, though.

Rich!

HD definitely looks ugly in that shot, but just try playing the N64 or even VC version on an HDTV. It looks atrocious.

OOT 3D style is definitely the way to go. I wish I could play it on my TV, though.

I've got an RGB modded N64 and a superb Sony RGB CRT.

and Majora's Mask still looks shit. Games like Mario 64 and Banjo look fantastic.

zroid

Banned
Some people quoted to me a segment of Hiromasa Shikata's interview in Game Informer (the same interview where it's said 60FPS won't necessarily be standard for Zelda in the future.) Be warned, a minor A Link Between Worlds spoiler is present.

Just announce the damn remake already!

щ(ºДºщ)

Please, no remake, remaster or sequel. They've already managed to piss on ALttP, OoT and TWW in the past 3 years, so I dread the same thing happening to MM. Besides, Nintendo should be focusing on how to move the franchise forward, rather than trying to prey off of people's nostalgia like they have been since New Super Mario Bros.

Rhapsody

Banned
They should have told you from the beginning that you can slow the progression of time way down if you play the song backwards (the inverted song of time).

They kind of did. But I guess a lot of people didn't talk to the scarecrow.
I suppose if they could've told people in the main game though.

But yeah. I never really found the time thing to be that difficult like some people made it out to be. It was a little difficult to do some stuff like find all the fairies on a first attempt through the dungeon, but nothing too bad outside of sidequests.

Rich!

Please, no remake, remaster or sequel. They've already managed to piss on ALttP, OoT and TWW in the past 3 years.

53727-When-I-read-the-solution-code-3xIl.gif

So...releasing a brilliant handheld version of Ocarina of Time, a beautiful HD port of Wind Waker and the greatest Zelda since Majora's Mask in Link Between Worlds constitutes as pissing on the franchise?

Hell, if that's the case then Nintendo need to piss over some other things. Like F Zero and Metroid.

SegaShack

As long as they do it like the Ocarina of Time 3D Remake/Port and not like Star Fox 64 3D, I will be very happy.

The developers for Ocarina of Time 3D knew exactly how to better the game and knew not to mess with the majority of things.

That being said, I already own Majora's Mask on Gamecube (better resolution than N64 too) so despite the benefit of having Majora's Mask now be a portable game I don't care much for another re-release.

We sure as hell didn't need Wind Waker HD, that's for certain. The same can be said for Luigi's Mansion 2. I guess Nintendo likes continuing Gamecube games that weren't that great in the first place.

As long as they do it like the Ocarina of Time 3D Remake/Port and not like Star Fox 64 3D, I will be very happy.

The developers for Ocarina of Time 3D knew exactly how to better the game and knew not to mess with the majority of things.

That being said, I already own Majora's Mask on Gamecube (better resolution than N64 too) so despite the benefit of having Majora's Mask now be a portable game I don't care much for another re-release.

We sure as hell didn't need Wind Waker HD, that's for certain. The same can be said for Luigi's Mansion 2. I guess Nintendo likes continuing Gamecube games that weren't that great in the first place.

Over 3 million copies sold. Perhaps we didn't need it, but millions (myself included) certainly wanted it when it was made available.

Tom_Cody

id58KEWfGwBvX.gif

SoilBreak

Banned

We sure as hell didn't need Wind Waker HD, that's for certain. The same can be said for Luigi's Mansion 2.
I guess Nintendo likes continuing Gamecube games that weren't that great in the first place.

speaking for yourself

Rich!

And I just love the hype and rumors floating around that now.

Neogafing is BELIEVE!

as I've said in other threads, MM 3D is pretty much definitely gonna happen:

1. Majora's Mask is literally the first thing you see in A Link Between Worlds, and you see it every single time you re-visit your house (which is a lot). Aonuma requested for it to be there. Why? Well, it's obvious.

2. They've hinted at MM in interviews many times now. The OP here is merely another to add to the pile.

3. Club Nintendo released a Majora's Mask soundtrack for seemingly no reason last year. Hmmmm. How...random?

4. The engine and majority of character models are already done (OOT 3D).

5. Bill Trinen posted a screenshot of his character wearing Majora's Mask in Animal Crossing.

It's pretty much happening.

The 3DS HD port would be great.
Just add a extra storyline after beating the main story quest that leads to finding Navi Damnit.

Rich!

The 3DS HD port would be great.
Just add a extra storyline after beating the main story quest that leads to finding Navi Damnit.

The way I interpreted the story was that Link went to find Navi, went through the events of Majora's Mask, and then never found her. He then grew old alone, died and turned into the undead knight that trains you in Twilight Princess.

I may be totally wrong though. Either way, there's room for more games in the Hero of Time storyline.

Jackano

I don't think so. Linears Zeldas are dungeons, and the item you grab inside it allow you to proceed to the next dungeon.
MM had only 4 dungeons but great quests between each of them: The Zora/Gerudo one in particular even if OoT had a Gerudo event too.
Unless you are strictly talking about the order you are able to do the dungeons, those quests made the pacing very good for a Zelda game, and not feeling linear at all, giving how harder it was to get to the dungeons.

mihon

1. Majora's Mask is literally the first thing you see in A Link Between Worlds, and you see it every single time you re-visit your house (which is a lot). Aonuma requested for it to be there. Why? Well, it's obvious.

2. They've hinted at MM in interviews many times now. The OP here is merely another to add to the pile.

3. Club Nintendo released a Majora's Mask soundtrack for seemingly no reason last year. Hmmmm. How...random?

5. Bill Trinen posted a screenshot of his character wearing Majora's Mask in Animal Crossing.

I'm counting on that!

Really excited by this especially as I have never got beyond the first two areas.

Would love to complete this, but I also hope Nintendo implement some sort of 'quick save' feature, which would be necessary for a handheld imo.

A special edition wouldn't be bad either...I'm thinking a skull kid model with Majora's Mask, or a collection of the main masks etc

I can't remember that the time-limit in Majoras Mask was so limited, I can't imagine completing Great Bay Temple in an hour.

I used to play it slowed down, but it's still a pretty daunting time-limit.

Tom_Cody

? how does this console game belong on 3DS?
First I'll quote this:
Well, OOT 3D is pretty much the definitive version of the game. MM deserves the same treatment.

And it's never gonna appear on the Wii U.
And then this:
In my post I specifically meant that in 2014, what I want from Majora's Mask is a 3DS remake. It is unrealistic to ask for an HD remake and, even if Nintendo were to do that, I would be annoyed about them allocating their manpower in that way.

DryvBy

I sure hope this is a remake on the WiiU and the 3DS. It's my 2nd favorite Zelda of all time. Dark and creative. Good blend.

D-e-f-

Banned
I can't remember that the time-limit in Majoras Mask was so limited, I can't imagine completing Great Bay Temple in an hour.

I used to play it slowed down, but it's still a pretty daunting time-limit.

Time is really never an issue unless you're running around completely confused forever.

Tom_Cody

I don't think so. Linears Zeldas are dungeons, and the item you grab inside it allow you to proceed to the next dungeon.
MM had only 4 dungeons but great quests between each of them: The Zora/Gerudo one in particular even if OoT had a Gerudo event too.
Unless you are strictly talking about the order you are able to do the dungeons, those quests made the pacing very good for a Zelda game, and not feeling linear at all, giving how harder it was to get to the dungeons.
To be clear, as I said in my other follow-up post, I am referring to the progression through the main quest and dungeons.

Let me try to better explain myself. Most Zelda titles following the original have had largely linear main quests, meaning there is always one specific thing that you have to do next at any given time to move forward. Whether that means a fetch quest or progressing through a dungeon, there is one specific thing you need to be doing to advance. Some have select dungeons that can be done out of sequence or side dungeons. Majora's Mask has four dungeons (with lead-up quests associated with them). These follow a firm sequence and so in that sense it is exactly as linear as other Zelda titles. The reason I said that MM is more linear and restrictive than other Zelda titles is that the time system further curbs your agency as a player. At any given time you have less control over what do can do towards accomplishing the main quest owing to this system.

Now, let's just be clear, I'm not saying that I don't like Majora's Mask. I love Majora's Mask. What I'm saying is that it is an interesting stand-alone experiment and I would prefer to see future Zelda title's following in the non-linear footsteps of ALBW more than I would like to see them play with interesting but restrictive experimental systems like the one in Majora's Mask.

Tom_Cody

I agree completely. I think they're just trying to slowly build hype within the Nintendo fan community and additionally I think they would prefer to release it once the 3DS install base is closer to its saturation point.

bomma_man

It depends on what you mean by that. If you mean the time limit returning/only four dungeons, count me out. If you mean having great atmosphere, sidequests, and npcs, sure.

You can't really separate the time limit from the sidequests and NPCs, one is the source of the other.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Don't forget, they also said they were interested in remaking either ALBW or MM like a year ago.
And this
13304.jpg

And really, the most obvious point, they've no reason not to do it.

Top Bottom