• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yo-kai Watch 2 coming out on September 30th in North America

Yeah, but to be fair it seems like in usual Level 5 fashion they always intended to launch an anime adaptation alongside the game, whereas the Pokemon anime came about more organically due to the popularity of Red and Green.

that's only in the west cause they are doing this cross media promotion thingy with the anime, games and toys

the game came out in japan for about half a year before the anime started airing

Yokai Watch is a very enjoyable game. It's only flaw is the automatic battle system, hopefully they improve upon it in future versions.
It may not have a lot of strategic elements like Pokémon, but the story battles in Yokai Watch are very intense, really challenging, rewarding and fun. Most of the bosses leave you on the edge and screaming for life, something that Pokémon has failed to deliver for years now.

I think it's fair to assume that Level-5 did some small tweaks in Yokai Watch 2, but overall it's the same battle system. They are making massive changes in Yokai Watch 3 though.

YO-KAI WATCH 2 finally getting announced on my birthday is enough to satisfy my day. Cheers to me getting older!~
Happy birthday fellow Yo-kai Watch stan! <3

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The EU date was held up due to delays with the anime in Europe, so if they get that sorted out ahead of time, it might be a simultaneous release. Australia had the anime lined up at the same time as the US and they got the game simultaneously, after all.

A month later is not simultaneously, and at any rate Australia does not need Multi-5, so they could more easily release both sooner. It's happened with a tiny number of games for Australia (like Animal Crossing) that got a much later EU release with more languages.

And at any rate, that new Style Savvy/New Style Boutique game and Yokai Watch essentially swapped release timings between NA and EU in November 2015.

Maxinas

It may not have a lot of strategic elements like Pokémon, but the story battles in Yokai Watch are very intense, really challenging, rewarding and fun. Most of the bosses leave you on the edge and screaming for life, something that Pokémon has failed to deliver for years now.

I think it's fair to assume that Level-5 did some small tweaks in Yokai Watch 2, but overall it's the same battle system. They are making massive changes in Yokai Watch 3 though.

When you put it like that, yeah it adds difficulty and that is a good thing. But I'd like that difficulty to be less about my Yokai randomly loafing around and more about strategy.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The 3DS is really building a nice lineup in NA this year with all of the localizations. I'm not super interested in any of them in particular, but this feels like it'll end up being one of the 3DS's best years.

Exclusive picture of JoeM86 on the pre-order line.

ZIYXfE9.jpg

YO-KAI WATCH 2 finally getting announced on my birthday is enough to satisfy my day. Cheers to me getting older!~

Woooooo! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I'll end up purchasing both versions, but not sure which one I'll play as my main game. I'll probably wait to see the covers. I'm a bit surprised at the titles but then I like the titles too!

Wagram

Good luck getting any press coverage close to FFXV. Whether XV is amazing, good, meh, or shit. The air in the room for Yokai Watch will be non existent during that week.

Fantastic news. More JRPG goodness for the 3DS this year.

Also interesting to hear that the anime is on Netflix now, I'll have to watch it.

Meffer

I'm interested in the series and would rather skip to the second game, based on what I've heard.

Well, the first one is good. While it is the first game so it doesn't have the bells and whistles from the second game, I'm not gonna lie. But it's still a fun game all around and buying it would help support it so the likelihood of the second game to come over increases.

Despite getting the first at launch, I won't be getting this one until (if) the third version releases. I don't think releasing 2 versions is a smart idea with the current popularity of the franchise in NA.

When you put it like that, yeah it adds difficulty and that is a good thing. But I'd like that difficulty to be less about my Yokai randomly loafing around and more about strategy.

there are ways to make your yokai not loaf around at all either by training them or by using certain yokai in your party.

Despite getting the first at launch, I won't be getting this one until (if) the third version releases. I don't think releasing 2 versions is a smart idea with the current popularity of the franchise in NA.

copy and past post from gamefaqs about the popularity in america.

The first sold over 200k since december 2015, it's also got successful toys, tv show, and manga that also sells and they promote each other. People also forget that these games have NO production costs other than translation. It's already all sunk costs for Japan, and made up 1,000 times over.

snowmint

Doesn't the yokai watch show do well on XD? Lots of marathons here and there unlike a certain other animu named Doreamon...

copy and past post from gamefaqs about the popularity in america.

I never said it wasn't popular. I just don't think it is popular enough to warrant up to 3 versions. Pokemon does it, but each version of Pokemon sells at least 5 million.

I've also seen the ratings for the anime in the US. Consistent, but still not super good.

Boogiepop

How much is going to be missing if they haven't shifted the Shinuchi stuff into the original 2 versions? Like, how much/what did it add?

Velcro Fly

Ok now I'm greedy. Give me LBX2. I know the first one sold like turd but dammit I want it anyway!

Also am I a bad person for immediately considering buying both versions. I do it with pokemon but I'm guessing these have more than one save file?

Also RIP wallet in September fucking hell.

Assume it doesn't. They said "over 100 new Yo-Kai". This is correct for the first two games but if they had the third version's shit included I believe they would've said "over 200".

That's really dumb. It would've made more sense to have YW2's localization be a split version of Shinuchi (like what happened with Pokemon Ao back in the day). So they could get to YW3 quicker.

I never said it wasn't popular. I just don't think it is popular enough to warrant up to 3 versions. Pokemon does it, but each version of Pokemon sells at least 5 million.

I've also seen the ratings for the anime in the US. Consistent, but still not super good.
Well at the time, YW was at its highest peak in Japan to be fair. Obviously, the case outside of Japan is different.

Violet_0

Banned
Yokai Watch is a very enjoyable game. It's only flaw is the automatic battle system, hopefully they improve upon it in future versions.
I thought the battle system was fine but what killed me was capturing monsters. They really need to change that.

unexciting (honestly, in my opinion, dreadfully boring) battle system, pretty annoying method of capturing the yokai, lots of dull sidequest. On the other hand, great presentation and nice-looking overworld, but that alone can't carry the game. I dropped it after about 8 hours

So people who are in the know, what are the version exclusives? I want to know which copy to get.
I don't know which one corresponds to Ganso and which one corresponds to Honke, but here are the one-offs that you won't be able to just trade on here for:

Ganso:
Slimamander
Venoct
Leader of the Ganso army

Honke:
Angry boat fish leader dude
Kyubi
Leader of the Honke army

For online play, Slimamander is one of the best Yo-Kai because his ability lets his spirit technique hit all three of the enemy yo-kai instead of just one. You usually combine it with a Yo-Kai that lets Slimamander take a turn in his place to let Slimamander attack more. Then you pair those two with a tank and do one of a few methods to make Slimamander's attacks stronger and you can just nuke everything if your opponent doesn't know what they're doing.

The leader of the honke army is really good, too, but as a support role; he takes the hit for a nearby yo-kai that would otherwise kick the bucket,

Ventara

Man, I still have the first one I bought on day one sealed somewhere. Should probably play that before this comes out.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Thanks to Wibble Wobble, the manga, and other sources, there are already several localized names (for people familiar with the Japanese version)

Shishimaru --> Lie-In
Man'ojishi --> Lie-In Heart
Akaname --> Tublappa
Onigirizamurai --> Slicenrice
Captain Bully --> Sergeant Burly
Noppera-bou --> Faysoff
Ittangomen --> So-sorree
Odenjin --> Master Oden
Apelican retains his name
Urayameshi --> Wotchagot
Pridon --> Pride Shrimp
Asekkaki --> Swelton
Hitosu-me Kozo --> Boyclops
Kizunameko --> Tongus
Kizunazu --> Nurse Tongus
Karakasa-obake --> Pallysol
Zashiki-warashi --> Gnomey
Zashiki-warashin --> High Gnomey
Hareotoko --> Ray O'Light
Matenshi --> K'mon-K'mon
Gabunyan --> Dracunyan
Todomeki --> Eyesoar
MitoMEN --> Nosirs
Jigajii-san --> Papa Windbag
Omoidasuppon --> Flushback
Rokurokubi --> Lady Longnek
Fuyunyan --> Hovernyan
Sankyuu-nyuudou --> Danke Sand
Taifuu-no-Me --> Eyeclone
Kin and Gin retain their names
Gashadokuro G --> Goldy Bones

There might be some I missed.

Bladenic

It's pretty weird that they didn't just bring over the third version.

Yeah. Unless they do plan on bringing the third one too. Wish they would clarify. Hopefully someone asks. But if they do bring the third one I feel like that would just push 3 and possibly Busters even further away

aadiboy

Don't know why anyone would buy these versions instead of waiting for the third version that was already released in Japan.

Top Bottom