• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yokai Watch Anime Scores Average TV Debut (Ratings)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
According to ShowDaillyBuzz, Yokai Watch's first U.S. airing scored a 300k viewership on Disney XD.

Furthermore, it placed 85th on the P18-49 demo for Monday's ratings.

Yokai Watch aired at 5pm yesterday - it's an average, but solid debut given the network it currently airs.

Though the comparison is not apt, Pokemon XY airs on Cartoon Network and achieved a 1.05 million viewership at 8:00 am on Saturday Oct 3rd.

Maybe viewership will increase moving forward (I hope so, it's actually good :p), next up Canadaland on Teletoon October 10th!

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-100-monday-cable-originals-network-update-10-5-2015.html#comment-151847
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-100-saturday-cable-originals-network-update-10-3-2015.html

Wonder if when it aired made a difference

Pokemon (since you are comparing it) airs on Saturday morning

Airing on Monday evening is pretty different on who's available to watch it

yami4ct

Has the series even had a big push for the merchandise and game yet? For the start of the franchise, average ratings aren't bad. Especially true given the state of action cartoons in the west. If the ratings don't start to improve once merchandise cranks up and the game hits, then we can say it's in trouble. Doubly so if the ratings drop, obviously.

vinnygambini

Wonder if when it aired made a difference

Pokemon (since you are comparing it) airs on Saturday morning

Airing on Monday evening is pretty different on who's available to watch it

I just put it up there since people will obviously ask where Pokemon is comparatively.

They are two distinct networks and airtime; hence why I mentioned the comparison is not apt but I put there anyway since people will ask nevertheless.

Has the series even had a big push for the merchandise and game yet? For the start of the franchise, average ratings aren't bad. Especially true given the state of action cartoons in the west. If the ratings don't start to improve once merchandise cranks up and the game hits, then we can say it's in trouble. Doubly so if the ratings drop, obviously.

Nothing much actually. Game is coming out next month, with a push at retail in early 2016.

Seems a little unfair comparing Pokemon ratings wise. Didn't the Pokemon game already have a year or two to gain an audience before the anime released in the states?

Mory Dunz

Comparing it to an established franchise like Pokemon seems a bit absurd to me

Why? It provides general context. And he said it wasn't apt anyway.
Comparing it to another Monday show would also be beneficial

And what if someone doesn't know about the channel or what shows normally do in the United States? They may assume Pokemon pulls like 5 million in the US or something.

Still, it was a debut so it will likely go down from here.

aadiboy

Seems a little unfair comparing Pokemon ratings wise. Didn't the Pokemon game already have a year or two to gain an audience before the anime released in the states?
The anime aired first in the States, iirc.

Also, why isn't this anime airing Saturday mornings or right after school (3-4)? Whose bright idea was it to air it at 5?

True Fire

I have a feeling it's going to fare a lot better in Canada on Teletoon. Teletoon has essentially become the de facto cartoon station ever since YTV tried to appeal to the Hannah Montana crowd.

I'm sure the game will do exceptionally well this Christmas (in Canada). I'm not sure about how popular Disney XD is?

Dominator

I think thats pretty good for something thats not established here at all, whereas Pokemon has been here forever. The game isn't even out yet either.

Also, why isn't this anime airing Saturday mornings or right after school (3-4)? Whose bright idea was it to air it at 5?

5 PM what timezone? Remember, the US has 4 major timezones, so 5 eastern is 3 mountain and 4 central

yami4ct

What did Pokemon's anime debut at?

The best I can find in a quick glance is this article about Kids WB during the debut season. http://www.timewarner.com/newsroom/press-releases/1999/05/27/kids-wb-sets-a-ratings-record-for-the-1998-99-broadcast-season. It was the number 1 show for its demographic at the time.

It's not a good comparison, though. A ton of things for different. 1) Pokemon was on it's way to being a phenomena right out of the gate. 2) The Saturday morning time slot it aired at was absolutely king in a way nothing really replicates now and 3) action cartoons were doing really well at the time. This was a real golden era, with things like Pokemon, Batman, and Digimon routinely doing big numbers. The action cartoon market has been pretty much collapsing in the US for some time.

Hopefully the Yokai Watch folks are smart and also get it on streaming services ASAP. Merchandise sales are more important for its long term health in the west than the tv ratings. They need to get it in front of as many kids as possible.

Considering it is Disney and not Nick/CN where there are more viewers, I think it is a moderate success. The sales will spike when the games come out like Pokémon.

Nope. The anime premiered here several weeks before the game released, but IIRC it did not have a set time slot and was a syndicated series. In my area it aired before 6am at first and I rarely had a chance to watch it.

I have a feeling it's going to fare a lot better in Canada on Teletoon. Teletoon has essentially become the de facto cartoon station ever since YTV tried to appeal to the Hannah Montana crowd.

I'm sure the game will do exceptionally well this Christmas (in Canada). I'm not sure about how popular Disney XD is?

Canadian TV ratings are like a drop in the bucket compared to the US though. If YW is to be considered a success in the West it needs to thrive in 'Murica.

Yup, looks like it was within a month of the games release. So I guess this is about the same push then timing wise as Pokemon was.

Timezone doesn't matter.

I mean, think about how weekend morning cartoons work.

Or most non-live shows for that matter.

Not sure what you mean. Whenever I watched cartoons as a kid, they always said timezone (Usually more than one), so I assume they don't change the programming between timezones

Not sure what you mean. Whenever I watched cartoons as a kid, they always said timezone (Usually more than one), so I assume they don't change the programming between timezones

sorry, remembered wrong

But I thought midday airings around this time they play around with the programming to account for this.

chiimisu

I think it'd be more fair to compare it to other L5 cartoons. Does anyone have initial ratings for Inazuma Eleven/Little Battlers? Can't look for them from the phone..

sorry, remembered wrong

I looked it up, and you were actually half right as was I. Networks typically have two or 3 different feeds for the US, one for East Coast and Central, 1 for West Coast, and possibly 1 for Mountain. The result is that West Coast and East coast both get at the same numeric time, but central and mountain usually get programs an hour earlier in numeric time. (So coasts would get a show at 9 ET, PT, while central and mountain times would get it at 8)

L Thammy

How well is the show localized? What I've read is that the show's success is partially due to its references to the Showa era, which attracts older audiences. I'd imagine that a lot of the appeal is lost when it's brought out of Japan.

I think it'd be more fair to compare it to other L5 cartoons. Does anyone have initial ratings for Inazuma Eleven/Little Battlers? Can't look for them from the phone..

Why other Level-5 shows? That only shows whether it was a better debut than Level-5's previous shows, not how good the debut was in the market. Compare it to the debuts of other shows that aim at the same demographic.

yami4ct

Inazuma Eleven even came over here? Man, didn't make much a dent if so. Remembering how they went about brining LBX over and it kind of seems like they bungled that as well. At least YW seems to be getting some sort of push.

Disney XD is literally the worst network to put a cartoon on.

You'd be shocked how much kids are now exposed to programs through streaming sources instead of networks. I bet those will end up being super key if they can make this last long term.

How well is the show localized? What I've read is that the show's success is partially due to its references to the Showa era, which attracts older audiences. I'd imagine that a lot of the appeal is lost when it's brought out of Japan.

Having watched the first two episodes dubbed and nothing subbed I can't compare Japanese version to English but the dub is very good on its own. The humor is pretty enjoyable for a kids cartoon without the usual awful kids puns or bad kids jokes you see in most other kids dubs like power rangers.

vinnygambini

Nope. The anime premiered here several weeks before the game released, but IIRC it did not have a set time slot and was a syndicated series. In my area it aired before 6am at first and I rarely had a chance to watch it.

Yup, Pokemon was syndicated until it moved to WB programming block - I used to wake up at 6:30am to watch the show ;.;

I tried finding LBX but couldn't find anything - if I'm not mistaken, Inazuma only came to Europe.

kewlbot

I'm gonna miss so much episodes cuz my cable is down
otherwise they'd have my view for sure

hoping this'll do well enough so we can get to play all the games at least, but i'm not so sure we'll get another Pokemon phenomenon here

love the series though, been watching it in japanese and i own a yokai watch with some medals shipping to my house very soon

Meffer

Why other Level-5 shows? That only shows whether it was a better debut than Level-5's previous shows, not how good the debut was in the market. Compare it to the debuts of other shows that aim at the same demographic.

Having watched the original, the dub is pretty damn good.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The best I can find in a quick glance is this article about Kids WB during the debut season. http://www.timewarner.com/newsroom/press-releases/1999/05/27/kids-wb-sets-a-ratings-record-for-the-1998-99-broadcast-season. It was the number 1 show for its demographic at the time.

It's not a good comparison, though. A ton of things for different. 1) Pokemon was on it's way to being a phenomena right out of the gate. 2) The Saturday morning time slot it aired at was absolutely king in a way nothing really replicates now and 3) action cartoons were doing really well at the time. This was a real golden era, with things like Pokemon, Batman, and Digimon routinely doing big numbers. The action cartoon market has been pretty much collapsing in the US for some time.

Hopefully the Yokai Watch folks are smart and also get it on streaming services ASAP. Merchandise sales are more important for its long term health in the west than the tv ratings. They need to get it in front of as many kids as possible.

Pokemon was on tv in the us before it was on kids wb. It also had the advantage of ita gabbo esque advertising where they would have hype commercials about the game without showing any gameplay

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I am curious to see how this pans out - the series strikes me as super Japanese (having sat through every single episode multiple times, played YW2, and dumped 80 hours into busters)

I wonder how it would translate :/

The other issue with the series is since the introduction of USApyo and Inaho the series has dived imo. Both characters are awful and the second they are on screen the kids and I switch off. And Vadermode ... Christ make it stop.

For my eldest - Friday evening YW used to be THE thing he looked forward to - since the change ? He simply doesn't care

Toparaman

Banned

I am almost 99% positive that Pokemon didn't start out on Kids WB. At least in my area, it started out on UPN and repeated itself every time after Charmander evolved into Charmeleon. Later, new episodes started airing on Kids WB. Wikipedia says similarly:
When the series started its broadcast in the United States, it was produced by 4Kids Entertainment and was syndicated until being moved to the Kids WB block on The WB.

If Pokemon was a hit from the first episode, I sure don't remember it.

vinnygambini

You'd be shocked how much kids are now exposed to programs through streaming sources instead of networks. I bet those will end up being super key if they can make this last long term.

Most kids in my entourage download the authenticated cable networks app and view the show on their tablet.

Crazy how viewing habits have changed.

kewlbot

I am curious to see how this pans out - the series strikes me as super Japanese (having sat through every single episode multiple times, played YW2, and dumped 80 hours into busters)

I wonder how it would translate :/

The other issue with the series is since the introduction of USApyo and Inaho the series has dived imo. Both characters are awful and the second they are on screen the kids and I switch off. And Vadermode ... Christ make it stop.

For my eldest - Friday evening YW used to be THE thing he looked forward to - since the change ? He simply doesn't care

really? i heard USApyon was really popular, even bigger than Jibanyan and he's been getting a lot of toy sales

Inazuma Eleven even came over here? Man, didn't make much a dent if so. Remembering how they went about brining LBX over and it kind of seems like they bungled that as well. At least YW seems to be getting some sort of push.

Oh, I'm aware, but it's also the next to last show on Disney XDs streaming website and isn't in huli or any other popular website.

Takao

Banned

Inazuma Eleven is streaming-only in North America and LBX airs/aired on a completely dead network.

Top Bottom