• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yomawari rated for Windows PC by ESRB

Eolz

I'm not sure if it was known, but I remember speculation about it after htoL #NiQ port announcement.
Glad to hear that!

Not a big suprise. The vita is slowly dying in western territory and smaller publisher looking for alternatives to generate more revenue.

At this point every major publisher is shifting toward PC in west. One or two didnt get the memo yet (Square Enix and Atlus even though the former is starting to get it) but every others see the benefits of Steam:
-An audience willing to buy a lot of these games on day one for the bigger titles
-A long term selling opportunity
-Cheap to port/developp for
-A base for future console ports

AniHawk

oh hey that thing i said

At this point every major publisher is shifting toward PC in west. One or two didnt get the memo yet (Square Enix and Atlus even though the former is starting to get it) but every others see the benefits of Steam:
-An audience willing to buy a lot of these games on day one for the bigger titles

square enix has been supporting steam for a while. atlus has an actual reluctance to support it though. i imagine that's not playing well with sega though, and given some of the other things going on recently with atlus, there will be some staff changes so atlus starts to bend more sega's way (not just supporting steam but on other stuff too like transforming atlus usa into sega of america).

oh hey that thing i said

square enix has been supporting steam for a while. atlus has an actual reluctance to support it though. i imagine that's not playing well with sega though, and given some of the other things going on recently with atlus, there will be some staff changes so atlus starts to bend more sega's way (not just supporting steam but on other stuff too like transforming atlus usa into sega of america).

Nah, Square Enix has a weird way to do so especially with their stealth release policy and late AAA port. Definitely not how you'd expect a major AAA to support a platform.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That reminds me, where's my Phantom Brave?

I think they said they don't want a repeat of Disgaea, and they're still trying to fix that.

Hopefully things are better for this release from the start.

I don't see how. A lot of people won't buy a console just for this game, nor will buy it day one. Even if it's a regular port, it will sell.

Well it probably won't change that much if it's still a decent port, but they certainly are losing out without launching at the same time. They will lose the sales of those who do have the other platforms and would have purchased this version if it was available, and not everyone who can't play it will still be interested later (which will depend on reception, price, etc.).

I've been keeping an eye out for Yomawari hoping it'll come over. I was a bit concerned that they'll kind of drag their feet and take an age in porting it over after localizing it first for Vita.

I've also got my fingers crossed for Disgaea D2 and 5.

oh hey that thing i said

To piggy back off if him. 'I am setsuna' is only releasing on PC in the West. Vita is totally ignored.

Eolz

Well it probably won't change that much if it's still a decent port, but they certainly are losing out without launching at the same time. They will lose the sales of those who do have the other platforms and would have purchased this version if it was available, and not everyone who can't play it will still be interested later (which will depend on reception, price, etc.).

I don't know. Even if that's a barebones port, you would still be able to have better resolution and graphics than on PS4/X1. They could perfectly release it at the same time as a PS4K patch for example (which would still be under a maxed PC version).
They don't need to add bells and whistles to have a graphic and performance difference.

Simple: Releasing outside of the marketing period means lesser sales.

It's not really the case for pc games/ports, sadly.

Durante

It's actually the case here too, at least to some extent.

Look at recent Japanese games like Dark Souls 3 and Tales of Zestiria. Those were released day-and-date with the console versions, and for both the PC version makes up a very significant chunk of the sales.

You can also successfully release late ports on PC, but there's no question in my mind that a day-and-date release is more profitable.

Eolz

It's actually the case here too, at least to some extent.

Look at recent Japanese games like Dark Souls 3 and Tales of Zestiria. Those were released day-and-date with the console versions, and for both the PC version makes up a very significant chunk of the sales.

You can also successfully release late ports on PC, but there's no question in my mind that a day-and-date release is more profitable.

Yeah, what I meant by that is that while it's more profitable to have a same month release, it's not like releasing a game on another console way later where you lose drastically more money doing that (if they were releasing FFXV on NX for example).
You lose some, but not as much for some publishers (especially japanese) to really care about that :/

Gimme all these Vita ports. Yomawari looks interesting, a bit like Corpse Party.

It's got a much cleaner (and creative) art style than CP and is much more survival horror in terms of avoiding encounters with monsters. It's a fun game with a ton of non-essential collectibles that flesh out the story and atmosphere. Some of the monster designs are fantastic.

I don't know. Even if that's a barebones port, you would still be able to have better resolution and graphics than on PS4/X1. They could perfectly release it at the same time as a PS4K patch for example (which would still be under a maxed PC version).
They don't need to add bells and whistles to have a graphic and performance difference.

It is the case though. Some people love to point out at successful late ports. All this means is these games could've sold more and at a higher price point.
Releasing a late port out of the marketing hype makes your product less new and interesting. So in that view, price point suffer because interest lowered. But you also expose your product to the reality of critics. Basically, word of mouth. Takes two games: Final Fantasy Type-O HD and Final Fantasy IX. In 2 months, at a similar price point (4 euro difference) IX outsold Type-O HD despite this one has been sold for a longer period and with 50% discounts. Why ? Because Type-O HD was the late port of a game which received bad word of mouth. Type-O HD could've sold a lot more if it received release parity which means release date and Duscae demo. It could've sold more than it did and at a higher price point.
FFIX was the late port of a cult classic. And FFX is on track to do better but it could've done so much more, if it wasnt stealth released 1 year late despite being completed 9 months ago.

Battlechili

Banned
Oh cool! I just saw this news a bit ago! I'm happy to see that NISA is staying busy on its PC ports and hope it keeps this up! They've got an incredible amount of work to do though, haha. htol#NiQ still has a couple more days to release, Criminal Girls was supposed to come out in April, Stranger of Sword City is on the horizon for a release and Phantom Brave is still sitting in the Steam database getting updates by the looks of it.
Maybe NISA will fix controller support on Disgaea PC too so that the analog stick actually functions differently from the d-pad along the way as well
. In any case, this is a hefty load for NISA to have I would think so I can't imagine this'll be over anytime soon. Course' the Vita release won't come until late this year.

On another note, I sure wish people didn't look at possible ports as meaning the death of the Vita. The Vita is a solid handheld and exclusivity isn't the only thing that holds it. Its nice having games on the go and I'm sure there are people who'd get this on Vita even if it did come out on PC.
I'm not sure if it was known, but I remember speculation about it after htoL #NiQ port announcement.
Glad to hear that!
Do you think Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight might also go this route at some point in the future?
To piggy back off if him. 'I am setsuna' is only releasing on PC in the West. Vita is totally ignored.
It is coming out on PS4 though.

AniHawk

Do you think Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight might also go this route at some point in the future?

i think the idea of a an exclusive vita game in the west is a dead one. this is not to say the vita will stop getting games. it will probably have retail releases through 2017 (which would mean through five years of its life, which is actually super good for it), but the games that are only on ps vita are probably getting ported to pc at least if they want to have a chance in the us.

Top Bottom