• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair review thread

Bullet Club

YEp9zb4.jpg

IGN: 8.7/10
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair brings the dynamic duo down to a 2.5D perspective to deliver one of the best platformers we’ve seen in years.

Destructoid: 7/10
Solid and definitely has an audience. There could be some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.

DualShockers: 7.5/10
Maybe it’s for those reasons that the team behind Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair wanted to avoid the eventual juxtapositions, but despite these criticisms, Playtonic and Team17 should be quite happy and proud of building a game that is at least worthy of comparison to some of the quality character platformers we’ve had as of late. Those games are few and far in between, and enthusiasts of that subgenre should find plenty to enjoy here. But for casual players, I recommend spacing out your play sessions and resist the urge to chuck your controller into your screen.

Vooks: 4/5
If you can either appreciate a masochistic final challenge or are happy to simply not worry about it, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is an excellent platformer from a team of veterans showing they can still produce nostalgic experiences that stand up to the best of the modern era. There’s an undeniable charm present throughout thanks to the gorgeous art design and a stellar soundtrack, and the combination of an extensive 3D overworld and tight 2D platforming makes for a thoroughly enjoyable adventure reminiscent of the platforming golden age. It feels just like catching up with an old friend, but just be prepared for the friend to randomly punch you in the kidneys as you go to say goodbye.

PushSquare; 7/10
A clear improvement on the original, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a pleasant surprise. It struggles to balance difficulty, but the end result is a robust and compelling platformer. It feels much more cohesive than its older brother and, free from the need to play to nostalgia, gives the characters and the world a better identity. It isn't perfect, but it's certainly a step in the right direction for Playtonic Games.

Twinfinite: 4/5
If you enjoyed the first game, or are a fan of platformers and collectathons in general, you should absolutely pick up this game.

Nintendo Life: 9/10
Donkey Kong Country fans rejoice: this is the spiritual successor you’ve been waiting for. The worst thing you could say about it is that the overworld exploration may prove to be too involved for those who are in it purely for the runny-jumpy stuff, but those who are happy to mix platforming with top-down adventuring and don’t mind adapting to the constantly changing pace will find the best of both worlds here. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a fantastic sophomore effort that pays tribute to Rare's past and establishes Playtonic as one of the UK's most exciting studios.

Nintendo Enthusiast: 9/10
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair marries a variety of platforming mechanics in a meaty campaign with tons of challenges ahead. It’s as polished as it is focused and as true to the genre as you can get. Now, sign me up for the next one.

Last edited:

ROMhack

If you enjoyed the first game, or are a fan of platformers and collectathons in general, you should absolutely pick up this game.

Seems like all you'd need to know really. It's definitely not my bag of chips but if one is so inclined to align themselves to this viewpoint, whether consciously or otherwise, then I imagine you'd receive much enjoyment out of this particular slice of downloadable content.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

It looks great and probably is great but boy does it look a little too similar to tropical freeze.
I'll get this one at a discount I'd say.

Saruhashi

Banned
Had an opportunity to play this last night and had some more time with the game this morning.

It's an excellent platformer that is very much like Tropical Freeze, which it awesome.

Lots of character and style. Solid, responsive controls.
If you like 2-D platform games then it's a must have in my opinion.

If you liked Tropical Freeze then you absolutely will love this.

The "impossible lair" concept is pretty intriguing.
I like the idea that they give you this brutally difficult level that you can try any time you like but through playing the game you can make it less brutal.

I wish more outlets would give more coverage to these smaller games instead of stoking outrage for clicks. :(

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t really give a shit about reviews (although I greatly appreciate the OP’s effort in collecting them), so, checking out footage of this on a whim, I was shocked to see how quality it looked.

My prior experience from the E3 stuff, was that it looked exceedingly mediocre, but the final product seems to have turned into something of a Tropical Freeze sister game, which is a high compliment to pay anything.

Rare has always been at its best, taking recent Nintendo designs, and putting their own spin on them. Perhaps this is just what Playtonic needed. Interest very much piqued.

Really looking forward to playing this game! The first one was kind of cool, but the lack of polish ruined it to me, it felt super cheap in many ways. Also, the camera made me super nauseous and should have been much more "fluid". Can't imagine how bad it must have been before all the patches..

Anyway, this game seems to be much improved in every way! I much prefer side-scrolling anyway 😍

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Had an opportunity to play this last night and had some more time with the game this morning.

It's an excellent platformer that is very much like Tropical Freeze, which it awesome.

I like the idea that they give you this brutally difficult level that you can try any time you like but through playing the game you can make it less brutal.

I wish more outlets would give more coverage to these smaller games instead of stoking outrage for clicks. :(

Is it the spiritual successor to Donkey Kong Country 2 for those that may not like the weighted controls of Returns?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Awesome. I took a chance by preordering this on GOG, so I'm glad to hear it turned out. Really glad it's such a departure in terms of quality from the first game.

I haven't played the first yooka laylee but i've been playing this new one for about 4-5 hours and its easily an 8/10 imo. I'm having so much fun with this game. So glad Yooka Laylee was given another chance. I hope everyone can give it a chance as some of these reviews definitely don't do it justice (looking at you gamespot 6/10 review)

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
I haven't played the first yooka laylee but i've been playing this new one for about 4-5 hours and its easily an 8/10 imo. I'm having so much fun with this game. So glad Yooka Laylee was given another chance. I hope everyone can give it a chance as some of these reviews definitely don't do it justice (looking at you gamespot 6/10 review)
I like the first game too. Their mistake was making the first world too open with some truly frustrating traversal without having all the moves. I suspect many people just quit after trying to play the first world

Silvawuff

Oh wow, this looks great. I didn't mind the original Yooka Laylee, but it was very clear it needed more time in the oven. I'm glad to see Playtonic taking its criticisms to heart and cooking up something new like this.

jaysius

Banned
The character movement in this game feels really off, like junk like in a budget indie game not from the makers of DKC, I play it on PS4 Pro.

Top Bottom