• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi gets its rip-off platform on Google Play

Durante

It's amazing what people try to sell on these mobile stores.

These are basically assets (and gameplay?) from a physics engine "many boxes" demo, together with a Yoshi model ripped off from who knows where and an absolutely terrible HUD. I'm willing to bet that even my (unreleased, <5% finished) Android game had more effort put into it.

Now you've got a lawsuit on your hands.

Couldn't they have at least attempted to change some of the art on Yoshi so that he does't look completely identical?

In all seriousness I'm sure this is just a placeholder model they grabbed from somewhere, and not indicative of an actual game.

Vexxan

Does Google Play not have any type of approving/moderation when it comes to stuff people put on their store? Seems like anything is accepted...

javac

Why do people want Nintendo to go 3rd party when you already have awful awesome Nintendo
rip-offs
like this on mobiles?

Xater

It's amazing what people try to sell on these mobile stores.

These are basically assets (and gameplay?) from a physics engine "many boxes" demo, together with a Yoshi model ripped off from who knows where and an absolutely terrible HUD. I'm willing to bet that even my (unreleased, <5% finished) Android game had more effort put into it.

It's probably people who don't really know what they are doing hoping to make some easy bucks.

Velcro Fly

I was expecting a shoddy imitation and not a fully 3D yoshi doing whatever that was. Holy crap people have no shame in completely ripping stuff of nowadays do they?

Sorry but I had to watch that again...and that music is no hyperbole, the WORST music Ive ever heard. Sound like a song that come on as soon as your stroll in a babies R us.

Ugh. And fireballs just appear in front of Yoshi's mouth, they don't even animate it... who I'm kidding? They just torrented some models and slap them on on the game!

And they even have the nerve to put this in the game:
552479_338661846250675_1261104193_n.png

It's funny, there was a time when we would've killed for a 3D game that looked that good. Even the trash now can have decent lighting effects, object physics and so on.

Don't get me wrong, it's crap. But it's funny what the standard of even crap is now.

lol
Chris B - February 28, 2013 - Motorola Droid II with version 1.1.3
GOTY 2013

Forget GTAV, Era is the game of the year! Featuring incredible visuals and gameplay that is accessible by casuals yet complex enough to satisfy the hardcore, this is truly a masterpiece. The story is masterfully crafted rivaling amazing tales such as Metroid: Other M, and is a passionate metaphor for our own inner pursuit of freedom. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you might even learn something new about yourself. Era's detailed figure renders like magic on my droid 2, and the entire product runs flawlessly at 60 FPS in 1080P (you'd need a $2000 PC to compare). I have never seen the incredible bokeh DoF effect or subsurface-scattering used like in this game, the pinnacle of graphical achievement. Crytek could learn a thing or two from this dev. Touchscreen controls are a breeze, with the left thumb used like an analog stick to control the majestic dinosaur through vivid forest lands. The right thumb is used to perform the leap technique, useful for jumping across deadly pits and boxes. In addition, you can use Era's signature fireball attack to rack up points - can YOU make it to the top of the leaderboards? Only one way to find out, purchase the full version of this game TODAY!

Ugly ugly... I love indie devs but this is not what I'm expecting when thinking about it. And clearly I wouldn't call them indie devs but not talented disrespectful people.

This is not creativity, this is just a poor rip-off. They don't respect copyright and more important this type of games is making the "real" games less valuable for some people who are just thinking : "Why would I pay 50$ for a Nintendo game when I can have the almost same game for a lot cheaper..." or they go further and pirate the original game.

Edit : it's the same when I see people making their kids playing with pirated games on their NDS... seriously how do they think? Is it a good way to explain the real value of things?

Chris B - February 28, 2013 - Motorola Droid II with version 1.1.3
GOTY 2013

Forget GTAV, Era is the game of the year! Featuring incredible visuals and gameplay that is accessible by casuals yet complex enough to satisfy the hardcore, this is truly a masterpiece. The story is masterfully crafted rivaling amazing tales such as Metroid: Other M, and is a passionate metaphor for our own inner pursuit of freedom. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you might even learn something new about yourself. Era's detailed figure renders like magic on my droid 2, and the entire product runs flawlessly at 60 FPS in 1080P (you'd need a $2000 PC to compare). I have never seen the incredible bokeh DoF effect or subsurface-scattering used like in this game, the pinnacle of graphical achievement. Crytek could learn a thing or two from this dev. Touchscreen controls are a breeze, with the left thumb used like an analog stick to control the majestic dinosaur through vivid forest lands. The right thumb is used to perform the leap technique, useful for jumping across deadly pits and boxes. In addition, you can use Era's signature fireball attack to rack up points - can YOU make it to the top of the leaderboards? Only one way to find out, purchase the full version of this game TODAY!
Is this real life? If that guy was on gaf that whole review would be his tag.

Crytek could learn a thing or 2. :lol

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
While the game looks horrible, I'd like to have the Yoshi model (which as far as I can see it is custom made, I can't come up with a game where Yoshi looks exactly like that) to make my own rip-off game with it (for me and friends, not to sell it, of course). Retro isn't making a Banjo-styled 3D platformer with Yoshi, so I need to do it myself ;).

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Wow...this just looks awful.

It's funny, there was a time when we would've killed for a 3D game that looked that good. Even the trash now can have decent lighting effects, object physics and so on.

Don't get me wrong, it's crap. But it's funny what the standard of even crap is now.
I doubt the graphics is the reason why people are calling it crap.

They should have had Mario riding on Yoshi shooting those lasers.

beril

Unity has greatly raised the bar for the tech in crappy rip off games

Top Bottom