• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi spotted on Mario Maker JP site

About as clase as you can get to official confirmaton Yoshi is in the game:

Edit: Looks like Kuribo's Shoe is in too!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/mario30th/index.html#/maker/

479909F2-C094-49ED-A2E1-94058E8252CB-6834-000007514C6C8AA0_zps45vaupy5.jpg

Will we get to make 8-bit Yoshi's and 8-bit Tanookis? YES PLEASE.

What about SMB3 Yoshi? Can such a thing exist?

Well, we have 8-bit wigglers for both SMB & SMW, SMB boo's, the ability to use lakitu's cloud in SMB, hammer bros in SMW so...all signs point to yes

I'm more interested in how far they'll go with some of the more exotic things. Will we get 8 bit/NSMB fishin' boo's? 16-bit/NSMB kuribo boots? And will we be able to make pipe rooms a'la ludvig von koopa's world in SMB3?

I already think it unlikely there will be elaborate secret exits/keys since we have no world map, but maybe at least a SMB 2-2/4-2 style warp room?

Kriken

Well Super Mario bros Deluxe had a Yoshi sprite iirc, so it'd make sense to use that for SMB and modify it a bit for SMB3 levels

Click on the "About" link on the JP site and there is now a scrolling bar showing Kuribo's Shoe and additional enemy types!

Don't forget that it's not a mario maker site per se, but a 30th anniversary site with a mario maker tab. Things on the about tab won't necessarily be in the game - though I hope they will.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I wonder how Yoshi will actually function though. WIll it be different depending if you're playing with the World or NSMB themes? Keep the flutter jump exclusive to NSMB and shells giving Yoshi different abilities to SMW.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well Super Mario bros Deluxe had a Yoshi sprite iirc, so it'd make sense to use that for SMB and modify it a bit for SMB3 levels

SMBDX also had Boo, which was just the SMW Boo with no shading. We've seen that the SMB Boo in Mario Maker, instead of being that, has its own graphics so there's also the chance that they'll redraw Yoshi rather than pinching his SMBDX look, which should be noted was only there as an end of level NPC rather than being ridable.

ugly

I wonder how Yoshi will actually function though. WIll it be different depending if you're playing with the World or NSMB themes? Keep the flutter jump exclusive to NSMB and shells giving Yoshi different abilities to SMW.

I thought the idea was that they all play the same in terms of physics, and swapping styles was just an aesthetic option? Otherwise Mario might be able to just clear a jump in one style, and then perhaps the 8-bit version's max jump is lower, so he'd get stuck. That's what I assumed, and if this is the case, then I doubt we'd be seeing differences like with yoshi, unfortunately.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I thought the idea was that they all play the same in terms of physics, and swapping styles was just an aesthetic option? Otherwise Mario might be able to just clear a jump in one style, and then perhaps the 8-bit version's max jump is lower, so he'd get stuck. That's what I assumed, and if this is the case, then I doubt we'd be seeing differences like with yoshi, unfortunately.
Wall jump and butt stomp are confirmed for the NSMB theme though, and I doubt that's something they'll add to the other themes. I don't see why the same couldn't be done for Yoshi.

Cool. Still waiting for the biggest confirmation, the ability to play as other characters besides Mario. Hopefully Peach, Nabbit and the Toads make it in. (I'm assuming at least Luigi is a lock, but then again, we haven't seen him either...)

Ok, so might have jumped the gun a bit on Kuribo's shoe as that seems to be on the more generic portion of the 30th Anniversary site. But Yoshi being front and center on the Mario Maker front page itself seems to be a really good indicator (for now) that he may very well be in the game.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Cool. Still waiting for the biggest confirmation, the ability to play as other characters besides Mario. Hopefully Peach, Nabbit and the Toads make it in. (I'm assuming at least Luigi is a lock, but then again, we haven't seen him either...)

I wanna play as Iggy Koopa.

Dr. Buni

That would instantly sell me on the game. I love Mario games, but I hate being restricted to Mario/Luigi in most of them. I played Peach and Toad exclusively in Bros 2 and 3D World.
I hope you guys got a Yoshi amiibo to unlock him~
I wouldn't put that past Nintendo

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Well, I'm hoping the sky's the limit for characters, but we should at least get the ones already playable in the traditional 2D Mario games. It would definitely give the game more punch.

Definitely. Your suggestions are more reasonable, I just wanna save Bowser from Mario.

CazTGG

Cool as the possibility of the 8-bit Yoshi sprite from Mario is Missing or other NES titles featuring Yoshi making an appearance in Mario Maker, i'm still waiting to see if we get any sprite from Yoshi's Island.

That would instantly sell me on the game. I love Mario games, but I hate being restricted to Mario/Luigi in most of them. I played Peach and Toad exclusively in Bros 2 and 3D World.
Me too. And that just reminds me how sad I am that there's no SMB2 skin in the game. (That we know of.)

Definitely. Your suggestions are more reasonable, I just wanna save Bowser from Mario.
That would be fun. Little things like that are key to really making this game take off IMO. They want people to be creative, so give us all the tools to encourage that.

Neiteio

Click on the "About" link on the JP site and there is now a scrolling bar showing Kuribo's Shoe and additional enemy types!
The scrolling bar is part of their anniversary celebration. Not sure that everything in it will be in Mario Maker.

It'd be nice, though. The bar shows SMW Bowser in his Koopa Clown Car. I'd love to see a NSMB rendition.

I'M FINISHED!

It would be cool if you were offered some control over boss battles. Like how many fireballs Bowser spits or how many fake Wendy Koopa's pop up from the pipe.

Nerrel

Looks like they've fixed Yoshi's arm color, just like in the GBA version of SMW. If anything, that confirms this Yoshi is a new sprite and not just the SMW one pasted in for this promo shot.

The orange arms really didn't make any sense:
Yoshi_16bit_by_schubacka.png

I think butt stomp has been confirmed for the other themes already.

I really hope so. Sometimes I find myself trying to ground pound when playing Super Mario World. Those extra moves enrich the gameplay a surprising amount.

It would take a lot of work to animate wall jumping sprites, so I'm not sure if that's going to be possible outside of NSMBU. I assume they'd have shown us at least one instance of ground pounding or wall jumping in a retro theme by now if it were possible.

There's a lot about this game that's still a mystery. Like how the racoon leaf/cape will work when switching themes... My guess is that the leaf just turns into the cape when switching from SM3 to SMW, and neither power up will be in any other theme.

CTLance

Yusssssss. Although I'm not so sure I want to see an 8 bit rendition. Either it's gonna be terribly simplified, or not faithful enough. There is no middle ground.

Only thing I can think of is: You're still on iOS 6?
Op has good taste. Last good OS for the older machines. Wish I could downgrade from 7 again. My iPad 2 is half as stable as it was under 6, and frankly, the new UI is ugly. >_>

Top Bottom