• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi. WTF Nintendo?

samusx

Banned
OK so I remember when Mario World came out it was cool. Great level, music, secrets, controls and characters. Yea, Yoshi was so cool. He was a little dinosaur that could eat almost all enemies. What fun.

It has always bothered me the direction Nintendo took the Yoshi design.
In Mario world Yoshi was a little dinosaur that you could ride. His body was like the shape of a little t-rex with a saddle on his back for Mario or Luigi to sit.

When Yoshi's Island came out I was feeling a little disappointed about that way they kind of changed his design. But I guess I could kind of understand a few small changes but I hated that way his saddle changed into what looks like a shell.

Years later when Yoshi's Story came out I was pissed. WTF is this crap design? Yoshi had taken on the design of an infants toy. His head, body, hand, legs, and feet had all ballooned into this stupid babyish round shape. He looks like an idiot. On top of that they have him this awful voice where he says his name, "Yoshiiii" all the time like he was a baby or something.

Ever since that game I have hated Yoshi. I know there is a lot of love out there for Yoshi, but he is a dead, beaten and shriveled shell of what he used to be long ago.

Real Yoshi R.I.P.

qy75hi.jpg

Yoshi as he appears in Mario World.

15x8oxk.jpg

Yoshi as he appears in Yoshi's Island.

dcyddz.jpg

Yoshi as he appears in Yoshi's Story through Mario Galaxy 2.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

1-D_FTW

Aside from having the technical power to give him increased animation, I really don't see the difference between Galaxy 2 and SMW.

From those three pictures, I'd just like to say that the hand-drawn look from SMW/YI is infinitely more interesting and charming than the CG render at the bottom.

I'm getting bored of these renders now. More hand-drawn stuff please.

WAAAH WAAAH MY VIDEO GAME RIDEABLE DINOSAUR WITH A LONG TONGUE THAT EATS FRUIT AND POOPS OUT EGGS DOESN'T LOOK REALISTIC

gerg

samusx said:
Years later when Yoshi's Story came out I was pissed. WTF is this crap design? Yoshi had taken on the design of an infants toy. His head, body, hand, legs, and feet had all ballooned into this stupid babyish round shape. He looks like an idiot. On top of that they have him this awful voice where he says his name, "Yoshiiii" all the time like he was a baby or something.

Because a bright green dinosaur wearing shoes looks nothing like an infants' toy?

Yes, Yoshi has become more anthropomorphised as the years have gone by. The flip side of that is that he now actually has a character attached to him, rather than being a larger and more detailed power-up.

The Mario World render is lifeless and boring. There isn't a substantial difference between the Yoshi's Island drawing and the 3D render aside from the art style.

big_z

yoshi has gotten more round looking while mario has become leaner. yoshi from SMW to me seems like an adult yoshi where as everything else we've gotten is more juvenile.

still imo it's not the look of yoshi that sucks but the sound effects. if they would use the snes sounds or a variation of them instead of the cutesy shit they use now the character would be much better.

Yoshi's Island's Yoshi design is Amazing. The mario world design was too stiff. Updating him gave him a greater range of motion. As well as giving him personality and the ability to have emotion.

remz

big_z said:
yoshi has gotten more round looking while mario has become leaner. yoshi from SMW to me seems like an adult yoshi where as everything else we've gotten is more juvenile.

still imo it's not the look of yoshi that sucks but the sound effects. if they would use the snes sounds or a variation of them instead of the cutesy shit they use now the character would be much better.
I miss the weird noises he made in mario kart, ahahaha

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
STFU cynical GAF.

OP is completely right. They changed the Yoshi character.. Much like green eyes Sonic and his awful furry friends, or Mario Sunshine cutscenes, something has completely changed, compared to the original design, which obscures the original appeal of the character.

The look isn't the main problem.. But the noises he makes went from iconic videogame coolness, to some sort of spazzy baby noises.

There is a split from the original design, and it's awful.

swerve

blizzardjesus said:
Yoshi's Island's Yoshi design is Amazing. The mario world design was too stiff. Updating him gave him a greater range of motion. As well as giving him personality and the ability to have emotion.

THIS.

His design reflects his functionality. As his movements got softer and more flexible, so did his design.

I love the Yoshi's Island version, and the pop-up-book version in Yoshi's Story.

He was standardised by the time of New Super Mario Wii, and in Mario Galaxy 2 he seems pretty much perfected.

Gravijah

BocoDragon said:
STFU cynical GAF.

OP is completely right. They changed the Yoshi character.. Much like green eyes Sonic and his awful furry friends, or Mario Sunshine cutscenes, something has completely changed, compared to the original design, which obscures the original appeal of the character.

The look isn't the main problem.. But the noises he makes went from iconic videogame coolness, to some sort of spazzy baby noises.

There is a split from the original design, and it's awful.

Uh... the people in this thread aren't being cynical, the OP is.

Edit: holy shit I never realized the newer yoshi had a red shell on his back...

samusx

Banned
As stated in my original post I loved and still love the Yoshi from Mario World.

This "WAAAAA WAAAAA he doesn't look realistic" bullshit is retarded.
I wish he would go more back to his Mario World design roots.

Dinosaur body shape and design.

If Mario Luigi and Yoshi were to stand side by side in a lineup they would now all have almost the exact same humanoid body design. The Mario World design was more animal/dinosaur like. Bring that back.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Subliminal said:
WAAAH WAAAH MY VIDEO GAME RIDEABLE DINOSAUR WITH A LONG TONGUE THAT EATS FRUIT AND POOPS OUT EGGS DOESN'T LOOK REALISTIC
:lol :lol :lol

BocoDragon

Gravijah said:
Uh... the people in this thread aren't being cynical, the OP is.
I see your angle but I simply meant it in terms of the sentiment which was expressed: "complaining about a dumb cartoon character is stupid". That's cynical.

Yoshi had a serious appeal which HAS been ruined just like the OP said. He's not alone in thinking that.

samusx

Banned
dcyddz.jpg

If people that play games now think that this is perfect than there is no hope.

What is this fuck? Look at him beside Mario. How does he ride that. Grrr, hate it.
Yoshi.jpg
Mario2small3.jpg

Note: I like the Yoshi play mechanic for the most part, just hate the newer art design and sounds.

Gravijah

samusx said:
What is this fuck? Look at him beside Mario. How does he ride that. Grrr, hate it.
Yoshi.jpg
Mario2small3.jpg

Note: I like the Yoshi play mechanic for the most part, just hate the newer art design and sounds.

I have no idea how a CG render is going to ride an action figure, either.

BocoDragon

I used to love the vaguely "stoner" look he had on his face.
qy75hi.jpg

He went from FEELS GOOD MAN..

to DURP DURP...

dcyddz.jpg

Top Bottom