• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida on PS+ requirement for PS4 multiplayer (DCUO, PlanetSide 2 dont require PS+)

The reason behind it
We’re focusing on new services and online, like the “Share” button I previously mentioned and the ability to play using mobile devices with the cloud feature. Our plan is to continue to invest in the future, but investing like this is not compatible with our previous policy that involved reducing costs by every mean to keep the service free.

Apologises
I apologize for the financial burden on our users, but on PS4 it’ll also provide early access to beta versions, free games and discounts like on PS3 and PS Vita. In addition to that PS Plus members will receive for free a special edition with slightly reduced functions of DriveClub.

Not all online functions require PS+
While direct competition in real time won’t be possible [without PS Plus] for instance in the case of DriveClub, asynchronous online gameplay and receiving data from other players will still be free of charge.

On MMORPGs
You will need it to enjoy online multiplayer.
This will also depend on the judgement by the publishers, and there will be some free to play titles that you’ll be able to play without needing a PS Plus subscription, like PlanetSide 2 and DC Universe Online.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06...tion-plus-requirement-for-multiplayer-on-ps4/

~~Hasan~~

"I apologize for the financial burden on our users, but on PS4 it’ll also provide early access to beta versions, free games and discounts like on PS3 and PS Vita. In addition to that PS Plus members will receive for free a special edition with slightly reduced functions of DriveClub.

""

can someone at E3 ask about this ?

what reduced functions ? or can someone ask him at twitter?

only asking because i am PS+ and i wanted to buy this game. then been told its free for PS+ users. now its free with reduced functions.. what kind of functions ?

i want to enjoy online and single player games. / ranked games etc :/

blade85

Neo Member
Lesser of all evils that could have happened!

I'm not upset by this at all. Sure it would have been great to keep multiplayer free, but I knew it would come to this after thye announced all the sharing and cloud info. Have had PS+ for just 4 months and its already been worth a heck of a lot more than the £19 that I paid for it (these things go on discount all the time!).

Leezard

"I apologize for the financial burden on our users, but on PS4 it’ll also provide early access to beta versions, free games and discounts like on PS3 and PS Vita. In addition to that PS Plus members will receive for free a special edition with slightly reduced functions of DriveClub.

""

can someone at E3 ask about this ?

what reduced functions ? or can someone ask him at twitter?

There was a thread about it yesterday. You get less tracks and cars, essentially.

I apologize for the financial burden on our users, but on PS4 it’ll also provide early access to beta versions, free games and discounts like on PS3 and PS Vita. In addition to that PS Plus members will receive for free a special edition with slightly reduced functions of DriveClub.

Hmm.

Shikoro

Good thing that they're clarifying some things. Plus being mandatory for Free to play games would be bizarre.

Ephemeris

Ah, so certain online elements would still be in play.

And I figured the Driveclub on plus would be dumbed down somewhat.

Hopefully they also allow other third party free-to-play games to also be completely free-to-play. F2P behind a paywall is somewhat nonsensical.

The slide at the Microsoft conference about World of Tanks was silly: "free to play with Xbox Live Gold."

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
My worry in all this is that PS+'s offerings like free games and discounts will be gimped due to the fact that so many more people will have it compared to now. Can they really keep giving out so many free games and great discounts when a large majority of PS4 owners will have Plus?

libregkd

My worry in all this is that PS+'s offerings like free games and discounts will be gimped due to the fact that so many more people will have it compared to now. Can they really keep giving out so many free games and great discounts when a large majority of PS4 owners will have Plus?
Well, you also have more money coming in as a result of more PS+ users. I don't think the quality of free titles they give out with the service will dumb down at all. The first year may be a bit rough in terms of 'hits' however since the console needs to build up a library before anything really substantial would be made available. Honestly, I was expecting IGC to come about a year after the system's launch, much like how the Vita had to wait a bit before games started to become available.

Though in regards to F2P still actually being free, that's great to hear. I doubt any publisher would actually push their F2P titles behind a paywall as that seems to be a bit backwards.

~~Hasan~~

There was a thread about it yesterday. You get less tracks and cars, essentially.

****. i guess i will play this game on Plus then buy its a must buy :/

.... or maybe i will buy it ... argh i am not sure >_<

i can't afford more than 2 games and the console first day. i have a life lol.

i was thinking to buy this and killzone (must buy )

then down the road watch dogs plus other games.

We’re focusing on new services and online, like the “Share” button I previously mentioned and the ability to play using mobile devices with the cloud feature. Our plan is to continue to invest in the future, but investing like this is not compatible with our previous policy that involved reducing costs by every mean to keep the service free.

Of course. As I was saying in all the other threads, Sony doesn't owe us to keep subsidizing costs if they are expected to evolve the service. Something had to give.

I think the way free gams work in ps+ is that sony pay a fixed price to pu lisherand developer for the free congent. Assuming those price stay the same, the extra revenue sony got from ps+now can be used for a lot other thing including trying to get better content for us.

wilflare

I am thinking the increased number of PS+ subscribers would help offset the negatives.
Bigger install base = more incentive for publishers/developers to get their game into PS+ (it's free promotion for their new titles/sequels)
Great discounts = think of Steam, bigger install base, more sales (even with the discounts)

my only concern is... will their future free Games (like launch/recent titles) come in PS+ editions (rather than the full games we are getting now)

my guess is that we'll get both... but it'll be interesting to see how PS+ editions develop

wilflare

****. i guess i will play this game on Plus then buy its a must buy :/

.... or maybe i will buy it ... argh i am not sure >_<

i can't afford more than 2 games and the console first day. i have a life lol.

i was thinking to buy this and killzone (must buy )

then down the road watch dogs plus other games.

they may just include a Upgrade or something for you to go from PS+ to the full game edition

Billen

Banned
Good thing that they're clarifying some things. Plus being mandatory for Free to play games would be bizarre.

Yeah, that would be insane. Even worse would be if they started requiring money for otherwise free services, such as Youtube, Facebook etc.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I have a theory, you guys can tease me if I'm wrong. But I think Playstation Plus free games are going to retain their quality or get better with the PS4. It's actually a very clever way for publishers to undercut used games.

Most people think that Sony pays the publisher a set fee and the game get added to the instant collection. So you're Publisher X and you're releasing Dude Bro FPS 3 in 6 months. Your Dude Bro FPS 2 game came out, let's say 18 months ago. You probably got almost all the money you're ever going to get from new game sales of that. The game is readily available in the used game market now. Why not take a nice cash upfront purchase of your game so it gets added to the instant collection? It's more money that you would have gotten hoping that people keep buying it new AND it gives exposure to your game so that people will be more inclined to pick up the next in the series.

Sorral

That's pretty good news. It also means that a lot of people can pick up a PS4 and still have an online game to play without PS+ especially if they skeptical about it.

Eusis

my only concern is... will their future free Games (like launch/recent titles) come in PS+ editions (rather than the full games we are getting now)
My guess:

- Newer releases that get into Plus will be very large demos, probably with saving that can carry over to the full game.

- Older releases will have full releases on Plus, not being worth the effort to cut up like that.

On that note, I kind of expect mainly only first party titles will see the Plus edition treatment.

Poona

I had hoped that Sony continued with what they did on the ps3 and didnt place most online multiplayer actions behind a pay wall, but at least that is something. Can't believe there's talk of free to play games on the Xbox behind their pay wall.

Giygas AF

Apologizes for the controversial decision and gives reason for it. This is how you make changes and run a business. Not Microsofts policy of lets be confusing and quiet about everything.

Can you not connect to other stores like everyone else?

Where is your PSN account registered?

I do that. But why should I break the terms and conditions to play the stuff *I* buy? It shouldn't be like that.

I am in Malta, I can register no problem but when I try to access the store, it tells me that the service is not available to my region/country.

I am pretty sure they said you need it to play it.

Ha ha, maybe we should make a list of all the dumb decisions and own goals MS has scored over the past couple of months? There must be dozens of things now; even if it's little things like getting Double Helix to revive one of Rare's most loved franchises.

gembel

you can play online just like you can play it now on your ps3. it probably just checks if you have an account with a ps plus membership, no matter what region (hopefully).

getting the PS+ membership for that region is the problem :(

if no credit card for that region or paypal then you're out of luck

you can play online just like you can play it now on your ps3. it probably just checks if you have an account with a ps plus membership, no matter what region (hopefully).

I can now play online with my country no problem right now, because that doesn't require me to login into the store. But if it starts to require me to login to store to buy PS Plus to play online multiplayer, I'm stuck.

Just to be clear again: I can go hop over by getting a fake account under a different country, but I don't think it is how it should be done. Why should I break the terms and conditions of the service to be able to PAY for a service? Don't Sony like my Euros?

gembel

I bought a US PSN card online and added the funds to my US account, Im from Europe, no CC involved.

yep i know this is possible. but what about the millions of people in other countries who don't know this. what is sony going to do if that's the case?

DBT85

I do that. But why should I break the terms and conditions to play the stuff *I* buy? It shouldn't be like that.

I am in Malta, I can register no problem but when I try to access the store, it tells me that the service is not available to my region/country.

I asked Yosp for you on Twitter, hope he replies.

Steroyd

It should really be common sense, but then Microsoft...

When you consider that you want to urge people to spend money on extra content after they boot up the free game, limiting it to just the people who pay a subscription isn't maximizing the potential revenue.

blade85

Neo Member
I can now play online with my country no problem right now, because that doesn't require me to login into the store. But if it starts to require me to login to store to buy PS Plus to play online multiplayer, I'm stuck.

Just to be clear again: I can go hop over by getting a fake account under a different country, but I don't think it is how it should be done. Why should I break the terms and conditions of the service to be able to PAY for a service? Don't Sony like my Euros?

You dont need to log in to the ps store to buy ps+. you can get it from a lot of retailers, plus amazon etc

sTeLioSco

Banned
I bought a US PSN card online and added the funds to my US account, Im from Europe, no CC involved.

yeah but that cant be the official way of being able to play online, create accounts to other countries and then use the one in your country

you cant access the store to enter vouchers if your country isn't supported........

You dont need to log in to the ps store to buy ps+. you can get it from a lot of retailers, plus amazon etc

you need to login on the store to activate the ps+ code...

we will see how sony handles this

Top Bottom