• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida says Square Enix sees at least another five years for FFXIV/Xbox port seems unlikely

Astorian

In a video call interview with The Washington Post, Yoshida said “Final Fantasy XIV” may never end, as long as people keep returning. At its current audience growth rate, Yoshida said Square Enix see at least another five years for the online world.
But at least for the near future, it won’t mean new platforms. Despite the game’s success, Yoshida says a lot of his team’s time is spent on creating the expansions, and leaves little room for expanding to the Xbox or others, as much as they’d love to see the game beyond the PlayStation and PC ports.
“We provide content on a fairly regular basis and our cycle is rather condensed," Yoshida said. “And it is a fairly stable cadence that we continue to follow. ... We have to think about long-term planning with additional platforms, we need additional testing for that particular platform. So it kind of exponentially grows the amount of resources that needs to be allocated.”

YukiOnna

It will probably go longer than that considering its growth. I'm confused by his response on new platforms since I thought he hinted at an Xbox port coming at some point in the past?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It will probably go longer than that considering its growth. I'm confused by his response on new platforms since I thought he hinted at an Xbox port coming at some point in the past?

Phil Spencer himself did, but there is no evidence besides the word of the press that was present at that particular presentation.

That being said, I'm also not inclined to blindly believe an article by generalist media that has no expertise in the game whatsoever and isn't even quoting Yoshida-san directly verbatim. Even more so through a translator. Lots of things can (and do) go wrong when you summarize a translation instead of quoting it, especially when the writer isn't familiar with the developer and the way he speaks. Yoshida-san tends to be quite vague when he talks about this kind of thing.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

how about you add spanish text translation, i mean...theres a whole fucking audience you are missing...i have so many friends that want to play it but cant cause they cant speak a word of english.

Calverz

pPcHErP.jpg

Varteras

Gold Member
Phil Spencer himself did, but there is no evidence besides the word of the press that was present at that particular presentation.

That being said, I'm also not inclined to blindly believe an article by generalist media that has no expertise in the game whatsoever and isn't even quoting Yoshida-san directly verbatim. Even more so through a translator. Lots of things can (and do) go wrong when you summarize a translation instead of quoting it, especially when the writer isn't familiar with the developer and the way he speaks. Yoshida-san tends to be quite vague when he talks about this kind of thing.
I am so glad you're around. I remember your days at DualShockers. Always appreciated your attention to detail and honest reporting. Even more so that you never showed platform bias nor did you turn your articles into some political blog.

Well, FF11 is still running and they wouldn't continue to run it if it weren't profitable. I guess FF14 has the potential to go as long as that.
FFXI is dead.

Sure, there is that abomination under the same name, where you can solo to max level in no time, as well as solo all story missions.

I don’t what that thing is, but it sure isn't FFXI.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I am so glad you're around. I remember your days at DualShockers. Always appreciated your attention to detail and honest reporting. Even more so that you never showed platform bias nor did you turn your articles into some political blog.

Haha thanks for the kind words :D No worries. I'm not going anywhere

Polite for.... the expected returns don't justify the time investment, not so much the monetary ones - "we ain't porting". They got their internals on their Xbox sales, and look at what actually sells on that platform. You can't judge them on that. Unless MS drops a big cheque it's not looking good. It's a shooters/sports box mostly with a particular userbase that's attracted to those types of games in the anglo markets. Overwhelming majority of that userbase is not losing a sweat over missing on it. Closed circle.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
We're definitely getting one more expansion in 2023 since the Endwalker level cap is only 90.

You can't stop at 90. Thats weird.

Boss Mog

5 years more of XIV says no.

Besides it’s the same team doing 16 so 17 online would be like at least a 7-10 years away.
XIV launched in 2010, it's 2021and XI is still running and releasing new content and storylines so launching another online game in the next few years is almost a certainty but XI will likely stop when that happens I doubt they'll want 3 MMOs going at once. There is supposedly a huge anouncement planned for next year regarding XI for the 20th anniversary. Some are speculating a remake or sequel being announced.

I have PSN friends way back from 2014 who still regularly play this game. I stopped in January of ‘15, they never did. Incredible.

YukiOnna

We're definitely getting one more expansion in 2023 since the Endwalker level cap is only 90.

I mean he already said at the announcement stage there's a lot more than that planned post EW with an aim to continue for another decade and remarked we're close to 100.

Kumomeme

basically, not for now since they are bussy with development of new big expansion and stable patch content.

ofcourse, for time being currently the team schedule is tight with update and expansion. but later when there is gap they surely can try explore the possibilites to port the game to other platform. maybe xbox fans can hope once Endwalker released? creating expansion is massive task not to mention with covid 19 situation.

not to mention launching new expansion is very critical for them since they want to makesure the new expansion wont crash the server again.

This means expansions beyond 2021 and “Endwalker.” But at least for the near future, it won’t mean new platforms. Despite the game’s success, Yoshida says a lot of his team’s time is spent on creating the expansions, and leaves little room for expanding to the Xbox or others, as much as they’d love to see the game beyond the PlayStation and PC ports.

yoshi-p already eager to port to xbox atleast since 2014 if i not mistaken and since then atleast each year he expressed the interest is all due a reason. the playerbase is steadly growing and this also add more challenge for them to maintain current pace.

launching on new platform add lot of work like they also need to doing beta server test and stuff. even now they handsfull with ps5 open beta version scheduled this april.

“We provide content on a fairly regular basis and our cycle is rather condensed," Yoshida said. “And it is a fairly stable cadence that we continue to follow. ... We have to think about long-term planning with additional platforms, we need additional testing for that particular platform. So it kind of exponentially grows the amount of resources that needs to be allocated.”

the problem still lie with microsoft regulation back then. it been 'delay' over and over again up today. if there is no trouble im not suprise the game already part of xbox platform long time ago. so after this MS must be quick trying to get the port once 6.0 is launch wherever the team can allocate time for. they better not be too late 'again'.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
this game needs to run on ps3 right? seems like a huge hardware limitation that needs upgrading. or because it is a mmorpg, you can render as much in their cloud servers?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
BS excuse.. there is obviously something to keep square games off Xbox as even cheap little ports of old games are on pc but not Xbox.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

I think it might honestly just be them being honest about the MMO market and realizing it’s all mobile, even to the point of them porting XI to mobile

Edit; Lmaooooo

I did not know this I am a retard.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Who wants to explain the gameplay loop of this game to me in four sentences or less? I'll reward you with an emoji if you do.

BS excuse.. there is obviously something to keep square games off Xbox as even cheap little ports of old games are on pc but not Xbox.
How is it BS?

The problem at this point is that they have a set pipeline with a super focus. They are streamlined right now to focus on maintaince and content development. Also I’m sure the actual team is smaller now. So it all seems like they simply don’t have the resources to get an Xbox port going and they aren’t really willing to dedicate time to it.

I mean would it really be worth it?

Last edited:
Who wants to explain the gameplay loop of this game to me in four sentences or less? I'll reward you with an emoji if you do.
Its fundamentally a WoW clone at its core, but with flexibility in classes. It incorporates the classic Final Fantasy job system, so you can swap classes on the same character with each job having its own level. Basic gameplay loop during main quest is bog standard "kill these things," "talk to these guys," or "protect these things" style MMO quests intercut with dungeon runs and story. Endgame you're looking at the conventional MMO raid loop for loot, as well as leveling other jobs by replaying old dungeons, doing repeatable quests called levequests, or participating in world events called FATEs

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Its fundamentally a WoW clone at its core, but with flexibility in classes. It incorporates the classic Final Fantasy job system, so you can swap classes on the same character with each job having its own level. Basic gameplay loop during main quest is bog standard "kill these things," "talk to these guys," or "protect these things" style MMO quests intercut with dungeon runs and story. Endgame you're looking at the conventional MMO raid loop for loot, as well as leveling other jobs by replaying old dungeons, doing repeatable quests called levequests, or participating in world events called FATEs

IdenticalGreenIridescentshark-max-1mb.gif

Top Bottom