• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Ono comments on Street Fighter 5 buttslap and related changes

So we can’t have something in the game that makes people think, ‘This is not acceptable

That's your outside influence you said had nothing to do with it Capcom.

He clearly means that nobody outside of the developers forced them to change anything. They made the decision of their own volition after factoring in people's input.

Ambition

Violently punching and kicking people won't make people think "this is not acceptable" but slapping one's own butt would.

I must be living in a nightmare world.

It's hilarious tbh. It kinda feels like living in a Simpsons world where everyone and everything around you is stupid

I'm with Ono on this one.

Some guys care too much about butt-slap in a 3D model, I rather have more real girls interested in playing SFV and feeling good about it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You'll never satisfy everyone, and some people will always find something to be offended about. It's an arbitrary and pointless line to draw in the sand.

People are comparing it to the costumes, but those are on a lesser level than an attention grabbing bare ass slap.

I can see why, because they aren't going to morph the whole game and change it around. Just lessen the fanservice from Hey, Here's An Ass Slap to We Have Breast And Ass Here If You Want

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Like I consider it a worse move to give every woman in the game, except Karin, huge breasts when they really weren't that busty in previous games (Chun-Li, Cammy). I think R. Mika would have been fine as the cheesecake ambassador but they even upped the gratuitousness in the other female character designs, including Cammy who's been wearing the same ass-reaming latex leotard since the 90's. Even the alt costumes are immediately obviously designed with the thinking that people won't pay real money for them unless they're showing off more skin than the defaults.

This is wrong though. They were busty and fetish fuel from the beginning and have been in in every entree.

Ono somehow acting like this non solution would really matter to anyone besides pissing off those who don't want to see that kind of thing edited out seems counter productive to me, especially since they largely didn't do shit about anything else. If you(Ono) really felt the way you do, the game would have been designed in a different way from the start in regards to design.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Some guys care too much about butt-slap in a 3D model, I rather have more real girls interested in playing SFV and feeling good about it.

You think a butt slap is the thing that will stop a female player from picking up SFV?

Mizerman

You don't know video games.

Actually I do. It's you making the assumptions, chief.

If you're talking about Necalli, I want you to explain to me how is he remotely like Blanka? Because they're wild fighter archetypes? Seriously? He neither looks nor does he play like Blanka.

I can understand you not liking Necalli, but don't say things like "new blanka like dude replacing blanka" or "doing a palette swap."

Don't piss in my cup and try to call it lemonade.

People inside the development team called it out. Is that too fucking bad, too?

When they put fanservice into the game, it's because they want to market the game as best as they can - to young, male adults and teens. Now they decided they want to market the game for another audience, too - women. Because of that, they try to tone that stuff down. Both are simply economical decisions. Yet one is considered "censorship" or "pandering", while the other one is...what, exactly?

Bullshit. The slap would have never made it into the game at all if that were the case. The main reason the other stuff like outfits, etc are still in the game is because it would be beyond transparent if they were to remove it now and say "it was an internal decision". Also, the same people offended by the butt slap are the same damn people offended by the costumes as well so doing this for the sake of trying to bring in that group of people isn't going to work unless they go scorched earth on the game and put everyone in sweaters and khakis.

Trickster

That seems like a completely reasonable and respectable position. Bravo.

The idea of not wanting to offend people and be able to have everyone enjoy a game makes is a great idea and respectable position. That is, if the game didn't already put boobs and ass on full display on several characters, while at the same time being a game pretty much solely about punching and kicking the shit out of people.

Real talk, the most likely reason behind something like removing the buttslap was probably someone above Ono's paygrade saying "Okay, we're still trying to hit that T rating. Just tone it down a bit, will you?"

thumb

Banned

Exactly. It's possible that some minor adjustments (not just this butt slap thing) could make it look a little less like a "guy game".

I'm not saying I have some complete idea of what that would look like, but the development team may tweak things here and there to create a slightly different overall impression.

Crocodile

You think a butt slap is the thing that will stop a female player from picking up SFV?

Yeah I'm REALLY having a hard time imagining how that is the thing, which was even congruent with her character, that was going to set people off. How someone can be put off with that but still cosign all the other things going on in the game. Or that these conversations of inclusion are happening just now and not at the drawing board stage of the game. Ono's words aren't matching up with his teams actions. It all super weird and I'm pretty sure that's the main reason people have issue with this change at all. At least that's my issue with what's going on. That and the change was done in a "lazy" way (time constraints or just lack if caring I couldn't tell you).

Despera

Banned
She still slaps her butt. You just don't really see it anymore. Get over it people.
You raise a good point. The mere thought offends me.

I demand you remove her butt entirely from the game, Capcom. I expect an "internally made decision" within the week.

Real talk, the most likely reason behind something like removing the buttslap was probably someone above Ono's paygrade saying "Okay, we're still trying to hit that T rating. Just tone it down a bit, will you?"
That's what I've been saying too, but my question really is what's the line in these cases? DOA5 obviously crossed this line, so was Capcom afraid to cross this line too?
http://kotaku.com/5943235/the-esrb-knows-dead-or-alive-too-well

TheOGB

Banned
I found the slap way less sexual than Chun Li's costume. That's what I don't get.
My post in the other thread didn't get copied over so
I wonder if they did some focus testing or anything like that. It's hard to believe that someone would draw the line at buttslaps while being okay with the costumes etc.
There's a difference between something passive like Chun's outfit, which has no special focus on it, and an overt action like Mika slapping her large exposed ass. Same thing with Cammy where it wasn't an action, but a gratuitous (and awkward, despite being more dynamic than the changed angle) camera angle that draws unnecessary focus to her groin.

The original versions I could deal with, but I don't mind the changes either, and their reasoning seems sound.

Crocodile

This is plausible and if true would have been an honest response to admit to that.

HardRojo

I think of Mika as a character who embraces her sexuality, so the buttslap didn't feel out of place and actually felt like something she'd totally do. With that said, if Capcom thinks this is the best course of action and it doesn't change the character substantially, I'll trust their judgment.

Yeah I'm REALLY having a hard time imagining how that is the thing, which was even congruent with her character, that was going to set people off. How someone can be put off with that but still cosign all the other things going on in the game. Or that these conversations of inclusion are happening just now and not at the drawing board stage of the game. Ono's words aren't matching up with his teams actions. It all super weird and I'm pretty sure that's the main reason people have issue with this change at all. At least that's my issue with what's going on. That and the change was done in a "lazy" way (time constraints or just lack if caring I couldn't tell you).
Yup. People who'd have an issue with an ass slap happening now and then are obviously going to have more issues with the more cheesecake-y outfits, so the whole 'inclusive' angle they're claiming here just feels superficial. They're obviously not going to remote that stuff, so I am starting to agree with others saying it's likely like them wanting to avoid an M-rating for marketing reasons more so than anything else.

Otherwise it's a decision which, while ultimately inconsequential to the overall game's quality, feels like it appeases nobody.

Actually I do. It's you making the assumptions, chief.

If you're talking about Necalli, I want you to explain to me how is he remotely like Blanka? Because they're wild fighter archetypes? Seriously? He neither looks nor does he play like Blanka.

I can understand you not liking Necalli, but don't say things like "new blanka like dude replacing blanka" or "doing a palette swap."

Don't piss in my cup and try to call it lemonade.

Nah he looks and sounds like Blanka in the trailer and plays like a cross between Blanka and Akuma, that is enough for me.....chief.

And fyi I couldn't give a fuck about this game lol.

ZangBa

Acting like that buttslap is the barrier preventing women from playing. The only thing stopping women from playing SFV is my Necalli, you feel me?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
something to remember before misusing the word "censorship"

they're taking away our boners

Jesus, why did anyone ask him this? Mainstream gaming industry is nuts.

I know right, why don't they focus on real questions everyone has been talking about, like "should we give this a 9.5 or a 10?"

Street Fighter's racial and cultural stereotypes could be construed as offensive by some. But those cheesey stereotypes are also what makes the game fun. Street Fighter 2 never would have been popular if people had been easily offended back then. At some point, you have to be careful not to strip the game of its appeal.

Seeing Chun practically 3/4 nude gets me sprung more than Mika's ass slap ever could, so where do you draw the line, Ono?

Where...do you draw...the.....

....brb....

Why's this stuff asked of stuff like SF, Metal Gear and DOA but not The Witcher and similar?

Why do people care?

B/c those first three are Japanese games and Japanese devs already have a sort of "pervy" image held against them.

Whether that image is warranted or not is up for debate.

Mizerman

Nah he looks and sounds like Blanka in the trailer and plays like a cross between Blanka and Akuma, that is enough for me.....chief.

And fyi I couldn't give a fuck about this game lol.

1. Plays nothing like Blanka or Akuma. Doesn't look or sound anything like Blanka either...pal.

2. Okay. We're never gonna agree to this, so we might as well part ways.

Otherwise it's a decision which, while ultimately inconsequential to the overall game's quality, feels like it appeases nobody.

Yes. It's such a weird change, where if you were really worried about that sort of content you'd redo a few of the costumes and/or start cutting characters entirely. It starts to get silly. But what sorta annoys me about it is: I doubt THAT many actually-likely-SFV-buyers were going to pass on the game because of that animation. So if you're appeasing anyone, it's like 142 people who probably wouldn't have bought the game anyway.

If the gameplay is good, accessible for beginners and deep for experts, if the game looks great and the online runs well, and finally if there's no icky DLC practices - the game will sell. If those things aren't there, it will tank. It's not going to hinge on asses.

Street Fighter's racial and cultural stereotypes could be construed as offensive by some. But those cheesey stereotypes are also what makes the game fun. Street Fighter 2 never would have been popular if people had been easily offended back then. At some point, you have to be careful not to strip the game of its appeal.

They're exaggerated stereo types to accentuate a fun theme, no one gave a fuck the the England stage was scotland then and they don't now.

Gaming journalism is just full of dicks generating faux outrage at anything.

Top Bottom