• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Ono Details Deep Down

Chobel

Deep down I believe it's not old.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...bout-60-fps-vita-remote-play-and-dualshock-4/

Today Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia released an interview with legendary Capcom producer Yoshinori Ono, in which he shared quite a lot more details about the upcoming PS4 exclusive Deep Down, explained the themes of the game and the story, and praised the PS4 hardware specs, also giving some details on how the DualShock 4 and the remote play feature with the PS Vita will be used.

The video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkRyDDxxkUA

It would nice if someone fluent in Japanese can confirm this.
summary of Ono-san’s answers:

• The game is set in New York, year 2094. The members of a group called “Ravens” (the players) have the special ability to travel back in time by reading the memory of items and listening to the voice of the past. They can travel to the past by using the information they read from the items.
  • The game is called a “Reading RPG” for two reasons: first because of the idea of “reading memories” mentioned above, and then because of the theme of “reading emotions” The emotional theme comes from the fact that various dungeons correspond to different emotions. For instance by touching a statue and reading its emotions one can feel the grudges of a vicious mind that will then characterize the resulting dungeon.
  • The theme of “knowing the truth of the past” is also present, and that’s the Ravens’ purpose.
  • Capcom wanted to make an online only game to do something different from the past experiences of Monster Hunter and Dragon’s Dogma, in order to enjoy the online gameplay without restriction, on a platform (the PS4) that has an inseparable relationship with online gaming.
  • By playing with friends one can exchange the information gathered from dungeons and further the investigation of the mystery behind Deep Down.
  • It’s still possible to play solo, and gamers should begin like that in order to get familiar with the game, then they should challenge the dungeons alongside other Ravens.
  • Ono-san wants to reduce the barriers between players and online gameplay, in order to reassure those that are hostile to the idea of always online games.
  • Since players are supposed to play the game for a long time, like most online games, large updates have already been scheduled, and they will happen on a regular basis. Capcom will continue to develop the game after release in order to let players feel the changes regularly.
  • There will be a beta after the release of the PS4, and Ono-san wants it to begin as soon as possible.
  • Sony has created an easy development environment for the PS4, and that’s a welcome change.
  • The quality showcased in the PlayStation Meeting in February was reached considerably quickly, and things like 60 frames per seconds are relatively easy to achieve.
  • The automatic generation of dungeons is achieved thanks to the power of the PS4. It’s not completely random, but automatically generated according to certain parameters. Since the PS4 has specs similar to a PC, dungeons can be generated like this thanks to its memory capacity and computing speed.
  • The representation of environments is close to photo realistic, and elements like degradation of weapon and armor will also be displayed graphically. The PS4 is able to calculate the accumulation of mold, dirt and rust on equipment and display it on the textures, giving you the sensation that those items really exist in the world.
  • The light bar on the DualShock 4 will represent the emotions of the dungeon being played. When a Raven listens to the voice of the past, it will come from the speaker on the controller, in order to increase immersion. The touchpad will also be used for tactile features.
  • Remote play with PS Vita will be fully supported in order to play the game more comfortably. The team is also thinking on how to use smartphone and tablets.

Thanks to "i HeaR MusiC"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Anko pointed that the article added some things to the summary that were not in the video.

He doesn't say a single thing about 60 fps in the video...

Indeed. I don't hear anything in the video that indicates this line at all:
The quality showcased in the PlayStation Meeting in February was reached considerably quickly, and things like 60 frames per seconds are relatively easy to achieve.

Neither the first half of the sentence nor the second half.

In fact, there's quite a few pointers not from the video. He did praise the speed of calculations and the speed of the memory though, which is why he is glad they are doing it on the PS4.
Unless my Japanese is a lot worse than I thought, these are missing from the video:
  • There will be a beta after the release of the PS4, and Ono-san wants it to begin as soon as possible.
  • Sony has created an easy development environment for the PS4, and that’s a welcome change.
  • The quality showcased in the PlayStation Meeting in February was reached considerably quickly, and things like 60 frames per seconds are relatively easy to achieve.
  • The automatic generation of dungeons is achieved thanks to the power of the PS4. It’s not completely random, but automatically generated according to certain parameters. Since the PS4 has specs similar to a PC, dungeons can be generated like this thanks to its memory capacity and computing speed.
  • The light bar on the DualShock 4 will represent the emotions of the dungeon being played. When a Raven listens to the voice of the past, it will come from the speaker on the controller, in order to increase immersion. The touchpad will also be used for tactile features.
  • The team is also thinking on how to use smartphone and tablets.
Can anyone confirm if any of these points have a source somewhere else?

They have also definitely added in a lot of stuff not in the video. The mentioning of MonHun or Dragon's Dogma, etc.
All he said about the game's premise is:
There's a group called "Ravens" where people with special abilities (or ability?) gather. They travel from 2094 in New York to some unknown era and place. To go "read" that era, to go see what that era is like. Then, from the various information obtained there, they learn what the truth is. Why a group like this one gathered, why they are doing something like this. This progression, which will be done not just on your own (solo) but with everyone else through multiplayer, is what we mean when we say it's a "(memory) reading rpg".

So a lot of the first two points didn't come from this video. Was that information released somewhere else? I don't follow much so I assume that it was. Still weird that they chose to add it in to a "summary" of the video though.

Another interesting thing near the end:
It's not just a completely online game. Of course, you can play solo as well. So for the people who think that "the threshold for online games is still too high" can play solo first and when they've gotten used to it, they can join the other members of "Raven" and play. We've prepared dungeons for when it's two people going in, or when there's three people going in, etc.

Now whether this implies you can play offline, I do not know. It can still mean that you have to be online even when playing solo.

Gbraga

"60fps"

iyqtHimiT4sdI.gif

potam

Banned
Unless Panta Rhei is some godlevel engine, I seriously doubt 60fps is "easy" with those visuals, unless there's something I'm missing.

60fps - yes
i don't get the whole new york thing. are we just playing in a cave or we'll be in other locations as well.

But beta this year plz.

Ridley327

60 fps with those graphics? Goddamn.

If for nothing else, Capcom and Sony's engineers sure know what the hell they're doing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really glad it can be played solo. Do we know if SP can be done offline?

The quality showcased in the PlayStation Meeting in February was reached considerably quickly, and things like 60 frames per seconds are relatively easy to achieve.

Wait, is he saying they can hit 60 and look like the reveal or are these two separate statements? I doubt that they could do that. 30fps, sure, but 60?

Hollow

I thought the stream from Sony's conference was 60fps.

I'm already looking forward to this game. I don't care if it looks like the Feb reveal or not.

Paskil

Excited for next gen RPG's. Sounds like a mix of Souls', Soul Sacrifice, and AssCreed. Color me tenatively ready for beta.

EDIT: Can't wait for some tech breakdowns during TGS next week. Will be cool if running at 60FPS/1080.

Pop

Unless Panta Rhei is some godlevel engine, I seriously doubt 60fps is "easy" with those visuals, unless there's something I'm missing.

PS4...secret sauce?

But really, this is great news. Beta so soon is very welcoming.

Gamerloid

The light bar on the DualShock 4 will represent the emotions of the dungeon being played. When a Raven listens to the voice of the past, it will come from the speaker on the controller, in order to increase immersion. The touchpad will also be used for tactile features.
I hate stuff like this, I really do. It's already annoying on the Wii U for me.

Wut?

More wut?

Unless translation is shitty?

Wtf? You can't fool us Ono, sorry.

DeepDown3.jpg

image_deep_down-21504-2664_0002.jpg

image_deep_down-21504-2664_0004.jpg

image_deep_down-21504-2664_0010.jpg

Deep-Down_2013_09-12-13_001.jpg

Deep-Down_2013_09-12-13_003.jpg

ztjZmNp.jpg

Deep-Down_2013_09-12-13_004.jpg

This looks nothing like the reveal. On another note, i'm excited for the beta they're gonna have.

Perkel

Banned

Recent "downgrade" like fire being scaled a lot and in 10fps could be proof for framerate change.

Interview also confirms that earlier Meeting video was "target render" not on actual PS4

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wut?

More wut?

Unless translation is shitty?

I feel like those have to be independent statements. I'm going to guess that they were able to hit the visual level of the reveal relatively quickly while making that specific trailer but have since decided to make the game 60fps, hence the visual differences in the version we saw this week. I think he's saying you can do one or the other without too much effort, not both.

Perkel

Banned
The representation of environments is close to photo realistic, and elements like degradation of weapon and armor will also be displayed graphically. The PS4 is able to calculate the accumulation of mold, dirt and rust on equipment and display it on the textures, giving you the sensation that those items really exist in the world.

GYPE + 100

Horp

What are they talking about... quality reached quickly, 60 fps easy to achieve?
Big words. How about starting with showing a demo running on the actual PS4 that is at least half the quality of the feb stream. Go for 720p @ 30 fps for a start.

Deadbeat

Banned
The game is set in New York, year 2094. The members of a group called “Ravens” (the players) have the special ability to travel back in time by reading the memory of items and listening to the voice of the past. They can travel to the past by using the information they read from the items.
Why the fuck does this even exist? Just do a gritty medieval fantasy game like the original reveal trailer, not some Assassins Creed shit.

Really glad it can be played solo. Do we know if SP can be done offline?

Wait, is he saying they can hit 60 and look like the reveal or are these two separate statements? I doubt that they could do that. 30fps, sure, but 60?

Maybe they downgraded the visuals to run at 60fps. But the new images from yesterday shows the game running at 720p with dithering and no aa.

Cels

reading emotions and feeling the grudges of a vicious mind...
reminds me of ps2 emotion engine talk

Perkel

Banned
Why the fuck does this even exist? Just do a gritty medieval fantasy game like the original reveal trailer, not some Assassins Creed shit.

Yeah i also don't like that part. Easily the worst part of Assassin Creed that destroy immersion for sake of it.

Mael

I hate stuff like this, I really do. It's already annoying on the Wii U for me.

Why? twas awesome on Wii's shitty speakers, twas great on the U's pad (heck the only sound that comes from ZombiU is from the pad) and twill be awesome on ps4!
Thing is they need to provide choice on this.

The game is called a “Reading RPG” for two reasons: first because of the idea of “reading memories” mentioned above, and then because of the theme of “reading emotions” The emotional theme comes from the fact that various dungeons correspond to different emotions. For instance by touching a statue and reading its emotions one can feel the grudges of a vicious mind that will then characterize the resulting dungeon.
What the hell have they been smoking?

Gbraga

Still disappointed by online only though. I like the idea of the game being online focused, but depending on a server even for single player is not cool, I don't want my game to die when they put down the servers, specially if it's as good as it sounds and looks.

sublimit

Banned
The quality showcased in the PlayStation Meeting in February was reached considerably quickly,

Then why the recent screens look like a downgrade from the quality of the first video?

...and things like 60 frames per seconds are relatively easy to achieve.

That's great to hear!

Top Bottom