• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Crafted World |OT| Get Yoshi, Feel Crafty

Andyliini

ASRW6vT.jpg

Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release date: March 29th (Worldwide)
Developer: Good-Feel
Publisher: Nintendo
Multiplayer: Yes, 2-player offline co-op
Amiibo: Supports amiibo-figurines to unlock costumes

UewsYwN.jpg

As Yoshi, you’ll leap up high, gulp down enemies, and set out on a treasure hunt to find all the different collectables. On the flip side, stages can be played backwards, providing new perspectives to explore and new ways to locate some of the more craftily hidden items!

It all started when Kamek and Baby Bowser set out to steal a gem-set stone. Legend has it that this fabled artifact can grant the bearer their wildest dreams! But when the artifact’s gems are sent flying, it falls upon Yoshi and friends to find them. Luckily, saving the day can be cooperative and challenging. Pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend to team up as fellow Yoshis. Also, Mellow mode gives Yoshi wings for a breezier experience, which may come in handy! Finding all the flowers, coins, and Poochy Pups is no small feat! For extra protection, suit up in one of the handicraft costumes you can unlock in-game!

GsSJ0Xw.jpg

• Explore each stage and then find even more secrets by making your way through the stage backwards on the flip side!
  • Overcome varied enemies and obstacles, like Zombie Guys, Skelesaurus, Ukiki, and Monty Mole as you seek out hidden collectables
  • Pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend for 2-player cooperative exploration
  • Clad Yoshi in collectable, protective, handicraft costumes as he makes his way through each stage
This time, it's your job to find all the flowers the game has to offer! In previous games, you had 5 flowers for each stage. Now, you can find up to 13 flowers per stage. And need them you will, as the flowers are used to open new stages. Unllike in previous games, you can tackle the worlds in any order you like. The crafty world is waiting for you, so let's get going!

6wT0u3D.jpg

Metacritic: 80
Opencritic: 80

Nintendo Insider - 9/10
With Yoshi’s Crafted World, Good-Feel should be very proud of themselves for what they have achieved with this heartwarming adventure. Not only have they created a Yoshi game that convincingly pulls the series out from under the ever-widening shadow of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island, but they have also managed to prop it securely on its own aspirational eye-candy pedestal as a result. This Nintendo Switch exclusive is a stunning visual brainstorm of imagination, color, and creativity. With so much to see and do long after the credits roll, you’d be hard pressed to find anything quite as ingeniously charming or damn right adorable.

GameInformer - 8,25/10
After a fun adventure through a world made of wool, Yoshi's transition to arts and crafts is a delight. With satisfying exploration, fun platforming, and a charming art style, Yoshi's Crafted World gives the Switch yet another strong platformer.

NintendoLife - 8/10
If you’re new to the series, Yoshi’s Crafted World has colour and charm to spare, even if its inventiveness is largely limited to its looks. For Yoshi fans, it does exactly what you expect it to, which is perhaps the worst thing we can say about it; it contains few genuine surprises. It’s delightfully presented, though, and makes for another very solid entry in Nintendo’s ever-growing pantheon of material-based platformers – it takes extreme discipline to not overuse that word ‘charm’ while discussing it. So, if you’re looking to share a light-hearted platformer with the family, or simply relax in a big chair with a cup of something warm and a comfy pair of socks, be sure to have a spare pair ready – Yoshi's Crafted World will charm the ones you’re wearing right off.

iv5pZ9F.jpg

Official Game Trailer

Story Trailer

Demo Trailer

Banned
My hype for the game died the moment I tried the demo and discovered the game's running at such a low resolution, it looks like someone smeared vaseline over my Switch.

I am SO excited for this game, it just checks all my boxes I guess. The world looks very creative and interesting to explore, it controls decently, and there are a lot of hidden collectibles to find. Too bad the music is supposedly bland, but other than that, I'm super excited.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Very nice op!

I got it today already and played for half an hour, just the first two levels, and it has been very fun. A bit slower than Woolly World unfortunately, but still fast enough to not get on my nerves. Controls well and the levels were well designed so far. Looking forward to more, but I will be disciplined and finish Pac-Man Ghostly Adventures 2 first.

I got this game to play with my girlfriend last night. It's her favorite series since the SNES.

We made it through 3 levels then she couldn't do it anymore. Said it's so easy that it's insulting and mindless.

We're going to try again next week. The game is cute, but it does really push that pre-school public television vibe pretty hard.

OldGamer

I got this game to play with my girlfriend last night. It's her favorite series since the SNES.

We made it through 3 levels then she couldn't do it anymore. Said it's so easy that it's insulting and mindless.

We're going to try again next week. The game is cute, but it does really push that pre-school public television vibe pretty hard.

So, like Yoshi's Story? Please tell me it's better than Yoshi's story

That tends to make me a bit apprehensive to a lot of these Nintendo titles that go for unusual aesthetics (usually strange child-like ones). They tend to be hit or miss. For every Paper Mario, there is a Yoshi's Story, To every Wind Waker there is a Kirby's Epic Yarn.

The latter ones tend to be pure rentals. A fun initial experience, but with little replay value and usually too short as well.

BlackTron

When I played the demo, yeah it was easy but made sense for a beginning level. I mean the first few areas of Yoshi's Island were pretty easy too, so this didn't concern me THAT much.

But the music was so bad it made me not want to play the game. Can anyone tell me if it gets better?? I still randomly hum and whistle melodies from Yoshi's Island, coming from that, this is simply not good enough.

Codes 208

That tends to make me a bit apprehensive to a lot of these Nintendo titles that go for unusual aesthetics (usually strange child-like ones). They tend to be hit or miss. For every Paper Mario, there is a Yoshi's Story, To every Wind Waker there is a Kirby's Epic Yarn.

The latter ones tend to be pure rentals. A fun initial experience, but with little replay value and usually too short as well.
My issue with yoshis story was not only was it easy, the bosses were even easier and the game was super short.

This one is more of a collectathon of sorts and I find enjoyment in that and have already put more hours into the first few levels than the entirety of Yoshis story.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Decided to pick this up cause the demo sold me on it. Definitely easy (even on the more challenging difficulty) but the game seems pretty lengthy so I'm hoping it gets harder later on. Love the levels, part Yoshi's Woolly World, part Paper Mario.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm only eight levels in, but no, if you are interested in getting all flowers, it is not as easy as Yoshi's Story. So far, I'd say it is comparable to Woolly.

GreenAlien

I wish Nintendo would stop treating children as if they are stupid. They are making some of their games way too easy.

This is in german, but it brings the point across without language. (just ~40s)
Note that it's with "easy mode" on.

(also nice is the sketch about the music at 6:00. No german language skills required.)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played for a few hours today, and got my first gem. The game is a lot of fun, but still pretty incredibly easy.

There are a few red coins / flowers I haven't been able to find yet, but for the most part I'm 100% every level. The rest of the gems don't seem like they have as many levels between them as the first, so I figure I'm farther than 1/6th of the way through. Still a fun game, and I love the visual style, but here's hoping it can eventually kick my ass a little bit down the line.

TLZ

Banned
This game is a lot of fun. It has good variety as well and feels like there's a lot to do.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Been playing this a bit this weekend. Only got some couch portable play in but it was nice and after hearing all the talk about how blurry it was, nope, it looks amazing on that screen.

I love the atmosphere. Feels very Sesame Street or Jim Henson-y but with that Nintendo twist. The platforming and gameplay mechanics are rock solid.

I’m fine with brain dead easy games, there is a place for them just as there is a place for high level play like Sekiro.

Last edited:

Andyliini

I've played this for a weekend, and have collected two gems so far. Being a perfectionist that I am, I refure to go on before I have fully completed each world. And boy there is much to do, this game feels more like a collectathon instead of a traditional Yoshi-platformer. This time you get a flower from almost anything you fully collect. Like always, there are normal smiley-flowers in each stage to collect, but instead of five there can be up to 8 to find. You also get a flower for finding 100 coins, 20 red coins or finishing the stage with full life. Not only that, but the flipside has you running the stages backwards, and collecting Poochie pups while racing agains a clock, 4 more flowers per stage here. It doesn't even end there, as each worlds guardian robot asks you from time to time to look for something in the stages, each mission gives you extra smiley flower. So there seems to be quite a lot of flowers, but you only need few of them to advance. I don't know if the game gives you something special for collecting all of them.

I like the art style and stage design is varied, and imaginative. The game also runs smoothly, I have not seen any kind of slowdown on my playtime so far. The music is also disappointing, consisting only of a few tracks, and remixes of those. It seems like Good-feel used most of the production time and budget for learning the use of Unreal Engine. It's a good game, though, and I definitely recommend it if you liked Yoshi's Woolly World. I think so far that YWW was a better game, but I still have some more things to see in YCW. So far, I have enjoyed my time with the game.

Renoir

I really like this game. But i cant play it more than 20 min at a time, the music gets so annoying at some points.

StAidan

I find the music pretty inoffensive, even if it is a disappointment after the glorious Woolly World soundtrack.

The game itself is pretty good so far (I've only gotten the first gem), but I, too, hope the challenge increases soon.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
looove this game. so colorful and fun. it really feels like that old SNES entry, minus the annoying crying baby, with really realistic graphics. the DIY aesthetic is super cute and the HD engine makes this look like the best graphics for a mainline Nintendo game ever IMO. people that are tired of the New Super Mario Bros. look should check this out for fresh 2D action.

lol i genuinely love the soundtrack everyone hates. yes it sounds like it is done on Fisher price equipment, a Jaymar piano, recorder, triangles, the jazz drums & organ, etc. but i like that. it sounds like a twee chamber orchestra. the Mario games always had a ragtime, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, turn-of-the-century feel to them, so the music feels very appropriate (and catchy) to me.

love the theremin in that one level i'm a sucker for that instrument.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was playing this over the weekend with my brother and had a ton of fun. The way one Yoshi can jump on the back of the other leads to a lot of really funny moments lol, especially when you're trying to compete for getting to an enemy first or if you're in a hurry. The costumes are awesome too and the stages kept me interested in seeing what was coming up next.
I have to admit that the music wasn't always so hot though, but most of the tracks I heard were decent.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
god this game looks so good. its a little low res in parts but it still looks amazing and when Switch Pro or whatever comes out it will look insanely good. i want to play this in VR! the 3D depth is really cool, i like shooting eggs at stuff in the foreground.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yummmm this game is delicious. for real these levels are DEEP and complex. many level take me 10 minutes, and im exploring and looking at all the cool stuff they've hidden everywhere.

at times it pulls inspiration from Super Mario Bros. 2 and the original Yoshi's Island, but lots of it reminds me of Super Mario World if the graphics were on the level of Donkey Kong Country.

really love this game! it is 10x the game New Super Mario was IMO. the music is wonderful. the challenge is actually decent for a modern platformer, and the levels are all very unique looking and totally gorgeous to behold! if you wish Mario Odyssey had a 2D companion, check this out.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Looking forward to playing this with my kids sometime. Shame about the music, though. Seems to be the chief complaint I keep hearing.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it's pretty cool. i like it a lot. it is very mellow. the melodies are nice and simple. i really don't understand what the fuck people want from this music. this is hand crafted levels and the music is all Fisher Price keyboards and hand held percussion and stuff. it is thematic. it is not imposing on the gameplay. it is laid back.

it's all pretty catchy too. i find myself humming the main overworld theme during the day. it has this Saturday Afternoon junkyard vibe to it. like some theme from a cartoon they would show on Sesame Street in the 70s. lots of organs and vibes and recorders and stuff.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
yummmm this game is delicious. for real these levels are DEEP and complex. many level take me 10 minutes, and im exploring and looking at all the cool stuff they've hidden everywhere.

at times it pulls inspiration from Super Mario Bros. 2 and the original Yoshi's Island, but lots of it reminds me of Super Mario World if the graphics were on the level of Donkey Kong Country.

really love this game! it is 10x the game New Super Mario was IMO. the music is wonderful. the challenge is actually decent for a modern platformer, and the levels are all very unique looking and totally gorgeous to behold! if you wish Mario Odyssey had a 2D companion, check this out.
Hmm, that's what I like to hear. I didn't like the demo for Crafted World but I wanted impressions from other GAFers.

Yoshi's WW was also a miss at first but once I dug in I fell in love with the variety of levels.

zenspider

Anyone else play co-op?

You automatically 'ride' the other Yoshi if you jump on them, which happens quite a lot unintentionally.

It still feels really good, but there are a couple of niggles. One, the ridden Yoshi can't use eggs. Seperate, Yoshis can hit each other/block eggs. You can spit the other Yoshi as an egg, but only for the 2D targets.

We only played for an hour last night, but so far it strikes a good balance between frustrating and hilarious. I'm hoping we get more mindful of our spacing before it becomes less funny.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m having so much fun with this.

I think Good Feel is one of the few developers that understand that gaming doesn’t always have to be this challenging, stressful thing. The crux of their games over the last decade is to soothe, deliver unique and fantastic visuals, be totally fun, and deliver some best-in-class exploration.

Crafted World feels like it could wind up being the apex of that mission, in my playthrough so far.

It seems like the level design and exploration (courtesy of quasi-3D and the fantastic arts-and-crafts theme) have never been this good, and the visuals are equal parts adorable and impressive in how they replicate real world materials.

And the sheer artistry of the game. The levels look good in two ways, both in the theme that they’re trying to represent, and how they’re built. Every single thing can be traced back to DIY or common household materials, never once cheating, and despite that, it really does feel like you’re visiting all these different worlds and locations.

It’s this perfect balance of a ‘that’s so cool how they did that’ theme, without becoming gimmicky and obtrusive.

I’m going to keep playing, but I just had to find this OT, and give it a little love.

(I should mention, although it’s probably well-known, that as a Switch Lite player and a pixel... junkie (?), I found the resolution to be a little below satisfactory. At first. I quickly got used to it, and find the game immensely visually appealing, but it is worth noting)

Last edited:
Finished the game recently. I enjoyed it, but I thought Woolly World was better. Too much stuff to collect in the new one, I really think the game would have been better without the souvenirs. Real final boss was absolutely tricky, that was some Sekiro stuff lol.

HotPocket69

Banned
So I think I’m gonna grab this today. I could use a chill 2D platformer collectathon. This OT needs more love!

Totally agree about the late 70s-early 80s Sesame Street look and feel. It’s part of the reason why I want it.

D.Final

Banned
So I think I’m gonna grab this today. I could use a chill 2D platformer collectathon. This OT needs more love!

Totally agree about the late 70s-early 80s Sesame Street look and feel. It’s part of the reason why I want it.

It's definitely a nice game

Orta

Banned
Spent Christmas playing it. An utterly charming game and I was quite taken aback by the size if it, most acts take a good ten minutes or more to finish if you aren't rushing through them. And the variety throughout keeps things fresh. It's very easy mind but its clearly a (big) kids game. Special mention obviously goes to the graphics though, they really are unique and the stop motion animation used in the cut-scenes as simple as it was looked amazing. I think I said elsewhere this game would look incredible had it been mastered in 1080p/4k.

Only low point was the soundtrack, sounded like something from Teletubbies. Disappointing when you consider some of the in-house composers Nintendo has at hand.

Top Bottom