• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Woolly World |OT| It's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die!

New002

Woah just checked my email and the shipping info changed to next day air! Best Buy = Bestest Buy. Brofist for the Gamer's Club mention, it's basically a requirement if you are gonna buy games at retail.

Anywho,I can't wait to play this with the GF, I haven't played a Yoshi-centric game since Yoshi's Island.

Ditto. Pumped for a Yoshi game and pumped for the co-op. Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games so the bar is set pretty high here. I hope this can at least match Yoshi's Island for me.

Blues1990

A friend had gotten the game a week early, and we have completed it at 95% (we just have a couple of the special stages to complete). It was a serviceable platforming game, but with Rayman Legends and Tropical Freeze both blowing our socks off, Woolly World was unmemorable in comparison.

But that was just us. I can definitely see the praise the game had got when it was released in Japan & Europe earlier this year, and it's great that there's a mode where you can make the game more manageable for those who suck at platformers. Also, both the game and the Amiibo are sickeningly cute.

woolly-yoshi-amiibo-release-date.png

A friend had gotten the game a week early, and we have completed it at 95% (we just have a couple of the special stages to complete). It was a serviceable platforming game, but with Rayman Legends and Tropical Freeze both blowing our socks off, Woolly World was unmemorable in comparison.
Yeah, people are just excited since we finally got a Yoshi game close to the original. However, as you said Rayman Legends set a high standard for 2D platformers.
The game is fun, but very safe for Nintendo.

Source: JPN copy

I don't care about amiibos, but I want one of the Yarn Yoshis. They're really neat.

When I demoed the game at E3, they brought one out, but wouldn't let us touch it whatsoever. :(

fernoca

Preload just updated, time to play! :)

EDIT: And just scanned every amiibo I have, so unlocked 47 costumes. As expected, no Pokémon work, neither Chibi Robo.

So with that out of the way, will actually play now! :p

EDIT #2:
And just at 1-3, I think this could be one of my favorite games this year and in years.

Not only because of the tight Yoshi's Island like gameplay and the amazing visuals and music. Or because of the memories this brings back from pkaying Yoshi's Island on SNES and Yoshi's Story on N64; but because of my mother.

She passed away two years ago (and introduced me to/and liked Nintendo) did a lot of crafts, knitting, crochet...so all the textures, buttons, glitter...brings back some great memories. :)

Peterthumpa

She oassed away two years ago (and introduced me to/and liked Nintendo) did a lot of crafts, knitting, crochet...so all the textures, buttons, glitter...brings back some great memories. :)
That's amazing, really happy that the game brought you such good memories. Enjoy it!

Amazon still has it on pre-order

I just preordered it

I can't wait. My son is having a sleepover and when he comes back he'll shit his pants. He's been asking for this game for MONTHS now. It was hard to explain to him why he can't get the copy at the store because it was PAL

fernoca

My son is having a sleepover and when he comes back he'll shit his pants. He's been asking for this game for MONTHS now. It was hard to explain to him why he can't get the copy at the store because it was PAL
Eeeww..poor kid. :p

Game's great and has co-op so the other kids can have some fun too.

htPFpZ4.jpg

Love the little details!

jariw

Finished world 1 about to go back and 100% world 1 now but im loving this much much better than Yoshi's new island

Good luck with
1-S
. That's the first real test. :)

5-S is amazing. I'm still amazed to play such a level in a 2D Yoshi game.

El Odio

Banned
My amazon bundle should be waiting in the mail room for me when I wake up tomorrow. Plan on going through this with the gf and I'm super stoked!

jariw

Is this more about skillful platforming mechanics, or more focused on coasting through a bit with collectables?

To reach all the collectables, you need skillful platforming skills, unless you use Mellow Mode. Even though the collectables can be obtained during multiple runs, it's still quite a challenge to get them all on world 5+6. The S levels are all about skill.

The Yoshi reviews were even funnier.

"The controls are SO GOOD it makes the game too easy"

"Hidden items are HIDDEN, it's so HARD TO FIND THINGS"

I thought that too, I may have even commented in this thread about how ridiculous it is to complain about hidden things being hidden. But having recently finished the game the hidden items are a fucking nuisance.

I don't mind things being hidden behind walls so much, but when clouds are hidden behind nothing in the middle of nowhere it can become very annoying.

Robin64

I dunno, I felt like the invisible stuff was always in an obvious place. The peak of a hill or an obvious gap with nothing in it.

But even then, if you really wanted, there's a badge that makes them visible too.

I dunno, I felt like the invisible stuff was always in an obvious place. The peak of a hill or an obvious gap with nothing in it.

But even then, if you really wanted, there's a badge that makes them visible too.

I did not know this. In fact, I haven't got a clue what any of the badges do having paid them absolutely no attention whatsoever.

I may be inclined to go back and unlock the extra levels now.

ramparter

Banned
I feel bad for putting this game aside just a few days I after bought it back in June, when there are people here who were waiting this whole time to play it.

The game is great btw, I just played a lot with a friend ---- the co op is the best I've played in 2D platformers --- and then didn't feel like replaying the levels on my own.

Robin64

Tch. It's not just Pokémon that get the short straw with this game, the Chibi-Robo amiibo also only unlocks "amiibo Yoshi". Lame.

AdanVC

Oh my this game is finally out in the americas... Will probably skip it cuz I have money issues this month but I will get it eventually. Game looks awesome.

Pre-ordered the bundle and it's on the way by now. Weird thing is I'm not that excited for it, just got it for the bundle but hopefully I'll enjoy it more once it gets here. Captain Toad is another game I wasn't that excited for but it blew me away once I played it.

Robin64

I've created a new album for the amiibo skins, as the old one wouldn't let me update it anymore.

http://imgur.com/a/nuEIv

This includes everything, as far as I can tell, 51 skins. The latest waves are in there, as is Falco. Mewtwo will, of course, do nothing. Only time will tell if Lucas, Roy, and Ryu will do anything.

Unison

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

This game is awesome... from art style to level design to soundtrack to core gameplay.

I've just played a world thus far, but this is clearly the best Yoshi game in ages.

Unison

I love Mario Maker for what it is... but playing impeccably designed levels after playing that for the last month is like finding an oasis in the desert!

ultrazilla

Went to Meijers at 4 in the morning. Picked up the the version with the Yoshi Amiibo included. For $59 it's a steal!

I'm at World 1-3 and it's fantastic. The controls are tight and responsive. The graphics-wow. Simply amazing. Some of the best I've seen in any game. IMHO, much better than Little Big Planet on PS4. Bright, colorful, crystal clear images and cute character designs are throughout. The music is superb. Will easily be considered a Game of the Year candidate.

Now, back to Yoshi!!!

ultrazilla

I love Mario Maker for what it is... but playing impeccably designed levels after playing that for the last month is like finding an oasis in the desert!

Totally feel the same way! I'll be giving Mario Maker alot of love but it's fun to play some proper old-school 2-D side scrolling action levels in the new Yoshi game. Really fun mechanics.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is the game shorter than Epic Yarn, or similar length?

Longer. A 100% run of Kirby took me ~10-15 hours, a 100% run of Yoshi took me 20. Though Kirby was piss-easy, even including all collectibles, so it might be the same length and errors on my side might have slowed me down.

@Hollywood: Two Yoshis, but you can eat the other Yoshi, turn him into a ball or jump over the other Yoshi's head. It's more than in NSMB / DKC, but less than in Rayman Legends.

georly

Zero interest in this game, personally, but the kids in the house want it, so I guess I'll head out to best buy once they open and pray they have the bundle and the 2 amiibo (so I can give each of them a gift).

Longer. A 100% run of Kirby took me ~10-15 hours, a 100% run of Yoshi took me 20. Though Kirby was piss-easy, even including all collectibles, so it might be the same length and errors on my side might have slowed me down.

@Hollywood: Two Yoshis, but you can eat the other Yoshi, turn him into a ball or jump over the other Yoshi's head. It's more than in NSMB / DKC, but less than in Rayman Legends.

The former is how Amiibo works.
2 players is each player controls a Yoshi. So like NSMB games.

Hm, ok thanks. I was hoping for something more like Rayman. This will probably be a tough sell to get my wife on board. Guess I'm riding solo once again! Looking forward to picking it up tonight.

Top Bottom