• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

@Yosp: PlayStation Plus Won’t Be Required to Record and Stream Video of Games on PS4

Hoo-doo

Banned
45652-klaar-ontwikkel05yq1.jpg
So apparently our favorite PR mouthpiece Shuhei Yoshida commented on Twitter that the features underneath the "share" button on the PS4 controller will be free to use for everyone.

Dualshockers said:
After we learned that Xbox Live Gold will be necessary to record and stream video of games on the upcoming Xbox One, many wondered if Sony Computer Entertainment would pull the same stunt with the similar feature on the PS4.
Since Shuhei Yoshida is well known for running an alternative “customer service” on Twitter, by his own admission, many took to the social networking site to ask him the burning question, quite a few times. Luckily the answer is no. Yoshida-san confirmed that the recording and streaming feature will be accessible to everyone, regardless of their PlayStation Plus subscription status.

Article here:

Dualshockers

capturelvaqm.jpg

Durante

I just get the feeling that Sony, on their own, wouldn't even be able to conceive the idea of locking an offline feature behind an online fee. Maybe after MS shows that people are willing to pay it for an entire generation... again.

Roxas

Think that was a given. I dont think they could put a share button on the controller and then hide the feature behind a paywall.

madmackem

I think thats a goodthing, not everyone wants multiplayer, now we know apps arnt behind paywall, recording isnt behind paywall, f2p isnt behind paywall. Good for those not wanting multiplayer.

LCfiner

I've been thinking they had to go this route as soon as they put the "share" button on the controller and showed that off in Feb.

If the share stuff had been hidden behind a generic system menu, then I wouldn't have been quite so sure.

StiLt

Never thought it would be, but the confirmation is nice to have I guess for those that aren't planning on subscribing. I'm cert for PS+ in any event.

Sony sure is smart, keep letting MS make the first move and recieve the backlash so they can do the opposite and play the knight in shining armor.

Durante

Microsoft... just see what Sony is doing. Watch and learn how to make your consumers happy.

This is great.
Actually, this isn't great at all.

It's the basic expectation to use your hardware features without paying a monthly fee.

It's not that this is great, it's that what MS is doing is utterly unacceptable.

Sony sure is smart, keep letting MS make the first move and recieve the backlash so they can do the opposite and play the knight in shining armor.
In this case at least I think that's bullshit. Sony never planned to gate share features behind PS+.

I think thats a goodthing, not everyone wants multiplayer, now we know apps arnt behind paywall, recording isnt behind paywall, f2p isnt behind paywall. Good for those not wanting multiplayer.
pretty much...I rarely play multiplayer so it's really not appealing to me outside of the free downloads and discounts.

PS needs to cater to a world-wide user base, and there's millions who never touch online...

Hoo-doo

Banned
Microsoft... just see what Sony is doing. Watch and learn how to make your consumers happy.

This is great.

At this point, Sony doesn't have to do much of anything, except bat away all the negative and anti-consumer practices that are present on the competitor platform.

It has a bonus effect of them looking like the saviours of consumer rights. Consumers win.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thankfully.

I mean it just makes sense. This is content promotion for them. Why would you make people pay to do that?

Microsoft is showing Nintendo-like logic - i.e. similar to when Nintendo tried to make a play for ad revenue on youtube videos featuring their games. Which is kind of shockingly ass backwards for a company that was on the forefront of network console gaming for so long.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
True— as much as I was disappointed by the PS+ requirement for online MP (albeit somewhat understand why) having these features free for everyone lessens that bitter taste, if ever so slightly.

TheJCAbr

Banned

It's the basic expectation to use your hardware features without paying a monthly fee.

It's not that this is great, it's that what MS is doing is utterly unacceptable.
Of course. This should be free from the start but Sony guys still have some sense in their heads. That's what's great.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Didn't they confirm this before when saying no social feature (except for the social non-f2p multiplayer) will be behind a paywall?

The paywall for multiplayer sucks, but at least it isn't trying to prop up the value by locking other stuff behind it.

Finalizer

So who are our lovely recipients of fresh crow today? I seem to recall several folks claiming that the PS4's game DVR functionality would definitely be behind the paywall. Since, ya know, Sony's in such dire financial straits, it's practically guaranteed.

Hopefully, this all comes to a head at some point and MS is forced to make the logical choice of following suite.

In this case at least I think that's bullshit. Sony never planned to gate share features behind PS+.
That goes for everything though, even not blocking online was not a noble deed, it just seemed so as Microsoft had messed up their messaging / decisions so badly.

Again, Sony make the right choice, but it isn't as if weekday they've done is spectacular.

DBT85

So who are our lovely recipients of fresh crow today? I seem to recall several folks claiming that the PS4's game DVR functionality would definitely be behind the paywall. Since, ya know, Sony's in such dire financial straits, it's practically guaranteed.

Hopefully, this all comes to a head at some point and MS is forced to make the logical choice of following suite.

Microsoft won't let Sony not put it behind a paywall. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

/s

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Truth right there. We're at a point now where one really wonders what you can actually do w/out a Gold sub on Xbone.

Don't know about you guys but would it be safe to say that for every controversial choice that microsoft make in regards to XB1, we can just assume that Sony will do the complete opposite?

Thats how things seem to me so far.

Was a button just for share really that necessary? I mean i could imagine using it once in a while but definitely not something with great regularity.

Dynedom

Funny thing is, there were still fans declaring "Sony too!" on this as well lol.

It seems to be the knee-jerk reaction to any piece of Negative xbone news. I'd expect similar things when a new piece of PS4 bad news comes out.

Didn't they confirm this before when saying no social feature (except for the social non-f2p multiplayer) will be behind a paywall?

The paywall for multiplayer sucks, but at least it isn't trying to prop up the value by locking other stuff behind it.

PS+ doesn't need more adding to it to make it good value. It already is. MS need to "add" features because on its own XBLG isn't as good value. Though they seem to be doing the wrong things to try and turn that around.

LCfiner

Was a button just for share really that necessary? I mean i could imagine using it once in a while but definitely not something with great regularity.

Honestly, I doubt I'll use it much, either. But it's something that Sony really wants to push - it's a key part of the system - and putting that button on the controller is a good way to put the feature in people's faces and get them to use it.

Top Bottom