• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You’re tasked with implementing loot boxes into Super Mario Odyssey. What do you do?

The AC loot boxes thread gave me an idea...

You’re a designer on the Super Mario Odyssey team and, oh no! Just six months away from ship, the internal marketing department has reviewed the game and mandated that in order to maximize profits and adhere to the latest industry monetization trends, the game must include a loot box system. This is an order that must be fulfilled at all costs and refusal or failure means the loss of your job (and most very shameful dishonor).

With this in mind: What changes do you make to Super Mario Odyssey? What is your implementation?

Go nuts with realistic or wacky evil ideas!
(and pray that any of it ever comes to fruition)

Wamb0wneD

I'd reconsider my life choices and then jump out the window so it doesn't happen. At least not in a world I'm still part of.

Any amiibo can be tapped once every 2 weeks for a random set of costumes for Mario, which said gear can also be unlocked through normal gameplay. I think current setup Nintendo has is that certain amiibo give you specific costumes, but it'd be nicer if you could just tap any amiibo and it would randomize.

Chittagong

Gold Member
HTTP3N0cmVhbTEuZ2lmc291cC5jb20vdmlldzUvNDcxNzYwNC9jaHJpcy1tb3JyaXMtanVtcHMtb3V0LXdpbmRvdy1vLmdpZgloglog.gif

VeeP

The AC loot boxes thread gave me an idea...

You’re a designer on the Super Mario Odyssey team and, oh no! Just six months away from ship, the internal marketing department has reviewed the game and mandated that in order to maximize profits and adhere to the latest industry monetization trends, the game must include a loot box system. This is an order that must be fulfilled at all costs and refusal or failure means the loss of your job (and most very shameful dishonor).

With this in mind: What changes do you make to Super Mario Odyssey? What is your implementation?

Go nuts with realistic or wacky evil ideas!
(and pray that any of it ever comes to fruition)

I'd make new Amiibo's. They'd be shaped like the normal ? box but more special, and be called "Loot Box Amiibo". They're would be 5 different Loot Box Amiibo's (Loot Box Amiibo A, B, C, etc.), and each time you use the amiibo (limited times per day/per week) you would get different costumes/power ups.

joecanada

Question mark blocks for purchase !

Exclusive costumes for sale like retro tanooki suit !

1up mushrooms for sale !

Yoshi's for sale !

Unlock toad as playable character! Only 300 hours of grinding or available in loot boxes!

Keys to unlock warp pipes available only in loot boxes !

Play now no paid dlc guys!!*

* Dlc subject to review

I would have 3 tiers of crates:

Bronze, silver, and gold crates. Each one gives a set amount of coins, as well as a random piece of clothing for Mario to wear.

There are exclusive clothing items in each crate, and they are cycled out weekly (I took that from Splatoon). Meaning if you didn't get them the first time, you might not see them again!

I would later introduce platinum crates, costing 20$. They give guaranteed clothing drops, coins, and a possible chance for you to finish the game immediately with a special power up:
Starlow

DMONKUMA

Integrate them with amiibo. Boom.

If anything use one of the two existing currencies in the game to buy loot boxes.

Gator86

Honestly, at this point I just hope every game with lootboxes fucking bombs disastrously. I would probably drink a lot if I was forced to do this.

Fou-Lu

They would just give different colours of outfits you can get in game. Occasionally they would give a super rare silver, gold, or pink gold version!

EhoaVash

The amiibos themselves are loot boxes lmao Nintendo already in this loot box craze and we just haven't realized it yet

Collection coins, turn in for loot boxes.
Spend real money, you can buy what you see early.
All items can be collected with coins. You will be able to buy all things in one play through if you 100% the game.
No grind needed

Very clever idea for a thread. Too bad it’ll be filled with drama-queens talking about how they’d rather shoot themselves.

I’d do something simple. For every 100 coins you collect, a steel crate in the hub-hat-ship becomes brick that you can now jump underneath and hit for a randomly collected decal for use in your collection room. Or maybe non-essential clothing variations for Mario.

Was that so hard you babies.

Wamb0wneD

Very clever idea for a thread. Too bad it'll be filled with drama-queens talking about how they'd rather shoot themselves.

I'd do something simple. For every 100 coins you collect, a steel crate in the hub-hat-ship becomes brick that you can now jump underneath and hit for a randomly collected decal for use in your collection room. Or maybe non-essential clothing variations for Mario.

Was that so hard you babies.

What's clever about it? It's just a hypothetical idea of making a game worse. Good thing the non-essential clothing variations for Mario are in the game already without any loot boxes attached to them.

SalvaPot

The whole Hats and suits are pretty much MADE for loot box abuse, like, holy shit, so many nostalgic costumes to put on Mario.

-Hats
-Shirt
-Pants
-Gloves
-Accessories.

You can collect the in-game currency or pay real money for special Bouncy coins for more chances to get your favorite!

And hey! Its PURELY COSMETIC! You don't need to buy them, right? You can get them by playing the game, right? Nothing wrooong with that!

Yokai

Instead of finding moons in the world, you find crates with a chance to get a moon. You can pay for more crates for more chances to get a moon.

Once you get all the moons, you then have to collect all the stars. You buy star crates now instead of moon crates, you cannot find stars in the game world.

edit: Worth noting, I don't think Nintendo would ever do a crate system in a major title. It's too close to gambling, will probably be targeted to older audiences because of it.

Quonny

Least nefarious: cosmetic hats.

Most nefarious: super jumps and other power ups that are limited and required to get all the moons.

People said the same thing about season passes and paid online. Now look where we’re at.
What I mean is Nintendo doesn't make massive design changes to its premier game 6 months away from shipping because of marketing. They may do loot boxes but it'll be in the design of the game from the beginning. Take a look at Badge Arcade, which is a clear gambling-inspired game. It's built around that idea from the ground up.

I guess what I'm saying is the premise doesn't make sense. If you want to just ask how somebody would put loot boxes in a Mario game, just ask straight up without the unlikely scenario and weird racial jokes about honor.

Mario can only transform into loot box items. You can play level 1-1 to earn coins until you get the draw that will get you the transformation you need to get through 1-2.

I'd reconsider my life choices and then jump out the window so it doesn't happen. At least not in a world I'm still part of.

Burn down nintendo because they are rotten to the core at that point

Go around my department manager straight to Miyamoto; count on him to flip the right tables. Failing that, resign.

End my life with honor.

Old Yeller this thread before Nintendo gets any bad ideas.

I'd have to go back to the future to retrieve the Almanac

Seppuku on the steps of headquarters

Kill myself

I would first kill myself.

If I was hired to put loot boxes in any game, I would quit.

I would ask the person with the demand do they play video games.

Nintendo doesn't work that way

Commit Sudoku.

You're tasked with creating a good NeoGAF thread. What do you do?

Honestly, at this point I just hope every game with lootboxes fucking bombs disastrously. I would probably drink a lot if I was forced to do this.
Ya’ll do know that Nintendo selling Amiibos to unlock “DLC” is already one of the most anti-consumer practices in the industry right? I wonder how the reaction here would be if I described locking content behind spottily stocked cheap $13 plastic that may be discontinued at some point and is the only means of activating content on a disc you already paid for to you guys.

Top Bottom