• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You’re tasked with implementing loot boxes into Super Mario Odyssey. What do you do?

RevenWolf

That’s up to your level of motivation! I think we’d all enjoy reading both sides!

Ok!

Implement regular and premium loot boxes! The regular can be purchased for 100 gold coins but take 24 hours to open! Premium are cash only and open instantly with the same rewards.

Least invasive: unique Mario costumes that cross over from other game properties. Money only but new skins created and added each week. No chance of duplicates, and chances fir specific skins listed.

Also include option to buy specific skin outright.

Pudge

Ya’ll do know that Nintendo selling Amiibos to unlock “DLC” is already one of the most anti-consumer practices in the industry right? I wonder how the reaction here would be if I described locking content behind spottily stocked cheap $13 plastic that may be discontinued at some point and is the only means of activating content on a disc you already paid for to you guys.

But I get a physical toy that I put on my shelf with an amiibo. There's a huge difference between buying a trinket that maybe has gameplay attached to it and buying the digital nonsense that a game was crippled around.

Forget video game loot boxes, it's time for real life loot boxes. Announcing an all-new line of Amiibos of your favourite Nintendo characters, with a fun new twist! They're available exclusively in New Nintendo™ Loot Boxes! For just a small extra cost, you can experience the thrill of paying for an Amiibo before you know which one you're going to get*. Collect them all!

*All purchases are final, no refunds will be offered, available for a limited time only

Why implement loot boxes when I can introduce one time use only Amiibos?

This is great! Let’s take that a step further into pure evilness: imagine if Nintendo sold opaque-boxed Mystery Amiibos?

It’s an Amiibo package that contains a random Amiibo and you can’t tell which is in before opening it, no refunds/returns allowed, but you just might strike lucky and get one of the rare fabled Rose Gold Rosalina, of which only 10,000 units exist, only obtainable in Mystery Amiibo packages!

Kinda like Kinder Surprise, but for Amiibos!

latest

Edit: GODDAMMIT beaten by 2 posts! Curse you! :p

Power up blocks are replaced with loot boxes.

Hitting them allows you to earn a special power up, cosmetic skin, voice line, or hat skins, but you need to buy a key to open them. Dont worry, they are earnable in game by collecting 10,000 coins.

nikos

Forget video game loot boxes, it's time for real life loot boxes. Announcing an all-new line of Amiibos of your favourite Nintendo characters, with a fun new twist! They're available exclusively in New Nintendo™ Loot Boxes! For just a small extra cost, you can experience the thrill of paying for an Amiibo before you know which one you're going to get*. Collect them all!

*All purchases are final, no refunds will be offered, available for a limited time only

These already exist. They're called blind boxes.

Yokai

I apologize for my naivety and ignorance, but whats a loot box?

This is a lootbox (from Overwatch.) It's essentially an in-game card pack. I don't think there's much wrong with lootbox mechanics per say, but it has created a lot of controversy on neogaf recently for some good reasons.

With Overwatch, it is a good way for Blizzard to get income while being committed to the free-update model.

But I get a physical toy that I put on my shelf with an amiibo. There's a huge difference between buying a trinket that maybe has gameplay attached to it and buying the digital nonsense that a game was crippled around.
But what if I dont want more plastic shit to clutter my surroundings, but I want acess to the content already on the disc I paid for?

Oh.

Ahasverus

Commit sudoku with my bare hands.

I'm not able to tarnish a work such as Mario with such filth.

It's like putting an inflatable dick on Michelangelo's David.

Aters

You joke now, but I can see Nintendo do that one day, just like how they start charging for online. If everyone else is doing it, no reason for Nintendo to leave money on the table.

What's clever about it? It's just a hypothetical idea of making a game worse. Good thing the non-essential clothing variations for Mario are in the game already without any loot boxes attached to them.
Ape Escape 2 and 3 did this a decade and a half ago and the world didn’t end. It was actually quite fun to arrive to the hub with coins to plunk into the capsule machine to unlock bonus content. What’s wrong with this exactly? It’s essentially a random prize for unlocking something in the game with the coins collected from standard gameplay.

forrest

formerly nacire
Scan amiibo
DK Barrel falls from the sky
Mario jumps on or throws hat to break
Random coins, mushrooms, power ups are inside
Rare outfits items can be found as well
Timer resets on amiibo 24 hours later
Repeat

SeanTSC

I'd start spending corporate resources on copious amounts of alcohol. Eventually I'd start going bald due to the stress, despite no one in my family line ever having their hair thin out before. At some point I'd be put into an expensive rehab facility on the company's dime, but eventually start drinking again. Finally, I'd die from heart disease due to gorging myself on as much fried Japanese food as possible to fill the void in my soul.

Lijik

Make it like Breath of the Wild where buying an Amiibo lets you spawn infinite "loot boxes" (make em ? blocks i guess) that give you a chance to earn a specific costume but only one at a time and once a day. You earn character specific tokens in random amounts that let you purchase the hat and outfit of the amiibo you're using from a vendor. If you're really lucky that day you might get the hat or outfit outright. Character tokens can also be traded for ingame currency if you have extra after the getting the set.

NickMitch

Those outfits would go into loot crates. You can open them with in game currency but to get the rare ones you have to pay with cash. So i would apply rarity to the outfits. Filters for the photomode would go inte boxes. Aswell as miniatyre figures and artwork. Oh yeah almost forgot: The outfits are single use and you can get duplicates.

The boxes are sold in the outfit store.

I mean it wouldnt be very hard to do, all the neccessary parts are there.

tesqui

I'd probably leak the news and get fired. I would then hope that the internet creates such a shit storm that they back down on it.

Dyle

Every time you get to a new kingdom you're given 3 loot boxes. In order to actually play the game and earn moons for anything you do, you have to unlock the moon in a loot box. Each loot box gives between 3-7 moons, depending on the rarity of the loot box. You can get duplicates, which are sold for 1/10th of the price of the loot box in coins. The big grand moons that boss battles are behind are only dropped in the rarest tier of loot box. Loot boxes can be purchased starting at 100 coins for the cheapest, to 500 coins for the rarest. so the real world price is $1.00 and $5.00. There is also a separate set of loot boxes from which you receive the cosmetic items, which can be purchased through purple coins, but you can only get 2 per kingdom, there are duplicates, and you are not guaranteed to get everything with those two loot boxes. After you've spent your 100 purple coins, the only way to get everything is by spending money. Also whenever you die, an enemy in the world takes your lootbox and you have to track them down and capture them to get it back, but if you kill them before you capture them then the lootbox is gone forever. You also need to be always connected to the internet because there is an unskippable video ad before each loot box

This means that to complete the game, just beating bowser, requires opening around 200 loot boxes, and 100%ing the game requires closer to 400, depending on your luck. Cappy is also always encouraging you to purchase loot boxes with his large text box obscuring a third of the screen. There are also some enemies, especially after you reach New Donk City, that require upgrading your hat to capture, which is done by recycling loot boxes rather than opening them. This process adds a bit of XP to the cappy meter and spits out a few coins, it takes 5 loot boxes to level up Cappy, who has a max level of 5 which is necessary to beat the final final boss, Giant Mecha Tiara, who can only be fought upon reaching 200% completion after beating the full game with Mario and Wario, but each attempt requires filling the galactic readiness bar through either fully replaying the Moon Kingdom or by recycling Moon Kingdom loot boxes.

There is also a special bonus mission which can only be played by scanning a special amiibo, which is a real life rabbit with a cappy hat. The rabbit has to be purchased with the hat, is of super limited quantities, and preorders go up at 2AM only on Petsmart's website to shoppers with a Petsmart Plus subscription. This wouldn't be a big deal except that the bonus mission is bob-omb battlefield from mario 64. Amid the crazy fanbase, the amiibo cappy hat becomes literally worth its weight in gold and the rabbits are deified as holy beings. No journalists say anything bad about this because they all get a free pet rabbit out of it

But it's all ok because the lootbox opening animation is fantastic, showing a beautifully rendered magician's hat, with a funny animation of cappy reaching into it and pulling out all your winnings with a broodal or two. Players are upset, but it receives an 82 on Metacritic, and Nintendo overtakes Walmart as the world's largest company by revenue in 2018

Ape Escape 2 and 3 did this a decade and a half ago and the world didn’t end. It was actually quite fun to arrive to the hub with coins to plunk into the capsule machine to unlock bonus content. What’s wrong with this exactly? It’s essentially a random prize for unlocking something in the game with the coins collected from standard gameplay.

The difference is that the game didn’t ask you to pay real money for it, and didn’t make the amount of grinding required to attain desirable objects constantly pit your patience against your wallet.

Anth0ny

cosmetics out the ass

rarest ones are like zelda/metroid/other nintendo franchise

majora's mask would be the rarest one of all. gotta spend like $100 to get it at LEAST

Luminaire

Amiibo Loot Boxes.

Mystery Amiibos at retail that give you a random Amiibo with a chance to get a rare one. These amiibo's unlock in-game lootboxes, each one having a certain collection of items.

HardRojo

Keep my dignity and prepare a lengthy presentation about Switch sales, Switch demography, Shadow of War's reception in the interwebz, Forza 7 section, reasons Mario doesn't need this shit, a live reaction reel of Odyssey reveal trailer and a middle finger to finish my presentation before I'm fired.

100 coins per loot box. Loot boxes exclusively unlock a number of jumps from 1-100 you can take which is initially limited to 100 at the start of the game. If you run out of accessible coins and jumps, then you can buy a box for $0.99 or restart the game :)

Keep my dignity and prepare a lengthy presentation about Switch sales, Switch demography, Shadow of War's reception in the interwebz, Forza 7 section, reasons Mario doesn't need this shit, a live reaction reel of Odyssey reveal reactions, a middle finger to finish my presentation before I'm fired.

I think I would have all of Jim Sterling’s videos on the matter translated and recast by a Japanese actor, and add them to the presentation. It would be worth it.

The difference is that the game didn’t ask you to pay real money for it, and didn’t make the amount of grinding required to attain desirable objects constantly pit your patience against your wallet.
Where did I describe paying real currency? I only make it attainable with in-game coins. Or is real money a requirement for loot boxes?

Parfait

Ya’ll do know that Nintendo selling Amiibos to unlock “DLC” is already one of the most anti-consumer practices in the industry right? I wonder how the reaction here would be if I described locking content behind spottily stocked cheap $13 plastic that may be discontinued at some point and is the only means of activating content on a disc you already paid for to you guys.

You're insane. Most amiibos are usable over multiple games. Name me one DLC that does that. You also get a physical, official toy for a reasonable price. There IS an issue of stock, but other than that, Amiibos are amazing.

That said, weren't they planning to release like cards to do the same thing that amiibo do anyway?

Where did I describe paying real currency? I only make it attainable with in-game coins. Or is real money a requirement for loot boxes?

Read my OP again. This is a request from the marketing dept. The goal is to make money by implementing the for-massive-profits system present in recent AAA (read in Jim Sterling’s voice) games.

Spectone

Doesn't mean they should make it worse by adding lock boxes. At least amiibo is a tangible object you can hold on your hands.

OP you are an evil person, yes a very bad person. Hopefully Nintendo never thinks loot boxes is a good idea for their major titles.

They are already kinda getting away with the same thing using Amiibo

ghibli99

Which can be used across multiple games, double as nice decorations, and can be sold -- many times at a profit -- and enjoyed/used by the next person. So anti-consumer.

KingBroly

Banned
500 Gold Coins or $1 for a Random Costume Piece or $2 for random Costume Set

Some Costumes can only be unlocked via Loot Box in a Complete Set with real money

If you buy a Loot Box with a Random Costume Piece or Set you've already bought, you get 20 Coins (that's 2 lives!) per piece you get a duplicate of.

You're insane. Most amiibos are usable over multiple games. Name me one DLC that does that. You also get a physical, official toy for a reasonable price. There IS an issue of stock, but other than that, Amiibos are amazing.

That said, weren't they planning to release like cards to do the same thing that amiibo do anyway?

what

If

I

Dont

Want

More

Plastic

Shit

But I just want the content?

Funny how amiibo defenders never address this, always defaulting to “but I wanted the toy anyway!” “Or it’s a cool toy for my shelf!”

Kindekuma

Banned
One a day amiibo usage for a rare outfit RNG drop. Super high rate of stamps for photo mode post cards otherwise.

Done and done.

Top Bottom