• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are invited to register for the MAG Beta

Tried it for the first time tonight and I really like it. Not even the best online gamer but I did quite well. The only thing I want is to be able to customize the controls myself. Not feeling having to switch to grenades, then press R1 to throw them. Unless I'm missing some other way of throwing grenades with one button?

I chose SVER. Not sure I understand how the whole matchmaking process works but I'll learn.

Sadly there are some serious missteps in the way the controls are setup for grenades. It is indeed very clumsy and everyone who I've shown the earlier beta to ran into problems with switching between items. Hopefully the tweak the f&$# out the interface options so come launch you CAN mix up the control scheme. As it stands, Bad Company 2 seems to be doing it right for FPS controls on a console.

NeoUltima

The one game I played tonight was horrible...The attacking team just sat behind in their spawn area(which we can't enter due to that red line) sniping and throwing grenades. When I played in the older beta version, games never played out like this so it was probably just a fluke game, or the map is garbage.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
yes, grenades are a huge control problem (L2 should toss right away). They need to map the secondary items (repair tool, medgun) to the d-pad.

sun-drop

i've been playing mag for ages now and only just reakised recently that the other people around you with there user names above their head are your squad mates, as apposed to the one who haven't ... lol. sigh.

great game tho i love it. day one

Better than I expected the game to be actually. Graphics aren't pretty but adequate I guess. Enjoyed it more than Battlefield.

Doubt it's something I'd buy though.

criesofthepast said:
Tried it for the first time tonight and I really like it. Not even the best online gamer but I did quite well. The only thing I want is to be able to customize the controls myself. Not feeling having to switch to grenades, then press R1 to throw them. Unless I'm missing some other way of throwing grenades with one button?

I chose SVER. Not sure I understand how the whole matchmaking process works but I'll learn.

Controls take some time to get used to, but they work great when you adapt.

The matchmaking process works quite simply. You select the game mode you like to play and the game puts you in line. If you, for example, select Domination, game waits until there are 2 teams with 128 players each and then launches the game.

JonStark said:
But The only game mode open is like 64 players... the others seems locked. How comes ?

This is a beta, they want to test every mode and since there is only a limited number of players, they lock out some modes to focus on one (for example, Sabotage like you said).

Violater

I hate the grenade throwing, there is no aim or control. You just seem to chuck it out there and hope.
It seems a lot of Socom players are in the beta and loving it, so that must be a good thing for Zipper. If I had to choose between this and BFBC2 it would prob be BF, but being released in Jan makes it a non issue.

I wish they could improve the lighting some more, the framerate seemed smooth untill grenades started being tossed.

SMG w/silencer corner huggers on defense I hate you.

I wish I could get a shooter made in collaboration by IW, Zipper and Dice.
All 3 games have some great ideas.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
BC2 > MAG. For the simple fact that I can have FUCKING CROUCH/PRONE ON R3 instead of melee. Seriously, Zipper: Who the fuck thinks having all the control schemes nearly being the same (except OH WAIT R3 IS AIMING DOWN SIGHTS) is a good thing?

The update system (if it's in the final) sucks shit.

The queue system sucks. I want to be put into a game instantly, but I have to wait? Seriously? Though, maybe this'll be fixed in the final.

This isn't a terribly good first impression, esp. coming from the fact I have nothing but hate for the Socom community (at least from the little I played of Confrontation).

If I have to choose between MAG and Bad Company 2: Bad Company 2 by far.

TheSeks said:
BC2 > MAG. For the simple fact that I can have FUCKING CROUCH/PRONE ON R3 instead of melee. Seriously, Zipper: Who the fuck thinks having all the control schemes nearly being the same (except OH WAIT R3 IS AIMING DOWN SIGHTS) is a good thing?

The queue system sucks. I want to be put into a game instantly, but I have to wait? Seriously? Though, maybe this'll be fixed in the final.

This isn't a terribly good first impression, esp. coming from the fact I have nothing but hate for the Socom community (at least from the little I played of Confrontation).

Sounds like you came in angry already, perhaps not best for impressions.

Got a key from the above link as well, just now at 1:00PM eastern. Seems like they either have a ton or they're unlimited. The Beta was supposed to end after ver4 but it's been extended. That, combined with the fact that they have seemingly unlimited codes now, makes me think that this ver4.5 is a stress test.

Cruzader

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Sounds like you came in angry already, perhaps not best for impressions.

Yea thats Sekoku for ya :p He is always in RAGE mode so its all good.

So I redeemed the newest beta code via the online account management site and the beta thing wont show on my History list via PS3. I was on the pre-Qore beta. So if I redownload that, can I successfully update to the latest patch and play?

TheSeks said:

The update system updates the clients / files. If they change thousands of files for each new revision of the beta/game(which they probably won't again after the final release), how else are you expecting to download them. Being ingame it actually allows to resume in contrast to XMB updates.
Only because BF beta has only one (smallish) map and hasn't received any patches yet, it's not automatically a better system, just a smaller download.

imo, the queue system is AWESOME actually. Up to 128 vs. 128 matches are generated quite fast/efficient which is nothing you would expect to be easy in contrast to the (relative) VERY small playerbase BF matches.
It launches you into the lobby once 80% of the game is filled with players, before that you can navigate all the menus/change settings etc.

Also, there IS instant joining into a running game (I guess it chooses this option if too much players left this game or it can't create a new game fast enough).

btw didn't some people complain in the BC2 beta thread about not being able to change crouching (oh and can you prone in BC2? I wasn't able to do it I think) to another button instead of R3? :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lagspike_exe said:
Controls take some time to get used to, but they work great when you adapt.

And they can't be that much different without limiting what a soldier can carry. I read about grenades but it's not just grenades you can assign to that slot. You can have, say, a med kit and a repair kit or a smoke and a frag so having a button that automatically tosses a grenade doesn't cut. You need to switch between 4 different gear (2 weapons and 2 "gadgets") so this is the only set up that works. You switch weapons via R2 and gadgets via L2.

JWong

Banned
I really didn't like the crouch button on R3. The right stick is meant for aiming, so it makes sense that it would change aiming. Also, R3 isn't something that should be pressed a lot. Crouching happens a lot more than aiming down the sight, for these games anyways. Sight aiming isn't too crucial as it is in MW2.

Another thing about BC2 that I didn't like was the level design. I really hated the fact that I was getting sniped from someone in an unknown location behind the spawn point in the mountains. There is also not enough cover with very few broken down buildings. MAG level design is way better with a lot of objectives to spread out the action.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JWong said:
I really didn't like the crouch button on R3. The right stick is meant for aiming, so it makes sense that it would change aiming. Also, R3 isn't something that should be pressed a lot. Crouching happens a lot more than aiming down the sight, for these games anyways. Sight aiming isn't too crucial as it is in MW2.

Another thing about BC2 that I didn't like was the level design. I really hated the fact that I was getting sniped from someone in an unknown location behind the spawn point in the mountains. There is also not enough cover with very few broken down buildings. MAG level design is way better with a lot of objectives to spread out the action.

How is moving the thumb away from the right stick to crouch better? I mean, I'm shooting a moving target, I need more accuracy, I crouch by pressing the very stick I'm using to follow the target. I'd lose it if I had to press Triangle or whatever.

The good thing MAG does is preserving your original stance after sprinting. In most games you need to get back to crouch position after sprinting. Which is somewhat annoying. Less so if you have it on R3 tho.

J-Rzez

TheSeks said:

Controls are your own opinion, I think they're fine.

The queue system has it's purpose, especially due to the large amount of players needed per game. While you do sometimes get inserted instantly into a battle, it has another reason. Who wants to get put into a map where the battle is half over, especially if you're on the losing team? I enjoy getting in fresh games. With the final release version, with larger pools of players, games will probably fire up even faster.

If you hate the SOCOM community, you must not even venture into other games. The SOCOM community is one of the most sound out there. Well, unless you mean you hate teamwork, because that community is known for that, along with being welcome to newer players.

MAG >>>> BC2 to me. I'm becoming very intolerant of the clunky gameplay in BC2. Thus BC2 will be a nice break here and there.

Grenades are done the way they are for a reason, it's not meant to be as arcade like as other games. This is something carried over from the SOCOM series. The gameplay in MAG is a healthy mix of SOCOM and CS, which to me is a perfect balance. It will be my go-to shooter, can't wait.

panda21

unless they have completely lost their minds there is no way that stupid update scheme will be in the final game. getting annoyed by that for a beta is a bit silly. don't play betas if that sort of thing makes you angry

presumably its because they are still working on the assets (sound, textures etc) so they really do have to send the whole thing rather than just patches to the code.

i never had any problems with the queue system. what online game does instantly put you into a game?! some people were reporting something crazy like 30 minute waits but i think its just a bug because i never waited more than a minute.

i dont know about bc2 but bc1 was fundamentally broken in a lot of ways in the multiplayer. even if they fixed all of that then the maps are just too big for the kind of game it is anyway, and some of the bc design is pretty horrid (helicopter/tank = instant win in any encounter, huge open maps with nothing happening in 90% of it, running for 5 minutes just to see a tank come over a hill and blow you away..)

Greg

TTP said:
How is moving the thumb away from the right stick to crouch better? I mean, I'm shooting a moving target, I need more accuracy, I crouch by pressing the very stick I'm using to follow the target. I'd lose it if I had to press Triangle or whatever.

The good thing MAG does is preserving your original stance after sprinting. In most games you need to get back to crouch position after sprinting. Which is somewhat annoying. Less so if you have it on R3 tho.
I'm positive I'm in the minority on this one, but I slide my index finger from R1 to the face buttons, and move my middle finger to R1 - the thumbs never leave the sticks when I play games like this.

That's how I've always done it in SOCOM and it works wonders.

I just hate clicking the sticks it... it never feels good for the controller for some reason.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Controls still suck. I wish there was an R3 crouch/prone. Seriously.

Queue I've grown to accept, but think it still sucks. Sitting here for five minutes with full SVER but barely any of the other teams. There needs to be a three-way option for games to start instantly.

Otherwise the combat has started to grow on me a little. But I think BC2 blows most other shooters out of the water just from the beta alone.

Chris R

What is the point in having a small ass download in the front and a huge ass patch behind? I can't download this in the background, my PS3 won't automatically shut down after the patch is finished, ect.

Seriously, someone needs to rethink this :lol

1% of the 1800mb patch down so far

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I got bored of Sabotage, so I started playing BFBC2 with a few friends. MAG is definitely better than BFBC2. Just get rid of Sab, and put something like assassination from KZ2! :D

TheFatOne

Man if you have to wait five minutes every time you want to play this game then MAG will bomb. Seriously they need to find a way to get you into games faster.

bdouble

Dani said:
The weapons have no weight to them... maybe it's my lack of Dualshock.
eh I'm usually a big proponent of this and I think its right up there with CoDMW2. Its not Killzone but feels fine to me.

patsu

TheFatOne said:
Man if you have to wait five minutes every time you want to play this game then MAG will bomb. Seriously they need to find a way to get you into games faster.

I am a little concerned with the waiting time too. So far it works ok for me only because I'm working and playing at the same time. So the long wait allows me to get something done.

For rollout, I hope they have a way to get people into games quickly.

So far, the game has been pleasant... will see how it goes.

CoLaN

Wow, just tried the game and i'm pleased

I really prefer Mag over bad company 2 as far as i've seen (i'm going with the pc version of that anyway)

I love the controls scheme too

methane47

Played the game a bit last night.. lvled to 5.... and... game is cool but wtf is up with the music?

The music in the game plays at crappy times... and it is SO loud it drowns out all the other sounds in the game... So i pretty much have to wait until the music is done so that I can hear my squadmates again...

The music is just out of place... I hope that isn't in the full game... I dont need to hear a 3:30 minute song every time i get a kill streak... Please stop this zipper.

tokewitch

methane47 said:
Played the game a bit last night.. lvled to 5.... and... game is cool but wtf is up with the music?

The music in the game plays at crappy times... and it is SO loud it drowns out all the other sounds in the game... So i pretty much have to wait until the music is done so that I can hear my squadmates again...

The music is just out of place... I hope that isn't in the full game... I dont need to hear a 3:30 minute song every time i get a kill streak... Please stop this zipper.

Lower the music volume from settings if it bothers you.

Greg

Put around 10+ hours in and I'm at level 20... I'm not sure if Raven's locations to attack/defend are terrible or just everyone that plays as Raven is terrible, but I win about 1 out of every 8 games right now which is awful.

The point I'm at now I've completely lost interest in personal gains (leveling up, experience), and I just want to win as a team. I enjoy games where a good team can enhance the experience and give you the edge, but there's absolutely nothing I can do personally to help a team of 127 idiots win.

Seems like the game would really be great with a coordinated effort from a clan, but I don't see much reason to stick with the game beyond the first 10 or so hours if you're playing alone.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm getting that vibe also. It's just not fun alone, and a) not everyone has a mic and b) half of those that do have shitty mics or their cat singing, so teamwork is hampered

Also running for 10-60 seconds and then dying and waiting 10-30 seconds (woo blockade!) to respawn and repeating is not fun. If you go off on your own to try to flank, you're isolated from revival, and while you might kill a few before you're noticed, a fresh spawn will soon clear you out. The other option being zerging into the meat grinder, or mindlessly repairing objects (seriously, the whole repair mechanic is just boring, staring at a meter is not fun).

Also the instant-snap-on ironsights weirds me out. It's literally a two frame animation. Sights off. Sights on!

Greg said:
Put around 10+ hours in and I'm at level 20... I'm not sure if Raven's locations to attack/defend are terrible or just everyone that plays as Raven is terrible, but I win about 1 out of every 8 games right now which is awful.

The point I'm at now I've completely lost interest in personal gains (leveling up, experience), and I just want to win as a team. I enjoy games where a good team can enhance the experience and give you the edge, but there's absolutely nothing I can do personally to help a team of 127 idiots win.

Seems like the game would really be great with a coordinated effort from a clan, but I don't see much reason to stick with the game beyond the first 10 or so hours if you're playing alone.
I think the real problem is poor leader ship by those who have ranked up :p
Actually, I don't know why Raven loses every game; our squad always does reasonably well and we all end up with positive KD so who knows. I think part of the issue is acting together. Especially when we are attacking, all of the enemies are in one spot shooting together. However, the Raver people keep attacking as soon as they hit the ground, spread out and alone.

Greg

BobTheFork said:
I think the real problem is poor leader ship by those who have ranked up :p
Actually, I don't know why Raven loses every game; our squad always does reasonably well and we all end up with positive KD so who knows. I think part of the issue is acting together. Especially when we are attacking, all of the enemies are in one spot shooting together. However, the Raver people keep attacking as soon as they hit the ground, spread out and alone.
I just played 2 games in a row where we failed to capture the initial 2 towers... it was seriously 30 minutes of teammates running into a wall of fire, and I couldn't even call in air strikes because no one would help take out the AA.

Zoomed out on the map and not one of our 16 squads had captured a single tower (the first objective) on the map.

EDIT: I'm not saying the game is bad for it, because I was pretty damn surprised how fun it was, but I enjoy games where a personal performance can really effect the game.

Greg said:
I just played 2 games in a row where we failed to capture the initial 2 towers... it was seriously 30 minutes of teammates running into a wall of fire, and I couldn't even call in air strikes because no one would help take out the AA.

Zoomed out on the map and not one of our 16 squads had captured a single tower (the first objective) on the map.

EDIT: I'm not saying the game is bad for it, because I was pretty damn surprised how fun it was, but I enjoy games where a personal performance can really effect the game.
I agree, that's one of the main reason I prefer death match to team base competitive games. When the beta started I had a character in sver and we won all the time. It really changes the perspective on the game too. It's really horrible to have a poor team and just get you head kicked in for 30 minutes as a result.

fernoca

So tried the beta a few days ago..and..it shows promise. Some visuals problems I expect will be fixed in the final version (like the pixelated explosions)..and things like how if a friend creates an "army character" he can't play along with me (an "hispanic like-thug"); which forces to create characters from the same class to play on the same team.

But I really like the scope and the size of everything..so yeah, I'm in..next year. :)

Ihya

This game feels like it is hopelessly generic. Nothing stands out for me as marking it as special. The maps are big which accentuates sniping which I hate. There seems to be no cohesive teamplay. What am I missing?

leroidys

Ihya said:
This game feels like it is hopelessly generic. Nothing stands out for me as marking it as special. The maps are big which accentuates sniping which I hate. There seems to be no cohesive teamplay. What am I missing?

I would like to know this as well. So far, I'm completely underwhelmed by the beta. The huge amounts of players isn't used in a way to actually make the game feel any different, because every respawns in seconds anyway.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Ihya said:
Not many people snipe in MAG, and those who do never make good enough xp. The game actually encourages you to do objectives because you get double xp for everything you do near the objectives. Not many people know that at first, but after a while they realise that if they want to win and rank up quickly they have to do objectives and work as a team..

BobTheFork said:
I agree, that's one of the main reason I prefer death match to team base competitive games. When the beta started I had a character in sver and we won all the time. It really changes the perspective on the game too. It's really horrible to have a poor team and just get you head kicked in for 30 minutes as a result.
SVER win 99.9% of the time because they have the most unbalanced maps ever (in every mode!). I love the gameplay and everything else, but I don't think I'm getting the game now, not unless they don't change SVER's fucking map(s). I refuse to switch to SVER.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So i played two rounds yesterday.... yeah most noobie unfriendly game ever.
The HUD is cluttered with all kind of markers and what not.
I dont think this game is for me, its a hardcore game made for hardcore players.

Top Bottom