• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are invited to register for the MAG Beta

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Fersis said:
So i played two rounds yesterday.... yeah most noobie unfriendly game ever.
The HUD is cluttered with all kind of markers and what not.
I dont think this game is for me, its a hardcore game made for hardcore players.
I wouldn't call it hardcore. I've barely played any FPS's but I do great in MAG. It's just that the learning curve is a bit steep, the tutorial mode should fix that. I think they should unlock the tutorial mode for current beta players.

HUD? You mean the mini map?

Had the misfortune of trying this out last night, friend had some extra codes. Utterly fucking awful. The control system is some kind of nightmare created by someone that either hasn't played many console FPS at all or erroneously thought they could do better.

Perhaps in the final there will be an even number of clans or something, but having 3 clans and then match-up 2 by who gets the most players first leaving the other group to repeat the process is...its outrageously stupid.

Nothing stood out to me when playing, not size, not anything interesting about vehicles or combat. Environments are just dull. Nothing breakable I assume? This game is a stinker, pure and simple. Made me fire up some Killzone 2 to cleanse my mind of it. Sony must know this is a stinker as well, giving Battlefield such a push recently. Would like to try the Battlefield beta to compare, but looks like I missed out on that one.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Inanna Dan said:
I wouldn't call it hardcore. I've barely played any FPS's but I do great in MAG. It's just that the learning curve is a bit steep, the tutorial mode should fix that. I think they should unlock the tutorial mode for current beta players.

HUD? You mean the mini map?
I mean like the entire screen full of stuff! :lol
Maybe if i play some more.

dralla

whatever is flashing white is your objective. just follow that. the AA gun is the most important support objective, never lose it if you're defending. domination really isn't that great, I think the game is at its best during Aquisition

Downloaded it while I was playing Assassin's Creed II last night and played my first game right before bed. Had a lot more fun than I thought I would. I can see some potential in it. I'll play a few more games that's for sure. Didn't take me that long to get into a game either.

bdouble

Fersis said:
I dont think this game is for me, its a hardcore game made for hardcore players.
I have played a few games and I don't think it wa unfriendly. I felt like I was helping my team. Way fun to call out locations o the enemy and such. One thing is the battles did seem large which is pretty unique.

As Goethe hid though yea I agree. Way too manyarkers and such. I can never tell who is in my squa an I coulndt car less who is a medic till I'm dead. It seemed busy and I hope they can tweak it abut. I do like the bullet awareness indicator though.

bdouble said:
As Goethe hid though yea I agree. Way too manyarkers and such. I can never tell who is in my squa an I coulndt car less who is a medic till I'm dead. It seemed busy and I hope they can tweak it abut. I do like the bullet awareness indicator though.

After some matches you will get some sort of Matrix view and you can see through all of the icons :lol (seriously ^^ in my first matches I didn't know what was going on at all)
You can recognize squad members quite simple as their names have a light blue colour and are always on the hud.

Beardz

At first hardly anybody was a medic, now, almost everybody is, and I love it. I just need a button to say "Thanks for the revive!" Do it Zipper! :lol

Inanna Dan said:
SVER win 99.9% of the time because they have the most unbalanced maps ever (in every mode!). I love the gameplay and everything else, but I don't think I'm getting the game now, not unless they don't change SVER's fucking map(s). I refuse to switch to SVER.

It's called "beta" for a reason. The amount of changes from when it started to the point we're at now is quite staggering. I'm 99% confident that they'll fix it until it hits retail.

Fersis said:

Even though I'm quite experienced in FPS games and watched a lot of MAG footage before actually playing it, I did have some problems getting used to the HUD. It took 2-3 rounds to finally start understanding everything. Everything is, actually, quite easy to understand. Even the leadership isn't as complicated as you may think.

Greg

Yeah, the game isn't complicated... a bit overwhelming the first few rounds, but everything in place is both useful and necessary considering the scale.

However, the scale of the game still seems unnecessary considering how much better the game would run (technically) without it. It seems like the only time the 'feeling part of a larger battle' takes part is if you're a leader of some kind.

KZObsessed

New cover?

6072223x.jpg

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lagspike_exe said:
It's called "beta" for a reason. The amount of changes from when it started to the point we're at now is quite staggering. I'm 99% confident that they'll fix it until it hits retail.
I hope you're right. But I don't think they'd change the map drastically. I'm fine with Raven and Valor because both of them have plenty of weak points, but SVER's just ridiculous.

FFObsessed said:
New cover?

6072223x.jpg
Ugliest cover ever!

Beardz said:
At first hardly anybody was a medic, now, almost everybody is, and I love it. I just need a button to say "Thanks for the revive!" Do it Zipper! :lol
Your character say something like "Thanks doc" or "you're the best!" also "thank god for meds!" etc after being revived. :lol

andycapps

Edit: wait, how much can we talk about publicly? Is this considered a public beta where you can discuss everything openly or are we only able to talk about the beta in private forums. Yeah, I know, should have read the 10 pages of the agreement I agreed to when I downloaded it, but I didn't. :lol

So yeah, I've played about an hour now.
While I do appreciate the MMO approach and LV. system, the actual core shooting is just so damn unsatisfying. I don't know if this is something they could tweak before january whether it be by smooting/adding animations or what, but yeah it's pretty weak as of right now

lol, am I allowed to say that?

JardeL

Inanna Dan said:
I hope you're right. But I don't think they'd change the map drastically. I'm fine with Raven and Valor because both of them have plenty of weak points, but SVER's just ridiculous.
Yeah , there is no way to get past those bunkers. They keep fixing the turret continuously and if you wanna kill that engineer you need to get close , aim well and throw a grenade. If you're lucky enough he's gonna die and you'll get a chance to get close. Then you need to plant bomb and blow up the bunker but defending team has another advantage ; respawn time. If a member of attacking team dies , he needs to run for 10-15 secs to arrive bunker again but defending team can respawn in even 2-3 secs. That's BS. So you're gonna die most of the time while planting the bomb.

Some of those bunkers are placed ridiculously. One of the attacker spawn point is in range of bunker's turret and if SVER soldier aims good enough, you'll die immediately after respawn.

MAG = SVER wins the battle , currently.

By the way , is there a GAF clan ?

Edit : Oh , and giving orders to your squad as a squad leader is AWESOME!!!

Arol

Any other ways to get a beta key for this?

I have to wait on that website 48 hours because my account is new. Probably none left either way. Oh well.

PacoDG

Arol said:
Any other ways to get a beta key for this?

I have to wait on that website 48 hours because my account is new. Probably none left either way. Oh well.

Edited my post: I have a crapload of MAG codes, my site is giving them away through the evil devil known as Twitter. So if you are on Twitter, I will personally be checking my site's Twitter account and make sure codes go out today.

Tweet this message and you should be set: Give me a MAG (Massive Action Game) beta code on PS3 @Binge_Gamer !!! - (Follow @Binge_Gamer and retweet this = get a code)

I have no idea what the people are talking about when it comes to controls they are tight and responsive. I agree that Sver has unbalanced maps in their favor and they won't change, it's 2 months from release. This game is awesome though, I love it.

Jubs

I thought the game was complete crap when I first played it. Didn't like the levels, didn't enjoy the feel of the game, thought the gunplay was all wonky and shit. But since my brother borrowed my Uncharted 2, I decided to give MAG more time to see if I could move past my first impressions of the game.

After playing through a healthy amount of games, I can honestly say I'm starting to enjoy it. Really enjoy it, in fact. When you start to understand what the game wants you to do, it really opens up for you. For instance, when I first started playing, I was treating it like your typical fps multiplayer game. I kept wandering away from my squad, lone-wolfing it and looking to just rack up kills. But I could never kill anyone that way because everyone I encountered was always in a group, or accompanied by one or two other people. I rarely found anyone on their own, like myself. When I started to travel with my squad, my kill count really started to go up, not to mention it started to dwarf the number of deaths I kept accumulating. I went from 1:2 or 1:3 k/d ratios to 2:1 k/d ratios just by sticking together with my squad.

Also, I never did any of the objectives, which probably led me to lone-wolf it on these big maps, since I didn't understand what I was supposed to do. But once you start to understand the big picture and realize what the game is truly about, something just clicks and your like, "ohhhh, I get it now!"

Not using your iron-sights when the enemy is close to you also helped to increase my survivability and up my kill count. Shooting from the hip is far more preferable during close encounters, and it feels good too. It's not Killzone 2 shooting from the hip good, but it's good enough.

So, after spending some time with it, this game went from a "who cares?" to a "I really might buy this game now," which is remarkable because I was lukewarm to this game from the word "go." Nice job Zipper, the beta alone may net you at least one new customer.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
AgentOtaku said:
So yeah, I've played about an hour now.
While I do appreciate the MMO approach and LV. system, the actual core shooting is just so damn unsatisfying. I don't know if this is something they could tweak before january whether it be by smooting/adding animations or what, but yeah it's pretty weak as of right now

lol, am I allowed to say that?
Maybe they should cater just for players like you and make the controls so that pressing right analogue stick forward makes you shoot while doing some sort of tribal dance. Tie the controller to your testicles and swing them around and via the magic of sixaxis your character turns around.

Now thems interesting controls.

[/Dan]

J-Rzez

TheExecutive said:
I have no idea what the people are talking about when it comes to controls they are tight and responsive. I agree that Sver has unbalanced maps in their favor and they won't change, it's 2 months from release. This game is awesome though, I love it.

The controls and gameplay is the tightest in the business of shooters on consoles. A very-very proper balance.

ibu

sazabirules said:
Queuing takes forever in this game. I haven't played a single match yet. Why are all 3 sides queuing for one match?

I only just installed this eve and managed to get into a good 7/8 matches. I dont know why you are being kept waiting so long. Whenever I have queued it has taken no more than two minutes.

gotee12

sazabirules said:
Queuing takes forever in this game. I haven't played a single match yet. Why are all 3 sides queuing for one match?

I've only successfully gotten into a game once. I keep waiting for the queue to fill up and a the last second the game ditches me to another lobby where I'm the only person in queue. I'm not accidentally leaving the queue, heck the controller isn't even in my hands when it happens. I just keep getting ditched before the game starts. This has happened about 4 or 5 times to me. I know it's a beta, but still...

It was kinda fun the one time I did get into it. it took a while to really get what was going on. My squad leader wasn't very vocal. There was about 4 of us that kept running in the same circle due to the squad leaders silence. We couldn't figure out where he really wanted us (though that is not the game's fault).

EXGN

TheExecutive said:

Yea, I think they are very responsive, but my issue with the controls is just how they feel. I'm playing Raven, and I've got the first 2 machine guns and the sniper rifle, and they all just feel like I'm shooting airsoft guns. They don't have that empowering feel the the weapons in Killzone 2 do. My only other gripe with controls are cycling through the grenades/secondary items, but I'm not sure how else they could work that out.

And yeah, the SVER maps suck ass. It's like impossible to capture A in the sabotage map, I've only actually beaten that mission once, and it takes a hell of a lot of coordination. We pretty much bum rushed A with all 4 squads, and then while 2 squads defended it, the other two took B.

sun-drop

gotee12 said:
I've only successfully gotten into a game once. I keep waiting for the queue to fill up and a the last second the game ditches me to another lobby where I'm the only person in queue. I'm not accidentally leaving the queue, heck the controller isn't even in my hands when it happens. I just keep getting ditched before the game starts. This has happened about 4 or 5 times to me. I know it's a beta, but still...

It was kinda fun the one time I did get into it. it took a while to really get what was going on. My squad leader wasn't very vocal. There was about 4 of us that kept running in the same circle due to the squad leaders silence. We couldn't figure out where he really wanted us (though that is not the game's fault).

look to the left of the screen ..those bars that fill up is the queue, it has to reach that faded part to lauch a game with enough players. so i guess if you joind a queue and it's really low.. go play sabotauge or something which is only a 64 ply mode ..hence less time to wait for the queu to reach tipping point.

gotee12

sun-drop said:
look to the left of the screen ..those bars that fill up is the queue, it has to reach that faded part to lauch a game with enough players. so i guess if you joind a queue and it's really low.. go play sabotauge or something which is only a 64 ply mode ..hence less time to wait for the queu to reach tipping point.

Yep. I watch those bars while I'm in queue and eventually they do fill up. And when they do, the game starts (I assume) and I get bumped into a brand new queue in which I am the only participant. I'm not upset about it or anything. It's a free beta. I haven't lost a thing. It'd just be nice if I got to play it a little more before it gets lost in the mix.

With Black Friday's purchases of Dragon Age: Origins and Forza 3 hitting my mailbox in the next day or two, MAG probably won't be high on the list

ok so just got done playing all day on the side of S.V.E.R. SO fricking awesome. Everyone is a medic and they actually communicate. We just got 4 domination matches in a row. I have noticed that no one talks on valor, or hardly ever talks. The squad leaders seem to know what they are doing on the side of SVER too. When this game is on, no other FPS on consoles even comes close to it. It has the tightest controls on consoles, it reminds me of an old PC game. SO unbelievably awesome. I will be playing this game for a long time to come.

theBishop

Banned
I think the thing that I like about MAG is how you can play across the battlefield. Like if you're a medic, there's enough people to heal to keep you busy serving a valuable function. You're not the one pushing the team forward, but you're keeping the squad alive so they can. I imagine this will apply to the detection skills and other support roles later.

theBishop said:
I think the thing that I like about MAG is how you can play across the battlefield. Like if you're a medic, there's enough people to heal to keep you busy serving a valuable function. You're not the one pushing the team forward, but you're keeping the squad alive so they can. I imagine this will apply to the detection skills and other support roles later.

The best thing about this game, besides the controls, is the fact that the battle is ssssoooo fluid and the maps are so huge. No one battle is the same and it really makes the game feel fresh every time you step on the battlefield

theBishop said:

DP

tokewitch

TheExecutive said:
ok so just got done playing all day on the side of S.V.E.R. SO fricking awesome. Everyone is a medic and they actually communicate. We just got 4 domination matches in a row. I have noticed that no one talks on valor, or hardly ever talks. The squad leaders seem to know what they are doing on the side of SVER too. When this game is on, no other FPS on consoles even comes close to it. It has the tightest controls on consoles, it reminds me of an old PC game. SO unbelievably awesome. I will be playing this game for a long time to come.

I have noticed that people at Raven do not communicate so much in the latest beta phase. The teamwork was better in ealier phases. Also last games I played the Sver dominated us big time. It seems people at Sver play more as a team.

theBishop

Banned
Is there any indication how big the retail game will be compared to the beta? When you get right down to it, there aren't that many environments here.

theBishop said:
Is there any indication how big the retail game will be compared to the beta? When you get right down to it, there aren't that many environments here.

I think there are 10 maps? Dunno though. I would argue though that those 10 maps are worth more than say....16 maps in different games because the size of these maps. depending on what platoon you get placed in your environment can be very different.

GodofWine

Guns need more "Gun-ni-ness" , more "POW", more "BOOM", more "UMPH".

Graphics probably could use a touch of polish (if thats even possible now?), but shooting needs to atleast be kinda exciting.

Can't comment on much more, as I've not been able to get into a game in under 5 minutes recently...the HUD is busy, but its not in anyway overly complex, once you realize what you are doing, you know where to look.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
AAK said:
Would you prefer this?

137575e.jpg
An improvement, still not the best.

I give up. I don't think I'm going to get this game now. SVER are the most obnoxious players on this planet! One of the reasons why I changed to Raven, aside from them being cocky bastards. Most of them are just so fucking rude, probably because I'm a girl, and attract assholes because of that. People on Raven don't give a shit about my gender, SVER on the other hand, either get too excited or dismiss everything I say. Once they even voted to kick me off the squad because I was the squad leader. The vote started right after the game started, within 3 seconds of us spawning! That's classic! I'd understand if I was being a bad squad leader but how'd they know? Most of the time I had to YELL at people to revive me. SVER players were so much better during phase 2, same for Valor and Raven (even though they're a lot better than SVER, except for most Japanese people in Raven that just don't talk or only talk amongst themselves). The new beta players are just annoying as hell.

And then there maps are just a headache. Especially the ones on Sab and Dom. I just can't see this game doing well if they don't do anything about the balance issue. It's hard it is to win against them while attacking. I see so many people jumping ships to SVER because of the unfair advantage SVER has on other factions because of the maps. Hell, just look at this topic, people are already jumping ships to SVER! Most unbalanced shit I've ever seen. Worst maps in the history of maps!!!!!!! Just look at the score bar thing. SVER fills it up while Raven and Valor sit right at the bottom. That's just wrong. I remember when Raven was dominating during phase 2 and 3, SVER and Valor. Each factions were neck to neck with each other looking at the score bars, now it's just ridiculous. I always play with friends, we have mics, we work as a team, revive, try and do objectives etc but still we lose a lot more than we win when attacking SVER. Defending raven is no problem, I like the fact that Raven maps are hard, it encourages teamwork. SVER, however, doesn't even have to rely on teamwork like Raven/valor have to to win when attacking SVER. This is unfair.

But nothing can be done now, so it'd be best if I just move on. So many people got turned off because of this balance issue. It is definitely going to hurt the game.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
GodofWine said:
fixed ;)

I need to get into this beta more...smoke out some Sver a-holes
Beta AND the game. I am 101% sure that they are not going to touch the SVER map, in fact it's more likely that they'd make it more defender friendly, I wouldn't put it past Zipper. They have become my least favourite devs this gen.

Just a weak ago I was playing Sab and there was this guy with psn ID m4dDmUdD, who was doing nothing but team killing everyone. And kept on shouting "SVER FO LIFE". He was in our squad but after a while to avoid getting kicked, he started spawning at the other platoons spawn point and started team killing both squads like crazy. That wasn't the only time. Encountered 3 team killers that switched from SVER. If this is how the players are going to be like then I don't know if I want to continue playing anymore.

Just makes you realise how mature and amazing KZ2 community is. U2 is filled with assholes too.

Top Bottom