• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can finish Cyberpunk 2077 without killing anyone

Mista

Banned
RGdaeEeMxZSH5YKuewL9qT-650-80.jpg

Speaking to PC Gamer, lead quest designer Pawel Sasko said:
"Right now, every weapon and every cyberware has a nonlethal option,"
"I think I can say everything. There's one thing: only weapons that are lethal by definition, so let's say you shoot someone with a bazooka in his face. You shoot his head off. That's typically lethal."
"But everything else actually has a nonlethal option. Pretty much every gun, pretty much every cyberware, you're able to use in a nonlethal way. You're able to knock them down, choke them, make them sleep and so on. There are ways not to kill them and spare them, like the way you could do with Sasquatch, the boss."

J-Roderton

That's pretty cool. Guessing that may affect some parts of story or how events pan out?

Last edited:

Se_7_eN

Isn't this new?

I thought Kyle said that it wasn't possible to complete the game without killing SOME people in the game at the first demo reveal.

Last edited:
That is a neat option and this makes me more excited for the game as player options/branching choices seems to be in a decline recently.

Ivory Blood

Isn't this new?

I thought Kyle said that it wasn't possible to complete the game without killing SOME people in the game at the first demo reveal.
In yesterdays IGN coverage they had it as one of their first bullet points.

I won't use it myself. I always go for the lethal route, if possible. But it's cool to know that they give a lot of options regarding the playstyles.

Last edited:

Se_7_eN

In yesterdays IGN coverage they had it as one of their first bullet points.

I won't use it myself. I always go for the lethal route, if possible. But it's cool to know that they give a lot of options regarding the playstyles.

Interesting... I will probably use it on some bosses, since it unlocks different missions and dialogue options in the future.

Ivory Blood

Awesome. They seem to be taking player choice and branching paths seriously, immersive sim style.
The coolest thing in the rpg systems department is that they have different skills for different weapons.

I feel like It's very rare nowadays to see assault rifles, pistols and snipers not being lumped into one obscure "ballistic" category.

Birdo

Banned
That's cool. I remember doing a run in Metal Gear Solid 4 without killing anyone but the bosses.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The coolest thing in the rpg systems department is that they have different skills for different weapons.

I feel like It's very rare nowadays to see assault rifles, pistols and snipers not being lumped into one obscure "ballistic" category.

Yeah, Ubisoft-style game design can leave a lot to be desired.

Mista

Banned
Nah, this setting needs chaos and wrecking havoc. Not going MGS in a cyberpunk game thanks! It's good to know though that they're listening to the players. It shows how much they care actually and among the least of developers that actually listens

So basically you can tranq or choke your your way through the game like MGS. That's cool but I'd be more interested in scenarios I can dialogue my way through or hidden bypass routes and such(The latter of which the article does sorta mention with the hacking aspects). =P

Last edited:
It's always cool when games offer these type of routes, though I never find myself actually sticking to this throughout a whole playthrough.

Sooner or later I always gotta Pew Pew.

Bryank75

Banned
Not my style, can I finish the game by killing everyone?
*I call it 'literal nazi style'

Cruising around Ted Bundy style...

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

An FPS RPG like with quest marks or whatever. Oh, it's from CD Project Red. Special.
It's not just that. It's the whole promise of a game in a cyberpunk genre on a never before done scale. And yes, the developer being CDPR after their work on Witcher is actually a very important detail. I'll just quote myself from the other thread.

You know, from back in the day, when I first watched Ghost in the Shell as a kid, I wanted to play a cyberpunk game where I can recreate Kusanagi as my main character and go on some crazy adventures with deep philosophical introspective and equal amounts of kicking ass.

There were tons of games since then - licensed PS2 GitS titles, Deus Ex, Ruiner, Syndicate, Dex, new Shadowruns. But none really came close to fulfilling that dream. Until CDPR announced Cyberpunk.

That we are getting the game from the creators of the Witcher and they promise us it will be bigger, better and stronger that what they produced before... well, let me just say that sometimes dreams come true.

Meowzers

Now if some enemies decided to use non-lethal force then that would be borderline insanity.

But..these bitches gettin struck DOWN. I ain't tryna be Batman up in this muhfucka.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I love this kind of info. I'm definitely going to try and be a hypothetical "me" in Cyberpunk2077. I always try to really immerse myself in these kind of game where the actions I choose isn't based on some arbitrary goal of not killing anyone, but rather the loftier goal trying to act as I would if I was placed in these scenarios.

I know some of it I probably couldn't even fathom because it's so over the top, but referencing my feelings about similar present day pre-cursors to the events in 2077 really engages me a player.

It actually allows me to reflect on myself a bit and sometimes even reveal flaws in my character IRL. Like could this game threaten my girlfriend, and my sister, making me choose who to save? I mean this is a very shallow example, but I'm sorry, it would suck but my girl friend is probably going to die in that scenario. It suuuucksss, but does it really?

Man i can't fuckin wait to play this. *Air humps on each syllable*.

Last edited:
Top Bottom