• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can get unlimited Shadow of War loot boxes on PC with cheats

That's not fair for console owner ;)

I hope this cheap will be known by a lot of pc gamer.

Anyone who bought digital for Xbox one could use their save. Add the silver coins then go back to Xbox one. You open enough boxes, you are going to get something amazing eventually to load out your fortress.

So are crates in CS:GO not considered Loot boxes? Because the market for them is HUUUGE, and potentially negates that statement.

Well, it isn't the fact that they can't be resold. The reason it isn't gambling is more to do with the thought process of buying collectable cards (Pokemon, Magic, Baseball). You get something no matter what. It just might not be what you want.

Caffeine

Good old piracy.

I understood that reference

ManstandingupwithhatNeoGAF.gif

Remember when cheats, trainers and other PC mods were piracy?

I guess you could now turn this argument on the heads of those saying loot boxes have no cash value/nor do the goods inside.

Now it's time for someone with an unhealthy interest in stats to cheat and open 5,000 boxes and spreadsheet drop rates. Of course, drop rates can be edited server side for many of these games which is why I and others want transparency so that anyone going to spend money knows what their chances are. The gold boxes or whatever they are called are the real interest here anyway (isn't that the ones you buy actual currency for?).

Most of these games are going to go always online, to try and stop things like this (they'll ban your account for cheating, even if its SP) and server-side drop rates need games phoning home as it is.

Audioboxer

It's funny seeing trainer and cheat websites now asking people to pay for cheats... But then again, that's essentially what developers and publishers do at much higher price points xD (prices below are hilarious, but if you ever wanted enough currency in some of these games to unlock everything quick you'd be paying $100's to some of these pubs/devs, per game).

6be28HY.png

I'm going to assume there are now pirated cheat programs out there lmao.

It's funny seeing trainer and cheat websites now asking people to pay for cheats... But then again, that's essentially what developers and publishers do at much higher price points xD

6be28HY.png

You can do it for free with cheat engine. Here are some free ones:

http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5120&sid=4e4dfc02b34a8cef3aba80e28eea22ce

http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5118

Audioboxer

Wait so loot boxes are not handled serverside?

lmao this is rich

Free loot boxes do not look to be. Unsure about the gold ones. Why wouldn't they have focussed their cheats on the gold boxes if they could? I'm going to assume they are server side transactions/unlocks which would need an online connection and will have it in their TOS your account can be banned for cheating.

Any sensible dev makes their premium boxes all server side so no data collection can be made from local files to unearth drop rates.

*faith restored in the cheating community* :p

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Good. Now find a workaround for the Gold chests too to give these greedy publisher fucks the middle finger truly.

Audioboxer

Good. Now find a workaround for the Gold chests too to give these greedy publisher fucks the middle finger truly.

Probably won't happen. From what I've read you need to accept an online TOS to have the gold chests enabled in the game. I assume it's then mostly server-side work being done.

I mean, someone with the game on a console can check if you can open a gold chest when the console isn't online?

rrs

reminds me of when I got a shitload of hacked GTAO cash, fuck em where it hurts: microtransactions

Eh? Been using cheat engine in single player games forever and many others have.

One of the benefits on pc gaming.

Yes, of course. My point was more that if pubs are going forward with having loot boxes in single player games, it's just a matter of time before some publisher gets the bright idea to ban people for cheating in a single player game.

Wait, how is the cheat enabled or performed. Like just a cheat code, or actual piracy/modding the game so that the unlimited currency cheat is enabled?

If the later, yeah, this is technically wrong, but I would argue
(sarcastically)
against its illegality. It's a single player game, so no one but the user is affected. The only other party affected would technically be the developer/publisher. Interesting enough, the cheat is not to get anything unobtainable by simple grinding and earning virtual currency that way. Thus, the cheat is really only a way to skip the grind and get things quicker, skipping the wait. This same rational is used by the developer to include the the loot boxes in the first place ("loot boxes are just for those who want to skip the wait").

The irony.

oti

Banned
Look. It's not really how this is supposed to go. You bought the game, you knew about the loot boxes and you apparently felt ok purchasing it without knowing you could cheat to get the offline loot boxes.

But.

I'm not a cop. You bought the game. Do what you want with it.

Just don't use the "I wouldn't have bought the loot boxes anyway" excuse. That's the same excuse people make up for pirating games.

Just have fun with the game. Video games are supposed to be fun.

If this is surprising the last major wb game you could cheat your way into the premium currency as well

Yeah? What was that?

This would piss me off if I was getting it on PC. The endgame sounds like the best part.

Can understand why people are happy that karma is biting WB in the ass though.

Lucifon

Remember it's not Piracy, because the the contents in a lootbox aren't worth anything and can't be resold, which is why lootboxes arent't gambling apparently.

;)

I understood this. That said, it actually isn't seen as though these are just silver loot boxes which are ingame currency bought not paid currency bought. So these aren't the paid loot boxes.

Lanrutcon

Yes, of course. My point was more that if pubs are going forward with having loot boxes in single player games, it's just a matter of time before some publisher gets the bright idea to ban people for cheating in a single player game.

They're more than welcome to start up that particular arms race.

Shari

What about giving yourself the item instead of the currency?

Possible, maybe, but way harder than simply editing an existing value. It will be easier if you speak about item replacing.

The problem with this in this game is that everything is generated "randomly" the moment you are getting it, which makes it harder to impossible.

It's not like replacing your broken sword for a Drake Sword on Dark Souls. Because the Drake Sword in DS has a unique identifier and thus makes it simple to just replace that items id with another items id already in your inventory. It doesn't work quite like that in Mordor since there are no unique equipment items.

Same goes for Orcs.

Audioboxer

I'm sure they already do. The definition of SP game now is non-existent really. These pubs claim "always online connected worlds" = MP game. Even if it is a SP game.

There is a line that can be crossed as well, to be honest. Something like Dark Souls is primarily a SP game, but you can PVP and Co-Op. If people cheat in it and go online it can ruin others experiences. Remember that cheater that was somehow getting other people banned in Dark Souls by hitting them? That was madness. But yeah, sometimes bans are needed.

If you want to cheat make sure it's strictly offline or not hurting a MP community. Otherwise, you won't get any sympathy if banned. That's not the real issue here, it's that pubs and devs will become more hostile to what is "offline" cheating as they look to say if you want to cheat in a game you've bought from us you must pay us money for booster packs or loot boxes. You'll see far more forced online PC SP games for sure, backed up by Denuvo and other DRM, but it's not going too hot for Denuvo right now!!

PC gamers always have a chance to say fuck off to this stuff, console gamers do not. Unless you're on a Nintendo platform that can use an Amiibo card reader/NFC cards.

Septimius

Wait, how is the cheat enabled or performed. Like just a cheat code, or actual piracy/modding the game so that the unlimited currency cheat is enabled?

If the later, yeah, this is technically wrong, but I would argue
(sarcastically)
against its illegality. It's a single player game, so no one but the user is affected. The only other party affected would technically be the developer/publisher. Interesting enough, the cheat is not to get anything unobtainable by simple grinding and earning virtual currency that way. Thus, the cheat is really only a way to skip the grind and get things quicker, skipping the wait. This same rational is used by the developer to include the the loot boxes in the first place ("loot boxes are just for those who want to skip the wait").

The irony.

It's like any other product ever. You can do whatever the fuck you want with any product you own, but doing so may void warranty or have someone terminate your account or whatever for doing things they don't want.

So the short is that there's absolutely nothing illegal doing this, but you may be breaking a TOS, or something, which are flimsy to begin with.

r3n4ud

Ah, gotcha! Sorry, I misunderstood :/

jono51

Banned
Nobody can tell me what I can and can't do at the comfort of my own desktop. This isn't the apple ecosystem we are talking about. Fuck WB and also fuck Apple.

Sai-kun

Banned
I remember in Borderlands 2 when golden keys were stored in a text file that you could just go and edit. They eventually patched it out but didn’t reset anyone’s keys, so I got to keep all 800 of them 😂

Basically yes. The cheat engine community shares their work freely and then some nefarious characters take their work, put their own name on it and bundle it up as trainers.

For people looking to get in on this, use cheat engine and get cheat tables from their original source (fearlessrevolution). There is no risk of malware like there is when downloading and running suspicious binaries.

Valtýr

My immediately animal brain reaction is "Hah! Gonna buy it now and do this just to spite them!" then I realize the end I would be giving them a sale they wouldn't have got before.

Wait, so this is a cheat to get around having to grind for currency only available by playing the game, to buy lootboxes only available to be bought with that currency?

Why is everyone acting like this cheat is going to stick it to the man? If anything, it'll probably encourage them to lock these 'offline boxes and currency' behind an online connection, save as the online ones you purchase with real money.

dstarMDA

That's definitely piracy. This would not even be a discussion if we were talking about getting free unlimited chests in Clash Royale or any F2P.
Cue this game is not a F2P answers but its business model still includes those MTs

Whether you're ok with is a whole other topic (as for example with private Vanilla WoW servers).

Audioboxer

I remember in Borderlands 2 when golden keys were stored in a text file that you could just go and edit. They eventually patched it out but didn't reset anyone's keys, so I got to keep all 800 of them ��

I'm pretty sure you could "exploit" golden keys on the PS3 copy as well.

The difference back then though was Gearbox not really caring/giving away keys on mass and it was just a do what you want situation.

If the next Borderlands has loot boxes and gold keys can be bought with real money, look forward to hostile DRM/bans and a different attitude altogether.

Wait, so this is a cheat to get around having to grind for currency only available by playing the game, to buy lootboxes only available to be bought with that currency?

Why is everyone acting like this cheat is going to stick it to the man? If anything, it'll probably encourage them to lock these 'offline boxes and currency' behind an online connection, save as the online ones you purchase with real money.

In one sense it should show everyone clearly what the priority of the man is. If PC games start getting forced online connections and insane DRM the PC market will just respond accordingly anyway. They already do cracking Denuvo, and we all remember how EA/Sim City telling everyone that game had to be always online to be playable. Crack came out, the game worked fully offline, well played EA.

oti

Banned

The irony in this case, which some people still don't seem to understand, is that the people who make loot boxes a success are not the people who use cheat engine anyway.

MUnited83

For you.
It's funny seeing trainer and cheat websites now asking people to pay for cheats... But then again, that's essentially what developers and publishers do at much higher price points xD (prices below are hilarious, but if you ever wanted enough currency in some of these games to unlock everything quick you'd be paying $100's to some of these pubs/devs, per game).

6be28HY.png

Now? Cheathappens has asked for people to pay for cheats since 2007/2008

That's definitely piracy. This would not even be a discussion if we were talking about getting free unlimited chests in Clash Royale or any F2P.
Cue this game is not a F2P answers but its business model still includes those MTs

Whether you're ok with is a whole other topic (as for example with private Vanilla WoW servers).

Not really; all of this stuff is single player, as far as I understand.
It's less like getting Street Fighter V fight money with cheats to unlock characters that you can buy with real money, and more like cheating to get an infinite amount of coins for Smash Bros. Brawl's coin launcher mini game.

scitek

Does this game work offline on PC? If it does you could always use cheat engine and get whatever item you wanted anyway or just edit your saves. Forget about lootboxes.

e. You may not develop, distribute or use any third party program designed to impact the Game experience, including without limitation software bots, cheats, hacks or any other software designed to provide a player with an advantage;

4. Consent to Monitor. When the Game is running, WB Games, its affiliates or its contractors may monitor your Entertainment System for uses that violate Section 1. You hereby grant WB Games, its affiliates and its contractors permission to monitor your Entertainment System for purposes of identifying such use and communicating potential violations to WB Games. WB Games, its affiliates and its contractors are under no obligation to monitor your system.

MUnited83

For you.
Slightly ahead of the curve then! Publishers and devs asking people to pay for glorified cheating were beaten to the punch.

The lifetime subscription is actually decent value. Cheathappens doesn't have just simple cheats: there are cheats that take a great deal of reverse enginering to achieve. Paying for a service where you get a shitload of those, as well as having trainers constantly updated (instead of being abandoned like free ones) definitely has its value.

Top Bottom