• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can get unlimited Shadow of War loot boxes on PC with cheats

Audioboxer

That's it. I'm getting a gaming PC for the holidays. I'll be damn curious to see what can be done in Destiny 2 PC.

With a game as MP focussed as that expect to be banned instantly. Cheating for SP games is more the area people are prepared to get hostile at devs if they ban people for it. There's a commonly agreed stance that bans on a PC need to happen in MP games because competitive cheating ruins communities.

I'm sure people will try and say they're only cheating for the dyes, and maybe some would do only that, but Bungie will still ban you in a heartbeat. They're not banning you for piracy though, just because you went against the TOS you agree to when you use their online servers. Then again that is how devs and pubs will treat SP games going forward. You connected to our online server to play your single player game as we made it "always online", so we're now going to ban your account.

To which PC gamers will continue to crack games and play them offline. Like Sim City.

StereoVsn

I guess? But these can be bought with in game currency which, by all accounts, the player is swimming in though normal gameplay. What's the point?
That's the peasant "silver" lootboxes. For endgame grind you need "gold" lootboxes which can only be purchased with real money.

butman

Is this a bad thing or a good thing? I'm not even sure anymore lol.

giphy.gif

Audioboxer

Now that is respecting peoples free time.

What, you mean the hypothetical workload struggling father of six children shouldn't be dancing he can spend $99.99 in NBA 2K18 to have more fun quicker in his MyCareer save?

It's almost as if easy modes in games used to offer 2xEXP or 2xCredits (like Persona 5), or people just downloaded or entered cheat codes (/type god_mode 1 in console).

I know achievements came along and people frowned upon others getting them without the effort, but we're now moving on from that to wondering if cheating is piracy?

Aretak

Gold, which is needed for gold loot boxes, is stored server-side, so we're halfway there already!
There are potentially ways around that too. As an example, Mass Effect 3's multiplayer had loot boxes (way back in 2012!) that could be bought both with in-game currency and real money. Your in-game currency was stored locally though, so editing it and buying a million boxes was trivial.

For Mass Effect: Andromeda's multiplayer, they moved your in-game currency server-side, so that it was no longer possible to change it. A good plan, but quickly foiled by much more sophisticated memory editing that changed things such as enemy wave budgets, timers and ready-up prompts to effectively auto-farm currency for you. Leave it on overnight and you have enough money for more loot boxes than you'll want to sit there opening.

Granted, in a game that isn't immediately dumped after launch, this would probably get you banned sooner rather than later (there were tons of ban waves for ME3MP, including for editing credits, but have been none for MEAMP, presumably due to there being nobody left to handle them). It's interesting just how far you can go with direct memory editing tools to bypass these things though, breaking completely different elements of the game to achieve the same end result.

That's the peasant "silver" lootboxes. For endgame grind you need "gold" lootboxes which can only be purchased with real money.

There's legendary orcs in regular loot boxes too. There's enough info out now that we don't really need to bring up the "gold boxes are needed for end game" fallacy any more.

As long as people are playing offline they can have as many loot boxes as they want. Hope they're not invading other players fortresses though.

That’s it. I’m getting a gaming PC for the holidays. I’ll be damn curious to see what can be done in Destiny 2 PC.

Not much. You won't be editing any stats or currency like you can here considering that game is heavily online. Same reason they can't get gold currency here, that data is not on your PC.

MUnited83

For you.
It's a bit hilarious anyone sees using the cheats as a "screw WB, i outsmarted theeeeeeem"... like, you guys realize they knew that people would cheat, right? There's a reason there's a offline currency like Mirian and a online one with gold. Obviously gold is the one that WB gives a shit about and don't want you to aqquire.
This incorrect on both accounts. You don't need gold lootboxes for endgame grind, and gold lootboxes are aqquirable with in-game currency that you earn while playing.

Slayven

It's funny seeing trainer and cheat websites now asking people to pay for cheats... But then again, that's essentially what developers and publishers do at much higher price points xD (prices below are hilarious, but if you ever wanted enough currency in some of these games to unlock everything quick you'd be paying $100's to some of these pubs/devs, per game).

6be28HY.png

I'm going to assume there are now pirated cheat programs out there lmao.

People rage about companies selling cheats, but will buy them from a third party? The industry knew they were leaving money on the table, who could blame them

It's a bit hilarious anyone sees using the cheats as a "screw WB, i outsmarted theeeeeeem"... like, you guys realize they knew that people would cheat, right? There's a reason there's a offline currency like Mirian and a online one with gold. Obviously gold is the one that WB gives a shit about and don't want you to aqquire.

This incorrect on both accounts. You don't need gold lootboxes for endgame grind, and gold lootboxes are aqquirable with in-game currency that you earn while playing.

I'll be the first one using a gold cheat if one drops. Can't wait.

Audioboxer

MUnited83

For you.
People rage about companies selling cheats, but will buy them from a third party? The industry knew they were leaving money on the table, who could blame them
eh, different cases. Cheathappens does have a edge over free cheats and they provide a pretty decent service. And there's a number of their trainers that have cheats that are more than simple editing and required quite a bit of reverse engineering.
I definitely see a whole more value on a website that goes over and beyond on keeping every trainer updated as much as possible and frequently reverse engineers complicated stuff, all for a decent enough price for that service, than only very simple cheats offered by publishers that have do even less work to change any of the values.
Aren't those cheats for online multiplayer? Whole other ball game (apart from battlefront 2)

No, cheathappens doesn't have online cheats.

WaterAstro

So if you want to protest the loot crates, but still support the game itself, you buy the game and pirate it to cheat? I guess. lol

Sini

It's funny seeing trainer and cheat websites now asking people to pay for cheats... But then again, that's essentially what developers and publishers do at much higher price points xD (prices below are hilarious, but if you ever wanted enough currency in some of these games to unlock everything quick you'd be paying $100's to some of these pubs/devs, per game).

6be28HY.png

I'm going to assume there are now pirated cheat programs out there lmao.
Paid trainers from that site have been a thing at least since 2009, wtf is this post

I remember being upset when they made all their new trainers premium only back then when I still used them often.

RoyalFool

Banned
Pretty sure this is stealing, seems weird they added transactions to the game but no sort of server side validation of consuming them.

I remember hearing that one of the major problems with this title was that some items only drop from loot boxes, and therefore would be unobtainable once the servers are shutdown. Sounds like that isn't the case now which is great news.

Half tempted to actually pick this up, if someone can confirm this is 100% legal.

Pretty sure this is stealing, seems weird they added transactions to the game but no sort of server side validation of consuming them.

I remember hearing that one of the major problems with this title was that some items only drop from loot boxes, and therefore would be unobtainable once the servers are shutdown. Sounds like that isn't the case now which is great news.

Half tempted to actually pick this up, if someone can confirm this is 100% legal.

You can't steal the paid ones. This thread is just about the free ones.

MUnited83

For you.

Considering Mirian is not even available for purchase with real money, you have literally zero to worry about. I mean you'd have zero to worry about either way, but this currency literally can't be bought.

Audioboxer

Paid trainers from that site have been a thing at least since 2009, wtf is this post

I remember being upset when they made all their new trainers premium only back then when I still used them often.

My PC gaming days were mostly entering console commands and downloading trainers from random forums. So are you saying you were "wtf" surprised I wasn't down with the recent times and charging for cheats for PC gaming? I know MP cheats have been charging for a while, but I've never been on that website before.

I mostly play Football Manager on my PC, and a few simulation/strategy games. I primarily game on PS4.

eh, different cases. Cheathappens does have a edge over free cheats and they provide a pretty decent service. And there's a number of their trainers that have cheats that are more than simple editing and required quite a bit of reverse engineering.
I definitely see a whole more value on a website that goes over and beyond on keeping every trainer updated as much as possible and frequently reverse engineers complicated stuff, all for a decent enough price for that service, than only very simple cheats offered by publishers that have do even less work to change any of the values.

No, cheathappens doesn't have online cheats.

I agree. Cheathappens is legit and I'm a Lifetime member. They do a great job keeping up with the latest version of games.

Valtýr;251790632 said:
My immediately animal brain reaction is "Hah! Gonna buy it now and do this just to spite them!" then I realize the end I would be giving them a sale they wouldn't have got before.

Weirdly I had the same thought. That's exactly what they want too. I'll gladly skip it though because I'm not dying to play this.

People asking/concerned if adding Mirian is "stealing" or "piracy"...

Are you serious?! Like, how can you possibly even care either way?

MUnited83

For you.
So you're paying a company to be able to not pay a different company?

that's a pretty faulty comparison I feel.

There's a huge world of difference between paying a relatively cheap fee to people who constantly reverse engineer and modify games, and keep those applications constantly updated, with a crapload of cheats that are not in any way available officially in 99% of games, and which cheats often include some more complex stuff.
That's a whole lot different from paying a company to turn a 0 into a 999999 for 99.99$ for that one single game.

Because corporations are greedy?
Greedy...for what? You can't buy miriam with money. You can't buy the silver boxes with money.. Your statement makes no sense whatsoever. If they wanted it to be uncheatable, they would make the currency online only like the gold currency. They haven't been caught by surprise, they already knew the offline currency would be susceptible to cheats.

Someone figured out how to access Market and all online features in the game lol

No. These trainers are not for online use. If you try to modify the Gold amount, which can be bought with real money, it will reset to the actual amount upon connecting to their server infrastructure. This trainer can be used for Mirian silver currency only which is only earned by playing the game.

MUnited83

For you.
No. These trainers are not for online use. If you try to modify the Gold amount, which can be bought with real money, it will reset to the actual amount upon connecting to their server infrastructure. This trainer can be used for Mirian silver currency only which is only earned by playing the game.

I think he might be talking about Steam006 (dude known for cracking Denuvo in Life is Strange Before the Storm). He's currently trying to break the protection on the gold. He's still testing it though, and even then he says he might not release it publicly.

Top Bottom