• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can no longer buy GTA Trilogy on PC, R* had "data files that were unintentionally included"

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
At the moment, these remasters are a disgrace

1635292134_Grand-Theft-Auto-Trilogy-%E2%80%93-Configuration-requise-pour-ledition-definitive.jpg

It smells like games cooked too quickly in a too hot oven. Not only are some of the cosmetic choices questionable, the whole thing seems to be entirely bugged, especially on Switch.
Here are some captures found on Twitter. Also, Rockstar has chosen to completely remove the fog from the 3 games. This helped to hide the draw distance but also made it possible to give the impression that the map was huge.

a4644fe64ad67f0b6a8e908e10f1673dfab2a6fc11eff4a62b8b4ca22b1ba28a.png
b06c453ba1e5c827195fc07ae61c70b75fbfec94dd266362996aece6dbd47d4f.png

137115.png
137118.png
137123.jpg

137114.jpg
137117.png
137122.png

Then the situation just went from "crappy" to "Cyberpunk 2077".

Since the release of the remasters, the Rockstar Games Launcher is inaccessible (fixed now, kind of).

unknown.png

While searching through the game files, a player realized that all the music in the game are accessible in the Ogg Vorbis format which is normal since it is the basic audio codec of Unreal Engine 4.
What is less normal is the presence of music in principle withdrawn from the game for legal issues.

Examples of notes from Rockstar North staff from that era:

tbKpfgZ.png
FD7Vs2ZWUAMjRUr

FD7-ZEPWUAIR_67

FD7XFwPXMAUwgpL

Other players have come across the scripts managing the gameplay and the missions accessible in clear which is a gold mine for modders.
Finally, the game has already been cracked which means that pirates can play it unlike those who paid for the game ...

The shitshow continues...

GTA San Andreas featured a minigame dubbed Hot Coffee that allowed players to control CJ while he fucked his partners.
Rockstar North had removed it at the last minute, but the code and assets were still there.

Then, the modders were able to reactivate it causing a puritanical delirium: the game had been reclassified Adult Only in the US (and therefore withdrawn from sale) and Take-Two had to release a patch and a new version limps in disaster.
There was a federal government investigation, a trial, tons of reporting on the subject ... It was the summer 2005 soap opera.

And it may be not necessarily over. Those who got their hands on the unpatched PC version of the GTA San Andreas remaster continue to find surprises in the game files such as the fact that THE HOT COFFEE CODE IS STILL HERE.
It is not even deleted. It is just put in comments. We do not know if this is the case with graphics assets but it seems that changing a boolean could reactivate the whole thing.

This means that it is probably also present in console versions including the Switch. I'd pay a lot to see how Nintendo bosses look when Hot Coffee videos running on modified Switchs drop on YouTube.

But the worst part about it is that Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy Definitive Edition was developed by Grove Street Games, the same who released a totally broken version of San Andreas on smartphones in 2013 and then used it to create PS3 and Xbox 360 ports.
It's not even an internal Take-Two studio. It must be said that Take-Two is too busy removing mods from the web including what is just a backup save for GTA IV.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Seems they delayed it a month? There's a timer now. Maybe to fix some things?

Last edited:

Hugare

I mean, Cyberpunk was bad, but they never took it away from people's libraries

This is one of the biggest shitshows gaming has ever seen.

These guys have botched the HD versions back then, and they gave the same company the keys to make the Definitive Edition?

Get fucked, Rockstar

Unk Adams

Banned
I'm just thankful the talented developers spent their valuable time focusing on removing problematic content instead of giving us a game that actually works. Also, this is the digital future game companies have been pushing. Western gaming in 2021 - broken AAA games, censored, (literally) unplayable remasters, paid digital content taken away from you, etc. Modern western gaming is basically just shitty woke games and shitty broke games at this point.

Vaelka

I'm just thankful the talented developers spent their valuable time focusing on removing problematic content instead of giving us a game that actually works. Also, this is the digital future game companies have been pushing. Western gaming in 2021 - broken AAA games, censored, (literally) unplayable remasters, paid digital content taken away from you, etc. Modern western gaming is basically just shitty woke games and shitty broke games at this point.

What did they remove?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Never played any of these... And I still won't be I guess... Wow. What is rockstar saying on Twitter and other platforms?

GreatnessRD

What really blows me is that they had the audacity to remove all the other versions from the stores and sell this garbage. I'm still wait for Definitive Plus edition for $20, lol

Naked Lunch

This shit is killing me. Too funny.
The sad thing is people will still buy this like mad - itll tear up the sales charts. So theyll get away with it.

The state of these remasters, and stuff like BF2042 launching without a fucking scoreboard or voice chat - pay now and we'll fix it later, maybe.
Companies releasing unfinished husks is our present and future.

I'm really bummed at how this turned out. I honestly hope someday they will remaster them again and give them the love they deserve.
These games needed to be fully remade on the latest Rage engine by professionals, not given to some noobie students as some part time exercise.

K.N.W.

Seriously WTF Rockstar???

FD--XF3UUAQ0BHP
A map editor?? WOW, soooo cool. Basically you can create maps with a plane.... Right??

Anywayyyyy, why there is "Nitro" assigned to the A button? I'm not sure that planes can use Nitro (both in game and in real life), and the A button is already assigned to "Countermeasures", so it might be just another bug.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I'm definitely sticking with the master versions (+mods). Although I knew that when the first screenshots were shown.

well done Rockstar ya gone done cyberpunked yourself!

hopefully this wakes people up. i know Rockstar didn't develop it but they thought they would outsource it to a MOBILE studio instead of doing it themselves and then make a quick buck off the GTA name. they have every right to since they own the games but it shows they are lazy, incompetent, and greedy. Rockstar is riding off on their previous work which is fair enough but too many people are failing to see how much they have changed and this has been going on many years now.

I think we might be witnessing the fall of Rockstar. GTA V could be the peak. GTA V and RDR2 are great games but there have been 2 major departures (Dan + Leslie). GTA VI will sell like crazy no doubt about it but i think we should be concerned if Rockstar can still make a good GTA game. it's almost like a Souls game without Miyazaki, a Metal Gear without Kojima, or a Zelda game without Miyamoto.

that greasy slimeball of a CEO at TakeTwo has got his claws in deeper. TakeTwo are taking the piss and only want to milk GTA fans for all they're worth. not only have we got this disaster of a remaster but they also want us to buy GTA V again for a third generation in a row!! stop blindly pre ordering shit and giving them money. for a long time you saw the name Rockstar and knew you were getting quality but now...not so much.

Last edited:
Rockstar can't afford that.
the company that has milked BILLIONS from selling a game over multiple generations of consoles and tempts players with micro transactions?

yeah rockstar can't afford it. /s

Rockstar is one of the richest video game studios out there. Of course they can afford it. They just don't want to spend the money. if they cared about making a quality product they would spend the money. but here they have decided to do it on the cheap. they hired a mobile studio to develop it. Rockstar are only spending money on the marketing/publishing. they will have made a fortune already because idiots pre order because iTs RoCkStar! iTs GtA!!

Banjo64

cumsessed
well done Rockstar ya gone done cyberpunked yourself!

hopefully this wakes people up. i know Rockstar didn't develop it but they thought they would outsource it to a MOBILE studio instead of doing it themselves and then make a quick buck off the GTA name. they have every right to since they own the games but it shows they are lazy, incompetent, and greedy. Rockstar is riding off on their previous work which is fair enough but too many people are failing to see how much they have changed and this has been going on many years now.

I think we might be witnessing the fall of Rockstar. GTA V could be the peak. GTA V and RDR2 are great games but there have been 2 major departures (Dan + Leslie). GTA VI will sell like crazy no doubt about it but i think we should be concerned if Rockstar can still make a good GTA game. it's almost like a Souls game without Miyazaki, a Metal Gear with Kojima, or a Zelda game without Miyamoto.

that greasy slimeball of a CEO at TakeTwo has got his claws in deeper. TakeTwo are taking the piss and only want to milk GTA fans for all they're worth. not only have we got this disaster of a remaster but they also want us to buy GTA V again for a third generation in a row!! stop blindly pre ordering shit and giving them money. for a long time you saw the name Rockstar and knew you were getting quality but now...not so much.
You’ve just given me a really sad thought, Miyamoto is nearly 70. One day soon we’ll be getting Zelda games without his involvement :messenger_pensive:

Top Bottom