• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can (now?) activate TFA on your Nintendo Account

I don't know for how long you could do this but I didn't find a thread and thought it might be helpful for those who need and/or rely on it or whatever.

Go to http://accounts.nintendo.com and log in to your Nintendo account.
Click on "Login and safety settings" (or whatever it's called in English) and you'll find the Two Factor Authentification option on the very bottom. It's self-explanatory from there on out.

German screenshot for reference:
00e36ab145.png

It uses Google Authenticator, which I think is a pretty neat.

Use it. Do it. Keep your account(s) safe.

Lock if old and all that jazz.

EDIT OH YEAH AN DYOU CAN ALSO CHANGE YOUR NAME HOW BOU DA

L~A

That's not all, you also receive an email when you log in to your Nintendo Account, at least if you do so via your Nintendo Network ID.

Problem is, you get it every time you log in, and you can't disable it.

-shadow-

Well that's good, Nintendo finally after a fucking decade, stepping up their online game.

That's not all, you also receive an email when you log in to your Nintendo Account, at least if you do so via your Nintendo Network ID.

Problem is, you get it every time you log in, and you can't disable it.
Well this is annoying, I have my 3DS set to needing a password incase I were to ever lose it or it gets stolen. Don't feel like getting five emails a day when wanting to upload a screenshot to Miiverse...

Well, while I still can atleast..

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I didn't even realize that TFA wasn't a thing with Nintendo accounts.

Probably because you never read about accounthacks for Nintendo systems. .. Honestly. Didn't even cross my mind lol.

Glad to have it though... Should be mandatory for every online account.

L~A

Probably because you never read about accounthacks for Nintendo systems. .. Honestly. Didn't even cross my mind lol.

Well, until Nintendo Accounts, NNID were only used on Wii U / 3DS
(and NicoNico)
, and you could only have one account on each console, so there was no need for 2FA. I mean, even if someone somehow managed to hack your account, they'd need to get hold of your actual console to do anything with the accounts
(other than create a NicoNico account)
. Granted, they could buy you games on the web eShop, too ;)

It uses Google Authenticator, which I think is a pretty neat.

EDIT OH YEAH AN DYOU CAN ALSO CHANGE YOUR NAME HOW BOU DA
That's two things right there that Sony can't seem to figure out. Their account security is complete shit and still relies solely on SMS TFA, and you still can't change your username.

Part of me thinks it is part of an evil plan to don't allow region changes
At least for the Switch, most people are just making alternate accounts to access the eShops of other regions though.

epmode

Just some advice for anyone that isn’t aware: Any site that uses Google Authenticator can also use an app called Authy. Authy is superior because it’s possible to install on more than one device at a time which is a godsend if you ever lose your phone or whatever.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
(and NicoNico)
, and you could only have one account on each console, so there was no need for 2FA. I mean, even if someone somehow managed to hack your account, they'd need to get hold of your actual console to do anything with the accounts
You are right... It's wasn't essential to the account safety like on other systems. But good they didn't take as long as Sony to implement it for the Nintendo Account system.

epmode

Do they provide a recovery key when setting up 2FA? You know, a single-use code that can be entered if you don’t have access to your device.

Nintendo have always been pretty relaxed about display names, hence how in MK8 you generally end up in a race with 5 people called "Daddy".

What annoys me more is the inability to chose a nationality other than your physical location. e.g. as an Irish person living in the UK, it's Union Jacks all the way for me whether I like it or not (no political point intended, just would like to be able to choose my correct nationality).

Kayant

You can change your ID?

Nintendo made it before Sony? That's embarrassing.
Tbf they are starting from a clean sheet vs Sony who have to think about compatibility but yh it's still embarrassing they took so long and to only implement SMS...
SMS 2FA isn't nearly as secure as an app.
For majority of users it is good enough and better than nothing. It's only really vulnerable when you're targeted(As long as implementation is done well) in which case you have more things to worry about.

andthebeatgoeson

Was just debating this with my weak password and saving a credit card to the eShop. I can't remember if the eshop password is the same as the nnid. I was thinking it's not. Is that true?

Just some advice for anyone that isn’t aware: Any site that uses Google Authenticator can also use an app called Authy. Authy is superior because it’s possible to install on more than one device at a time which is a godsend if you ever lose your phone or whatever.

This. I changed to Authy as soon as I knew this. It also has a chrome app for your PC.

Was just debating this with my weak password and saving a credit card to the eShop. I can't remember if the eshop password is the same as the nnid. I was thinking it's not. Is that true?

Unless you gave them both the same password your Nintendo Account and NNID are two seperate things and thus have different passwords.
Your credit card that's saved with your Nintendo Account has yet a different password, so does the credit card you saved with your NNID.

rudger

(and NicoNico)

And don't forget that on the Wii your credit card information was stored on the system itself. So in the case of the Wii, to get any valuable information, you had to hack the physical system rather than some server somewhere.

Nintendo have always been pretty relaxed about display names, hence how in MK8 you generally end up in a race with 5 people called "Daddy".

What annoys me more is the inability to chose a nationality other than your physical location. e.g. as an Irish person living in the UK, it's Union Jacks all the way for me whether I like it or not (no political point intended, just would like to be able to choose my correct nationality).

Well, I think that's probably more for network related things than nationality. I don't remember anything though if it's actually listed as "nationality"

Nice! Just went ahead and did this for some extra security. Nintendo may not have the shit together for online games, but at least this didn't take long to implement.

Thanks OP! Immediately turned on 2FA - I use an application on iOS called 2STP (which unfortunately isn’t going to be updated anymore because the developer got a job at Apple) but it works with Google Authenticator just fine. Once it dies out, I’ll switch over to Authy.

zigg

Nice. I just signed out and back in, and it looks like they're doing the right thing as far as recovery goes.

KHlover

Banned

But then what about all those dozens of folks who buy a $300 entertainment product but can't afford a $50 smartphone?

Top Bottom