• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can now buy insurance in Metal Gear Solid 5

Window

You can just staff it with terrible people and not build any extra platforms and etc. People can still invade though. If they're successful I think you can lose some people not on the FOB staff.

Loading your FOBs with high level staff makes those people more easily available to steal but it also makes invading FOBs extremely hard. The theft of unprocessed materials is irrelevant.

Aren't all staff who aren't under direct contract (which is usually limited about 10-15% of your total staff count) vulnerable to being stolen if an enemy reaches their target destination? That's a large proportion of your staff.

Henkka

Banned
Here's how FOB options should look like:

Do you want to participate in online invasions: Yes/No

Instead they make it a mandatory part of the game to sell insurance to people who are worried about it.

How can you not see something wrong with that

You can just play offline, though. Still shitty, shouldn't have to cut your connection to enjoy the game the way you want.

DevilFox

Uh, they are treating it like it was a browser / facebook game. People are stupid enough to spend real money on those, let's see if they're stupid enough to pay for this as well.

How much MB coins is it? 50? 100? 1000? And for what period of time? Disgusting nonetheless
I can finally spend my MB coins!
I originally posted this in the patch thread:
Insurance options:
1 day for 50 coins
3 days for 100 coins
7 days for 200 coins
And 14 for 300 coins
There's also a 3 day trial lol

Vuze

Yay, paying real money for "insuring" a somewhat mandatory virtual platform from theft of virtual goods. And I bet there'll be enough bulbs who will fall for this shit. Glad I blocked the game in my firewall before I built an FOB, it really doesn't add anything to the game but serves as a way to scam you into paying for effectively nothing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Are you crazy? That's a horrinle idea, I robbed these people blind. when they make it to the goal the invaders take 10 people from your entire pool. the guards are extra.

I've had so few successful invasions that I never thought FOBs were a big problem and don't know why Konami thought they would make any money from it.

Research as many high level Security Staff weapons as possible, build 4/4 of a single platform type. I don't think I've had a single successful intrusion in about 3+ weeks.

They can steal security staff people and some unprocessed materials I guess, but I feel like that's had little to no impact on my game.

Aren't all staff who aren't under direct contract (which is usually limited about 10-15% of your total staff count) vulnerable to being stolen if an enemy reaches their target destination? That's a large proportion of your staff.

Yeah it's possible. I'd be interested in hearing some stories to see if anyone has lost a lot of high level staff, though. Defending FOBs is insanely easy compared to successfully intruding so it seems like any really bad cases would be rare.

FOB should not be forced on us.

I just realised yesterday I can't opt out of being invaded.

Now fuck Konami for trying to sell us insurance of all things, into a mode we are forced to play and manage.

Absolutely disgusting. This is why I fear MGS VI will be a micro transaction laden mess not even getting to the part where Kojima won't be involved.

Lanrutcon

That's weird. I mean, I can take my game offline, use cheat engine to get me whatever I need, then pop back online and have the two do whatever they want to each other. FOBs can't undo research or buildings or ranks or anything. There's nothing relevant it can take away. Why buy insurance?

What am I seeing?

qtWyQYa.gif

Doczu

Can't wait for the next level of MGS insurance: denying you the insurance, as you left your door open/not enough soldiers to defend your base.

elhav

lol this is hilarious. Just when you think Konami can't fuck themselves any more than they already did...

Window

Yeah it's possible. I'd be interested in hearing some stories to see if anyone has lost a lot of high level staff, though. Defending FOBs is insanely easy compared to successfully intruding so it seems like any really bad cases would be rare.

Speaking from my own experience, I was getting invaded about once a day each time I wasn't online and losing staff. So the concern is if I want to comeback to the game 2-3 months later, will my motherbase have levelled down significantly?

They really should have made it so that only currently online players may be invaded and are only alerted if the guards spot the enemy (considering how tough infiltration already is).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Speaking from my own experience, I was getting invaded about once a day each time I wasn't online and losing staff. So the concern is if I want to comeback to the game 2-3 months later, will my motherbase have levelled down significantly?

They really should have made it so that only currently online players may be invaded and are only alerted if the guards spot the enemy (considering how tough infiltration already is).

Yeah perhaps. The latest patch just did change some FOB things as well so go upgrade your Security Staff weapons!

I wonder how much Mother Base operations end up impacting MGO. If not significantly, then rob my staff all you want I'm done with the single player game :^)

ISee

Konami allows to cheat online, if you are willing to pay. This is ridiculous.

Thank god they don't own the Dark Souls franchise.

Jimquisition incoming.

Watching a classic series like MGS stooping to this bollocks is one of the most tragic things I've seen in gaming.
Still love the game though.

SomTervo

What a time we live in.

I yearn for the gaming of yore.

At least you've got devs like CDPR.

> release a complete, functional and giant game at normal retail price
> add free DLC for months later
> add nice patches/updates to make gameplay/experience marginally better
> literally no bullshit
> profit

Hopefully publishers will see the benefit in not being fucking scumbags.
They won't.

Top Bottom