• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can now buy PS4 controllers

Can you wirelessly connect it via Bluetooth on PC like DualShock 3? I really need a wireless controller. I'll ditch my wired (play & charge kit) 360 controller + wireless receiver. I hate having so many things plugged in.

Gaz_RB

Thank god it's not available near me or I'd have to go get one even though I def don't need one because I have no self control.

Cels

I'll be stopping by my local gamestop after work to get one if they have it.

I hope it works for The Last of Us for my second play through.

Wait, does this mean stores like Walmart will have theirs early?

edit: and does the DS4 work with The Last of Us?

sixaxis functions shouldn't work on a DS4 plugged into a PS3 so you will run into trouble when your flashlight dies and you have to shake to recharge it, but i think that's about it?

U2NUMB

Thank god it's not available near me or I'd have to go get one even though I def don't need one because I have no self control.

Pretty much me.. gonna head out and check a few as I have nothing else to do. No need for an extra but I would like to have it in my hand.

Eusis

thought it wasn't fully functional on ps3?
Correct.

But it may be functional ENOUGH for a lot of people and a lot of games. Souls for example you'd only be missing out on writing messages (Demon's Souls) and Gesturing (Dark Souls) so long as it doesn't block PC pads entirely, and I doubt the select button's THAT important in games like Street Fighter. Does make me wish we still had the Select button, but it's actually kind of weird Share isn't treated like that by PC/PS3 anyway.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
thought it wasn't fully functional on ps3?

It's not. I don't have one, but from what I've seen the PS button doesn't work and there's no Select button (Options works as Start, Share does nothing). So to quit a game you'll need a DS3, and games that use Select for something important are not really gonna work.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Don't need it, want it, buying one when available in my area. Jealousy and desire is a deadly and expensive combination.

ckohler

Just got one. Only one of the three GameStops in my town got more than their preorders. I'll be trying it out in about an hour.

Dinput is basically everything else. MS introduced Xinput as a proprietary API with the 360. You can also map key commands to the controller using joy2key.
Thanks! I'm relatively new to PC gaming but am totally hooked. I have xpadder but if that doesn't work I'll pick up joy2key. I've been very curious about the DS4 and have been waiting forever for Sony to redesign their controllers. Think I'll give it a go!

Miguel81

It works as a basic HID device (buttons, sticks). Lots of newer games only work with Xinput devices (360 controller). This uses Dinput.

Proprietary api so that Microsoft can corner the market. With the death of GFWL, I'm hoping for the death of this as well.

Tell me how it feels. Give us a proper review. Compare it directly to a 360 controller. Desperate!

This was all caps originally.

I'll compare it to a 360 controller like this:

Size/Shape: The back of the controller feels less crowded, especially when compared to a 360 wireless with battery bulge. The handle's are smaller and easier to grasp. The 360's more wide and my fingers hit some plastic and kinda get scrunched.

Joysticks: Similar to 360 in tightness and movement. Very nice grip, looks like the material will last longer/not get shiny as fast.

D-pad: Amazing, this thing is similar to older dualshocks, but with curved edges, so it doesn't slightly stab your thumb. Comparing it to the original 360 d-pad its 1000 times more comfortable/usable. Compered to a new d-pad edition 360 controller, it moves smoother and somehow just feels very natural.

Buttons: They are no longer analog sensitive and are nicely symetrically spaced. I prefer the convex smooth feel of the 360 buttons better, plus I love how the colors are kind of a throwback to the Super Famicom. The PS4 buttons are slightly more close together than the 360, so depending on your thumb size this could be a good or bad thing.

Build Quality: Equal to 360. I'm tapping on the plastic and judging weight. I'll know in 5 years how its gonna hold up compared to my old 360 controller.

Sex Appeal: I still think this is the ugliest controller ever made. When I initially saw pics of the controller I assumed it was a beta build and that the final version would look much better. Visually, the 360 controller looks much better.

nictron

Size/Shape: The back of the controller feels less crowded, especially when compared to a 360 wireless with battery bulge. The handle's are smaller and easier to grasp. The 360's more wide and my fingers hit some plastic and kinda get scrunched.

Joysticks: Similar to 360 in tightness and movement. Very nice grip, looks like the material will last longer/not get shiny as fast.

D-pad: Amazing, this thing is similar to older dualshocks, but with curved edges, so it doesn't slightly stab your thumb. Comparing it to the original 360 d-pad its 1000 times more comfortable/usable. Compered to a new d-pad edition 360 controller, it moves smoother and somehow just feels very natural.

Buttons: They are no longer analog sensitive and are nicely symetrically spaced. I prefer the convex smooth feel of the 360 buttons better, plus I love how the colors are kind of a throwback to the Super Famicom. The PS4 buttons are slightly more close together than the 360, so depending on your thumb size this could be a good or bad thing.

Build Quality: Equal to 360. I'm tapping on the plastic and judging weight. I'll know in 5 years how its gonna hold up compared to my old 360 controller.

Sex Appeal: I still think this is the ugliest controller ever made. When I initially saw pics of the controller I assumed it was a beta build and that the final version would look much better. Visually, the 360 controller looks much better.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you very much.

BigDug13

Well, time to head to the store. BTW you can get really long microUSB cables on monoprice for less than $2 (plus shipping though).

IconGrist

Spent the better part of the last hour just getting a feel for the DS4 since I got home. I'm pretty comfortable agreeing with all points in the quoted post.

I will also note that my index fingers rest more naturally on the triggers instead of the L1/R1 buttons of the previous DS models. The L3/R3 buttons are indeed much easier to press as well. Any other questions I'll try to answer what I can.

Eusis

Proprietary api so that Microsoft can corner the market. With the death of GFWL, I'm hoping for the death of this as well.
This is something I'm more lukewarm on however because it provided a reliable baseline whereas it was kind of a crapshoot before.

Still, the fact they'll probably get it working eventually on PC while the DS4 is innately compatible probably means that games will end up having DS4 defaults, possibly even including the DS button icons similar to FFXIV.

PTG

There's a post on r/PS4 where people are compiling a list of PS3 games that are compatible with the DS4. Here's what they've compiled so far:

DS4 with PS3

• Must be connected with a cable; cannot support wireless
    Vibration, Motion Sensing, and the Playstation Button do NOT work
    Connect a DS3 as a second controller, and use that for the PS button.

Working

• PS1 Games
    Call of Duty (MW2, MW3, Black Ops, Black Ops 2)
    Castle Crashers
    Portal 2
    Far Cry 2
    The Last of Us
    LittleBigPlanet/LittleBigPlanet 2
    Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    Heavy Rain (no motion sensing)
    Uncharted 1/2/3
    Red Dead Redemption
    Infamous + Infamous 2
    Resistance 2 (had to use a DS3 to get past the start screen, but DS4 worked fine after that)
    Killzone 3
    Dead Space
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Motorstorm (Apocalypse, Pacific Rift)
    Tomb Raider
    Prototype
    Skyrim

Not Working

• Grand Theft Auto V
    Resistance 3
    Jak and Daxter HD Collection (only the analog sticks work)
    Gran Turismo 5

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1p2ug1/everyone_with_a_dualshock_4_right_now_lets_create/

Tsundere

Banned
gamestops store thingy shows a ton here in Austin. A shame I wanted a color one, else i'd go ahead and pick one up.

Not seeing anything else in stock though.

LOL! Just called one of the ones in my area that has them, lady said can't sell them till 11/15.

Orland Square
568 Orlando Square Dr
Orland Park, IL 60462

Top Bottom