• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can now change your PSN User ID starting today

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/04/10/online-id-change-on-psn-your-questions-answered/

We’re excited to announce that the online ID change feature on PSN is officially launching to all PlayStation 4 owners later today. You’ll also be able to change your online ID via a web browser, and that feature will also be available starting today. Thanks to all of you who participated in the beta preview program back in October/November and who gave us your feedback!

PlayStation 4:

• Step 1: From your PS4 go to [Settings].
  • Step 2: Select [Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Profile] > [Online ID].
  • Step 3: Enter an Online ID of your choice or choose from one of the suggestions.
  • Step 4: Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the change.
Web browser:

• Step 1: Sign in to your PlayStation Network account and select PSN Profile in the menu.
  • Step 2: Select the Edit button that’s next to your Online ID.
  • Step 3: Enter an Online ID of your choice or choose from one of the suggestions.
  • Step 4: Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the change.

The first change is free, and changes after that will cost $9.99 USD / CAD. For PlayStation Plus members, it will cost $4.99 USD/ CAD for each change after the first one.

I am so excited for this.. now I can finally rid myself of this god awful name I've had on PSN for so long.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Please think about it before changing your name:

Below are some of the issues you may encounter. We expect major issues to occur only in a small number of games.

• Your previous Online ID may remain visible to you and other players in some areas.
  • You may lose progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data, and progress towards Trophies.
  • Parts of your game and applications may not function properly both online and offline.
  • You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you may have acquired for your games including content like add-ons and virtual currency.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If you have a game in this category, we do not recommend changing your online ID if you wish to continue playing that game without losing its entitlements and achievements which you have already bought or released. It is possible to incur permanent game errors or data loss as a result of using the feature.

• Disc Jam™ (Critical Issues**)
  • Everybody's Golf (Critical Issues**)
  • Just Dance 2017 (Critical Issues**)
  • LittleBigPlanet™ 3 (Critical Issues**)
  • MLB 14 The Show (Critical Issues**)
  • MLB The Show 16 (Critical Issues**)
  • MLB® The Show™ 15 (Critical Issues**)
  • ONRUSH (Critical Issues**)
  • The Golf Club 2™ (Critical Issues**)
  • Worms™ Battlegrounds (Critical Issues**)
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/onlineid/games-list-home/critical-issues/

PS3 and PS Vita games and apps do not support the change of online ID feature.
If you have games that are not in the list, the following issues may occur:
  • You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you've acquired for those games, including content like add-ons and virtual currency.
  • You may lose your progress within those games, including game saved data, leaderboard data, and progress toward trophies.
  • Parts of those games might not function properly, both online and offline.
  • Your previous online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players in some places.
  • You may have permanent game issues as a result of the online ID change that cannot be fixed with a revert back to your old online ID.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/onlineid/games-list-home/

Game list here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/onlineid/games-list-home/no-known-tested-issues/

I think I just might keep my name. :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Games with critical issues include Little Big Planet 3.

There are a lot of major games in the "issues identified" list but those issues seem pretty minor.

It's not too bad now that I look at the details.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The critical issues list is very small:

• Previous online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players, or the online ID is no longer visible in some areas in a game title (in-game rankings, leaderboards, etc). For some game titles, the online ID will automatically update if you sign out and then sign back in to the game or when various gameplay activity is performed after sign-in;
  • User accounts on PlayStation may be unlinked from game accounts. Linking accounts again may restore the original linkage; and
  • Certain game settings may be initialized to their default state (audio setting, controller setting, etc). For some game titles, settings may be recovered if you sign out and then sign back in to the game.
  • These games are identified on the Games List by (Issues Identified*).

The Issues Identified is as simple as re-linking your account to the game (worst case) if it ever cropped up on the change:

Games which have been tested and were found to have one or more of the following known issues which we did not consider critical to the game play experience but which you should review to consider how important they are to you:

• Previous online ID(s) may remain visible to you and other players, or the online ID is no longer visible in some areas in a game title (in-game rankings, leaderboards, etc). For some game titles, the online ID will automatically update if you sign out and then sign back in to the game or when various gameplay activity is performed after sign-in;
  • User accounts on PlayStation may be unlinked from game accounts. Linking accounts again may restore the original linkage; and
  • Certain game settings may be initialized to their default state (audio setting, controller setting, etc). For some game titles, settings may be recovered if you sign out and then sign back in to the game.
  • These games are identified on the Games List by (Issues Identified*).

• Absolver: Downfall (Issues Identified*)
  • Assassin's Creed® IV Black Flag™ (Issues Identified*)
  • Big City Stories (Issues Identified*)
  • Bloodborne™ (Issues Identified*)
  • Call of Duty®: Ghosts (Issues Identified*)
  • Crossout (Issues Identified*)
  • DARK SOULS™ II: Scholar of the First Sin (Issues Identified*)
  • DARK SOULS™ III (Issues Identified*)
  • DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS™ (Issues Identified*)
  • EA SPORTS™ FIFA 17 Standard Edition (Issues Identified*)
  • Gauntlet: Slayer Edition (Issues Identified*)
  • GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst (Issues Identified*)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (Issues Identified*)
  • GUNDAM VERSUS (Issues Identified*)
  • GUNS UP!™ (Issues Identified*)
  • Injustice™ 2 - Standard Edition (Issues Identified*)
  • KILLZONE™ SHADOW FALL (Issues Identified*)
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (Issues Identified*)
  • MLB® The Show™ 17 (Issues Identified*)
  • NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 (Issues Identified*)
  • NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM Trilogy (Issues Identified*)
  • NARUTO STORM 4 : Road to Boruto Expansion (Issues Identified*)
  • NBA 2K19 (Issues Identified*)
  • PlayStation®VR Worlds (Issues Identified*)
  • Rock Band™ 4 (Issues Identified*)
  • ROCKSMITH® 2014 EDITION – REMASTERED (Issues Identified*)
  • The Last of Us™ Remastered (Issues Identified*)
  • Titanfall™ 2 (Issues Identified*)
  • Trackmania® Turbo (Issues Identified*)
  • Trove (Issues Identified*)
  • UNCHARTED™ 4: A Thief’s End (Issues Identified*)
  • UNO® (Issues Identified*)
  • Warframe® (Issues Identified*)
  • WipEout™ Omega Collection (Issues Identified*)

Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Last edited:

Rayderism

I'm just glad I spent longer than 3 seconds choosing my PSN ID. Im 100% digital this gen and it woud be very annoying to discover some games got borked simply because I changed my ID. I have a LOT of games (the games category in my library says 382) and I may not get back to a game for months. Imagine getting back to a game only to find all your save data is gone. ARRRRGGG!

Toe-Knee

The critical issues list is very small:

The Issues Identified is as simple as re-linking your account to the game (worst case) if it ever cropped up on the change:

• Absolver: Downfall (Issues Identified*)
  • Assassin's Creed® IV Black Flag™ (Issues Identified*)
  • Big City Stories (Issues Identified*)
  • Bloodborne™ (Issues Identified*)
  • Call of Duty®: Ghosts (Issues Identified*)
  • Crossout (Issues Identified*)
  • DARK SOULS™ II: Scholar of the First Sin (Issues Identified*)
  • DARK SOULS™ III (Issues Identified*)
  • DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS™ (Issues Identified*)
  • EA SPORTS™ FIFA 17 Standard Edition (Issues Identified*)
  • Gauntlet: Slayer Edition (Issues Identified*)
  • GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst (Issues Identified*)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (Issues Identified*)
  • GUNDAM VERSUS (Issues Identified*)
  • GUNS UP!™ (Issues Identified*)
  • Injustice™ 2 - Standard Edition (Issues Identified*)
  • KILLZONE™ SHADOW FALL (Issues Identified*)
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (Issues Identified*)
  • MLB® The Show™ 17 (Issues Identified*)
  • NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 (Issues Identified*)
  • NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM Trilogy (Issues Identified*)
  • NARUTO STORM 4 : Road to Boruto Expansion (Issues Identified*)
  • NBA 2K19 (Issues Identified*)
  • PlayStation®VR Worlds (Issues Identified*)
  • Rock Band™ 4 (Issues Identified*)
  • ROCKSMITH® 2014 EDITION – REMASTERED (Issues Identified*)
  • The Last of Us™ Remastered (Issues Identified*)
  • Titanfall™ 2 (Issues Identified*)
  • Trackmania® Turbo (Issues Identified*)
  • Trove (Issues Identified*)
  • UNCHARTED™ 4: A Thief’s End (Issues Identified*)
  • UNO® (Issues Identified*)
  • Warframe® (Issues Identified*)
  • WipEout™ Omega Collection (Issues Identified*)

Not as bad as I thought it would be.
Would be better if it detailed the issues for each game.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Would be better if it detailed the issues for each game.
And also if we knew how they obtained that list. Is it from what people played during the namechange beta tests? I think even if you're committed to changing your PSN ID it's best to wait a few months for potential updates on problematic games.

Toe-Knee

And also if we knew how they obtained that list. Is it from what people played during the namechange beta tests? I think even if you're committed to changing your PSN ID it's best to wait a few months for potential updates on problematic games.
I believe it is from the beta. I had access to the forum but not the beta as I got home too late and the quota was filled.

There was a forum for reporting issues on a game by game basis.

Barnabot

It's a welcome change. But I don't know how things are done with PSN but games should work with user unique id's instead of psn user id. Unless the PSN user Id is the only unique id to use and you are having some kind of data migration instead of a simple change in the user id (which I assumed that psn user id was only kind of username instead).

Toe-Knee

It's a welcome change. But I don't know how things are done with PSN but games should work with user unique id's instead of psn user id. Unless the PSN user Id is the only unique id to use and you are having some kind of data migration instead of a simple change in the user id (which I assumed that psn user id was only kind of username instead).
The psn name is the unique id. Which is why you also keep your old names so you can play ps3/vita games.

AFAIK the name change doesn't do anything on those platforms or just shows the original

shoulda just saved it for debut with ps5.. woulda been an easier pill to swallow with people potentially losing data on old games that they probably arent playing much anymore than doing it in the middle of a gen with actively played games..

Texas Pride

Banned
I tried both methods and currently at least for me theres no option to change my tag. Disappointing but expected. Can anyone confirm this shit works at all?

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I tried both methods and currently at least for me theres no option to change my tag. Disappointing but expected. Can anyone confirm this shit works at all?

It's just not up yet in some places.

They haven't had name changes since PSN began, what's another few hours or a day.

FranXico

Access to the feature depends on the country. Tomorrow, it will be rolled out on Europe.

Texas Pride

Banned
I'm in the US and it's just not live yet I guess. Maybe don't announce something that's not available everywhere if its ya know not available everywhere until it is.....

Hale-XF11

Is this list final or is it possible that we'll uncover more critical issues that haven't been discovered by Sony yet?

I wanna change my name, but I think I'm gonna hold off for a bit and see how this plays out.

Toe-Knee

Is this list final or is it possible that we'll uncover more critical issues that haven't been discovered by Sony yet?

I wanna change my name, but I think I'm gonna hold off for a bit and see how this plays out.
I think this is what was found in the beta test.

New games shouldn't have issues.

I think the majority of issues will be on ps3/vita and anything with user created content

Will not change my PSN ID. Every online name I have chosen was taken directly from the Bible and is considered the word of God.

What a mess and complete incompetence... They should have simply retained the main name so all game and account data is tied to it but allowed users to create a new visible name...

Mind blowing stupidity.

DanielsM

Banned
What a mess and complete incompetence... They should have simply retained the main name so all game and account data is tied to it but allowed users to create a new visible name...

Mind blowing stupidity.

That is exactly what they did, they created an alias from what I can tell.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
If they created an alias it shouldn't be causing these type of issues as there should be no interaction with name/account integration.

Not true, depends on what the developer has done which is why they have edge cases. Each game could in theory be impacted, they actually started rolling this out to developers over a year ago so they can implement the changes on their part. Most of the games shouldn't be impacted as the fixes have been out there, but if they didn't you might in theory see your old id.

Sounds like from the beta testers most everything will work but you might see your old id in some games and it could cause some issues with stats and such, but it depends on the game.

Letting PS3 and Vita games roll off over time seems to make sense as well, not a great thing to have happen but I don't see any issue per se with the fix, in theory.... it is very similar to when Microsoft had issue with XBL with the original Xbox..... but we all know things now we didn't know in 2001.

Last edited:

Mochilador

Your previous Online ID may remain visible to you and other players in some areas.

You may lose progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data, and progress towards Trophies.

Parts of your game and applications may not function properly both online and offline.

You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you may have acquired for your games including content like add-ons and virtual currency.

Holy shit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After over 11 years of having my previous name, I finally updated my name to the one that I wanted. I booted up a few digital games on my PS3 like Super Puzzle Fighter 2 HD Remix & Megaman 10 and had no issues at all. After changing my ID on the website then I booted up my ps3, it installed a firmware update, and then it signed me right in and my new ID was visible instead of the old one. No regrets here.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Congrats Sony on the name change system. Right on schedule as rumors suggested (First quarter) and even though it’s not as good as XBL I’m with the system.

CyRuZ

Banned
Sorry for bumping an old thread. Didn't want to create a new one for this question. Did anyone run into problems. The official list is quite short but i'm not sure that there could be more games which are affected by changing your name.

DanielsM

Banned
Sorry for bumping an old thread. Didn't want to create a new one for this question. Did anyone run into problems. The official list is quite short but i'm not sure that there could be more games which are affected by changing your name.

I can only speak of personal experience, no problems for me on PS4 and PS Vita. I actually didn't think the name change would show up on the Vita and it did. I don't think you'll run into much issues if at all, just my take.

Only problem I ran into was with auto-uploads. All I had to do was manually go into my online save storage, delete something, re-upload it, then the uploads went back to normal.

Top Bottom