• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can now play The Legend of Zelda Link’s Awakening on the PC with 60fps

CyberPanda

Banned
A few days ago, we informed you about the Nintendo Switch emulator, yuzu, finally running Super Mario Odyssey with 60fps. And today we are happy to report about another Nintendo Switch exclusive that runs with 60fps on the PC. Yeap, as the title suggests, PC gamers can now enjoy The Legend of Zelda Link’s Awakening on the PC with 60fps.

This Zelda game can run so well on yuzu thanks to the recent Asynchronous GPU Emulation update. After all, this update has drastically increased performance in most games on the emulator. This is also the reason why Super Mario Odyssey also runs so smoothly on yuzu. This feature allows yuzu to utilize a secondary core to offload emulated GPU instructions, freeing up the primary core for more CPU bound tasks.

As we’ve already said, yuzu can currently run a few games at full speed. PC gamers can already enjoy games like Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Super Mario Maker 2. ONE PIECE: Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition also runs with 60fps.

Do note that there are still some visual artifacts in The Legend of Zelda Link’s Awakening. So while the game is fully playable and enjoyable, it’s not perfectly emulated yet. My guess is that the yuzu team will fix these glitches in the next couple of releases.

Still, it’s really mind-blowing witnessing a 2019 game running so well on the Nintendo Switch emulator.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
And that's how you know it's time for a Switch Pro. I get that PCs are always going to be more powerful, but it shouldn't embarrass the actual console like this.

Astral Dog

And that's how you know it's time for a Switch Pro. I get that PCs are always going to be more powerful, but it shouldn't embarrass the actual console like this.
tbf the Switch is a portable device even on Docked its far from using the full capabilities of Tegra X1 for overheating concerns.

stranno

Man, emulation is somehow moving at an even faster rate.

It's awesome!
Hard to beat the Game Boy Advance emulation. This screenshot was published on March 24, 2001, three days after the console release in Japan.

5YVrbt5.png

Iki's iGBA already emulated F-Zero and Mario Advance perfectly fine, without sound.

Last edited:

Fbh

That was really fast considering how long it took for Mario Odyssey to run at 60fps.
Kinda nice to see this progress.

Switch is a portable console you can get for as low as $200, designed to run with low power usage as to give a decent amount of battery life.

The video in the OP is running on a PC with:
i7 8700k @5.0Ghz 16gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM GTX 1080ti 11gb 256gb NVME M.2 SSD.
The CPU alone, which isn't even the most expensive part of the build, is more expensive than than the entire console

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Don't get me wrong, it's cool that a PC can run this at 60fps. But it looks terrible, dark, and blurry in OPs video.

An overclocked Switch can run this at 60fps most of the time also.

Last edited:

RScrewed

This seems illegal...is this illegal?

:messenger_halo:

Maybe missing the obvious sarcasm here, but no, the mere act of emulating hardware is not illegal.

Further, depending on your locale, obtaining the game binary image file not directly from Nintendo may not even be copyright infringement, check your country's laws for more info!

Reactions: Fuz

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Maybe missing the obvious sarcasm here, but no, the mere act of emulating hardware is not illegal.

Further, depending on your locale, obtaining the game binary image file not directly from Nintendo may not even be copyright infringement, check your country's laws for more info!
No i was being serious. I honestly didn't know if emulation of a current gen system was illegal or not.

Fuz

Banned
You sure about that? I mean Nintendo will copyright claim a youtube video for somebody whispering "Here we goooooo". This seems to be somewhat of an escalation.
I'm sure. Emulation is legal. Owning roms, if you don't legally own the game, is what's illegal.

EDIT: Actually, not even owning roms, but distributing them.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No i was being serious. I honestly didn't know if emulation of a current gen system was illegal or not.
Any game that's on a cartridge or installed via the eShop can be dumped legally on the Switch because it's been hacked and others have wrote tools (which don't use any proprietary Nintendo software) for extracting the files. Taking said cartridge ROM and loading it onto a PC emulator to play it is perfectly legal and within your rights (in the USA at least).

Putting said ROM on your website for distribution to others, however, would not be.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm sure. Emulation is legal. Owning roms, if you don't legally own the game, is what's illegal.

EDIT: Actually, not even owning roms, but distributing them.
So hold up. Its been a LONG time since I've used emulation or ROMs. I thought you needed ROMs to run on an emulator. So the onus is basically only on the distributor, not the person who downloads the emulator or the ROM?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Any game that's on a cartridge or installed via the eShop can be dumped legally on the Switch because it's been hacked and others have wrote tools (which don't use any proprietary Nintendo software) for extracting the files. Taking said cartridge ROM and loading it onto a PC emulator to play it is perfectly legal and within your rights (in the USA at least).

Putting said ROM on your website for distribution to others, however, would not be.
Hmmm...I see. So we were saying...about this...Yuzu? Can you use your DS4 or Xbox controller with it? Or would I need Joycons? I kinda wanna play some of this stuff. I also really want a switch but can't really swing it this second.

Kenpachii

U need the console key and games yourself. The emulator discord this guy is part off has this all explained on how to rip stuff off there and tools to do so. The software they make is not owned by nintendo or anything and just emulates code to make the software run on.

The switch emulator is going in fast pace forwards but has ways to go, the wii-u however is already in a far stage at this point. When the new zelda hits switch emulation is probably going to go in high speed forwards as zelda seems to be the main thing that pushes that emulator scene.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
So hold up. Its been a LONG time since I've used emulation or ROMs. I thought you needed ROMs to run on an emulator. So the onus is basically only on the distributor, not the person who downloads the emulator or the ROM?
Same as piracy.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Same as piracy.
You know, back in the day when Napster was all the rave...I was made to believe that I was doing something illegal because I was downloading songs onto my pc back then using the service. Obviously I was not arrested nor fined.

I have to make a phone call.

Fuz

Banned
You know, back in the day when Napster was all the rave...I was made to believe that I was doing something illegal because I was downloading songs onto my pc back then using the service. Obviously I was not arrested nor fined.

I have to make a phone call.
Are you calling Lars Ulrich to complain?

Emulators are for cucks.

Isn't using an emulator to play the game cucking the console? I would say it's the opposite. I mean, it's BIGGER, it has more POWER, it can do MORE, it's FLEXIBLE and it can play almost ANY game, sometimes TWO or MORE at the same time. PC MASTER race, bruh!

Nah, I'd rather just play the original on Gameboy. Looks way more pleasant and miles better to me anyway than that 3D nonsense.

It is one of the finest Game Boy games I played, no doubt. But I don't think the remake was meant to "replace" the original, but built further upon it. I think they are both great games in their own right. Nothing can replace the fond memories I have of the original, but I'm not opposed to creating new ones with the current incarnation.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Define anytime soon. Progress is moving pretty fast with this emulator.

I'm mainly responding to the implication that 60FPS overrules all other areas of presentation. I'd much rather keep the 30 if even one small part of the visuals at any point is off, flashing, incorrect palette, etc. Which is why I love emulation for older systems, but find it to be a bit of a mess for recent or current ones.

It looks like the DOF blur is messed up, and there are artifacts everywhere, as he mentioned. Neat, but certainly not preferable anytime soon.

I think you're wrong.

Just look at the ABSOLUTE MESS this game was on Yuzu only 2 weeks ago.

And in only 2 weeks it went from that mess to 4k 60fps with only a few shimmering glitches on plants and a wonky DOF blur.

Link's Awakening could be FLAWLESS on Yuzu very very soon.

DrNeroCF

Pretty interesting, but the game drops were hacked out already, so hopefully Nintendo officially fixes the stutters.

It is one of the finest Game Boy games I played, no doubt. But I don't think the remake was meant to "replace" the original, but built further upon it. I think they are both great games in their own right. Nothing can replace the fond memories I have of the original, but I'm not opposed to creating new ones with the current incarnation.

OK, fair enough :)

Still really not a fan of any 2D to 3D update though, graphically. The only thing I like about the graphics is the DOF effect that so many people here seem to hate.

Top Bottom