• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You do know you can turn the PS4 controller light bar off, right!?

CHC

Just turn the brightness way down, saves a lot of battery. I actually like it because that's how I know if the controller is on or not.

Arkeband

Banned
Can't you just turn the brightness down? It seemed to prolong the battery life by quite a bit and it's too dim to reflect off of things.

Caayn

I got hope when I read the title that Sony finally allows us to disable the light bar. Why did you choose to disappoint me OP?

Mod != fix.

Kysen

I opened up my controller a couple of days ago and it was working fine with the ribbon cable off(light completely off). I also noticed that the internals differ between the launch model and the 1200 sku.

Tobor

I'm glad this isn't an issue for me. Battery lasts more than long enough for my needs and I like the light, especially when devs use it in novel ways.

Vashetti

Banned
Found this video online and tried it. Worked flawlessly for me. Now my controller lasts 1/3 longer! (plus you don't have it reflect off your screen when gaming).

FYI Cover the first pin to remove light when in use but still see it when charging.
Cover the first 4 pins if you don't want to see the light flash when it charges or in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLwNXvTzh6w&list=FLONg91BJJoQ5fXWyipC8L2w&index=2

This has been disproven. LEDs consume very little power.

The battery life is so poor because the touchpad and speaker are constantly 'waiting' in case they get used, plus the battery capacity is middling.

NewDust

This has been disproven. LEDs consume very little power.

The battery life is so poor because the touchpad and speaker are constantly 'waiting' in case they get used, plus the battery capacity is middling.

That's what I thought as well. I don't believe for a second they get 33% more up time with unplugging the light.

Anybody care to explain exactly how this voids warranty, or how Sony is supposed to see?

If it's like other tech devices as soon as it's opened a seal is broken and they can tell. That voids the warranty.

Javin98

Banned
Meh, no reason for me to fiddle around with my DS4 controllers. I easily get 8-10 hours of playtime from each anyway.

danowat

Banned
Anybody care to explain exactly how this voids warranty, or how Sony is supposed to see?

In many cases warranties are voided as soon as you crack the case open.

(not that I'd be particularly worried about a warranty on such a low cost piece of hardware)

How to turn of DS4 light.
1. Void warranty.
2. Jam candy bar wrapper inside.
Brilliant.
Not like duct tape over the front wouldn't be easier or anything.

Opening and modyfying your stuff always voids warranty. Not sure if Sony can tell, but they probably do. Not worth taking a chance for something so insignificant.

angelic

Banned
Playing soma at 3am night time on an inky black plasma, but a stupid (dimmed) blue light brightening up the room and reflecting was very annoying. Also i'll never void a warranty on sony hardware ever, even my 1200 model is loud, hot, and the controller desynchs.

evilalien

I opened up my controller a couple of days ago and it was working fine with the ribbon cable off(light completely off). I also noticed that the internals differ between the launch model and the 1200 sku.

It will work fine sure, but if you completely disconnect the ribbon cable you can no longer charge the controller.

Well the title got me to click on the thread like it was a menu or button combination. Would have saved me some time by saying modding in the title. Sure ripping out the light bar turns it off too. Smashing it against a wall would do the trick too.

Boogdud

What a misleading thread title.

You can also turn the light off by jamming a knife into the LED window and prying it out and filling the hole with flex seal. It'll also be water-tight!

pizzasqueeze

Neo Member
How long do you guys think the warranty lasts? (p.s. it's one year).

I'm not advocating modding, but warranty periods are usually very limited.

kvn

Ducktail

I like the light bar reflecting off the screen. It lets me know I still exist in the real world.

I really like the light bar. It's futuristic and classy.

Related:
a8j40b3_700b.jpg

Cornbread78

Poor guy was just trying to be helpful, lol

It hasn't bothered me at all, but I would just use black medical tape or something, lol.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
If there's one controller you want to keep the warranty on, it's the DS4.

So much this it's not even funny: I've cut through 4 DS4s and counting, all broken R2 triggers, all from pretty mild clenching in frantic FPS fights :D

I take them back for RMA, replaced same day - in reference, I've never had an Xbox One, 360, PS3, PS2, Xbox, PS1 or any other controller, fail on me ever.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I'm glad this isn't an issue for me. Battery lasts more than long enough for my needs and I like the light, especially when devs use it in novel ways.
Yep. Don't see how someone with a job or in college can sit there and play a video game for 5 hours straight.

Z3M0G

Mods dont count, OP... not for how you worded the title. You are making people expect to come in here and learn that Sony stealth added an option in the system settings to disable it... bait title.

OF COURSE you can mod it to diable the light...

Top Bottom