• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Nostalgia, You Lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMigs85

land-before-time-pizza-hut-puppets_150564564376.jpg

elfinke

markot said:
[/IMG]http://cdn.babble.com/famecrawler/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/gummibears1-300x224.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]http://www.ioffer.com/img/item/148/282/439/lzCJLXoJh5hpqRb.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]https://www.hotmoviesale.com/dvds/46875/1/Roger-Ramjet-Hero-of-Our-Nation.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]http://lucasemece.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/pp0302danger-mouse-posters.jpg[/IMG]

So much ABC afternoon television right there.

I'll submit the following (if you were in primary school during the late 80's and early 90's in Australia - and maybe in Canada too (though no Press Gang or Degrassi) - you'll get these):

HdKvp.jpg

jpanS.jpg

HFjna.jpg

1JkZX.jpg

(massive cookie to anyone who recognises that last one ^^)

NNr13.jpg

I see you can still buy these online. I must have had half a dozen different kits from this mob growing up. Such good stuff.

Tinabina

232f2597.jpg

032bd661.jpg

When I was little my dad never let me play with the happy meal toys, he kept them all in a box to save them for his grand kids. Now that I have a daughter I can finally play with them!

devenger

GDGF said:

I learned how to read with this book, now I have a copy for my daughter.

It's weird to see people nostalgic for stuff that came out when I was in college. Some of these toys I remember stocking when I worked at Toys R Us.

Davey Cakes

tinabina said:
When I was little my dad never let me play with the happy meal toys, he kept them all in a box to save them for his grand kids. Now that I have a daughter I can finally play with them!
Oh man, I definitely remember playing with some of these as a kid. I think I have some of them lying around; the rest are at my grandmother's house in some box stashed away in dark dusty corner. The Fraggle Rock toys, the Dalmation, Hyena, and Paratroopa come to mind. I also think I remember having the French fries with arms and the cup of soda.

isny

napkin dispenser
fludevil said:
I learned how to read with this book, now I have a copy for my daughter.

It's weird to see people nostalgic for stuff that came out when I was in college. Some of these toys I remember stocking when I worked at Toys R Us.

Brace yourself, they made a sequel. (I also bought new copies of both to pass down to my children. Grew up with the original)

another+monster.jpg

Tapiozona

Banned
Culebra 64 said:
AFTERTHESEMESSAGES.jpg

Saturday morning cartoons, man. Saturday morning cartoons.

Mindblown. How you ever remembered this boggles my mind. Didn't it have a little catching song with it too...

After these messages....... We'll be riiiiight back.

isny

napkin dispenser
Fatalah said:
Some public access memories:

20348607_images400908_yancancookvn1.jpg

Yan Can Cook, Wok With Yan, etc. were all amazing shows. I think that would be the only cooking show I would ever buy on DVD as he's so entertaining.

The Culture Vulture said:
Banned in the US

Why are Kinder Surprises banned in the US? Are kids down south really that stupid that they shove the whole thing in their mouth without opening it?

koopacapers.jpg

I had the Mario one too wayyy back then - and for some reason these books kind of freaked me out, mainly because you get a GAME OVER if you choose wrong along with a description of how Luigi perished :/

thebeeks

Banned
isny said:
Why are Kinder Surprises banned in the US? Are kids down south really that stupid that they shove the whole thing in their mouth without opening it?

Actually, yes. Disney released their own version called Wonder Ball in '97 -- the first wave had little plastic toys in it, but they soon stopped due to potential choking hazards. I've never heard of a confirmed case where a kid choked, but I guess the concern was there. All the waves after that had stickers, temporary tattoos, or Sweet Tart-esque things in the shape of Disney characters.

The jingle went something along the lines of "Ohhh I wonder, wonder, do I do I do...what's in a Wonder Ball?". My friends and I changed Wonder Ball to WonderBra when singing it, because we were totally mature middle school kids.

isny

napkin dispenser
thebeeks said:
Actually, yes. Disney released their own version called Wonder Ball in '97 -- the first wave had little plastic toys in it, but they soon stopped due to potential choking hazards. I've never heard of a confirmed case where a kid choked, but I guess the concern was there. All the waves after that had stickers, temporary tattoos, or Sweet Tart-esque things in the shape of Disney characters.

The jingle went something along the lines of "Ohhh I wonder, wonder, do I do I do...what's in a Wonder Ball?". My friends and I changed Wonder Ball to WonderBra when singing it, because we were totally mature middle school kids.

Yet another reason I'm glad to live in Canada I guess, lol

We get to keep Kinder Surprise and you get Bieber. NAFTA FTW

20060211182945_marbles.jpg

For some reason at my elementary school from grade 1 - grade 2, like circa 1990 - 1992ish, Marbles were all the rage. And then they were gone.

And then there was this:

fireballIsland.jpg

My grandmother got it for me for Christmas one year... I considered it like the greatest Christmas present ever, even though the game itself was pretty lame. I'd just set guys up on the bridges and roll the marbles down the paths.

tumblr_l3ikmqXDse1qb3mmfo1_400.jpg

How the hell did the California Raisins ever take off into its own line of toys, tv shows, and whatever else. People say that kids programs today are bad, or whatever, but, man, Saturday morning was junk when I was a kid.

1.jpg

Ghostbusters Cereal... As a kid, I only found it once at a supermarket while on vacation. It came with some red/blurry lens glasses that you could wear that would, apparently, make you see ghosts... I think it made like a 3D slimer on the box.

modIII.gif

My elementary school had a computer room packed with these computers. And for a while, I was thinking, man, my school went all out for these... because I know these machines were like $6000 on release. But then I realized I was using them in like 1990, and this line of Tandy was discontinued.

To turn them on, you used to have to hold "the orange button" and the 4 key at the same time, for some reason. And that booted them up. Beneath the orange button, is a little plastic decal that resembled a button, and kids used to swear that you could press that "button" on some machines and load up a game. Of course, it was all a lie... that was just a plastic decal Radio Shack / Tandy / whoever put on those things, but still... Elementary school lore.

Once my computer turned off by itself, I swear to god, and I told my teacher, stupid Mrs. Johnson, and she got me in trouble and made me miss recess saying that I held the orange button. I was seriously stumped as to why it turned off and I swear I never touched the orange button. I'll never forget that experience, and years later thinking on it, I was totally right, and those ancient computers were such pieces of shit, it DEFINITELY turned off by itself... which happens on new computers sometimes. Stupid bitch.

DarkFlow

Banned
oregon_1_large.jpg

Used to play this in grade school all the time on good ol' apple II's. I would load up on bullets and just hunt.

pogs1.jpg

These we all the rage in like 5th grade for about a month until my school banned them, but man did I have some cool slammers.

!B8cpwPgBGk~$(KGrHqF,!h0EzLZUTCRiBM3EGko5q!~~_3.JPG

Eagle Force was to GI Joe as Go Bots were to Transformers.

300_87502.jpg

M.U.S.C.L.E action figures. I had a bucket full of them. I used to dump Ghostbusters slime on them.

f26c_1.JPG

Garbage Pail Kids. I still have series 1-14 COMPLETE! These were banned from my school.

watchd14.jpg

Finally, the classic Transforming digital watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom