• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You want Deathrow 2 on Xbox 360? Sign petition!

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Hey everyone,

One of the titles on the Xbox I most enjoyed was Southend Interactive's Deathrow. A fast and violent futuristic bloodsport with mega-nice graphics and fast paced gameplay.

However, Ubisoft had Splinter Cell coming out at the same time as this game and it got totally undersnowed when it comes to marketing and exposure. Sadly that ment the title became a really hard to find game in stores and was not very widely received or recognized.

Anyways, it was still a great game with some awesome elements of gameplay and competition. Therefore a game like this on Xbox 360, Xbox Live and all the possibilities that offers (Deathrow TV, competitions, tournaments, etc), would totally rock and would offer something else, more gritty, more violent than the standard racing and sports games. They had a vision when they made this game, that become a reality in features of Xbox Live only five years later, now they can take advantage of those and set new standards for the future.

So because of that this petition was started by gamers, I signed it, maybe you guys can too, and see if Ubisoft recognizes that this game needs a sequel because it could sell well when properly supported, since it's the only game in it's kind remaining and Southend Interactive are super-talented guys when you see what they did with the first game.

Anywyas, sign it:

http://www.petitiononline.com/xboxdtrw/

Some screenshot for recognition and nostalgia:

4135.jpg

4126.jpg

Gamerankings page with reviews mostly with scores 8+ or more:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/560434.asp

Kobold

Also, feel free to send this petition to all your mates and publish it on other forums, etc.

That should help get the word around that we want Ubi to support a new Deathrow project. :)

stewy

Not to troll, here, but can someone explain to me what made this game so great? When our mag reviewed it we got tonnes of angry letters from readers who were absolutely in love with the thing, but I never quite understood the draw.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ill let this be an appreciation thread, but dont post stupid ****ing petitions here.

Kobold

People who put the time in to learn the controls and mechanics really digged it. Of course no one is forced to have liked it! I'm sure those people can make valid arguments for not liking the game. With another chance however, they may be able to address those issues as well. Who knows. I really enjoyed it, I think many others did too. Plus it's quite unique, which is pretty nice in itself.

I'm not saying it has pretty graphics compared to the latest and greatest games, but it sure did look better then pretty much everything else when it was realeased. One of the first games with bump-mapping and advanced animation techniques, etc. :)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
stewy said:
Not to troll, here, but can someone explain to me what made this game so great? When our mag reviewed it we got tonnes of angry letters from readers who were absolutely in love with the thing, but I never quite understood the draw.

Did you play it 8 player multiplayer?

Never had this game myself but a friend of mine had it on his XBOX and it was tons of fun to play together. Multiplayer was incredible, especially co-op vs. ai.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I approve of this thread. Deathrow was great fun, had brilliant graphics for its time and was coded by a tiny team (less than a dozen peeps IIRC) A lowly printed jewel buried in the bargain bin by a horrid distribution.

Kobold

Thanks Funky Pa, those are good pics!

"You're up for a medal, Marine!...If there is one for getting your ass kicked around!"

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
If anything Ubisoft has nothing to do with any potential sequel to Deathrow, SouthEnd made that clear on their forums back in the day so the petition is very much moot.
That reasoning was in short due to Ubi's abyssmal marketing for the first game.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
deathrow was underrated and is still the closest we've come to a spiritual follow up to Speedball 2.

Kobold

chigiri said:
If anything Ubisoft has nothing to do with any potential sequel to Deathrow, SouthEnd made that clear on their forums back in the day so the petition is very much moot.
That reasoning was in short due to Ubi's abyssmal marketing for the first game.
I understand, but I didn't create the petition. It's a good enough one, I don't care who publishes it really! As long as it comes out sometime. That would be cool enough. :)

chigiri said:
They're currently developing for the mobile platform, PC and X360.
True! Their mobile game, Da Vinci Code awas pretty sweet according to the reviews.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
There may have been a better game to play with your friends when you got home late from the bar, but if so I haven't seen it. Turning Deathrow up to 11 and hooting and hollering is what I call grade A fun. I loved the sound when you scored.

Kobold

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Any sequel had better have Live support. It was a travesty that the first game couldn't be played over Live.
It was launched before MechAssault, which was Microsoft's first first party Xbox Live game. :) So it's not that strange!

But if a sequel is made on the Xbox 360, the whole purpose would be sublime multiplayer and communities, I would reckon.

Sysgen

The first time I played Deathrow I didn't get and I didn't understand all the hype from the people that played it.

Several months later I tried it again and the gameplay clicked and it became one of my favorite games of last generation.

The perfect game for Microsofts fledgeling XBL, an online edition never happened.

From the perfect atmosphere of the different arenas to the diversity of the teams and their abilities to laying waste to your opponents with drop kicks and elbows to the head winning in Deathrow became the definitive definition of kicking ass.

Barnolde

Banned
One of my top 3 favorite Xbox games. Southend is working on a new IP, I think Ubisoft has the Deathrow rights and petitions do nothing.

Ah well, signed it anyway.

Kobold said:
It was launched before MechAssault, which was Microsoft's first first party Xbox Live game. :) So it's not that strange!

But if a sequel is made on the Xbox 360, the whole purpose would be sublime multiplayer and communities, I would reckon.

Yeah, but there were other Live games at the time, although it was early on in the life of Live. Still, it seemed like the perfect game for Live play then, and it would be a must now. Which of course, I'm sure it would have now. Just saying that online play would have made the game alot sweeter, as the nuances of the game weren't always evident in single player.

Kobold

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, but there were other Live games at the time, although it was early on in the life of Live. Still, it seemed like the perfect game for Live play then, and it would be a must now. Which of course, I'm sure it would have now. Just saying that online play would have made the game alot sweeter, as the nuances of the game weren't always evident in single player.
No, MechAssault was the first Live game if I remember correctly. :)

Plus, obviously they didn't get the funding to add any sort of Live. I think Ubi wanted to push it out the door, since their Splinter Cell got so much traction and hype that they wanted to focus all energies on that.

Also, on petitions not helping, is that like the old 'giving feedback on developers forums doesn't help'? Why not try, at the least it's a sign of support for a wonderfully talented developer. Can only have positive results.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
As someone who cannot stand sports games I really really loved the crap out of Deathrow. It was just a crazy fun, fast, intense game. The multiplayer was a blast, especially in coop and there was plenty of single player content if you wanted to unlock everything.

I'd love a sequel but I guarantee you it will never happen.

Scotch

What bothered me at the time is that I beat this game by just kicking the shit out of everybody. Though I guess this got harder at higher difficulty levels (never tried actually). Anyway, still great fun though, wouldn't mind a sequel. Add some stuff like fractured limbs and I'm sold :D

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Barnolde said:
IAWTP.

Perfect reason to post in this thread.
It's a message board. Get use to people giving their opinion.

I suggest that people don't sign this petition because the game isn't that good.

Daigoro

great game, i loved it. i have little faith in petitions, but i signed this one on the off chance that it might help.

ralexand said:
I suggest that people don't sign this petition because the game isn't that good.

i suggest that you are a dipshit.

Kobold

ralexand said:
I respect your opinion. It's fine by me that you didn't like the game, but you would deny people that did enjoy the chance to help get another game off the ground by actively promoting not helping these people out?

That's really strange. Oh well, probably don't understand what you really mean, let's move on. :)

Darklord

Banned
I loved Death Row. Although I was disappointed when I found it was WAY too easy after the OXM review claimed it to be too hard.

What did it sell anyway? I can't imagine much.

Top Bottom