• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You want to know which next-gen console is winning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just look at the local scalping prices, where I live they are pretty much selling at retail price (if you include local sales taxes)... there is even one below MSRP!

and on Ebay
Xbox first You can expect to pay around $700--sometimes closer to $600.

nRImT4r.png

PlayStation 5:
You can get one anywhere between 681$ to more often close to 800$.

igkJigO.png

I'm shopping for a PS5 so I started to look around and noticed the difference and looked into it.... Quite telling as xbox apparently has less stock to begin with.

The local markets are even worse (or better if you are on the market for an xbox, which I suspect will be readily available at retail pretty soon).

I the mean time, does anyone has a surefire way to get a quick notice when they are available at a store where I can order in Canada? 😁 I have no console at home and my daughter wants to play FF VII re with me.

Quasicat

I have seen an Xbox Series X in the wild and picked it up. Immediately after that, I started seeing signs that you could only get it online for the foreseeable future. I have never seen a Series S or either PS5s in store. A few days ago, I saw three PS4s in a display case, I had to do a double take to make sure that they were not PS5s.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Neither is winning......both are selling out.
The demand for ps5 may be slightly higher, but that's not terribly surprising considering the respective launch lineups. Software tends to drive hardware sales......

Hezekiah

Banned
Neither is winning......both are selling out.
The demand for ps5 may be slightly higher, but that's not terribly surprising considering the respective launch lineups. Software tends to drive hardware sales......
Demand for PS5 would be higher if the launch line-ups were identical. Mainly because the Playstation brand is held in a higher regard - within the US, but particularly outside of it.

Last edited:
The fact that there's even 1 person out there paying over retail for these consoles is retarded - let alone hundreds of dollars over.
"Gamers" have no one to blame but themselves for the console scalper phenomenon.
I personally made offer to some of them at retail price just to see... to no avail, one even started an "argument" with me by saying "but capitalism bro" ... I told him he offered nothing, the customer had access to it in the store, the store has more reach so he is not offering a distribution network / customer base. Like sure do this, but because you are allowed to do something (and I think making it illegal makes no sense, people should not be forced to hold on to stuff, or forced to sell stuff for less than what they paid for it) doesn't mean people have to praise you or agree with you doing it.

So I'll keep an eye on nowinstock.net ... if someone could tell me it works it would greatly motivate me.
Switch is not even next gen and is kicking both Sony and Xbox out of the water.
True, but I'm not interested in the Switch, I don't get why it's popular. Like I see people buying them, that the games sell like crazy, but I can't get myself to care for it... I would probably get an xbox over it, but I'm not so sure since I have a PC in my Livingroom and I would not get much from getting the console. I know, Sony may be about to fix that by putting their games on PC, so we shall see.
war platoon GIF

Someone needs reassurance over their plastic box. Another bait thread 👏👏👏.
I feel completely reassured now, thanks for your valuable input! and the claps too... 😵

This doesn't tell me which console is winning, it just tells me that average consumers are losing.

XsX and PS5 both seem to sell out nearly instantly whenever I see stock alerts. XsS is in stock more often but still sells consistently.

for an xbox, which I suspect will be readily available at retail pretty soon

What makes you think that?

Last edited:
There are still people out there thinking Sony won’t win this gen, again, in a landslide? Only if Microsoft stole Champions League sponsorship from Sony, that’s pretty much only way.

There are still people out there thinking Sony won’t win this gen, again, in a landslide?

I doubt there are many. Anyone who expects the Series to outsell the PS5 is, well, overly optimistic, to put it mildly.

MS' goal isn't/shouldn't (be) to outsell the PS5, it should just be to close the gap. Make it reasonable.

If they can get to the 85-90 million sold range (or higher) by the end of the gen, that's a huge step forward from last gen. Even that is probably unrealistic. Baby steps, just sell more than Xbox One. Move forward, make progress.

Sony is going to sell an insane amount of PS5's this gen, especially with the cheaper DE option out there representing an insane value proposition.

Last edited:
I was one of the lucky few to snag a pre-order from Target they day they went up, although I could sell my system to make a profit, I'm getting plenty use out of it.

Why does it matter? Pick which one you like/exclusives or wish to play with your friends/family on.

Switch is the top dog

Birdo

Banned
How to spot which console has the dumbest fans.

Seriously. If you are paying $800+ for a console, flush your head down the toilet.

Last edited:
Xbox has been pretty easy to buy whole time here. At worst you might need few days or get 1 or 2 bundled games. PS5 is gone in few minutes the moment any shop posts them.

Only one that didn't sell instantly was bundle with Sony Tv for 2k euro :D

Ammogeddon

I’m not sure many would argue who is “winning” but what’s the point?

It doesn’t speak to the quality of either console or the games they have/will have. The prices set by scalpers is based on supply and demand. Demand is higher for PS5 and supply is low. It’s as simple as that.

I want both of them to do well and release great games.

zedinen

Switch is not even next gen and is kicking both Sony and Xbox out of the water.
PS5 was the best-selling hardware platform in dollar sales in January (consumer spending drives the economy)

Nintendo will finish dead last in 2021 as its portable console is no match to Sony and Microsoft gaming ecosystems.

2020 Gaming Revenue (Jan - Dec)
1.Sony $23.88 bn
2.Nintendo $15.90 bn
3.Microsoft $13.82 bn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom