• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch [LEVEL5] is a 3DS game now!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Wasn't this the one where they basically said up front "we're going to merchandise/adapt the shit out of this"?

Yeah but first they have to finish it. Imagine if Nintendo announced Pokemon in 1993 and it took four fucking years to come out.

salromano

Just for fun, OP, here are some better screen caps from that trailer last year ;D

Anime

yokai2agr6w.png

yokai14rxo.png

nyokaip0lsc.png

yokai3zfo22.png

Gameplay

yakoi-watch-1beyl.png

yakoi-watch-2sc2e.png

yakoi-watch-31fts.png

Nice! Glad to see the game is still coming. May be interested if it's anywhere near as deep as Pokemon's battle system.

Some of the ghosts look interesting in the scan, too.

Having so many games targeting the exact same demographic on the same platform isn't exactly a great idea. Especially given Level-5's love of annual releases, and competition in that market from the king of it all in Pokemon. I suppose they didn't really have a choice in platforms though. Also :lol if that video was supposed to be representative of the 3DS build.

They know Inazuma Eleven is fading, so they're trying to impose another new IP to milk, for at least two or three seasons. 3DS seems the most reasonable choice now.

Forkball

So is this like a Pokemon game? Should be easy, considering there are already a ton of yokai they can just throw in there.

I'm not surprised, but it's nice to see Level 5 is getting their senses back at least for this game. Even though "this game" is just another media mix project with disposable art. I'm not particularly interest, but it's not like it wont take them at least another three years to release it in the west anyway..

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Smart choice, 3DS is by far the best system to sell such a title in 2013, or whenever they plan to release it.

Takao

Banned
It's not so unreasonable to think that Level-5 shifted development from Vita or PS3 to 3DS. And lol @ Takao in panic mode.

Why would I be in panic mode? It's not like there's any other platform for kids games right now. It makes sense to be on 3DS. It'll be timing, and positioning to see whether Level-5 launching it makes sense. If that was some dig on speculation that this may have once been a Vita game, my history of interest in Level-5's releases is pretty specific. Other than LBX they haven't made anything that I'd personally really want to play since Jeanne D'arc came out.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm not surprised, but it's nice to see Level 5 is getting their senses back at least for this game. Even though "this game" is just another media mix project with disposable art. I'm not particularly interest, but it's not like it wont take them at least another three years to release it in the west anyway..

"Get their senses back"? I don't undrstand what that means.

Kyon

Banned
Why would I be in panic mode? It's not like there's any other platform for kids games right now. It makes sense to be on 3DS. It'll be timing, and positioning to see whether Level-5 launching it makes sense. If that was some dig on speculation that this may have once been a Vita game, my history of interest in Level-5's releases is pretty specific. Other than LBX they haven't made anything that I'd personally really want to play since Jeanne D'arc came out.

Drag ha

iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

Just kidding based on how carefully you replied to many posts in the thread of a game you're not really interested in.

wrowa

Quite sure Hino already said that the shown gameplay video was just test footage and not representative of the final game.

In any case, 3DS is the only plattform that makes any sense for this kind of game. I'm sure they'd like to publish it on another plattform to diverse their line-up a bit, but there aren't many options for a kid-aimed RPG nowadays. The amount of kids who own a Vita should be negligible and I doubt that Level-5 will try another time to put such a game on the PS3 after Ni No Kuni's terrible fate. Wii U might be an option later down the road, but currently its success is still uncertain and its userbase at time of the planned release too small.

disco

The 3DS can put out those graphics in real time. Look at E.X. Troopers. A cel-shaded art style is extremely forgiving.

3DS does make the most sense, though the test footage did sort of imply Vita, PS3 or Wii U. The "ghost look" mode would've worked well with the Upad too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So far that scan is the only one available: I'm wondering if the whole articles has some gameplay images or if it's just artworks and screenshots for the anime.

Cipherr

Yeah, I remember watching the stream where they showed this game and its footage. It was the only thing that looked interesting. That other time game or whatever looked pretty bad. Ninokuni PS3 looked good too I guess, but this game looked interesting.

Shame about 3DS though, the visuals in that footage were crisp as hell and out of the 3DS's league from what I remember. I'm not saying the 3DS cannot do the style justice, I'm just saying I dont really buy that it was test footage on no specific platform. I'm thinking it was probably WiiU/PS3 or something and they decided to switch it to the 3DS since that conference.

I'm thinking it was probably WiiU/PS3 or something and they decided to switch it to the 3DS since that conference.
Not unprecedented for Level-5, Ninokuni started out as a console game before going to DS (though the console version still came in time). I could see the same happening for Youkai Watch, especially since Level-5 seems to be going more multiplatform these days (Time Travelers, LBXW).

A later "big brother" Wii U version could also make sense, like Ninokuni PS3 or the (pre-Strikers) Inazuma Eleven Break.

Parallax

Not unprecedented for Level-5, Ninokuni started out as a console game before going to DS (though the console version still came in time). I could see the same happening for Youkai Watch, especially since Level-5 seems to be going more multiplatform these days (Time Travelers, LBXW).

A later "big brother" Wii U version could also make sense, like Ninokuni PS3 or the (pre-Strikers) Inazuma Eleven Break.

How similar were ni no kuni and inazuma between their portable and console versions?

When have they stopped doing that though?
Same basic story (though the PS3 version goes on longer, it's more like Ninokuni DS 1.5) but graphics and gameplay were totally redone.

It was going to be the same for IE Break originally iirc, it was going to be an IE1 remake.

Parallax

Same basic story (though the PS3 version goes on longer, it's more like Ninokuni DS 1.5) but graphics and gameplay were totally redone.

It was going to be the same for IE Break originally iirc, it was going to be an IE1 remake.

Huh. So I wonder why they got console/portable variants/ports, and not the series.

Most of that footage is anime. The only part that shows actual gameplay the 3DS looks like it could handle fine.

FgQQp.png

OH SHIT MUTHA FUCKA, I knew it reminded me of something!

I was convinced it was a Wii U game considering the silence, but this is great as well. :)

I hope Ushiro might get revived on 3DS, looks really interesting and pretty, when I heard the name while ago, I assumed it turned into LBW (propbably since it was a PSP game). but nope, looks nice and has that crazy-scary look but isn't freaky as shit which I like. :p

I'll even take a LBW 3DS-style port, just take what you have and bring it, but bonus points if they redo it from the ground up.

You think Ushiro will ever be revived for whatever platform?

Now how about some localizations guyz? This, LBW 3DS, Fantasy Life (most likely of the bunch), Time Travellers, and at least the 6-pack Inazuma Eleven game for NA? :( Don't sit on all of this money. :(

I also hope Inazume Eleven Break gets revived on Wii U, or at least we get a similar game that's an RPG, but I'd also love to see an original big RPG on Wii U, but I feel that's quite likely actually.

Now to just see how Youkai Watch actually looks on the 3DS, as far as if the video can be done, possibly, I mean Capcom is god on the 3DS, but I would't call Level 5 uber hardware pushers, would you?

The only additional Level 5 localizations I can see in the near future (ie: 2013) are:

Little Battlers eXperience (3DS)
Fantasy Life (3DS)
More Guild series on eShop (Bug Tank!)
Inazuma Eleven 3/Go/Go Strikers (DS/3DS/Wii) EU only
Layton Bros: Mystery Room (iOS)
Layton V Wright (3DS)

CronoShot

Basically looks like a good-looking Wii game. Nothing the 3DS couldn't handle I believe. Wouldn't be as clean looking, obviously.

Takao

Banned
I hope Ushiro might get revived on 3DS, looks really interesting and pretty, when I heard the name while ago, I assumed it turned into LBW (propbably since it was a PSP game). but nope, looks nice and has that crazy-scary look but isn't freaky as shit which I like. :p

Ushiro and LBX were both announced for PSP on the same day, so there shouldn't ever be confusion over one becoming the other, lol. As for Ushiro getting revived, if it were that would be a game that would make sense on healthy PlayStation hardware given the target demo for that is older than the kids who play Inazuma, and stuff. That said, given it's been years since we've last heard about it I doubt there's any chance at a revival on any platform.

Ushiro and LBX were both announced for PSP on the same day, so there shouldn't ever be confusion over one becoming the other, lol. As for Ushiro getting revived, if it were that would be a game that would make sense on healthy PlayStation hardware given the target demo for that is older than the kids who play Inazuma, and stuff. That said, given it's been years since we've last heard about it I doubt there's any chance at a revival on any platform.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS had a much older base right now. I don't think any developer is looking at the 3DS as a kid's machine.

Floex

Never heard of this game until, looks great! Level 5 do more of this stuff, infact Japan, do more of this stuff

Parallax

The only additional Level 5 localizations I can see in the near future (ie: 2013) are:

Little Battlers eXperience (3DS)
Fantasy Life (3DS)
More Guild series on eShop (Bug Tank!)
Inazuma Eleven 3/Go/Go Strikers (DS/3DS/Wii) EU only
Layton Bros: Mystery Room (iOS)
Layton V Wright (3DS)

I wouldnt doubt the psn version coming out as well. For some reason they are still coming

Top Bottom