• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch releasing in the West next year

zeromcd73

http://www.zakzak.co.jp/economy/ecn-news/news/20140816/ecn1408161528003-n3.htm

Hino, president of level-5, says that Youkai Watch is being planned to be released in the west next year. They already have a toy company ready to support the series and think that the success of the series is guaranteed.

「妖怪ウォッチ」も、先輩格に続いての海外市場進出を視野に入れている。

「来年を目途に世界展開する予定。日本らしいファンタジーとしての魅力があると考えている。すでに海外の玩具メーカーなどから『絶対に成功する』とのお墨付きも得ている」と日野氏。
"In regards too foreign markets, we have been taking a look at it in regards to Yokai Watch. We are in development planning to release it sometime next year. We think it has a big appeal as a very Japanese-ish fantasy story. We already have support from a foreign toy maker company saying that it will be a definite success."

RalchAC

Those are some really nice news. Would Nintendo or Namco be the publisher? Have they a contract ready for the anime series (distributor + TV channels) in the most important territories? It'd be really interesting to see if it can emulate Pokemon success in the West as it did in Japan.

L~A

It would be nice to point out where exactly in the interview Akihiro Hino says all that, and actually translate the excerpt. Thanks :)

chrono01

OMG YES!!

iAMqJRuVvp3ai.gif

This is incredible news. This is one title I was really hoping would be localized for NA, so I'm glad to see it officially confirmed. Of course, given its popularity, they'd be insane not to bring it over, but still...

I'll definitely pre-order/purchase this immediately.

1 + 2 double pack would probably make a ton of people who are on the fence buy it. But this isn't going to happen, it will be 1 next year, and we will always be 2 behind Japan (if it is successful in the West).

On the other hand, this makes me happy! I will likely buy it day one.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Sweeet, been interested since it exploded in popularity in Japan.
Hoping it's Yokai Watch 2 since I've heard that you don't really need to play the first but they will surely start with the first game anyway. For numbering reasons that may be for the best.

upandaway

It would be nice to point out where exactly in the interview Akihiro Hino says all that, and actually translate the excerpt. Thanks :)
This part? (page 3)
「来年を目途に世界展開する予定。日本らしいファンタジーとしての魅力があると考えている。すでに海外の玩具メーカーなどから『絶対に成功する』とのお墨付きも得ている」と日野氏。

zeromcd73

「妖怪ウォッチ」も、先輩格に続いての海外市場進出を視野に入れている。

"In regards too foreign markets, we have been taking a look at it in regards to Yokai Watch. We are in development planning to release it sometime next year. We think it has a big appeal as a very Japanese-ish fantasy story. We already have support from a foreign toy maker company saying that it will be a definite success."

L~A

^

Hopefully/Probably Nintendo. Their collaborations with Level-5 have all been successful so that'd be the most logical choice.

"In regards too foreign markets, we have been taking a look at it in regards to Yokai Watch. We think it has a big appeal as a very Japanese-ish fantasy story. We already have support from a foreign toy maker company saying that it will be a definite success."

Cheers!

Though I wouldn't take that as an actual announcement, this is definitely great news. Hopefully they'll be able to go all the way through!

I can't wait.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think we will get the 2nd game, because they retell the story of the first game at the beginning of it and they made a bunch of improvements to the game - being 2 games behind like with Inazuma 11 isnt a good thing at the end of a sytem life cycle. Hope they go for YW 2.

L~A

I think we will get the 2nd game, because they retell the story of the first game at the beginning of it and they made a bunch of improvements to the game - being 2 games behind like with Inazuma 11 isnt a good thing at the end of a sytem life cycle. Hope they go for YW 2.

They're not gonna skip the first one (they didn't do it for IE, why should YW be any different?), and neither should they.

zeromcd73

^

Hopefully/Probably Nintendo. Their collaborations with Level-5 have all been successful so that'd be the most logical choice.

Cheers!

Though I wouldn't take that as an actual announcement, this is definitely great news. Hopefully they'll be able to go all the way through!

I can't wait.

It's just an interview and not an official announcement, so things could certainly fall through. I also added a bit more after you quoted me since I forgot a bit >.>

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They're not gonna skip the first one (they didn't do it for IE, why should YW be any different?), and neither should they.

Well they didnt retold the story of the first in IE 2 and the first IE game is a longer game then YW1 - we will see, but i think they should release the most recent versions of the game if possible, especially if its the better game.

In many ways L5 has developed YW2 as a "first experience" to the Yokai Watch lore/world so them skipping the first experimental game wouldnt be that shocking to me. We will see.

AniHawk

the 3ds's us library in 2015-2016 will be long-held off localizations, bravely second, majora's mask 3d, and codename steam. wouldn't be surprised if dragon quest vii was thrown into the mix for next year.

i hope there are more though. lots of stuff got stuck in japan. like a lot. like for reals.

Forkball

I bet Yokai Watch 3 comes out in Japan before YW1 comes out in the west.

I recently beat YW2 and it is an amazing game. I am still trying to make sense of the huge amount of post-game content. It is certainly something to look out for.

ekim

Is this the game that sold like hotcakes when it released in JP? Is there a appendant tv series and if yes, will this also come to the west?

ohlawd

it's probably the first one

I'd rather get the second since impressions make it sound like it's an improvement over the first in every aspect

will buy both.

chrono01

Is this the game that sold like hotcakes when it released in JP? Is there a appendant tv series and if yes, will this also come to the west?
There's an anime series, although no confirmation as to whether we'll get that too.

As for the first question, yes. This is the title that forced many Japanese gamers to line up resulting is some incredibly long lines which, in-turn, sold many...many copies. Here's hoping they get the same success here.

Ha, nice. Very much looking forward to this!

It's going to be interesting to see if it catches on in the west, given that it's steeped in Japanese folklore and culture.

kubus

WHAT
WHAT THE FUCK

You can't be making this shit up. I literally JUST finalized my order of Youkai Watch import on Nipponyasan and the very next thing I do is go from the "order confirmed" page to GAF and see this topic on the freaking top of the page.

ffffffffffffffffffffffff----

chrono01

WHAT
WHAT THE FUCK

You can't be making this shit up. I literally JUST finalized my order of Youkai Watch import on Nipponyasan and the very next thing I do is go from the "order confirmed" page to GAF and see this topic on the freaking top of the page.

ffffffffffffffffffffffff----
image.php

Top Bottom