• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Frankenstein is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
a2USJ.jpg

It was made 8 years before I was born but its one of my favorite movies (It even has a 94% on RT!). Its not one of my favorite comedies but one of my favorite films in general due to the play-it-straight comedy that Wilder and Brooks went for. I can't imagine it cost much at all to make judging by the lack of location shooting. If you can recall the lines from the screen caps you are my friend. And if anyone can explain the exchange between Dr Frankensteen and the boy at the train station please explain the joke to me. To this day I still dont get his reaction to "Want a shine?"

3nffm.jpg

Vbz21.jpg

x4tMb.png

I use this film as an example of behavior not to engage in at work. I refer to it as Young Frankenstein Syndrome. Anytime an employee makes a statement like "Man, can this day get any worse?" or simliar I panic and remind them of Young Frankenstein.

http://youtu.be/9AFf0ysgNiM

Young Frankenstein is one of those films that gets better with each viewing. There is so much going on in it that it takes several times for it all to sink in, and almost every time there is something new discovered.

Sobriquet

From the song "Chattanooga Choo Choo" by Glenn Miller

Pardon me, boy
Is that the Chattanooga choo choo?
Track twenty-nine
Boy, you can gimme a shine

Mel Brooks was a genius at incorporating that naive childish slapstick kind of humor and still making it funny for adult audiences. It's screwball comedies like his and Naked Gun that I do dearly miss in this day and age.

"How many times have I TOLD you not to interrupt me when IM WORKING?!

chiQ

New this was a favourite, when I was a little tootsie, long before I understood it at all. When I grew up again I watched it again and suddenly so much more made sense to me. Awesome film _b

New this was a favourite, when I was a little tootsie, long before I understood it at all. When I grew up again I watched it again and suddenly so much more made sense to me. Awesome film _b

Bingo. As a pre-teen, it was funny. As an adult, it is so much more

Stay close to ze candles. Ze staircase cannn be treacherous.

(Just wrapping up the OP quotes.)

Anyway, an underquoted exchange:

"I'll never forget my old dad. When these things would happen to him, the things he'd say to me."
"Oh? What did he say?"
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THE BATHROOM ALL DAY AND NIGHT?? GET OUT OF THERE AND GIVE SOMEONE ELSE A CHANCE!"

Clydefrog

Let me out. Let me out of here. Get me the hell out of here. What's the matter with you people? I was joking! Don't you know a joke when you hear one? HA-HA-HA-HA. Jesus Christ, get me out of here! Open this goddamn door or I'll kick your rotten heads in! Mommy!

Saw this movie a couple days ago on netflix with a couple of friends. I can get behind this kind of humor in a movie. It was enjoyable for sure

Igor: You know, I'll never forget my old dad. When these things would happen to him... the things he'd say to me.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What did he say?
Igor: "What the hell are you doing in the bathroom day and night? Why don't you get out of there and give someone else a chance?"

the chris

Inga: Werewolf!
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Werewolf?
Igor: There.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What?
Igor: There, wolf. There, castle.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Why are you talking that way?
Igor: I thought you wanted to.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, I don't want to.
Igor: [shrugs] Suit yourself. I'm easy.

"Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"

"Coitainly, you take the blonde, I'll take the one in the toiban."

In fact that whole scene was brilliant. Gene's hushing sound is done all of the time within my family as well as SEDAGIVE?!?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZybFl_pfMk

Ha, we do this too! "Ahh wedonmemvemrevnemr"

Fun trivia fact: Hackman ad libbed "I was gonna make espresso!"

(Fun trivia fact you already knew: that was Gene Hackman)

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Love this movie so much.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.
Igor: What hump?

One of Mel's best movies, without a doubt. I've seen it so many times but the most recent, which was at a Halloween party last year, was the best experience I've had with this movie yet. Everyone was really getting into it and enjoying it. One guy who was already quite familiar with the film was laughing so hysterically throughout the whole movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom