• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Budweiser will be brewed with renewable energy by 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/03/30/your-budweiser-brewed-renewable-energy-2025/99815814/
Anheuser-Busch InBev, the massive Belgian beer maker, pledges all of its purchased electricity will come from renewable sources by the year 2025.

That means in eight years your cold Budweiser, Stella Artois or Corona — among the company's offerings — will be made with renewable energy, such as wind or solar power.

About 7% of the company's electricity currently comes from renewable sources. The company has 264 breweries with about 200,000 employees in more than 50 countries. If achieved, 6 terawatt-hours of the company's electricity would become renewable, or the amount of energy produced annually by 400 soccer fields of solar panels.

The company said its primary renewable energy sources will be wind and solar energy, but may change depending on the market. Its renewable energy will come mostly from power purchase agreements and on-site technologies. Renewable energy is defined by the U.S. Energy Information Administration as finite energy sources that regenerate, the most popular being solar, wind, geothermal, hydropower and biomass energies.

AB InBev is a member of RE100, a group of 89 companies across the globe dedicated to going "100% renewable." Several other well-known companies are RE100 members, including Apple, which, in 2015, used 93% renewable energy; IKEA, which is committed to producing as much renewable energy as the energy its buildings consume by 2020; and Coca-Cola, which hopes to power all of its operations with renewable electricity by 2020.

Poppy

lel does that mean they are going to reharvest it directly from our bladders xd

actually that would be cool if there was a turn in program and you could send cans of your bud urine back to have the bad parts stripped out, very earth friendly

Me in 2017: I am going to make every possible life change to help combat Climate Change!

Me, after reading this: ......almost every possible life change.

Going fully recycled:

6501511020-washbrook-urinal.png

I think Budweiser is fine. I kid.

Saganator

I wonder how many dipshits see this and decide to not drink Bud anymore. It sounds ridiculous but I wouldn't be surprised.

"I ain't gone drink no libtard beer made with that BS renewable energy! If my beer ain't powered by good ole fashioned american coal, then I ain't gonna drink it"

They need to be zero waste as well, it's actually pretty simple to do for breweries. Sierra Nevada, for example, produces zero waste in it's manufacturing process.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I wonder how many dipshits see this and decide to not drink Bud anymore. It sounds ridiculous but I wouldn't be surprised.

"I ain't gone drink no libtard beer made with that BS renewable energy! If my beer ain't powered by good ole fashioned american coal, then I ain't gonna drink it"

Most of the mother fuckers who say this kind of thing are probably so dumb that they'll just drink another brand of beer that is owned by the same damn company as Budweiser and think they're really sticking it too the man.

DBT85

Ahh, rather than celebrating a company for reducing the carbon footprint we instead go "lol budweiser though".

Good on them.

Poppy

hope it was clear i was being deliberately hacky, i dont dislike bud even. generally i drink corona for my six pack sensibilities

so yes good for them

sgjackson

considering how much i've heard about the dropping price of renewables recently i wouldn't be surprised if we see more stories like this putting a positive spin on a no-brainer cost cutting measure.

Ahh, rather than celebrating a company for reducing the carbon footprint we instead go "lol budweiser though".

Good on them.

I mean, obviously it's great and I hope more companies do the same, but no one here is suggesting it's a bad decision, and NeoGAF doesn't have the power to discourage the biggest brewery to not go clean.

It's just easy to make fun of bad beer, ya know?

Neo C.

considering how much i've heard about the dropping price of renewables recently i wouldn't be surprised if we see more stories like this putting a positive spin on a no-brainer cost cutting measure.

That's my take as well. IIRC, in Europe the price for energy can drop (on rare occasions) to negative thanks to the renewables, which means you actually can get money for using energy.
Every smart company is going to invest in solar, wind and batteries.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Budweiser is refreshing when you only have one or two and the life of the beer is like less than a week old. I've had some in their tasting room in STL and there was a vague bitterness of hops that I was able to pick up on that would likely dissipate within days or weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom