• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your dream licensed game and the developer making it

GreyHorace

As it says in the title, what's the one licensed property you hope becomes a videogame? And who's the developer you want to make it? I have two:

p06pvbx8.jpg

Seven Samurai by KOEI Tecmo - I imagine this adaptation of Akira Kurosawa's legendary film to be a third person hack n' slash game much in the vein KOEI's Dynasty Warriors series. Except there won't be an endless stream of enemies flooding the screen, but as in the film, just 40 bandits to kill. And with that combat is much more difficult, with a melee system more akin to Ubisoft's From Honor. Add to that you have to command a group of farmers you've organized into a militia to defend their village, which is a large open area that you have to defend just like in the film. With that comes building defenses such as walls, flooded moats and others using what limited resources you have. There would also be limited RTS controls much like the Kingdom Under Fire games to command so strategy is key. Plan poorly and it's permadeath for each one of the samurai just like in the film.

tumblr_nbu3srS38D1tn0l3wo3_500.jpg

Captain Alatriste by Rockstar Games - From cowboys to swashbucklers, this adaptation of the Arturo Perez Reverte novels wouldn't be much of a stretch for Rockstar, as it deals with a morally grey antihero in a setting ripe with intrigue and violence. They can make 17th century Madrid an open world full of unsavoury tasks for the title character to undertake. While he does this he encounters various characters like a typical Rockstar title ranging from lowly cutthroats, scheming nobles, and worst of all, fanatics of the Spanish Inquisition. Rockstar would have to change their focus from shooting to melee combat though, but I think they could pull it off.

Last edited:

klosos

i would like to see The Thing made by Creative assembly after Alien isolation they are the only one up for the task.

also Donnie Brasco / the Departed by Rockstar in the Style of La Noire , two characters one Bad cop , one undercover cop

GreyHorace

A proper John Wick shooter, as a spiritual successor to Max Payne.
Maybe by Rockstar?
And just like how Max Payne managed to successfully The Matrix's bullet time concept into videogames, this John Wick game would feature a revolutionary interface that seamlessly blends melee and gun combat, much like the movies.

System Shock 3 by Irrational (sad) or Arkane.
Weren't they making a new System Shock? I remember reading somewhere that there were plans to make one, and from Warren Spector no less.

Here's the news btw, coupled with details on the Enhanced edition of System Shock 2.

Book of the New Sun, handled by FROM Software or by Monolith Soft Inc.
Interesting premise from what I've read. It's very much a post apoc scifi fantasy that would certainly fit From Software's aesthetic.

i would like to see The Thing made by Creative assembly after Alien isolation they are the only one up for the task.

also Donnie Brasco / the Departed by Rockstar in the Style of La Noire , two characters one Bad cop , one undercover cop
Not really a fan of horror, but given how amazing Alien Isolation was I can't think of a better team to make a The Thing game than Creative Assembly.

And I like the idea of The Departed (or Infernal Affairs as it's originally known in Hong Kong) as a videogame. But add a coop mode much like Jospeh Fares A Way Out without the splitscreen. It'd be a game of cat and mouse as each player figures out who is rat in the mob and the police respectively.

Last edited:

HelpYouFall

Berserk - PlatinumGames

The whole From Soft and Berserk link is there as well obviously and talked to death, but I do feel that considering Berserk is a manga/anime and post Eclipse/berserker armor Guts does some CRAZY shit, it would actually make more sense in a PlatinumGames type of game. I don't see Godmode Guts meshing all that well with your traditional From Soft type of gameplay, but of course Miyazaki is a madman and a genius when it comes to creating mechanics that work.

As long as it's not like that boring musou game, I'm good.

Last edited:
A Robocop Lightgun game, by 90's Sega or Namco.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers, by Telltale before they spread themselves too thin.
The Warriors, by 90's Sega.
Mutant League any sport, by Bitmap Brothers.

Birdo

Banned
"They Live" by Rockstar.

Sneak around a city looking for those sneaky aliens and take them out without attracting too much attention.

Lots of potential conspiracy fun.

Hudo

Platinum Games X Star Wars Sith game.

Also:

Obsidian Entertainment X Dune RPG/Political strategy game.
Alternatively, Obisidan Entertainment Y Star Trek RPG Adventure/Ship commander game.

Lastly:

Harebrained Schemes: Either Battletech 2 set during the first Clan Invasion or MechCommander 3.

Edit: Maybe Yuji Horii and his team could try themselves on a proper Dragon Ball RPG in the vein of Dragon Quest? He already works with Toriyama, afterall.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Berserk - PlatinumGames

The whole From Soft and Berserk link is there as well obviously and talked to death, but I do feel that considering Berserk is a manga/anime and post Eclipse/berserker armor Guts does some CRAZY shit, it would actually make more sense in a PlatinumGames type of game. I don't see Godmode Guts meshing all that well with your traditional From Soft type of gameplay, but of course Miyazaki is a madman and a genius when it comes to creating mechanics that work.

As long as it's not like that boring musou game, I'm good.
Guts is pratically superhuman. So he'd make more sense in a Platinum game rather than FromSoft title.

The Warriors, by 90's Sega.
Didn't Rockstar Games already make a pretty good Warriors title?

"They Live" by Rockstar.

Sneak around a city looking for those sneaky aliens and take them out without attracting too much attention.

Lots of potential conspiracy fun.
The highlight being the Keith David bossfight! :messenger_beaming:

molasar

Banned
Aliens (1986 film); 2D top down twin stick shooter by Team 17 + Rebellion Developments
Rambo 1-3 films; 3D TPP dynamic arcadey stealth action open world shooter by Kojima Productions + Platinum Games
Lone Wolf and Cub (manga, new manga, 1-6 films); 2D beat'em up by Capcom + SNK + Sega
Conan (Schwarzenegger films); 2D beat'em up by Capcom + SNK + Sega
Terminator 1-2 films; 3D TPP dynamic arcadey stealth action open world shooter by Kojima Productions + Platinum Games
The Thing (1982 film); 3D TPP fixed camera survival horror by Capcom

Last edited:

Ryu_Joestar

Hunter x Hunter or JoJo fighting game by ArcSys, in the style of Dragon Ball Fighterz

A Lupin the Third Stealth/TPS by Platinum Games

Castlevania/Berserk game by From Software

Guardians of The Galaxy open world title by Insomniac

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
a Blade Runner game made by Naughty Dogs, story focused adventure but with an open ended world where you play as a detective and you pretty much have to explore locations and aparments, read emails, etc. to uncover whatever but also some action and platforming has to be included as well.

HelpYouFall

Some more:

- a Kenshin fighting game by Arc System Works
- a Spawn game by id Software
- a Star Wars Diablo-like ARPG by either Blizzard or GGG
- a Saga (comic) open world RPG by Bungie

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Just off the top of my head, a Marvel vs. DC fighting game that contained as many characters as possible, developed by Arc. Sorry Capcom but you just aren't interested in 2D animation the way Arc is. MvC 3 was nice, but I know Arc could make a 2.5D fighter that more closely resembled the source materials.

I watched a video on Arc's 3D/2D style found in XRD last night, and it was great. They don't get enough credit for completely making 2D anime come alive in their games - as far as I'm concerned no one else even comes close to what they have achieved with their animators.

Last edited:

Stimpak

Altered Carbon made by CD Projekt Red or Kojima if he wanted to tackle a licensed project.

I’d want the game to focus on being an envoy and needle casting into enemy worlds. You’d have to build a resistance, track your targets and stay undetected lest risking abandoning the planet. There would be a balance between maintaining your cover, and keeping allies you care about alive.

It’d be kinda like MGS5 gameplay, but you’re infiltrating planets and changing character models due to the source material.

I can’t get enough Sci-Fi Games.

Vawn

Banned
I'll be made of for this, but I don't care. The Netflix revival of She-Ra would make an awesome RPG.

7.8] - 20 minutes

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Gravity rush by Nintendo & Japan Studio

Scott Pilgrim By Wayfoward

Onechanbara by Platinum games

Ninja Gaiden by Platinum Games

Halo by Monolith Productions

F-zero by Retro studios

Fbh

Oh, also. A Jojo Bizarre adventures game by Yoko Taro.

All these Jojo games seem to go for a fighters which I guess makes sense as the show/manga is mostly about a variety of characters fighting each other. But IMO the fighting genre can't really do the show/manga justice because a lot of the more fun fights and abilities aren't just about who hits harder or who is better in straight up 1vs1 fight.
There's people who make illusions, or attacks that only work under specific conditions like "anyone moving to a lower position", or stuff like being able to make everyone around you grow old and weak or steal souls but only if the person in question loses a bet, etc.

Yoko Taro is great at taking advantage of gaming as a genre to do unique things with both the gameplay and storytelling, so I bet he'd be great at making every stand and every fight feel unique. Imagine if he was allowed to make a unique non canon part that only exists in videogame format, working together with Araki to create stands and abilities designed to be beaten in unique ways

Top Bottom