• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite Final Fantasy villain ?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'm definitely going to be in the minority here, but I would sing the praises of Vayne Solidor any day.

Sure, he's nowhere near as immediately dangerous as the likes of Kefka and Sephiroth. He does not swing an impossibly stupid sword around while speaking with the unfiltered sexiness of Liam O'Brien's voice like Caius. He doesn't make your skin crawl as much as Seymour does with his visible open chest and a bit of his midriff. He doesn't look as fabulous as Kuja or enjoy Mortal Kombat as much as Ultimecia does. He's also not something as awesomely silly as a warlock made out of a tree like Exdeath.

But he doesn't have to be. Vayne is his own thing, and an atypical type of antagonist at that for the franchise. He's a cold, calculating, machinating political idealist, but his overall goal is arguably noble and utilitarian. Allow man, under the helm of a strong leader, naturally, to write its own destiny without the chains of divine design. Subjugation and destruction is a necessary evil to attain a better Ivalice, Vayne would reckon.

Sure, he shares no real personal connection with anyone in your party, and nor does he have that constant presence that other villains enjoy, but for the type of story posited by FFXII, Vayne works well for it. He doesn't break any new ground, and he's a bit cookie cutter for an antagonist of his tropes, but neither is he a rubbish villain with nothing worth talking about, as detractors often say about him. Do we have to hate a villain on a sort of personal level in relation to the main character? Does a villain have to be unambiguously evil to be good? Of course not. In many ways, you can argue that Vayne can be subtly more dangerous than others precisely because he isn't unambiguously evil, and because he has the honeyed words and oratory skills to soothe the burning anger and frustration of subjugated citizens (see the cutscene where he makes his maiden speech in Rabanastre as Consul), so he can easily bend and manipulate people to his cause.

I feel that Gaius van Baelsar in FFXIV shares some similarities, but unfortunately, the narrative is nowhere near strong enough to convey the character across well. At best, he appears in the final dungeon to exposit EVERYTHING at you in a cutscene that new players tend to skip, to avoid being left behind by a party dead set on rushing through it. But ultimately, Vayne is more dangerous than the Legatus, because for one, he wields absolute power unlike the Roman general, and because while Gaius is played like a fiddle by one immortal entity, Vayne has a close, working relationship with an immortal demigod.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

iu

A shame that the story is so convoluted.

Zephir

Marche from FFT Advance because he really goes out of his way to negate everybody's happy life. Yea, I know, fantasy ,reality, etcetera...but really, don't be such a buzzkill!

Anywaaay, real ones...Delita, Ardyn and Caius

TheAssist

I think Ardyn is a really good villian, if youread up on his back story and suddenly realize "Wait, did he win in the end? Holy shit, I think he did :O"

Unfortunately the game fumbles so hard in its story telling that most people will never realize this

Moochi

Everyone not saying Sephiroth because that's the obvious choice. Guy brought serious gravitas every time he was on screen in the OG. His mysterious sub-plot with Jenova hinted at the dark supernatural in an H.P Lovecraft way. His entrances and themes are so iconic they've become cringy, but in FF7 Remake, I still got some chills whenever he appeared (except the end, which was just too much of a plot twist without enough foreshadowing, and too long of a fight to make him feel menacing. They made it easy enough and damage wasn't spiky, so you know you're going to beat him. A fight like the last guy on Sekiro would have been baller and done his character right.)

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Kefka, Caius, Zenos, and Emet Selch are all great in their own way. Yotsuyu and Nidhogg were also pretty good, but it's cheating if I list everyone from XIV.

Rexket

Neo Member
Kuja. Unlike a lot of the other villains, he has to work and scheme while being at a disadvantage. When he comes out on top, he was one step away from wiping out reality after destroying a planet.

Top Bottom