• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite JRPG composer of the 1990s & 2000s ?

Best jrpg composer of the 1990s - 2000s ?

• NOBUO UEMATSU (Final Fantasy series; Lost Odyssey; Blue Dragon)

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • YASUNORI MITSUDA (Chrono series, Xenogears, Xenosaga series, Shadow Hearts series)

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • KOICHI SUGIYAMA (Dragon Quest series)

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • HITOSHI SAKIMOTO (Final Fantasy Tactics; Final Fantasy XII; Vagrant Story; Odin)

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • HIROKI KIKUTA (Seiken Densetsu series)

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • SHOJI MEGURO (Shin Megami Tensei series)

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • MOTOI SAKURABA (Tales Of series; Golden Sun series; Valkyrie Profile; Star Ocean)

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • MASAHI HAMAUZU (Final Fantasy X; Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII; Saga Frontier 2)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • YOKO SHIMOMURA (Kingdom Hearts series; Parasite Eve; Legend of Mana)

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • TAKEHARU ISHIMOTO (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII; The World Ends With You; Final Fantasy: Dissidia)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Basically impossible for me to vote for anyone other than Uematsu, however TWEWY soundtrack helped make TWEWY what it is.

Last edited:

Derift

Motoi Sakaruba

the piano solo in tales of phantasia has stuck with me till this day

I actually used it for my music project in secondary school

Thabass

Uematsu is the obvious choice here, but there is something to be said about Mitsuda and Shimomora. I love both of them too. But...it's UEMATSU PEOPLE!

Furball

I think sakimoto would get more love if more people had played his games/heard his music.

Unfortunately , most of his game are niche or bomb in term of sale , even the anime . Out of old composer from Square Soft , He is definitely the most consistent composer in term of quality and expand his style further during those years . Many people surely dont know he can even rock

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'd have to go Uematsu as well. The others are great but he has the biggest impact on video game music. I'm kind of surprised I can't remember the music from a lot of the other artists. I think the only series I've never played a game in is the seiken densetsu so that was an automatic out.

Top Bottom