Your favorite lesser-known arcade games?

Jan 17, 2007
14,873
3
945
When I was in Tokyo, one of my arcade faves was Espgaluda. That game was fun as hell. Great manic shooter from Cave. I even got a poster of it for free at a video game store!
 
Jan 17, 2007
2,067
0
0
I think the title is Armored Warriors by Capcom - it's a "final fight" version of Cyberbots where the enemies you destroy will leave "parts" that you actually use. This was amazing for it's time because of all the combinations of parts you can have for your characters which changes the way you play the game. Capcom should release an anthology since the Cyberbot universe is their IP. Loved Cyberbots as well.
 

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Jun 9, 2004
15,532
0
0
SE DC
DoubleTap said:
I think the title is Armored Warriors by Capcom - it's a "final fight" version of Cyberbots where the enemies you destroy will leave "parts" that you actually use. This was amazing for it's time because of all the combinations of parts you can have for your characters which changes the way you play the game. Capcom should release an anthology since the Cyberbot universe is their IP. Loved Cyberbots as well.



Capcom pixel artists > *
 
Jul 23, 2005
13,585
1
0
Cadash has already been mentioned, but I really liked that one. Multiplayer was great, especially when you were greedy to get the health powerups after a tough battle/sequence.

Others that are (I think) lesser-known:

Splatterhouse - lots of people know about this and have since played it, but it was rare in arcades.

Hippodrome - arena single-plane SF-style combat... really stiff by today's standards, but it held its own with SF1 back in the day... I remember the characters you fought having pretty cool attacks and death animations.
 

Kirk

Member
Nov 27, 2006
394
0
0
Hmmm...I don't see any mention of Tiger Road...it was pretty cool, really hard.



Seconds:

Black Tiger

Numan Athletics

Snow Brothers (pretty well known?)

Cadash

Strikeforce...for the longest time I thought I was the only person who had ever played this game.





...Man, that Dark Seal looks familiar...I think I played that. Looks awesome.

...And Armored Warriors looks sweet. Wish I had gotten the chance to play it.
 
Oct 7, 2006
1,926
0
0
Trakdown said:
Operation Thunderbolt


Sequel to Operation Wolf, with two player support. I remember it for the loud voice you heard upon dying:

"YOU ARE DEAD."

oh hell YES.



Twin Eagle by Seta, Romstar, Taito



the bonus rounds between levels where you fight Mig-29 jets, at jet speed, featured an awesome (for the time) hard-rock soundtrack with vocals...something like "Wa Wa Wa !"
or "Yeah Yeah Yeah!"
 
Jun 20, 2004
662
0
1,265

Star Rider -
a laserdisc-based game that was actually good. It used the laserdisc images as a background (and would pan and scan as you turned left and right), then superimposed bitmap graphics for the other racers.

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/pages/sr.asp

Funny that the imagery generated for the game cost much $$$ and took ages, but nowadays consoles could probably run the imagery in the game, in real-time, at hundreds of frames per second. Progress! :)







Link to video: http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/materials/audiovideo/sr.asp
 
Mar 28, 2005
702
0
0
Android18a said:
*waves Twinbee flags*

Anyone who hasn't played a Twinbee arcade game is missing out sooo much. Get the PSP compilation disc!
i'd like pop'n'twin bee on the virtual console

two player simultaneous too!!
 

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sep 11, 2005
31,447
0
1,255
33
los angeles
khan said:
Does this apply? Cadillac and the Dinosaur
seeing this game reminds me of how i was such a hardcore capcom/snk fanboy back in the day. hell, i got a sega cd because there was a cadillacs and dinosaur game on it. i was quite pissed when i found out it wasnt, but i was devoted.

one of my favorite non capcom games, toki
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ucuLmv4hoI4
 
TheIkariWarrior said:
oh hell yes, mofos :D
That game had such an awesome soundtrack.

Also one of the bosses was a couple of giant Baboons who threw skulls...wtf?

Speaking of games based on the Vietnam war.

NAM-1975



Had loads of fun with this one. It's a bit frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it it's a fun ride(cept for the final boss that gives you a bad ending if you game over on him)
The cutscenes are also a hoot, reminds me of movies like Apocalypse Now and such.



Andrew2 said:
Why Capcom haven't brought this game to XBLA or PSN I don't know...
Capcom no longer has the rights to Dungeons & Dragons, same reason why none of their other license-based beatemups ever saw a re-release.
 

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sep 14, 2005
43,287
0
0
35
Osaka, Japan
www.playism-games.com
Lucky and Wild



The perfect mixture of light gun game and faux racing, Lucky and Wild was the ultimate cop chase simulator. Player 1 drove the car and fired a gun, while Player 2 sat shotgun, assisting the driver in shooting criminals.

(sadly, that photo is a sorry excuse for an LnW cab)

PepsimanVsJoe said:
That game had such an awesome soundtrack.

Also one of the bosses was a couple of giant Baboons who threw skulls...wtf?

Speaking of games based on the Vietnam war.

NAM-1975



Had loads of fun with this one. It's a bit frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it it's a fun ride(cept for the final boss that gives you a bad ending if you game over on him)
The cutscenes are also a hoot, reminds me of movies like Apocalypse Now and such.
Oh Hell yea! Nam 75 rocks. I need to get a copy for my AES one of these days. Not only was it the first AES release, it`s cheap as hell now. In addition, here is one of my personal favorites for AES:



MUTATION NATION BABY YEAA!

EDIT: Shit, totally beaten on Lucky and Wild...should`ve looked up @-@
 
Feb 26, 2007
8
0
0
Munin said:
Heavy Smash.

Awesome Speedball clone with different perspective. Looks great, music's not bad as well and most importantly, plays great, Just tons of fun, although it's not very deep.
Thank you ever so much - I've been scouring the internets for the name of that game for *years*

BATTLE!
 
Oct 7, 2006
1,926
0
0
what was that game...Fox something. pretty cool arcade game also translated to Genesis.... it was a sidescrolling action hero game,, little bit of Contra (well not really), little bit of
Rush N Attack.....


oh yeah, I found it: Thunder Fox



 
Sep 1, 2006
2,639
1
0
Does anyone remember the old school side scrolling RPG back in the early to mid 90's? I believe it was the first and only of its kind. I remember it wasn't popular in the arcades but I LOVED that game and wished they made a console version. I think there was 4 to 6 different heroes and there was a wizard who could cast a force field or shield. There was the typical archer and swordsman I think. I don't remember the rest. If anyone knows the name of the game I would really appreciate it. Also, if this game can be played on EMU on my computer would even be better!!

Found it on page 3, name of the game is Cadash. The other Taito game, where you duel between two players was awesome as well!
 
Oct 7, 2006
1,926
0
0
leehom said:
Does anyone remember the old school side scrolling RPG back in the early to mid 90's? I believe it was the first and only of its kind. I remember it wasn't popular in the arcades but I LOVED that game and wished they made a console version. I think there was 4 to 6 different heroes and there was a wizard who could cast a force field or shield. There was the typical archer and swordsman I think. I don't remember the rest. If anyone knows the name of the game I would really appreciate it. Also, if this game can be played on EMU on my computer would even be better!!

Found it on page 3, name of the game is Cadash. The other Taito game, where you duel between two players was awesome as well!

yup, Cadash, came out in 1989 in arcades.

(released 1991 on PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 - 1992 on MegaDrive-Genesis)


http://klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=7254









I liked the first boss, a giant grey/blackish Jelly, "Black Pudding" :lol

 
Nov 9, 2005
2,172
0
0
Milan, Italy
TheIkariWarrior said:
I've never heard of OutZone before, but from what it looks like, i gotta try it :D
OutZone is a true cult. It also had an unofficial, inferior sequel named Fixeight. Typical Toaplan graphic designs are still common in Cave games, actually a company made by former Toaplan employees.
 
Oct 7, 2006
1,926
0
0
Bill Rizer said:
OutZone is a true cult. It also had an unofficial, inferior sequel named Fixeight. Typical Toaplan graphic designs are still common in Cave games, actually a company made by former Toaplan employees.

thanks for the 411 on OutZone, its unofficial sequel and the Toaplan>< Cave connection :)


while i remember, people should check out The Astyanax, a largely unknown Jaleco game with beautiful artwork/visuals, and completely different from the NES game.



obviously had some similarities to TurboGrafx-16's Legendary Axe.
 

Kirk

Member
Nov 27, 2006
394
0
0
Bill Rizer said:
OutZone is a true cult. It also had an unofficial, inferior sequel named Fixeight. Typical Toaplan graphic designs are still common in Cave games, actually a company made by former Toaplan employees.
Yes. Both OutZone and Fixeight were sweet, I got a lot of play out of both.

Good memories! :)
 
Aug 26, 2004
10,840
171
1,345
Huntusk
www3.telus.net
TheIkariWarrior said:
yup, Cadash, came out in 1989 in arcades.
(released 1991 on PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 - 1992 on MegaDrive-Genesis)
http://klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=7254
Wow I remember that game. I was enthralled by it while on a camping vacation (it was at the lake resort's arcade) but I barely got a chance to play it over the span of a few nights. There are very few things that I feel are futile to try find on Google but that game was one of them; I just didn't remember enough details.

The ninja class is especially what stuck to me when I saw those pictures since it was sort of unique among 3 traditional D&D esque classes.