• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite space battle ever in movies/series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I saw Return of the Jedi as a kid, I get so immensely hyped when I see a good space battle on the big screen. It's what got me into the Sci-Fi genre.

My favorites:

tumblr_m9p8quCuCO1rw5vklo3_400.gif

Return of the Jedi (duh). I seriously don't think this one will ever be topped. It's well edited, fast paced and incredibly tense. Because this one was made with models that actualy exist makes it even better

tumblr_mtvjgwae6F1rzu2xzo4_r1_400.gif

A battle against the Borg? Hype! This one is really short but it looks so epic. I read it was supposed to be much longer, but that would have been very expensive. What we got left with is still very good. And the Defiant is in! Great introduction to the new Enterprise.

image.jpg

I love Firefly, and I love Serenity. The battle at the end is very crowded but you never have the idea you are overwhelmed (like in Jedi). And the cool thing here is that neither side expected a mayor battle here. Mayhem ensues!

h6mRzfv.gif

Battlestar Galactica has some really good moments troughout the show, especially when Galactica and Pegasus team up. I never saw the last season I just remembered.... Maybe I should.

What's your favorites GAF and why?

Wollan

I kinda liked the one in Ender's Game where most ships are just thousands of drones controlled by perfectly-aligning algorithms and tactics. Seems silly to me to have space combat ships controlled by humans.
Similarly I'm getting more disengaged with human infantry in sci-fi unless there's a good reason for it (i.e A.I being abolished in the Dune universe).

Legend of Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars , the defense of Iserlohn Fortress. A space battle at the sound of Bolero's Ravel. The whole thing is deliciously soothing. The Battle of Vermilion in the show is by far the most interesting one but it lacks the finesse of the style of the movie. The whole show is bloody amazing in the construction of operatic space battles. Eighth Battle of Iserlohn where basically two Death Stars fight against one another? C'mon. That's impossible not to love.

Used-ID

I've always like the fight scenes from Macross: Do You Remember Love.

That they bothered putting in the little control thrusters for when the attack craft move/reposition themselves.

Edit: I had forgotten all about legend of galactic heroes. Those were pretty impressive battles

jelly

I loved the Falcon trying to escape in Empire Strikes Back. The way it moves, like a roller coaster. Wish there was a game with that scale and odds.

mcz117chief

My favourite is the one in Ender's Game.

I kinda liked the one in Ender's Game where most ships are just thousands of drones controlled by perfectly-aligning algorithms and tactics. Seems silly to me to have space combat ships controlled by humans.
Similarly I'm getting more disengaged with human infantry in sci-fi unless there's a good reason for it (i.e A.I being abolished in the Dune universe).

QFT, 100% agree with every single word here.

watershed

Banned
Battlestar Galactica's space battles felt the most grounded to me. The damage felt real and the stress was always really high. Every fight felt like it could have been the last. They did a great job communicating the danger and the naval-like nature of the battles.

I never heard of this movie, is it any good outside of the space battle?

golem

I actually thought the Rogue One space battle was sort of boring. It didnt have any characters i cared about participating in it, no cap ship slug fest and was mostly CG nonsense. Hammerhead was cool though

Yeah it's a good sci-fi film. Not particularly dark and the main character is a kid in his early teens with a sometimes shrieky voice but he's still alright. Some will say this-and-that on how well it adapted details of the book but it got the essence down well. I recommend a watch.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ev-nOWJH8

Fantastic movie with some of the best child acting I have seen. I bought it quite recently and already watched it three times.

Cool, will check it out!

the only good one is Kirk v Khan in WoK

This one was damn good, you could feel the tension as the battle went on and on. There was so much emotion behind it.

ROTJ is also top 3 easy, because you can sense the desperation of the rebel fleet as they are woefully outmatched and trapped in a literal turkey shoot.

But no mention of the final big battle in Babylon 5? Was a great way to end the war, seeing as how the alliance went all in in a suicide attack against two other fleets that could have smashed them in a heartbeat.

Those are my top three personally. Honorable mentions:

The already mentioned Borg battle in Star Trek. One of the few times you see how hilariously outmatched the federation is against them.

Final battle in Serenity. An odd situation where it's easy to root for the psycho murdering space cannibals.

The battle to retake DS9, or any big battle in the Dominion War. All of them were very well done.

CQB in The Expanse. It's pretty realistic how combat takes place way beyond visual range. It's also a pivotal moment in the storyline that makes it so memorable.

Up to then Mars was the Big Bad and when the flagship of the Mars Navy shows up you're sure it's them cleaning up. And MRCN looks pretty intimidating until the real baddies show up and you learn almost none of the crew have any real combat experience and once it gets down to it some mysterious third party is more then capable of beating them. Just before self destructing her ship the captain sums it up in "I didn't think we could lose".

LoveCake

As others have said, Star Wars - Death Star of course and Star Trek Deep Space Nine - Sacrifice of Angels, but I will go for Star Trek VI: Battle of Khitomer From The Undiscovered Country, there are only three ships in the battle, but it is one of the best space battles imo more so because you can see it from both perspectives of the commanders/captains of the ships and also the quotes used by General Chang:
"Cry havoc, and let slip the Dogs of War."
Can you see me? Oh, now be honest, Captain, warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be? No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."
"Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"

DH8YJJF.gif

Jedi for me too. Those GIFs seal it. Aside from the Hammerhead moment, I'm struggling to recall much from the Rogue One fight.

One I'd add is the asteroid chase with the Falcon and the TIE fighters. The music is just immense during that.

The rescue at New Caprica in Battlestar Galactica was an absolutely astounding one. Visually it's spectacular, the stakes are high, Adama's plan is breathtakingly magnificent and the arrival of the Pegasus was nothing short of glorious.

But for all the visual splendour there's so much more to it than that. It's about Adama knowing he and the Galactica aren't coming back from that fight. It's about the right decision being to leave the superior ship, the Pegasus, to protect what remains of the fleet. It's about the Cylons wanting the Galactica destroyed so badly that they don't have time to respond to the Pegasus when it arrives with all guns blazing. It's about the Pegasus going out like the razor it was, with utter devastation in its wake. It's about Saul motherfrakkin' Tigh's face at the end of the episode.

It's about decisions and choices, about the right thing to do versus what you can live with. But also it's about "Launch them! Launch them all!" and "This outta be different..."

The rescue at New Caprica in Battlestar Galactica was an absolutely astounding one. Visually it's spectacular, the stakes are high, Adama's plan is breathtakingly magnificent and the arrival of the Pegasus was nothing short of glorious.

But for all the visual splendour there's so much more to it than that. It's about Adama knowing he and the Galactica aren't coming back from that fight. It's about the right decision being to leave the superior ship, the Pegasus, to protect what remains of the fleet. It's about the Cylons wanting the Galactica destroyed so badly that they don't have time to respond to the Pegasus when it arrives with all guns blazing. It's about the Pegasus going out like the razor it was, with utter devastation in its wake. It's about Saul motherfrakkin' Tigh's face at the end of the episode.

It's about decisions and choices, about the right thing to do versus what you can live with. But also it's about "Launch them! Launch them all!" and "This outta be different..."

Goddammit time for another BSG rewatch, this is one of my favourite scenes of anything, ever

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say it's currently Rogue One, it's simply outstanding.

Carcetti

Rogue One

Galactica

Various B5 battles

RoTJ

Star Trek 6 and 2

Balance of Terror in Trek Original Series

The best of the Stargate battles (some were terribbbbble)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom