• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite videogame soundtracks

FranXico

This thread is about the videogame soundtracks (not just menu music, but also ambient background music, etc.) that you enjoyed the most.
Or, if like me, you can't really pick a favorite, mention some soundtracks that you really enjoyed and really got you into the right mood for that game.
If you can also dig up some links to share that music with us, please do.

• The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Been a long time ago, but one of my all time favorites. Soothing, relaxing music while exploring.
    Really encouraged me to take my time walking around that strange looking world and talking to NPCs.
    Neither Oblivion nor Skyrim ever hit the tone quite as well for me, because they were trying too much to "sound epic", if you understand what I mean.

• Shadow of the Colossus
    Great music, very focused on the most intense gameplay moments, and also emotional for the slower paced moments and especially towards the end.
    When you start fighting a Colossus, it hits the right tone and makes you feel like a puny little creature fighting against the odds.
    Only to change to a mellow tone when you defeat them. Deep down, you just know that what you are doing actually is wrong.

• Command & Conquer Red Alert
    The work of Frank Klepacki was brilliant throughout the C&C franchise, but I really feel like his best music was written for Red Alert.
    Come on, who doesn't like Hell's March? :messenger_sunglasses:
    The original Command & Conquer comes as a very close second.

• God of War II
    A great soundtrack, following the game world themes and setting the tone for the gruesome violence.
    It contributes a great deal to the ongoing spectacle.

What about you, GAF? Which soundtracks got you in the mood the most?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Too many favorites to list but rarely do I enjoy something so much that I listen over and over so heres a few recent ones that I really loved:

Probably best to avoid this one if you plan on playing the game or at least don't read the comments

I still have not played dthe game because I generally don't like the genre but I love all Tekken songs lol.

Last edited:

bobone

Might be lame to say but Super Mario 64 will forever be the best soundtrack of all time for me. Instant happiness no matter what is going on in my life.

I listen to single tracks from many games pretty often, but for complete soundtracks I think Mario 64 is hard to beat.

sublimit

Banned
In no particular order:

1)Ico
2)Shadow of the Colossus
3)Dragon Quest VIII
4)Silent Hill 2
5)Chrono Cross (even if i still haven't played the game)
6)Final Fantasy X
7)TES Oblivion (hated the game but absolutely loved the music)
8)The Witcher 3 (including the expansions)
9)Tomb Raider 2
10)Nier

I could easily add at least another 50 soundtracks that i absolutely love and have listened to a million times.

Segura Unger

Neo Member
Dreamcast startup sound
Shenmue
Jet Set Radio
Jet Set Radio Future
Katamari Damacy
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 1/2/3
Silent Hill series
Alan Wake
Hitman: Contracts
Hitman: Blood Money
Freedom Fighters
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Half-Life 2
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Parasite Eve 1/2
Fallout 4
American McGee's Alice
D2
Illbleed
Mass Effect 1
Resident Evil 2/3
Streets of Rage 1/2/3
The Adventure of Batman & Robin (Genesis version)

Last edited:

Fake

Panzer Dragoon Orta
Sonic CD (USA ver)
Kingdom Hearts 1/2/Birth by Sleep
Dragon's Crown
Zelda Majora's Mask
Pokemon Stadium 2
Biohazard 3
Chocobo Racing
Sonic Riders
Sonic Riders Zero Gravity

Bakkus

To everyone who posts soundtracks: It would be better if you just posted some highlights. Don't think many are insterested in listening for over an hour on each individual video. Just to mention one which haven't been mentioned before, Diddy Kong Racing

Fbh

Chrono Cross
It's not necessarily the one I'm most likely to hear on its own, but I think it's an amazing soundtrack that does a lot to make the world and setting (which in itself is already one of my favorites) come alive.

Like take early game.
You have Arni Village:

Arni.png

Which in itself already looks nice and relaxing.
Then you add the music:

And it comes even more alive. Just with the music alone you already get an idea of how the vibe and life in general is around the island.

And yeah I guess this is true for a lot of RPG's and game soundtracks in general. But I think Chrono Cross excels at it even more than others. And the music itself is also amazing because Yasunori Mitsuda is amazing

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Lost odyssey (360)
Panzer dragoon (Saturn )
Final fantasy 6 (SNES)
Albert odyssey. (Saturn)
Astal (Saturn)
Grandia (Saturn)
Halo 2 (Xbox)
Batman returns (SNES)
Super castlevania IV (SNES)
Street fighter zero 2 (Saturn)
Samurai showdown 2 (neo géo cd)
King of fighter 96/98 (cd versions)

Domisto

first ones that come to mind
Tower 57
Turrican 2
Stardew Valley
Bastion
Monkey Island 1 & 2

If we included soundtracks that are compilations I'd add Hotline Miami 1 & 2, Gran Turismo 1, and Midnight Club LA.

Shifty1897

Here's 10 games with top tier soundtracks:
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy Tactics
Fire Emblem Echoes
Metal Gear Rising
Nier Automata
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Persona 4 Golden
SaGa Frontier 2
Chrono Cross

Not going to include tracks because most of these are non-controversial and universally celebrated, except for maybe Fire Emblem Echoes and SaGa Frontier 2.

keraj37

In no particular order:

1)Ico
2)Shadow of the Colossus
3)Dragon Quest VIII
4)Silent Hill 2
5)Chrono Cross (even if i still haven't played the game)
6)Final Fantasy X
7)TES Oblivion (hated the game but absolutely loved the music)
8)The Witcher 3 (including the expansions)
9)Tomb Raider 2
10)Nier

I could easily add at least another 50 soundtracks that i absolutely love and have listened to a million times.

I loved Oblivion music aswell, although I liked the game to.
Most likely best game soundtrack ever.

Also Fallout 1/2 - that music is writen in my brain after 1000s of hours listening to it.

sublimit

Banned
I loved Oblivion music aswell, although I liked the game to.
Most likely best game soundtrack ever.
Jeremy Soule is an incredible composer and he is really good at writing Tolkien-esque Fantasy music IMO. I also loved his soundtrack for Guild Wars 2 but it was also a game that didn't interest me. I hope one day he writes the music for a game i actually like.

Without a single doubt. Brings back so many memories. Many sounds were created using Roland keyboards. I owned a Roland keyboard for many years and I immediately recognised all the sounds/sound effects.

Also, when you inserted the original CD in a CD-player the music would play.

It was an amazing game as well.

Videogame nostalgia agony. You think you're the only one who understands videogame nostalgia agony? No my friend.

I too understand videogame nostalgia agony.

Quasicat

I’ve got about 50 albums, but my top 3 I’ve been listening to a lot are:
Wind Waker
Kirby’s Epic Yarn
To the Moon (with the Switch port being recently announced)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
If I am not going to cheat, final fantasy 7

If I can semi cheat smash bros ultimate

If I can just flat out cheat, rock band 4 with all DLC.

Cactuarman

Banned
So many to choose from but want to show a little love to two from my childhood that are among my favorites:

Age of Empires

Riven

Top Bottom