• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite developer of this generation (also including upcoming titles)

Ganondorfo

Who is your favourite developer of this generation, you may also include upcoming games of your favourite developer

For example: resident evil 5 isn't out yet, but you can pick capcom because of resident evil 5.

My favourite developer is ubisoft because of assassin's creed, brothers in arms 3, splinter cell 5 and rainbow six vegas.

Honorable mention goes to capcom for dead rising, lost planet, resident evil 5, zack and wiki and devil may cry 4.

Another honorable mention goes to namco for ace combat 6, tekken 6, soul calibur 4, tales of symphonia 2 and beautiful katamari.

Most dissapointing developer of this generation for me goes to square-enix because of the problems of development with final fantasy 13.

I don't want to forget konami with the upcoming metal gear solid 4 and silent hill 5.

Gattsu25

Banned
not another damned list thread...this one is flawed from the very start

how can you reasonably claim a developer is your favorite, this gen, if you haven't even determined if their game (upcoming titles included, no?) are worth your time by playing them.

EktorPR

Before the ridiculous "Nintendo doesn't belong to this gen" statement...

Nintendo. Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Those four games alone, combined with new stuff for the masses like Wii Fit, is enough to declare them "favorite" in my book.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
how can you reasonably claim a developer is your favorite, this gen, if you haven't even determined if their game (upcoming titles included, no?) are worth your time by playing them.

Magic 8 ball says "cast your votes for Capcom bitches"

TEH-CJ

Banned
Too hard just to pick one as theres too many developers out producing amazing achievements

but if i had to pick it would be between insomniac and guerrilla .

Always have said GG were a talented bunch ..these guys don't get the recognition they deserve imo

edit: Might as well post the other developers its just not fair :D

Ninja Theory - Most amazing production values this gen
Kojima Studios - Nuff said
Crytek - nuff said
Sony santa monica - god of war 2 is my all time fav game - cant believe gow 2 is on ps2..
Naughty dog - these guys are geniuses

Ganondorfo

Gattsu25 said:
not another damned list thread...this one is flawed from the very start

You have a point there, but by watching trailers/ingame footage and reading previews, you have a good feeling that you are going to enjoy the future titles by that developer.
If you played previous games by that developer, you will also know how their upcoming title will play.

jiggle

Squaresoft - Final Fantasy 13 + vs 13, Crisis Core, Dissidia and hopefully FF7:RE
Sony - Heavenly Sword, Singstar, Little Big Planet, Afrika, Uncharted, Rachet and more. Hopefully they'll make more jrpgs.
Level 5 - Sorta belongs under Square? or Sony? But whatever, loved this team since DC1. Continues to impress me. Jean D'arc, White Knight Story, and for working on Dragon Quest 9 (hopefully they're doing DQIV:RE)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
capcom -- dead rising and lost planet are great, dmc4 and re5 will probably be still better

EktorPR

Ganondorfo said:
You have a point there, but by watching trailers/ingame footage and reading previews, you have a good feeling that you are going to enjoy the future titles by that developer.
If you played previous games by that developer, you will also know how their upcoming title will play.

Or at least have an idea. ;)

Ganondorfo

EktorPR said:
Before the ridiculous "Nintendo doesn't belong to this gen" statement...

Nintendo. Super Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Those four games alone, combined with new stuff for the masses like Wii Fit, is enough to declare them "favorite" in my book.

I didn't ignore nintendo on my post, I gave zack and wiki a honorable mention.

dangrib

Developer: Konami
Producer: Shingo "Seabass" Takatsuka
Why?: For giving me Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer
Generation: Any past and future generations
That is all

Wollan

Insomniac are pretty cool. They're very open. They deliver stuff on time (map packs excluding). They have a podcast. They have a cool website and game forums. They also have two cool game franchises, not one. And apparently they eat ice cream and stuff.

I also really like the progression Guerrilla have made and having them in Amsterdam makes them more unique. So European.

Kojima Productions are also great. They have really really opened up and is probably at the top when it comes to this aspect between the Japanese developers. Obviously the games are amazing as well.

Another open studio is Bungie and they have probably the best website with weekly updates..etc. Good stuff.

Overall lineup from a publisher and range of internal studios is obviously Sony's crown to wear.

Amir0x

Banned
Capcom is the obvious winner, they're making unbelievably awesome titles for basically every platform under the sun. Monster Hunter, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Zack and Wiki, Phoenix Wright, Puzzle Fighter HD, Street Fighter HD, Goku Makaimura, various awesome Megaman titles and more games on the way.

Sony has a pretty stellar first party lineup now... if there only wasn't the PS3 barrier. Nonetheless, they've got awesome stuff in the pipeline like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Lair, LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo 5, Ratchet and Clank Future, Killzone 2, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Echochrome, Infamous, Eye of Judgment, SOCOM, Warhawk and more.

Nintendo because, hey, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime III.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Atlus R&D1: Persona 3, Digital Devil Saga, Shin Megami Tensei 3, Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey
Capcom: Dragon Quarter, Devil May Cry, Phoenix Wright, Megaman Zero, Resident Evil 4

edit: wait uh... how can I judge these developers based on games I havent played yet? which is the reason why I named those instead of RE5, DMC4 and stuff.

drohne

Amir0x said:
Sony has a pretty stellar first party lineup now... if there only wasn't the PS3 barrier. Nonetheless, they've got awesome stuff in the pipeline like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Lair, LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo 5, Ratchet and Clank Future, Killzone 2, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Echochrome, Infamous, Eye of Judgment, SOCOM, Warhawk and more.

yeah, but from that list, only the following are by sony-owned developers: uncharted, gt5, killzone 2, echochrome, eye of judgement, warhawk

sony might be the most exciting publisher of this generation, though

Amir0x

Banned
drohne said:
yeah, but from that list, only the following are by sony-owned developers: uncharted, gt5, killzone 2, echochrome, eye of judgement, warhawk

good point! Hmmm, wait God of War isn't a first party developed game? Also I just realized how extremely difficult it is for me to separate Insomniac's titles from the idea of Sony.

drohne

Amir0x said:

edit: i guess they own sucker punch now, so infamous as well

[Nintex]

Capcom I guess, they made the Next Gen dream come true.

Also EAD Tokyo(Super Mario Galaxy) for showing the world how a Wii Game should be made.

Most dissapointing, Ubisoft wtf are they doing. Countless ports, horrid Wii games and buggy E3 demo's.

Amir0x

Banned
drohne said:

edit: i guess they own sucker punch now, so infamous as well

:eek: Denzel Washington confirmed?

Wollan

drohne said:

They own Zipper as well (Socom) but they do own all the ip's Amir0x listed.

drohne

zipper isn't doing the psn socom game, though

and ready at dawn is doing psp gow

and now i'm not sure if they own sucker punch -- wikipedia says they do, but i can't find any other references

Salazar

Ganondorfo said:

Well, exploiting these crap parameters - the Offset team. A fantasy crossbow FPS with dragons, sieges, magic, trolls / orcs and graphics that I still think are going to blow GAF apart when we see more of them. On sheer promise, these are my folks.

On form and for the immediate future, Capcom, Ubisoft and Bethesda. I outright detest a lot of what Ubisoft puts out, but they have some genuine class (AC, PoP), and the other two are just on another level.

Hopefully Eidos have enough shekels to make a killer Tomb Raider and boost into my now-gen affections.

Doodlebug

Konami and Bungie are the two I favour most, responsible for my most anticipated titles. They're kinda like the titans, really.

For Crackdown and LBP, props to Realtime Worlds and Media Molecule, respectively. One I've had heaps of fun with; the other, I'm sure I'll have just as much fun with when I get to play it.

Urgh, there's just so many that I think I'll leave it at that.

I'll list my favorite publishers so far as there are way too many development teams scattered about working for each.

So far I'd say UbiSoft has the strongest lineup of games out now.

Future Titles - I'd have to say EA after what we saw at E3, Sony's 1st / 2nd party is strong, Microsoft's 1st / 2nd party games look good, and for a smaller publisher I'm going with Bethesda.

Chinner

Banned
Capcom in terms of general output (I won't bother specifying developer teams). They're pretty much been on the ball since RE4 last gen. Bungie deserves a mention, Halo 3 is looking great and I really like how good they are with the community.

AntMurda

Nintendo
Super Mario Galaxy (EAD)
Metroid Prime 3 (Retro Studios / SPD)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (EAD/HAL/SPD/?)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (EAD)
Brain-Age 2 (SPD)

Atlus
Persona 3 (R&D1)
Trauma Center: New Blood (R&D1)

I have always liked Capcom and Konami, and they arent going to fail me this gen either, same goes for Square(-Enix). Nowadays Sony has great internal studios too and Media Molecyle is doing great job with LBP at the moment. And of course theres Nintendo with its studios, which hopefully arent going to center their forces for Non-games only this gen :lol

Bioware (Mass Effect trilogy)
Rockstar North (GTA4)
Bethesda (TES4, Fallout 3)
Capcom (Dead Rising, SSF2T HD, RE5)
Insomniac (R&C 4)
Real Time Worlds (Crackdown)

Sypher

Banned
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM

Doodlebug

Nintendo development division's "non-games" strike a nice balance for me, so long as other developers don't follow suit.

[Nintex]

sypher said:
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM
SONIC TEAM