• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite Fire Emblem battle animations.

Moonlight

Banned
I've been on a bit of an FE kick recently, and one thing that I really fell back in love with are all the battle animations in the older games. They always looked incredibly stylish and cool, and it's pretty much the one thing that I really wish survived the transition to 3D for the series. So, I wanted to know what your favourite FE animations are.

For my part, I'll get the obvious out of the way:

Lyn_lord_sword_critical.gif

Lyn_bladelord_solkatti_critical.gif

Lyn has by far my favourite critical hit animations of any FE character ever. Those after-images.

Ghazi

I turned off the long battle animations in Awakening, now there's just the generic hit one for melee characters and stuff :/

Wish we had some more unique ones.

mdubs

Banned
Yes OP! This thread is sorely needed. My favourite is the Hector Armads Critical, so good! The Lyn ones are also an excellent choice too.
hector_battle_sprite_actual_sprite_inside__by_allclaimingdarkness-d6oa1u4.gif

Hindl

If they kept that animation in 3D... my god, Awakening would be mind-blowing. The 2D Fire Emblem games had amazing animations!

Gerik_hero_sword.gif

Yes OP! This thread is sorely needed. My favourite is the Hector Armads Critical, so good! The Lyn ones are also an excellent choice too.
hector_battle_sprite_actual_sprite_inside__by_allclaimingdarkness-d6oa1u4.gif

God yes. That was my main criticism of Awakening. Great game, but damn those crits with the line on the top of the screen with the character's face sucked. Those crits from the sprite-based games were epic. I also loved the archer one. So cocky:

FE7_Archer_Critical.gif

Some Nobody

Honestly, I'm kind of a graphics whore but Fire Emblem has always been the exception to the rule. Those simple animations just seem to perfectly portray what's happening in battle.

Case in point: I love all the critical hits. Just from the way the characters move, even the very first time you see it, you KNOW your opponent's about to get fucked. UP.

Of all of those, the OP picked the best one. Lyn really looked like she was about to obliterate someone DBZ-style with just a sword.

I think they'd be able to replicate a little bit of this feeling with 3D if they weren't so committed to realism. They should make the characters take dramatic pauses, disappear into thin air, and twirl wildly in a blur. Nothing stops them from doing that with 3D except they seem to think that 3D forces them into realism.

GamerSoul

I see Lyn crits. All is well.

Awakening had some great ones as well. Assassins, Heros, Swordmasters had some cool animations.

Whoa, looks like I stopped playing the GBA FE's a little too soon. I went straight to Awakening and loved it. Do the DS games have these awesome animations?

I think they'd be able to replicate a little bit of this feeling with 3D if they weren't so committed to realism. They should make the characters take dramatic pauses, disappear into thin air, and twirl wildly in a blur. Nothing stops them from doing that with 3D except they seem to think that 3D forces them into realism.

But the feet! Thankfully, it didn't distract me as much as I thought it would.

GamerSoul

God yes. That was my main criticism of Awakening. Great game, but damn those crits with the line on the top of the screen with the character's face sucked. Those crits from the sprite-based games were epic. I also loved the archer one. So cocky:

FE7_Archer_Critical.gif

lol gotta love the dramatic pause

Not really in Radiant Dawn, at least for the third tier abilities.

Don't know if there is a gif or webm of it, but I fucking love lethality in Awakening

Screenshot I could find of it
lethality.jpg

Olivia executing looks especially awesome too

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Do the DS games have these awesome animations?
Not even close. They're horribly stiff, prerendered bullcrap.

Sad to see folks talking smack on Awakening... Its animations aren't quite so cool as the GBA games, yeah, but they were a massive, massive improvement on the shit battle animation purgatory the series was thrown into with PoR/RD and the DS games.

Don't know if there is a gif or webm of it, but I fucking love lethality in Awakening

Screenshot I could find of it
lethality.jpg

Olivia executing looks especially awesome too

tumblr_inline_moju6o3GOu1qz4rgp.jpg

I actually liked Awakening's crit animations. What did annoy me was when you had a high-chance skill like Vengeance and it activates every fucking turn. The crits would've been that much more epic if skills didn't share the animation.

SubtleTea

Or even better, a Fire Emblem Fighting Game using GG XRD's 3D engine and the gameplay is designed by Arc System Works.

Yeah I would killllll for a Fire Emblem version of Persona 4 Arena, that would actually be a reason to buy a wii u for me, hint hint nintendo, get on it ^^

I wouldn't say all of the Geneology/Thracia crits are awesome sauce, (bow crits are basically just a dramatic pause) but some of the best crits in the series imo do come from them.

There's this really badass one with Pegasus Knights if the crit is enough to kill on the first round where they basically just fly up, swoop in for a killing strike, and then fly away off the screen.

Marth actually had special crit animations in the original Fire Emblem 1 (no one else did), and iirc they were pretty cool too.

In terms of the more well-known GBA games, the Paladin Crit is one that I didn't see mentioned yet.

FE6_Paladin_Critical.gif

I wouldn't say all of the Geneology/Thracia crits are awesome sauce, (bow crits are basically just a dramatic pause) but some of the best crits in the series imo do come from them.

There's this really badass one with Pegasus Knights if the crit is enough to kill on the first round where they basically just fly up, swoop in for a killing strike, and then fly away off the screen.

Marth actually had special crit animations in the original Fire Emblem 1 (no one else did), and iirc they were pretty cool too.

In terms of the more well-known GBA games, the Paladin Crit is one that I didn't see mentioned yet.

FE6_Paladin_Critical.gif

Probably because it sucks?

Pudge

Too lazy to go look up a GIF, but the General launching spring loaded Axes and Spears from his armor is probably 50% of the reason why I love Fire Emblem. Everybody else is just wielding swords and the General is like a robot man.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ephraim has some serious finesse showing in his animations.

Ephraim_%28Lord%29.gif

It sucks that the GBA Fire Emblem games left an impression that all of the FE games have badass, over-the-top battle animations when in most games they are subdued as all hell (unless you activate a crit or skill).

Top Bottom