• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite series stuck with a publisher that will never develop another entry?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
SEGA: Skies of Arcadia
SEGA: Burning Rangers
SEGA: Billy Hatcher
SEGA: A good Sonic game
CAPCOM: Megaman Legends

I mean come on SEGA, you have an entire library and you produce nothing good yourselves and most success have been outsourced, apart from your "game" in name only wifu dress up gatcha simulator PSO2.

And fuck you Capcom for giving us hope and then smashing it all those years ago, I still feel angry about Legends 3 when you recycled the engine and assets to make EX-Troopers which flopped and you never even released in the west is just the icing of the cake. Fuck you and your obviously wrong corperate stooge who made that call... Sorry this one really leaves a bad memory.

Last edited:

rubenburgt

Prototype-Free-Download-By-Nexusgames.to-p.jpg

Damn you Activision.

Metroid and F Zero want 4k 60fps ray tracing and online multiplayer but for that to happen Nintendo would need to throw away their entire hardware philosophy and maybe an online server that isn't from the lat 90s (which they recent updated)

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Metroid and F Zero want 4k 60fps ray tracing and online multiplayer but for that to happen Nintendo would need to throw away their entire hardware philosophy and maybe a ln online server that isn't from the lat 90s ( which they recent updated
or you can play them on dolphin emulator at glorious 4k

Tschumi

impressions' city builders (E:ROTMK ftw)
R800x0

Deus Ex (anything longer than a year until the next title being announced is in scientific reality an eternity)
yep Metal Gear Solid, would love a director's cut of dat bish
Zelda. Call me silly but I will miss the OG style of Zelda if BOTW turns out to be the way of the future, i liked that bit of linearity
Uncharted, a tragedy if Nathan Drake's really done
Gladius. Lucas Arts tactical combat game from the Gamecube... My favourite of the genre by miles

666873.gif

Last edited:

Skyfox

Games I want that won't get made (or will be made with terrible direction):
  • Wipeout
  • Metroid
  • Bionic commando (not the 2d one)
  • Virtua cop (would be fun in vr)
  • House of the dead (would be fun in vr)
  • Sonic generations 2 (classic sonic only)
  • FF7 - oh wait!
  • Re2 - oh wait!
  • Half life 3
  • Alien isolation 2
  • Destruction derby (Wrecked wasn't fun for me - not arcadey, can't even remember the music)
  • Sega rally
  • Daytona
  • Scud race
  • Wave race
  • Non ugly Tomb raider (HZD following this path too)
  • Portal
  • Deus Ex
  • Killzone
  • Uncharted (lost legacy is a completely different character)
  • Fzero
  • Starfox

nowhat

Ultima from EA
As much as I love Ultima (which I do, a lot), I think this may be for the better. Let's face it, after Ultima 7 and the expansions (which were epic) it has been downhill since. Richard Garriott is no longer involved (which may be a good thing, but who has the creative vision then?). The game design with the player being tasked to play the part of the "Avatar" may have been revolutionary at first (when basically no concept of morality existed in the average computer RPG), but it feels completely outdated and limiting these days. And so on. Sometimes it may be good that a franchise is just laid to rest.

impressions' city builders (E:ROTMK ftw)
R800x0

Deus Ex (anything longer than a year until the next title being announced is in scientific reality an eternity)
yep Metal Gear Solid, would love a director's cut of dat bish
Zelda. Call me silly but I will miss the OG style of Zelda if BOTW turns out to be the way of the future, i liked that bit of linearity
Uncharted, a tragedy if Nathan Drake's really done
Gladius. Lucas Arts tactical combat game from the Gamecube... My favourite of the genre by miles

666873.gif
Pharaoh remake is coming though.
Augustus mod for Caesar 3.
Gladius... good picks.

Mirrors Edge and Dead Space - EA (do they own Road Rash too?)
X-Men - I don’t know who has the licence but there is a potentially great RPG waiting to be made with that
Max Payne
F-Zero and Star Fox

Banned
No One Lives Forever - ??? Apparently publishers care so little about this IP that they can't be bothered to check if they own it.

imma be honest, after hearing for the longest time from people how great the NOLF games are I finally played them a few weeks ago... (you can just download them from a fan mad site since noone knows who holds the rights)
and they suck... like big time... terrible.
this gets even worse because people often compared them to Perfect Dark, and holy shit, PD is not only a step above NOLF, it's a whole galaxy ahead. and released months before NOLF1 and years before NOLF2, so there's no excuse here.

I would even go as far and say... Perfect Dark Zero is also a way better game than either of the NOLF games

terrible Leveldesign, awful AI, dumb minigame like mission objectives that drag on for too long and shitty controls are only some of the issues I had with the first 2 games (haven't bothered touching the spinoff yet) while playing them each for an hour or so.

like... why do people like these so much? has to be pure nostalgia... and don't gimme that "they didn't age well" crap, that's not a thing. you can still play Perfect Dark today and it's a great game with great controls and good Leveldesign.

so yeah, after I ignored them when the games released back in the day but hearing so many people gush over how great they are, it was a gigantic letdown actually playing them myself and seeing how bad they are

doesn't shock me that noone bathers looking if they own the IP lol

Last edited:
imma be honest, after hearing for the longest time from people how great the NOLF games are I finally played them a few weeks ago... (you can just download them from a fan mad site since noone knows who holds the rights)
and they suck... like big time... terrible.
this gets even worse because people often compared them to Perfect Dark, and holy shit, PD is not only a step above NOLF, it's a whole galaxy ahead. and released months before NOLF1 and years before NOLF2, so there's no excuse here.

I would even go as far and say... Perfect Dark Zero is also a way better game than either of the NOLF games

terrible Leveldesign, awful AI, dumb minigame like mission objectives that drag on for too long and shitty controls are only some of the issues I had with the first 2 games (haven't bothered touching the spinoff yet) while playing them each for an hour or so.

like... why do people like these so much? has to be pure nostalgia... and don't gimme that "they didn't age well" crap, that's not a thing. you can still play Perfect Dark today and it's a great game with great controls and good Leveldesign.

so yeah, after I ignored them when the games released back in the day but hearing so many people gush over how great they are, it was a gigantic letdown actually playing them myself and seeing how bad they are

doesn't shock me that noone bathers looking if they own the IP lol
I never played PD but I did enjoy both NOLF games more than a decade ago.

There's an inventiveness and charm in those FPSes that wasn't very common at the time (eg. duelling a shinobi in a house being whipped around inside a tornado).

I mean, you want Soul Reaver 3 lol. I loved the LoK series for the grand narrative, characters and world setting but I'm not so sure about controls and level design. Combat in Defiance was decent but definitely eclipsed by the Japanese offerings of the time.

What is wrong about NOLFs controls in your opinion anyaay??

intbal

There is precisely zero chance that Square Enix will ever develop the sequel (and cliffhanger resolution) to Anachronox.
They should sell the rights back to Tom Hall. He's been trying to reacquire them for twenty years.

Also: Good idea for a thread, OP. (y)

Last edited:
Top Bottom