• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favourite Video Game Ads

Bullet Club

They can be print or video.

I love the old 90s magazine ads. A lot of these wouldn't be allowed these days.

8Zmr2uR.jpg

lBobyXI.jpg

3uujn5v.jpg

aUxcx4a.jpg

cNxEbUj.jpg

DRKbEHw.jpg

Breakage

These Game Boy Advance SP adverts:
oYoA2GPw6VhWKlhk8lH0AUEmJKPIajDqW-rPcpTVExA.jpg

funny%2Bnintendo%2Bads%2B(1).jpg

What makes it memorable for me is that it is so un-Nintendo. You'd expect an advert like this from PS2-era Sony, but from the makers of Mario? Do Nintendo's young fans know what the first best thing to do in the dark is?
It was a complete 180 on Nintendo's “kid” image.

Last edited:
UK gamers (and some others) will be familiar with The Sun's Page 3 girl: basically, a young woman on page 3 of the newspaper who is topless. It's the first thing you'll see when you open the newspaper, due to the way the pages turns. It was a staple of The Sun newspaper for decades.

Sony bought ad space on pages 2 and 3 of the newspaper to do this:

the-sun.jpg

That was f cking genius. It actually made headlines in OTHER newspapers as a result..!

molasar

Banned
UK gamers (and some others) will be familiar with The Sun's Page 3 girl: basically, a young woman on page 3 of the newspaper who is topless. It's the first thing you'll see when you open the newspaper, due to the way the pages turns. It was a staple of The Sun newspaper for decades.

Sony bought ad space on pages 2 and 3 of the newspaper to do this:

the-sun.jpg

That was f cking genius. It actually made headlines in OTHER newspapers as a result..!
An article about it from www.campaignlive.co.uk .

PlayStation_1280-20131203021008633.jpg

"The Sun’s commercial team made history last week when they sold the tabloid’s page three for the first time in its 49-year history. It was sold as part of a double-page spread for the Sony PlayStation 4 in a deal brokered by Manning Gottlieb OMD. The ad is a cheeky apology to the model Rosie, 22, from Middlesex – who had to make do with page five."

Source: https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/things-like-sony-takes-suns-page-three/1223620

kingbean

Jesus those ads would NEVER fly today.

I love them and hate them at the same time. The absurdity is amazing.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol that first ad was literally the first thing on my mind. as a 90s kid who collected videogames magazines you best believe i held onto that one ;-)

damn that Sonic 2 ad with.... is that testicle cleavage???? WTF???

not sexy or retro but i do really like this funny Metal Gear Rising ad spot:

Last edited:

Waiverine

Neo Member
The Winning Eleven anniversary advert hits me right in my nostalgia every time. And I don't even understand Japanese.

Top Bottom