• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your hopes for Breath of the Wild 2?

Livia

Hi all!

E3 is approaching and I dont think i've been as hyped as I am now since Nintendos 2017 January presentation. Since then i've sold my launch base Switch model after several joy cons that were drifting, and cracks on the backplate due to heating. The ever lasting rumor involving a Switch Pro has me excited for problems like I had with my Switch to be Iron out, hopefully. With a new console, a new Zelda game to be launched with it, is highly likely I would say.

Breath of the Wild for me was a magnificent experience which goes beyond gaming. The game is pure art for me, and the amount of hours (200), is something i've never had in any game that I can recall. Although I adore Breath of the Wild, its not a perfect game by no means. It has flaws that I hope gets fixed in the sequel.

So, heres my hopes for the sequel:

1. Variety: Not just in enemies and bosses, which was lacking in the original game, but also environment. We had the typical Zelda enviroments like the desert, forest, water etc. We've been through that in the first game, so I think it would be cool to see something unexpected. It looks like we get to explore caverns and such in the sequel, but more cool areas like underwater exploration and such would be nice.

2. Story: The story arc in the first game was okay, but nothing too exciting and I couldn't get invested in the story or characters. Maybe the reason was the voice acting, or just an underwhelming story. I would like a story that involves a more personal connection with both Zelda and Ganondorf, like in Ocarina of Time. More side quests like Tarrey Town would be nice aswell.

3. Crafting. Not a huge deal for me, cause I rarely used the cooking pot, but maybe it was because of the non existing crafting in the game? If they can come up with a more advance crafting system, then maybe it would make the game more challenging and rewarding. Like, if you want to explore a cave or dungeon, you have to craft the materials to enter the dungeon or craft an item to let you advance further or something.

4. Soundtrack: This is also not a huge deal for me personally, but i've seen people talking about it. I like the calm soundtrack with nature sounds on Breath of the Wild, but having a orchestrated soundtrack throughout the game, like in Skyward Sword, would be epic, I have to say. Having a Hyrule field theme and Zeldas lullaby would be cool, but it has to work within the story and the athmosphere they're going for in the sequel.

Thats my hopes for the sequel that I can think of. Feel free to comment what hopes you guys have, would be interesting to read.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ellery

Hi Livia!

1. Release on Nintendo Super Switch Day1 same launch date late 2021.
2. Proper making use of the hardware for BOTW2. 60fps would be super awesome or higher resolution. At the very least rock solid 30fps with perfect frametimes.
3. Like you mentioned : More Variety
4. Weapons don't break
5. A denser/richer world that oozes more what make Zelda games special.

Livia

I want less voice acting and more classic Zelda/Dungeons.

I agree to some extent. The voice acting worked for some characters, but for Zelda, no. I didn't like her voice at all and therefor my connection with her was non existing. BUT, it was a nice change of pace to have voice acting for the first time in any 3D Zelda game. If they go back to just text in the sequel, it wouldn't bother me really.

SinDelta

Bigger, better dungeons and get rid of the fucking random weather hazards that make it so you can't climb or really do shit.

Some more story would be nice too but it's not a deal breaker.
Don't get rid of the weather hazards.

Add ways to circumnavigate them.

Say a musical instrument that can control the weather, ect. Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker are two examples. Add tons of nifty spells that allow even more interaction with the world.

Livia

Hi Livia!

1. Release on Nintendo Super Switch Day1 same launch date late 2021.
2. Proper making use of the hardware for BOTW2. 60fps would be super awesome or higher resolution. At the very least rock solid 30fps with perfect frametimes.
3. Like you mentioned : More Variety
4. Weapons don't break
5. A denser/richer world that oozes more what make Zelda games special.

I couldn't agree more with you!

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
1. Good dungeons
2. Quests with proper rewards (like in an mmorpg)
3. Achievements, so you can 100% the game without having to look at guides online to see if you missed anything

fersnake

1. give me back my old classic music when you change areas like OoT
2. classic dungeons and bosses
3. ok leave the weapon system but for god sakes if you have the master sword dont nerf it, leave at full power all the time.

I agree to some extent. The voice acting worked for some characters, but for Zelda, no. I didn't like her voice at all and therefor my connection with her was non existing. BUT, it was a nice change of pace to have voice acting for the first time in any 3D Zelda game. If they go back to just text in the sequel, it wouldn't bother me really.
It wasn't bad, but I really think voice acting doesn't belong in Zelda games, the stuff that appears written isn't exactly english and we know they speak a language called Hylian instead. From decoding it (OoT, MM, WW, TP alphabets), we know it's more related to japanese than it is to english. Hence I would prefer to hear Japanese even, but grunts were fine. In reality what I value more in a Zelda game, is good facial animation that actually tells a story of it's own if needed. We were spoiled on that front OoT onwards.

And there was nothing wrong with the previous method of not having recorded audio for phrases, as much as clueless western gaming journalists loved to pick on it. I really think it helped more than it did to detract from.

I imagine it's absence gives the team more space to flesh the plot out even in later parts of development. Perhaps that was why Breath of the Wild had subpar plot.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

I want the health system to be non abusable. Too easy to load up on health items in the first game and pause everytime you get hit to replenish.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Some kind of change in how the weapon degredation works, but I'll live with it, if it's the same as 1. There was so much I enjoyed about botw1 that I could easily overlook changes and flaws. Zelda could probably benefit from even more radical gameplay changes to keep things spiced up.

brian0057

Banned
Thermonuclear take:
Voiced protagonists are not inherently superior to silent ones.
The latter allow for more dialog options and better characterization, with the player filling in the rest, including the voice, with their imagination.

Also, the sea of weapons Breath of the Wild provides makes breakable weapons a moot point. Stop bitching about it.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I want a denser world with more interesting things. A much larger enemy variety. Legit dungeons. No voice acting at all unless they can make it not the cringiest shit ever. A graphic upgrade would be nice as the first game looks really bad by today’s standards. I’m hoping the Switch Pro will give it a lot more power to work with thanks to dlss taking care of the Jump to 4K (hopefully)

My hope is we don't have another overrated open world Zelda with reviewers lying about it expanding open world gaming and everything it did was new.

Kimahri

Banned
More music. The music in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity was SO good. It does so much to just bring the world alive, and I hope to see more of that in BotD.

Oh and also, no weapons breaking. Age of Calamity did that better as well. Collect weapons, but instead of keeping a stash for when they break, used them to upgrade others.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think it's gonna be bigger than what we're expecting. Even BotW1 didn't have this long a period of quietness.

From what we heard at E3 2019, this game is supposed to use the BotW1 engine, and re-use a lot of the assets from the first game. That doesn't warrant two years of silence. I think they changed their minds about what they wanted to do with BotW2.

It's probably much bigger, and more ambitious than we're thinking.

Neff

- Larger and more varied shrines
- Fewer test of strength shrines
- Underwater shit
- More caves and interiors to explore

That's it. That's the GOAT right there.

Thermonuclear take:
Voiced protagonists are not inherently superior to silent ones.

I agree and I would always go with non-voiced characters outside of cutscenes for exactly the reasons you said.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Much more variety in dungeons. They were so many and very similar.

I don’t mind weapons breaking. What I didn’t like were the better ones breaking. Make them so that the weaker ones break quicker, since there are lots of them, but the better they get, the sturdier and durable they are, so they last much much longer.

This way at least makes you really want to find better ones. And actually bother fixing them.

And make the one and only true sword unbreakable.

Oh yes, and definitely make the bosses unique. I felt like I was fighting the same boss many times.

Last edited:

Lethal01

-Make the Master Cycles Zero part of the base game
-Make it faster to skip through text telling you that "You got X"
-Add more visual variety to the dungeons and shrines
-Add a heavy cooldown for eating food.

Last edited:
Have Link keep all his powers and gear. Have Zelda be the protagonist and use her piece of Triforce and have different skills and powers that she grows over time. Link can become playable in a Newgame+ where you just import your old save file from BotW1 and wreck shit.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Actual fun combat and better AI.
Better boss fights and more of them.
Proper dungeons and unique locations to explore.
More rewarding exploration and chest rewards.
Remove or completely rework weapon durability.
More enemy variety instead of just different colors.
More shrine variety and more themed shrines.
Better side quests and a proper town/city.
More house customization and multiple house locations/options.

Just off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
It's going to be immediately compared to one of the best games in the last decade. Unless it fixes the weapon decay issue it will be a disappointment for me.

Hi all!

E3 is approaching and I dont think i've been as hyped as I am now since Nintendos 2017 January presentation. Since then i've sold my launch base Switch model after several joy cons that were drifting, and cracks on the backplate due to heating. The ever lasting rumor involving a Switch Pro has me excited for problems like I had with my Switch to be Iron out, hopefully. With a new console, a new Zelda game to be launched with it, is highly likely I would say.

Breath of the Wild for me was a magnificent experience which goes beyond gaming. The game is pure art for me, and the amount of hours (200), is something i've never had in any game that I can recall. Although I adore Breath of the Wild, its not a perfect game by no means. It has flaws that I hope gets fixed in the sequel.

So, heres my hopes for the sequel:

1. Variety: Not just in enemies and bosses, which was lacking in the original game, but also environment. We had the typical Zelda enviroments like the desert, forest, water etc. We've been through that in the first game, so I think it would be cool to see something unexpected. It looks like we get to explore caverns and such in the sequel, but more cool areas like underwater exploration and such would be nice.

2. Story: The story arc in the first game was okay, but nothing too exciting and I couldn't get invested in the story or characters. Maybe the reason was the voice acting, or just an underwhelming story. I would like a story that involves a more personal connection with both Zelda and Ganondorf, like in Ocarina of Time. More side quests like Tarrey Town would be nice aswell.

3. Crafting. Not a huge deal for me, cause I rarely used the cooking pot, but maybe it was because of the non existing crafting in the game? If they can come up with a more advance crafting system, then maybe it would make the game more challenging and rewarding. Like, if you want to explore a cave or dungeon, you have to craft the materials to enter the dungeon or craft an item to let you advance further or something.

4. Soundtrack: This is also not a huge deal for me personally, but i've seen people talking about it. I like the calm soundtrack with nature sounds on Breath of the Wild, but having a orchestrated soundtrack throughout the game, like in Skyward Sword, would be epic, I have to say. Having a Hyrule field theme and Zeldas lullaby would be cool, but it has to work within the story and the athmosphere they're going for in the sequel.

Thats my hopes for the sequel that I can think of. Feel free to comment what hopes you guys have, would be interesting to read.

Cheers!
Zelda topless scene.

A good game this time, could also make Link a bit more masculine but that probably won't happen

Mostly just fix BOTW bs, add dungeons and take more thematic risks.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
...only needs proper dungeons this time around... everything else can stay the way it is.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Don't get rid of the weather hazards.

Add ways to circumnavigate them.

Not being able to climb in the rain was straight up broken design. The weather in general wasn't the issue, the fact that it actively stopped you from playing the fucking game was.

BotW did a lot of things well but it had some flaws that were seriously bad.

I want my princess zelda as playable character
At this point we have had multiple versions of Zelda in Smash, so there is no excuse to not let Zelda show off a little. And as others pointed out, we are bored of the "lose all your powers in a sequel" mechanic. Just have us follow Zelda as she train up in her own way and with her own skills, and at some point put Link back in as an optional player character. Basically a Metal gear Solid 2?

Top Bottom