• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your hopes for Breath of the Wild 2?

MagnesD3

Kill or fix the Weapon system, Give us several really good dungeons besides the bite sized shrines (with good original music to boot), give us more items to unlock/more restrictions with your base toolkit and make the boss battles way better.

Last edited:

joedan

Completely new map. Best thing about BOTW was the exploration and discovering new places. I don’t want to be revisiting locations at all.

Have the interior designs of the shrines be different. I got tired of the aesthetic by the end.

Increase the enemy variety. This goes for minibosses as well.

Last edited:
Given the timetravel theme, and the skyward sword vibes (floating islands), and breath of the wild and skyward sword are at the extremes of the timeline. I wonder if nintendo will now decide that the timeline is cyclical and link this to the events before skyward sword.

BabyYoda

Banned
That the dungeons are actually good, that they remove those awful shrine thingies, or at least have way less of them and more variety. Also that the game actually has a story that isn't bare bones and vague and that it has a proper score again, music that is deserving of this series, not forgettable ambience (although having that as well is fine for the inbetween important bits). Also side quests that are more enjoyable and less of the cookie cutter paste and copy Ubisoft tropes! Lastly that they get rid of the whole weapon breaking mechanic. If they do that and freshen it up in other ways, I won't find it to be one of the most overrated games ever!

Hey it was a decent game, some aspects were incredible actually, but it didn't gel for me like Ocarina did, the main problem is given away by it's name, it has a generic name and they struggled to come up with one actually, that should've given away to them that the game was lacking identity. With Ocarina of Time you know exactly what you are getting and it's a pillar of the games mechanics and story. I'm still wanting to know what on earth "Breath of the Wild" had to do with anyway...it's an open world game like you've seen a thousand times before but with a Zelda twist, tadaaaa!!

Maybe a bit harsh, it was better than the mediocre Mario Odyssey though, but why are Nintendo seemingly unable to top their N64 offerings of Mario and Zelda?!

Last edited:
I don't want Aonuma style.

Just want more like BotW, but bigger and without those stupid shrine trials. Zelda is not about puzzles, so I hope Aonuma don't force them in the game.

Look, I know people defend the hell out of the weapon breakage system as being integral to the design. If they don't change it, that's fine. But I won't play the game.

Weapon breakage systems with no means of repair ruin games for me. They kill my enjoyment and enthusiasm and leave me in a demoralized state saying "what's even the point?" - of exploring, finding new weapons, fighting enemies... anything. I want to enjoy the games I play rather than stress about using a weapon because each hit means its closer to death and disappearing from this world, like us all. Dust to dust, gone in an instant. I don't want to think about my own mortality when I play.

Let us repair them weapons, Nintendo, stop being a bummer.

Majukun

Look, I know people defend the hell out of the weapon breakage system as being integral to the design. If they don't change it, that's fine. But I won't play the game.

Weapon breakage systems with no means of repair ruin games for me. They kill my enjoyment and enthusiasm and leave me in a demoralized state saying "what's even the point?" - of exploring, finding new weapons, fighting enemies... anything. I want to enjoy the games I play rather than stress about using a weapon because each hit means its closer to death and disappearing from this world, like us all. Dust to dust, gone in an instant. I don't want to think about my own mortality when I play.

the point was to give you "currency" to spend
actually the degradation system for weapons improves exploration and gives you reasosn to do stuff, much like you do stuff to gain money.

if weapon don't break, you get one powerful weapon and now the rest of the content and exploration around you offer no reward whatsoever unless you powercreep weapons consistently.
with the degradation system as it is, even if you find a great weapon you know it'ss only for now and that you need more if you wanna be able to keep using it, and offers interesting player choices when you juggle your inventory deciding when it's the time to use the op weapon and when instead you can manage with lesser ones, or even using other systems altogether

Rodolink

i would love they got rid of weapon armor decay or at least provide some hard to get permanent weapons that never get destroyed.
But I think that won't happen after seeing last trailer feels it's gonna be same base systems just more mechanics and story

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

You basically have to kill enemies for new weapons.
If you just play the game you will be overloaded with weapons anyway.
This makes exploring worthwile. Since you don’t really level from exp?

Rodolink

the point was to give you "currency" to spend
actually the degradation system for weapons improves exploration and gives you reasosn to do stuff, much like you do stuff to gain money.

if weapon don't break, you get one powerful weapon and now the rest of the content and exploration around you offer no reward whatsoever unless you powercreep weapons consistently.
with the degradation system as it is, even if you find a great weapon you know it'ss only for now and that you need more if you wanna be able to keep using it, and offers interesting player choices when you juggle your inventory deciding when it's the time to use the op weapon and when instead you can manage with lesser ones, or even using other systems altogether
that depends on the type of player you are. some like me having a permanent weapon removes a hurdle and gives me freedom to explore more.

arvfab

Banned
Less BotW, more Ocarina of Time, would be a good start.

BotW was a huge disappointment for me as a Zelda fan. No dungeons and the breakable weapons system were the biggest downer. I even went so far to hack my Switch in order to cheat and make my weapons unbreakable. Had a bit more fun after that. But that didn't help against the dull, empty open-world or the meaningless enemy encounters.

The shrines and their puzzles were the only thing I had really fun in doing.... Only to be disappointed after completion, for only recieving the next useless weapon or x amount of rupees, with nothing significant to spend them on.

joedan

Was disappointed to see same monsters/enemies in the recent BOTW 2 trailer.

I found the enemies and their remixes in the first BOTW a tad repetitive after a while. Another one of my hopes is that the sequel would, not only wipe the slate clean, but have a large and diverse cast of enemies.

Amin_Parker

I would like to play as both Link and Zelda simultaneously. They should make the game in a way where both Link and Zelda are on the screen at the same time. You can alternate between both characters on the Fly and both characters have a totally different moveset. Think Sonic and Tails from the earlier Sonic games where both characters were on the screen simultaneously and you could switch between them on the Fly. This is how I want the next Zelda game to be. I know it's a pipe dream but we can always dream can't we?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'd say that this post only shows exactly why breaking weapons are necessary in the game:
Less BotW, more Ocarina of Time, would be a good start.

BotW was a huge disappointment for me as a Zelda fan. No dungeons and the breakable weapons system were the biggest downer. I even went so far to hack my Switch in order to cheat and make my weapons unbreakable. Had a bit more fun after that. But that didn't help against the dull, empty open-world or the meaningless enemy encounters.

The shrines and their puzzles were the only thing I had really fun in doing.... Only to be disappointed after completion, for only recieving the next useless weapon or x amount of rupees, with nothing significant to spend them on.
The enemy encounters stay much more interesting if you embrace the actual gameplay instead of trying to hack it into something it's not by keeping your weapons.

Normally, since you can only hold a few weapons and they'll break soon, every little enemy encounter has some excitement and variety to it, because you're expected to improvise with limited tools and the environment. For instance, even later in the game I'd often prefer to steal a weapon from one of the enemies in the group (perhaps a spear, by knocking one down early in fight so that they drop it) and then do something like light that spear on their campfire, and use it to catch several of them on fire quickly, then throw it like a missile at their exploding barrels and pivot to another random weapon from my current set, which might be just about anything. Fights are meant to be this way, and they stay interesting and dynamic if you actually play the game instead of trying to make it something it's not.

Likewise, it's not just "another useless weapon" that you pick up in chests or other locations. Every weapon ends up being pretty useful even later in the game, if you stick to the actual systems that encourage switching up all the time, instead of hacking it to be something the developers never intended.

with the degradation system as it is, even if you find a great weapon you know it'ss only for now and that you need more if you wanna be able to keep using it

You keep saying "you" like this is true for me. But for me, if the reason to explore is to find new weapons because my current one will break, then I feel like I'm only exploring just to maintain my status quo. I'm on a treadmill. It puts me no better off than where I am now, no progression, and the very act of exploring creates the need for exploring (i.e. you break your weapons in the course of exploring, so you need to explore to replace those weapons). So then what's the point? Why break my weapons to find new weapons - why not just keep the weapon I have and not use it. It becomes a make-work project where you win by not playing.

You basically have to kill enemies for new weapons.
If you just play the game you will be overloaded with weapons anyway.
This makes exploring worthwile. Since you don’t really level from exp?

In killing enemies for new weapons I break the weapons I have. Why am I killing them in the first place? To get more weapons. But I only needed new ones because I broke them killing enemies to get new ones: a treadmill where I stay in place, no better off than I was before. Well, then I just won't fight enemies and will avoid them - then I'm in the same place as I would be if I had fought them. Then I'm not engaging in the game's systems, so what's the point of playing.

Here's an idea - make exploration worthwhile by finding cool things. Nice items, ingredients, puzzles, customization options, awesome caves and locations, varied monsters and enemies, collectibles, and yes, weapons I can grow attached to over the course of my adventure because they can be repaired, maintained, and upgraded.

R6Rider

Gold Member
You keep saying "you" like this is true for me. But for me, if the reason to explore is to find new weapons because my current one will break, then I feel like I'm only exploring just to maintain my status quo. I'm on a treadmill. It puts me no better off than where I am now, no progression, and the very act of exploring creates the need for exploring (i.e. you break your weapons in the course of exploring, so you need to explore to replace those weapons). So then what's the point? Why break my weapons to find new weapons - why not just keep the weapon I have and not use it. It becomes a make-work project where you win by not playing.

In killing enemies for new weapons I break the weapons I have. Why am I killing them in the first place? To get more weapons. But I only needed new ones because I broke them killing enemies to get new ones: a treadmill where I stay in place, no better off than I was before. Well, then I just won't fight enemies and will avoid them - then I'm in the same place as I would be if I had fought them. Then I'm not engaging in the game's systems, so what's the point of playing.

Here's an idea - make exploration worthwhile by finding cool things. Nice items, ingredients, puzzles, customization options, awesome caves and locations, varied monsters and enemies, collectibles, and yes, weapons I can grow attached to over the course of my adventure because they can be repaired, maintained, and upgraded.
These are my thoughts exactly. You said it much better than I can, but here is what I was going to post anyway:

-
The weapon system/weapon degradation has to be changed or removed.

1) Enemy encounters for me were the opposite of interesting or fun for the most part. If I had a fun weapon or one that looked cool I didn't want it to break and so I avoided combat. Not to mention most enemies have generic weapons and at the same time offered no reason to kill them beyond materials they dropped.

This also ties in with another point about rewarding chests. If I know the chest guarded by enemies is more likely to hold something essentially pointless to me, then why fight them and waste a weapon?

2) I quickly realized most weapons and shields felt more like consumables than actual tools for combat. This in turn highlights why exploration and hidden chests were mostly pointless and disappointing. Why would I be excited to find a chest that was most likely going to give me arrows or weapons that neither of which would stay with me very long?

Chests and items should feel more rewarding in a way that's similar to a Soulsborne game. Like awesome I found a really cool spear with lightning bonus and that looks unique. Instead we got things like finding a lightning axe stuck on top of a building, but it's just a generic weapon that will break anyway.

3) The whole argument of having to switch weapons to keep it interesting only shows the major flaws. Combat is essentially slapping enemies with your weapon until it breaks and then using the weapon select to go to the next. If players want to mix it up with different weapons then they will, there's no need to force them to do it.

AJUMP23

I understand why they made the weapons break to encourage use of other weapons and trying different things, but that needs to go in BotW 2. I wish the Master Sword never ran out of power too. I think it would be better to get a stock of weapons and then use them without fear of losing them. I loved the spears because of their speed, but I hated losing a powerful one. It is like giving you a cool gun, then limiting the ammo.

supernova8

Banned
I never completed BOTW so I don't know about the later stages, but I'd say I got about half way through (before I sold my Switch), and I found the weapon breaking good. It added a bit of tension and avoided the common situation where you find a powerful weapon and they keep using it for ages (such as the different elemental swords). For me, since I knew I would only get temporary access to such weapons (if I chose to use them) I would actually savour using them more than if I just had permanent access to them. I would use my "normal" weapons for "normal" combat and then only use the powerful ones if I came up against a tougher one (like a higher level of mogoblin or lynel).

I guess others have a different view but I'd say it was a good game mechanic that should be kept in, especially if it's going to be essentially BOTW 2. If they were to make an entirely new Zelda game then sure switch it up (switching it up from Wind Waker, Skyward Sword etc. is what got us the awesome game that is BOTW in the first place.)

Last edited:

JCK75

I'm fine with breaking weapons but when you get the master sword the payoff should be it never breaking.

I'm fine with weapons breaking, but there should be a way to repair them nonetheless.
Maybe make it use spare parts you get from broken weapons, so there's still an incentive to go and find new ones?

arvfab

Banned
I'd say that this post only shows exactly why breaking weapons are necessary in the game:

The enemy encounters stay much more interesting if you embrace the actual gameplay instead of trying to hack it into something it's not by keeping your weapons.

Normally, since you can only hold a few weapons and they'll break soon, every little enemy encounter has some excitement and variety to it, because you're expected to improvise with limited tools and the environment. For instance, even later in the game I'd often prefer to steal a weapon from one of the enemies in the group (perhaps a spear, by knocking one down early in fight so that they drop it) and then do something like light that spear on their campfire, and use it to catch several of them on fire quickly, then throw it like a missile at their exploding barrels and pivot to another random weapon from my current set, which might be just about anything. Fights are meant to be this way, and they stay interesting and dynamic if you actually play the game instead of trying to make it something it's not.

Likewise, it's not just "another useless weapon" that you pick up in chests or other locations. Every weapon ends up being pretty useful even later in the game, if you stick to the actual systems that encourage switching up all the time, instead of hacking it to be something the developers never intended.

Nah, in the end I avoided random fights. Why break a good weapon, only to get a bad one as a reward?

If BotW2 has no changes in this regard, I will just skip it.

Dynasty8

4 things:

1) No more weapon durability. This was the biggest turn-off imo.

2) Traditional Zelda-like dungeons. Each with a different look/feel.

3) Make the game challenging or at least give us the option. BotW got incredibly easy towards the end.

4) Better story... this version of Hyrule has a lot of potential, they could do so much better than what we saw in BotW.

Chinbo37

Was disappointed to see same monsters/enemies in the recent BOTW 2 trailer.

I found the enemies and their remixes in the first BOTW a tad repetitive after a while. Another one of my hopes is that the sequel would, not only wipe the slate clean, but have a large and diverse cast of enemies.

Yes I thought the same. Lack of enemy variety was one of my biggest problems with the first game although I loved the game overall.

Majukun

that depends on the type of player you are. some like me having a permanent weapon removes a hurdle and gives me freedom to explore more.
but..you can still explore?
the difference is that with the degradation in place, the various weapons you find while exploring have an actual use.
diffferent story if weapons are permanent

Shy-Gamer

Neo Member
-For the love of god, bring back the dungeons.

-Bring back the shrines too, just in a smaller number.

-Keep the weapon breaking system but tweak it by adding a few more master sword-style exceptions to it.

-If the whole BOTW 1 map is accessible, bring meaningful changes to it.

-No need for 60fps but please no more of those far-below-30 drops

Last edited:

Majukun

but in botw weapons are never your end goal.
they are expendable tools you use for self defense and to interact with the world (mining, cut trees, kill stuff etc.)
of course spending weapons to get weapons is redundant, that's why nintendo gave you the entire chemistry system to play with, so that you can optimize your result vs expense balance, aka make meaningful decisions about your status, what you have, what you want, and act accordingly.

thing is, weapons are still used as a reward by the system (much like any currency, it's still a valuable reward even if the objective isn't the currency itself but what you can obtain with it),

but by making them indestructable you hhave cut down basicallly half of the gameplay loop

nothing to say about the last paragraph, i do hope they add a lot more "stuff" in the next game, but unbreakable weapons would throw the balance of the game out of the window, leaving it as the empty open world with at best serviceable combat that many people see when they think about botw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom