• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your least favorite 95+ Metacritic game from the 7th generation?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LBP is the easy choice but IMO The Last of Us didn't really get a lot of scrutiny for what in my eyes are quite a few shortcomings:

It's the classic naughty dog gameplay loop: Combat set piece followed by mild environment puzzling all with a side companion. Repeat.

This doesn't mean it's inherently bad, but in the case of the Last of Us the entire package doesn't stand out. The combat is okay not good and the encounters become repetitive quickly. The world building is very derivative of pretty much any other zombie ridden post apocalyptia you've ever seen. The environmental puzzles consist of moving ladders, boxes, dumpsters etc...so what's her face can get over something and then unlock a door. I didn't like the characters very much although it is remarkably well voiced throughout and the dialogue felt genuine. The sum of my time with it wasn't enjoyable and it never really blew my hair back. It has this "oh look how brutal this is, how daring" attitude and I never fully appreciated why others found that to be so new and fresh. Needless to say I find the GOAT opinions towards it puzzling.

Are you a time traveler? Seriously, you stopped posting for 6 years and are now necroing threads from the days when you did post. This is incredible.

On the topic, though, the Little Big Planet series was never any fun for me. Batman: Arkham City was disappointed as well as a follow up to Asylum. I'd go with those two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the ones I’ve played.

Bioshock - not bad overall but the combat is a janky mess.
Grand Theft Auto 4 - I liked it.
Grand Theft Auto 5 - My favorite from this selection though it does have its own problems.
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Easy and bad.
The Orange Box - HL2 is enjoyable if very overrated. Portal is decent.
Portal 2 - Played co-op and it was ok. Hopefully get around to single player some day.
Red Dead Redemption - Good but man does it get repetitive.
Skyrim - No thanks. Granted I barely gave it a chance but based on my Oblivion experience I don’t want to.
Super Mario Galaxy - Pretty cool but I easily prefer 3D World.

So the worst out of these would be Twilight Princess or Skyrim.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Probably skyrim, gta4, gta5 and zelda.

But almost every game in that list doesn't deserve 95 for various reasons...

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Most overrated game of all time. It felt like a shell of a Mario game, no life, no character, no charm or anything. It’s just going through the motions, very bland and easy game with no spine

Lanrutcon

Bioshock was pretty overrated. The writing was great up until the twist, the atmosphere was great, but the rest? *shrug*. Not sure if it's the worse on that list because I haven't played a chunk of those games.

mcjmetroid

Littlebigplanet.
I don't get it in sorry. It controls like shit.

It's like everyone got caught up in the customisation and forgot it's a 2d platforming game.

Bankai

Of the ones I’ve played.

Bioshock - not bad overall but the combat is a janky mess.
Grand Theft Auto 4 - I liked it.
Grand Theft Auto 5 - My favorite from this selection though it does have its own problems.
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Easy and bad.
The Orange Box - HL2 is enjoyable if very overrated. Portal is decent.
Portal 2 - Played co-op and it was ok. Hopefully get around to single player some day.
Red Dead Redemption - Good but man does it get repetitive.
Skyrim - No thanks. Granted I barely gave it a chance but based on my Oblivion experience I don’t want to.
Super Mario Galaxy - Pretty cool but I easily prefer 3D World.

So the worst out of these would be Twilight Princess or Skyrim.

It's all in the eye of the beholder :messenger_grinning_sweat:

My favorite games of all time:
- Bioshock
- Skyrim
- Portal 2
- The Orange Box

GTAIV takes that title and runs away with it. I feel bad for gifting the game to my cousin till this very day.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My ranking:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Zelda TP
4. The Orange Box (because of Portal, the others are irrelevant to me)
5. Portal 2 (especially that incredible 2 player coop)
---
6. Batman Arkham City
---
7. Uncharted 2
8. LittleBigPlanet
9. Grand Theft Auto 5
10.Mass Effect 2

Never played: Bioshock, GTA4, TLoU, Skyrim, RDR

Top 5 are 95+ in my book (with number 1 being my favourite game ever made), number 6 is an 80 game in my book, the others I view as terrible games.

Allandor

GTA 5. I really can't play this with those driving controls. Destroyed the whole game for me. A game with cars in its center and such bad controls, I really don't get how this could happen.

fermcr

Every game that got 95+ on Metacritic didn't deserve it.
95+ score is basically a perfect game... AND NO GAME IS PERFECT (far from it). There are always shortcomings...

Kokoloko85

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2..... damn I dont like those games.

1. Was thinking its going to be like Mario 64 and sunshine....

2. Ends up being a super tight playformer like the annoying levels from sunshine and 64.

3. I dont like fiddly, gimmicky controls where U have to wag and shake my hands For spinning and collecting Star nubs etc.

4.Yeah its a cool and unique but to me its just frustrating with the controls. Gimme a world to play in not little levels that turn upside down and spin all the time.

Finished Number one thinking it would open up.
Played number 2 till about 20 stars and thought fuck this shit this game is not enjoyable lol

Argue till this DAY with my bro about how Sunshine and Mario 64 / Odessy are better than Galaxy 1 and 2 (he loves them)

Kokoloko85

And GTA 5.

loved GTA 4. Was the only GTA I finished.

The driving in GTA 5 Im not good at.

So the first missions where u got to chase someone with a slower car, drive and shoot I was like... uh Im out

Give me GTA 4 driving or sleeping Dogs.
Not Sega Rally controls of GTA 5

GTA 4. Honestly my interest in the series just hasn’t been the same since, even if GTA 5 was a huge improvement.

Favourite from that list would be Mass Effect 2. I adored that game.

GTA IV is good, but nowhere near as good as 98/100

If I were to order them (only including those I've played) from least favorite to most favorite, the list would look like this:
Grand Theft Auto 4
Batman: Arkham City
Skyrim
LittleBigPlanet
Grand Theft Auto 5
Portal 2
The Last of Us
Bioshock
Mass Effect 2
Uncharted 2
The Orange Box
Red Dead Redemption

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Incoming hot take/shit post!

The Orange Box, but not for Portal which is good fun. For Half Life 2, which is dull as a lump of brick. Never, ever was able to understand why people love that game so much.

& Uncharted 2, which is an absolute chore of a game with a great world & characters. Just zero fun. Like, some of the absolute worst gunplay & combat design in gaming history.

Edit: lol I didn't notice this was a necro-bump. Posted before even reading the first page. Wondered why so many people were banned :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited by a moderator:
RDR2. How every single Rockstar game just gets handed 10's is beyond me. You always see them get snubbed GOTY time too b/c it's like the outlets realize after the review that the game really wasn't quite so perfect. RDR2 plays like ass and has so many annoying systems. Fuck that realism nonsense.

sobaka770

Banned
Of what I played least like in order:

- GTA4,5 - I never can get into Rockstar games. It's not my fantasy, I don't like the humor, I don't like the missions, I've played them for at least a dozen hours each so I think I gave them a fair shake but it's just not for me.
- Bioshock - I mean, I found it pretty mundane tbh. Yes there is a nice twist, but the 1960s Rapture didn't do anything for me and gameplay was mediocre at best.
- Skyrim - yes it's good game. Yes it's a huge game. Yes I had fun with it. But without mods it's a buggy mess with threadbare plot and so much freedom that you actually don't relate to your character at all. I was chief of warrior guild, mage guild, lead assassin at the same time like come on!

Echelon

GTA4 and The Last of Us were bad games because they both had terrible gameplay. They may have been tours de force in other categories, but that doesn't matter to me when you can't nail down the core aspect of the medium.

Last edited:

deafmedal

Batman: Arkham City
Bioshock
Grand Theft Auto 4
Grand Theft Auto 5
The Last of Us
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
LittleBigPlanet
Mass Effect 2
The Orange Box
Portal 2

Red Dead Redemption
Skyrim
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Uncharted 2

Red = unplayed (although I‘m fairly certain the only one I don’t own is SMG2, maybe The Orange Box but I can’t remember- I ’loaned’ my 360 and games to a buddy who was err, incapacitated for most of the gen).

Gonna go with TLoZ: Toilet Paper. Played for a couple of hours and said ehhh. I didn’t finish SMG but that was because I was done waggling about and picked up a system with normal controls lmao. I enjoyed the rest of them for the most part.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That's OP's fault for not appreciating Sackboy because what happened was Media Molecule went DEEP into creativity.

HastyThoroughHornbill-size_restricted.gif

The concept still works pretty well, (arguably one of the most difficult consoles to develop for) and they released this when Call of Duty and Halo was dominating charts.

Pejo

When a thread like this gets necro'd, it's always so curious. Like what made GetemMa GetemMa search for this particular series of search properties on this particular day 6 years after the original thread? Fascinating.

Since everyone is answering now, I'm gonna say the Mario Galaxy series. I just did not like them at all. I liked 3D World better, in fact.

dorkimoe

Grand Theft Auto 5

I was a huge GTA fan, but 5 i couldn't figure it out. I hated the multiple characters, the online made NO sense to me. The single player missions were bad, and maybe I have just given up on the driving games/missions but they sucked too

bobone

Last of Us or Uncharted.

Least fun gameplay I've ever seen in a "perfect" rated game.
Games based on shooting should have shooting that works and feels good.
It's like Naughty Dog has never played a 3rd person shooter before.
Terrible waste, their story telling should be put to better use than making shitty shooters.

I'd have to say The Orange Box. While I really enjoyed the brief experience that was Portal, I've never been wowed by the Half-Life franchise. I know I'm an outlier, but they just never grabbed me like they seem to for so many.

Nankatsu

From that list...I must have played almost all of them, but there was one that really made me quit while playing it: Zelda: Twilight Princess.

So yeah, that's my least favourite 95+ plus game of last gen.

Top Bottom